Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭C__MC

Forge83 wrote: »
    Yet you haven’t corrected me on Keegan being the dirtiest footballer in the country. O Se already has more All Irelands than Keegan.

Keegan plays on the edge like Galvin did, like Kennelly did, like the o ses did. Like the dubs do. Keegan is a class act, stifled your go to man today. It happens. Kerry will bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

So in other words as the poster said, he had him in his pocket. He is a half back, that has outscored a lot of full forwards in the country all while keeping some of the best forwards in the country quiet.

He is one of the best half backs in the country for several years.

Put the sour grapes away for a while.

He didn’t outscore O Se today... He negated him with constant off the ball fouling and got away with it. I’m sorry but that doesn’t make him a good footballer.
    No sour grapes, Mayo deserved the win today. Most of their players deserved it for some fantastic football played.

That doesn’t change most of the countries opinion of Keegan. Aidan O Se got sent off today but is a fine footballer. A couple of silly mistakes and he picked up two yellows. Big difference to a player who decides that off the ball fouling for most of the game is the most important part of his game.

C__MC wrote: »
    Keegan plays on the edge like Galvin did, like Kennelly did, like the o ses did. Like the dubs do. Keegan is a class act, stifled your go to man today. It happens. Kerry will bounce back.

Again I’d disagree, Galvin, Kennelly,O ses played on the edge when the ball was up for takes. They did some disgraceful things and brilliant things and the likes of Galvin May have been a dirty footballer but he was a footballer. Keegan plays on the edge nowhere near the ball. That’s the difference. Digging O Se in the stomach, sledging him at the other side of the field to the ball for most of the game is not football. How many times did Keegan dispossess him or get to a ball before him or block him today? I can’t recall any.

Again I’d disagree, Galvin, Kennelly,O ses played on the edge when the ball was up for takes. They did some disgraceful things and brilliant things and the likes of Galvin May have been a dirty footballer but he was a footballer. Keegan plays on the edge nowhere near the ball. That’s the difference. Digging O Se in the stomach, sledging him at the other side of the field to the ball for most of the game is not football. How many times did Keegan dispossess him or get to a ball before him or block him today? I can’t recall any.
    Are you kidding me. Take off the rose tinted glasses, I have seen your above players and Aiden omahoney do things off the ball that would get you arrested on the street. Including putting there hands down another players shorts and sticking fingers in players eyes, maybe that's okay tactics with those glasses of yours.

You wouldn't see it on camera, as the ball would be 50 metres away.

If you think keegan is any dirtier than those players then your clearly just trolling. Or are related to sos.

Are you kidding me. Take off the rose tinted glasses, I have seen your above players and Aiden omahoney do things off the ball that would get you arrested on the street. Including putting there hands down another players shorts and sticking fingers in players eyes, maybe that's okay tactics with those glasses of yours.

If you think keegan is any dirtier than those players then your clearly just trolling. Or are related to sos.

At least you are admitting that Keegan is a dirty player. I’m debating today’s game, not the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

going to throw a few wild swings after a super game today ,

1 kevin mccarthy's substitution seemed to have a negative effect on the kerry midfield and attack for the rest of the game

2 super game by gavin crowley surly a positional change would have been better then taken him off , maybe jack barry would have been a better choice

3 would sean o'sheas second half performance be a worry for kerry people , its highly unlikely ye will get a test like this until the super 8s he was picking up matthew ruane for the last 20 minutes of that game today and lost the battle badly

4 the donie buckley defense is written all over this side which is similar to mayo of the last 4 years it seemed a bit too open for kerry in the second half especially the full back line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The biggest mistake the line made was bringing James on for Data.

That left a FF line of James, Clifford and Tommy. None of them work back.

McCarthy was having a great game in Corner forward, but got run into the ground on the wing in the second half.

On top of everything our defensive system is still shaky and lead to goals after individual errors. Diarmuid was tracking Ruane from Midfield and then seemed to think Murphy had him, but they both got attracted to the ball carrier and Ruane slipped in behind. It's not as if we didn't have prior warning after the game in Tralee.

For the 2nd goal, it was Seánie O'Shea who was our Full Back defending the high ball with Diarmuid O'Connor. A full back would have been able to use their body to protect the space for Ryan to come out.

The 3 goal, despite having an extra man, we lost the kickout. That is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The biggest mistake the line made was bringing James on for Data.

That left a FF line of James, Clifford and Tommy. None of them work back.

McCarthy was having a great game in Corner forward, but got run into the ground on the wing in the second half.

On top of everything our defensive system is still shaky and lead to goals after individual errors. Diarmuid was tracking Ruane from Midfield and then seemed to think Murphy had him, but they both got attracted to the ball carrier and Ruane slipped in behind. It's not as if we didn't have prior warning after the game in Tralee.

For the 2nd goal, it was Seánie O'Shea who was our Full Back defending the high ball with Diarmuid O'Connor. A full back would have been able to use their body to protect the space for Ryan to come out.

The 3 goal, despite having an extra man, we lost the kickout. That is unforgivable.

Thoughts on Jack Barry in the middle? Sounded from the radio like he was getting the run around.

I felt very nervous about Clifford every time he got the ball. Felt like Harrison was struggling to hold him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I only saw about 10 minutes of the game yesterday. However from early in the league I have taught we have an issue with midfield. Unless Denis Moran comes back to a good level and able to stay on the pitch for the full game which is now 80 minutes we are in trouble. In the present game you need 3-4 good midfielders we have only 1-2.

I never saw Marc Griffin as an option. I think Adrian Spillane was better than him however we need to sort out how we manage this part of the field.Even with a fully fit Denis Moran and Jack Barry operating at full tilt we need another two for substitution and in case of injury. Diarmuid O'Connor may be an option but have not really seen him in action. Maybe we will need to swap out both midfielders after 60-70 minutes or maybe we need a mullocker in there for the last 20 minutes. Taking it that we have a good number of half backs, in Crowley, O'Sullivan, White, Morley and Lyne would Morley's strength be an option there for the last twenty minutes. As well his defensive abilities might help later in the game.

Of the 10 ish minutes of the game I saw towards the end of the game I think 2-3 of the foot passes were criminal that were turned over and we seemed unable to move the ball quick from defence when Mayo pressed up on us. As well for most of that we had an extra man. I taught Ryan should have held his ground for the second goal. He should have talked Sean O'Se into just holding off the Diarmuid O'Connor, I just taught it was too far to come for a ball as a goalie. The other thing I taught was lads were very tired in the last 10 minutes of the game Mayo looked further ahead in fitness or have we been doing some heavy training for the last few weeks

We will need a big step if we are to manage to get through the super 8's this year. To do that we need to solve midfield and the middle third of the pitch but mainly mid field.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I am always amazed by these threads.

After every game you will get some troll coming in throwing shapes and people feed them.

Click on the users name.

Select add to ignore list.

Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Unless Denis Moran comes back to a good level and

I don't think so. He must have 60 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I don't think so. He must have 60 years at this stage.

Sorry David Moran

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Mayo were physically stronger and more experienced and made the most of that in the 2nd half. Most of them have played in Croke Park consistently since their re-emergence in 2011. They were absolutely desperate not to lost another Final there.

Interesting they now wear blue as the alternative colour. Wonder if there is a reason behind the change from black/red last year?

Kerry were poor enough all day, the goals hid a lot of problems in the 1st half. Yet they were close enough at the end. You could argue Stephen O'Brien should have been selfish and gone for goal himself at the death, the keeper /defenders would have been distracted/preoccupied by Clifford's presence and SB could have capitilised. Still that's only a what if.

There is a lot to work on for Kerry. I wonder who from Crokes will be joining/has joined up with the panel. I think we're better off than we were this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’d agree that David Moran’s availability for the summer is crucial. Despite his limitations in terms of mobility we are lost without him in the middle. Jack and Diarmuid did ok under the circumstances but they are not strong enough as a pair and were outmatched especially in the second half.

Griffin is a liability out the field and gives the ball away far too cheaply I don’t see him as a credible option around the middle, or maybe anywhere any more. How many soft turnovers did we cough up overall in that second half? I lost count, it was frustrating to watch.

We gave away a couple of very soft goals but the defence was tiring and trying to hold back the tide at that stage while Mayo finished very strongly. Young o’sullivan was unlucky to cramp up for the final goal but it’s a sign of how far ahead Mayo are in overall conditioning and how far we have to go.

Well done to mayo who were well worth their win and we are probably fortunate that it wasn’t a rout in all honesty. Hopefully Peter Keane and co. can work our a few of our issues in the coming months and recalibrate for the summer. We have too much to do to make a run for Sam this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

The biggest mistake the line made was bringing James on for Dara.

Dara was injured coming back out for 2nd half. He was running out of the tunnel and pulled up so it was a forced sub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hard luck to Kerry yesterday, ye were in it right to the end
    I haven't seen anyone mention it but the turnovers in the final 10 minutes were criminal, coming out under no pressure and kicking it straight to a blue jersey, very uncharacteristic, it killed the momentum
    Very difficult to rectify the defensive issues when the next meaningful game will be at the end of July in the Super8s, the AI structure will kill ye, even Dublin at this rate will have more of a challenge in Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Destroyed? They seemed to negate each other if anything.
    Keegan is the dirtiest player in the country. He is not a footballer. Constant off the ball dirty play. O Se will retire with a few senior All Ireland’s though and be remembered for his talent, Keegan will not.

Wouldnt agree with you. I would argue that keegan is probably one of the most complete footballers in the game, ever. He can mark the best forwards out of games as well as anyone, he can win breaks in the middle third and rampage up the field as well as anyone, and he can attack and score as well as a lot of forwards. He has also been one of the most consistantly excellent players of the last decade. Is there another player you can think of with such a complete skillset? With that in mind, id argue that your point is very unfair.
    I dont believe he is any dirtier than most defenders out there either. People tend to just say that about him after he has just negated their leading light.

Great game with kerry yesterday. As good a league final as i can remember. They are a fine team and the fans take wins and losses in their stride. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Wouldnt agree with you. I would argue that keegan is probably one of the most complete footballers in the game, ever. He can mark the best forwards out of games as well as anyone, he can win breaks in the middle third and rampage up the field as well as anyone, and he can attack and score as well as a lot of forwards. He has also been one of the most consistantly excellent players of the last decade. Is there another player you can think of with such a complete skillset? With that in mind, id argue that your point is very unfair.
    I dont believe he is any dirtier than most defenders out there either. People tend to just say that about him after he has just negated their leading light.

Great game with kerry yesterday. As good a league final as i can remember. They are a fine team and the fans take wins and losses in their stride. Fair play

How many times has he been sent off? Very few. He's no better or worse than many other leading lights in the game.

I’d agree with this, Keegan is a colossus at the back and I would love to have him in Kerry. He does play on the edge no doubt about it and gets away with quite a bit. O’Shea did well not to react yesterday although Keegan spoiled his game entirely.

It was a good game yesterday although Kerry fell apart really in the second half. It’s one to learn from and they will be better for it I have no doubt. Congratulations again

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

we are probably fortunate that it wasn’t a rout in all honesty.

Ah now. The second goal turned the game but if that hadn't gone in Kerry had a real chance. A bit more experience and we could easily have won.
    The core of that Mayo team is on the road for 7/8 years, battle hardened hardy lads especially in the backs. We only had 3 starters from the semi final in 2017, this game will be a great lesson for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

The thing is, it's probably unfair to Keegan to label him the dirtiest player in the country. He has a high profile so he will get more media attention as a result. He is very composed on the ball and generally picks the right option. He has a good eye for a score too. However, he does what a lot of defenders do - he grapples/hangs on to/tussles with his marker (O'Shea yesterday) off the ball and so prevents the forward from making a run towards the ball. I was at the game yesterday in the Upper Cusack and watched him and O'Shea for about 10 minutes (O'Shea is no saint himself) People laud him for being a great warrior, class act, snuffing out his marker, superlative, superlative, etc, etc. but if people want to call those antics a skill, I have to wonder. IT'S NOT ALLOWED FOLKS. The officials aren't imposing the rules. Ongoing problem with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kerry37 wrote:
    Dara was injured coming back out for 2nd half. He was running out of the tunnel and pulled up so it was a forced sub

I saw that alright. In hindsight a half forward would have been a better call. Easy to say now.

As for Jack and Diarmuid. They seemed to do much better than Jack and Mark did in Tralee.

However we were cleaned out under the breaking ball. Thought Diarmuid had a brilliant first half but spent the second half on the back door. He lost Ruane for the goal.

He was extremely harshly sent off IMO. Durcan (I think) hopped on Seánie Shea. Diarmuid was pulling the two lads off each other and himself and Ruane for the yellows. Looked gutting to get the line.

Ah now. The second goal turned the game but if that hadn't gone in Kerry had a real chance. A bit more experience and we could easily have won.
    The core of that Mayo team is on the road for 7/8 years, battle hardened hardy lads especially in the backs. We only had 3 starters from the semi final in 2017, this game will be a great lesson for them.

All of that is true but I’m talking about the game as a once off and how I saw it from the stand. We were beaten in most areas but especially midfield and could have had no real complaints if we had lost by ten points.

I think a fit Moran and Geaney from the start would have made a big difference as we lacked leadership. I’m a glass half full man and am not counting us out of having a long summer but there are a lot of issues to sort out.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    The thing is, it's probably unfair to Keegan to label him the dirtiest player in the country. He has a high profile so he will get more media attention as a result. He is very composed on the ball and generally picks the right option. He has a good eye for a score too. However, he does what a lot of defenders do - he grapples/hangs on to/tussles with his marker (O'Shea yesterday) off the ball and so prevents the forward from making a run towards the ball. I was at the game yesterday in the Upper Cusack and watched him and O'Shea for about 10 minutes (O'Shea is no saint himself) People laud him for being a great warrior, class act, snuffing out his marker, superlative, superlative, etc, etc. but if people want to call those antics a skill, I have to wonder. IT'S NOT ALLOWED FOLKS. The officials aren't imposing the rules. Ongoing problem with the game.

True, but in all honesty, that is a problem with the game, not lee keegan. All players are using similar tactics, be it defenders nullifying forwards or forwards blocking the runs of defenders. Keegan seems to be the only guy doing it, according to media and some fans. Its a bit disingenuous, and one of the best players in the game deserves better than that.
    There are guys in the game today gouging peoples eyes and getting viewed as a loveable rouge, whereas guys like keegan are viewed as the dirtiest players in the game.

Dont think calling any player dirty is gonna do any good and why bother. We have had more than our share of dirty players over the years. It's called getting the job done. I can never understand these piissing contests that start, X player is dirty, yeah but so is Y. Jesus are we back in school. Keegan a fine footballer, I'd happily have him on the Kerry team and he gets the job done.
    I saw that alright. In hindsight a half forward would have been a better call. Easy to say now.

As for Jack and Diarmuid. They seemed to do much better than Jack and Mark did in Tralee.

However we were cleaned out under the breaking ball. Thought Diarmuid had a brilliant first half but spent the second half on the back door. He lost Ruane for the goal.

He was extremely harshly sent off IMO. Durcan (I think) hopped on Seánie Shea. Diarmuid was pulling the two lads off each other and himself and Ruane for the yellows. Looked gutting to get the line.

Did a Kerry player get sent off? Can't figure out what you mean from the post. Thought Aidan O Shea was the only red card yesterday

kerry37 wrote: »
    Dont think calling any player dirty is gonna do any good and why bother. We have had more than our share of dirty players over the years. It's called getting the job done. I can never understand these piissing contests that start, X player is dirty, yeah but so is Y. Jesus are we back in school. Keegan a fine footballer, I'd happily have him on the Kerry team and he gets the job done.

Did a Kerry player get sent off? Can't figure out what you mean from the post. Thought Aidan O Shea was the only red card yesterday

Diarmuid was sent off at the end for getting involved in a bit of a tussle. It was harsh. Game was over at that stage.

Diarmuid was sent off at the end for getting involved in a bit of a tussle. It was harsh. Game was over at that stage.

Ah missed that so. Saw the tussle. Didn't think much of it so didn't pay any notice to any cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

On top of the lads playing yesterday, if Kerry could get a big year out of David Moran and Gavin White it would make a big difference. Don’t think Burns would have as much of an impact but a good addition to have to the squad.

munster87 wrote: »
    On top of the lads playing yesterday, if Kerry could get a big year out of David Moran and Gavin White it would make a big difference. Don’t think Burns would have as much of an impact but a good addition to have to the squad.

Who would make way for white do ye reckon?

• Advertisement

Who would make way for white do ye reckon?

Tom O’Sullivan will probably be moved to the corner to accommodate White. It’s the only way to get both of them in the team. I’m not sure if they are going to persist with Murphy at CB, lots of places up for grabs at the back.

We look to be a while away from knowing our best team which is a worry.

Advertisement