Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Better than what 4/5 forwards? Better playmaker than Seán O'Shea? Come off it. He got a good shot at it with Kerry, just isn't up to that level. Struggled with the physicality for one thing.

Was a decent underage player and still a very good club player.

His clubmate Barry John Keane, in my view, is someone who has been treated harshly though. No point going back into that I guess.

Lyne
    Michael Geaney
    Conor Geaney

and previously

Kevin McCarthy & Killian Spillane.

I would say the only one who I dont think he's substantially better than on that list is Kevin McCarthy.

Sean O Shea isnt a playmaker or he doesnt play that role anyway - he's a great player but plays a running and scoring game - doesnt drop off and pick passes.

There seems to be an obsession with hard working player like Lyne/M Geaney but these guys offer very little football wise while the obsession with Killian Spillane seems to only be based on nonsense notions of 'good breeding' as there are several in the county more deserving of a place in there than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Jury was very much out on Savage by the time he fell off the panel and management probably wanted to give others a shot. Spillane and Geaney were promising underage players in fairness, not sure if they will make it at this stage but I wouldn’t be critical of Keane for trying. Lyne is a different player entirely, a hard running half back / half forward that is there to do a specific job at times. Mikey is one of those guys with a high ceiling but a very low floor to the point where he can be totally anonymous, don’t know what to make of him really. Tomas O’Se said in a recent article that he should be starting.

Kevin McCarthy is a far superior player to Savage from what I have seen of them and he has that physicality that Savage lacks, he really had the potential to be a standout player, what a waste.

Jury was very much out on Savage by the time he fell off the panel and management probably wanted to give others a shot. Spillane and Geaney were promising underage players in fairness, not sure if they will make it at this stage but I wouldn’t be critical of Keane for trying. Lyne is a different player entirely, a hard running half back / half forward that is there to do a specific job at times. Mikey is one of those guys with a high ceiling but a very low floor to the point where he can be totally anonymous, don’t know what to make of him really. Tomas O’Se said in a recent article that he should be starting.

Kevin McCarthy is a far superior player to Savage from what I have seen of them and he has that physicality that Savage lacks, he really had the potential to be a standout player, what a waste.

I really couldn’t disagree more on McCarthy- never seen him to do anything at a decent level. Don’t let intermediate games cloud your judgement.

Lyne is nowhere near upto county standard, shouldn’t even be in the equation

I really couldn’t disagree more on McCarthy- never seen him to do anything at a decent level. Don’t let intermediate games cloud your judgement.

Lyne is nowhere near upto county standard, shouldn’t even be in the equation

I thought McCarthy was good in the league final against Mayo and has had good games in the past. He has had a stop start career with Kerry alright but I felt he had a lot of potential and was always a standout in training by all accounts, looks like it is over for him now though so we’ll never know.

Agree on Lyne I wouldn’t have him in there myself and when everyone is available I doubt he makes the 26 we have a tonne of injuries right now so it may be skewing selections a bit. My point was that I don’t think he was ever competing directly with Savage for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great day yesterday for the hurlers, Seniors beating Offaly and the u17s beating Waterford in the Celtic Challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

So for the Super 8s it's looking like Galway in Killarney, followed by Donegal in Croker, followed by Meath in Navan.

Assuming we beat Cork, and assuming Galway and Meath get through their round 4 qualifier game, which isn't guaranteed considering Mayo and Tyrone are lurking around in the qualifiers. And that Donegal win Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

mystic86 wrote: »
    So for the Super 8s it's looking like Galway in Killarney, followed by Donegal in Croker, followed by Meath in Navan.

Assuming we beat Cork, and assuming Galway and Meath get through their round 4 qualifier game, which isn't guaranteed considering Mayo and Tyrone are lurking around in the qualifiers. And that Donegal win Ulster.

Easy on there mystic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Easy on there mystic.

That's the part you chose to highlight? :D

Idle speculation is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's the part you chose to highlight? :D

Idle speculation is all.

Yes, that's why I put it in bold.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I just watched the hurling v Offaly on TSG. Wtf are those jerseys you wore . I thought Kerry changed strip was blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

cjmc wrote: »
    I just watched the hurling v Offaly on TSG. Wtf are those jerseys you wore . I thought Kerry changed strip was blue

Gold jerseys were designed for an anniversary year just gone. Normally they would be blue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think the gold jerseys are awful

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think the gold jerseys are awful

They are truly awful. I love the black goalkeeper jersey it’s a pity they didn’t choose that as the away jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

They are truly awful. I love the black goalkeeper jersey it’s a pity they didn’t choose that as the away jersey

Didnt Paul Galvin design the gold jerseys

"Back to gold" was the slogan used

Didnt Paul Galvin design the gold jerseys

"Back to gold" was the slogan used

Yes, and the colour is hideous. Maybe some people like them, I don’t know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Delighted to see Conor Cox do so well with Roscommon against Galway. Just curious how he is still playing with Listowel Emmets and not in Roscommon. Has he work commitments in Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I read an article on it a while ago.

He tried to transfer to St. Brigid's, but the Seanie Johnson rule was getting in the way. He would have had to to play Club Championship football for St. Brigid's before lining out with Roscommon. He would have missed nearly all of the League campaign. However if you have a parent from a county you can remain with your home club and play county with a different county.

I'm delighted for him. Don't understand everyone from other counties trying to convince Kerry people that he is a massive loss to Kerry either mind you. He had chances with Kerry and just couldn't produce consistently.

I watched a lot of him at Junior Level with Kerry where he sparkled. The games didn't have the intercounty speed and the marking was a little bit looser so he could get more space. It will be interesting to see how gets on in the Super 8's now that he is Roscommons big scoring threat. If a team has a dedicated Man Marker on him, it will give us a good indication of the progress that he has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Does he travel from Listowel for the Roscommon training sessions?
    That's a 6 hour round trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Big surprise in the Kerry team, as Dara Moynihan comes in at 15!

http://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1141779906419920902

Is Dara not the obvious replacement for the injured JOD? Only reason Dara didn’t start against Clare was because he was injured himself.

That’s a good strong looking team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Dara Moynihan not really a surprise though. Would have started against Clare if not injured.

Looks like our best available team. 5/6 point win over Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how gets on in the Super 8's now that he is Roscommons big scoring threat. If a team has a dedicated Man Marker on him, it will give us a good indication of the progress that he has made.

Didn't Murtagh score more than him against Galway and so far this year too. Roscommon have some decent footballers, could just do with a few more, I think he's an addition to a half decent forward line rather than the star. He'd occupy a good defender.

Roscommon seem to fade a bit when the tempo goes up. I've noted before that they seem to be a bit leggy compared to say Galway or Mayo. You are right though you'd have to wait and see on the issue.

Galway were terrible in the second half against Dublin in the League, the heads went down and did so again the last day a bit. He didn't really have a hungry intercounty defender on him either.

Maybe the Roscommon style suits him more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think your being extremely optimistic regarding galway and meath making the super eights. I'd still be tipping Monaghan Tyrone mayo well ahead of them

Stoner wrote: »
    Didn't Murtagh score more than him against Galway and so far this year too. Roscommon have some decent footballers, could just do with a few more, I think he's an addition to a half decent forward line rather than the star. He'd occupy a good defender.

Roscommon seem to fade a bit when the tempo goes up. I've noted before that they seem to be a bit leggy compared to say Galway or Mayo. You are right though you'd have to wait and see on the issue.

Galway were terrible in the second half against Dublin in the League, the heads went down and did so again the last day a bit. He didn't really have a hungry intercounty defender on him either.

Maybe the Roscommon style suits him more too.

I think it is the nature of Cox’s scores that are getting the attention rather than the amount. He is not especially prolific averaging a couple of points a game but some of them are absolutely spectacular efforts. His highlight reel is going to be great.

O’Ceallaigh is not a good man marker and I think Cox will find the going harder in the Super 8’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

C__MC wrote: »
    I think your being extremely optimistic regarding galway and meath making the super eights. I'd still be tipping Monaghan Tyrone mayo well ahead of them

Monoghan, Mayo and Tyrone are on the other side of the qualifiers they have two matches before the play the losing provincial finialists. Will they all survive this weekend maybe but if Tyrone or Mayo do not paly there A game they have tricky opponents.Then they all go into the one pot Monday morning. There is achance that two of them could draw each other, you would would also have the like of Kildare, Westmeath and Derry fancying there chances if they had home advanatage and got that far. Cannot see all three getting to the final play off and would not be surprised if only one of the three made it to the S8's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Monoghan, Mayo and Tyrone are on the other side of the qualifiers they have two matches before the play the losing provincial finialists. Will they all survive this weekend maybe but if Tyrone or Mayo do not paly there A game they have tricky opponents.Then they all go into the one pot Monday morning. There is achance that two of them could draw each other, you would would also have the like of Kildare, Westmeath and Derry fancying there chances if they had home advanatage and got that far. Cannot see all three getting to the final play off and would not be surprised if only one of the three made it to the S8's

If Donegal lose Ulster then Tyrone cannot draw them in Round 4 and thus Tyrone cannot land in the group with Roscommon and (likely) Dublin
    Thus they statically have a greater chance of landing in (likely) Kerry's group

If Cavan lose Ulster then Monaghan cannot
    draw them in Round 4 and thus Monaghan cannot land in the group with Roscommon and (likely) Dublin
    Thus they statically have a greater chance of landing in (likely) Kerry's group.

Mayo have statistically an equal opportunity to land in either group as the team that beat them, Roscommon, will not be in Round 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Thoughts on yesterday?

- Defensively all over the place. Backs bombing up the field to score is great. But when they run into trouble and are turned over, we have gaps all over the shop. We are terrible under the high ball. We have no defensive spine through the middle. Sherwood excelled as a full back with Crowley at CHB in the League. He contributed well yesterday at times winning his individual battles but when it came to covering the runners through the middle, he David Moran and Jack Barry were easily bypassed. Morley did a lot right and a lot wrong. The penalty was a silly foul. Foul him outside the area or try to force him to overcarry. Don't drag him down for a penalty.

- Goalkeeper? Against Dublin in the League, Ryan came for a ball to punch and skewed it wide. Against Galway he came to punch and missed it for a Galway goal. Against Mayo in the League final, Ryan came for a ball and missed it for a Mayo goal. Against Cork he once again came for a ball, missed it for a Cork goal. The goalkeepers job is to keep the ball out of the net. Good kickouts are a bonus. Shane Ryan contributes to the opposition scoreboard too often. I still think we persist with him. He has a great kickout, made a brilliant save and hadn't a hope for the other 2 goals. However the fact that he is costing us a goal every second game with his ineffective way of contesting the high ball needs to be ironed out. Our other option in goals Brian Kelly got caught with the exact same thing against Mayo in 2017 (same feckin player even Diarmuid O'Connor)

- Midfield. A lot of short kickouts so hard to judge. I thought David Moran was brilliant in the end when we needed a big man to get on the ball or break a kickout to a green and goal jersey. Jack Barry did a lot of running but once again didn't seem to offer us anything in attack.

- Forwards: Great showing from O'Shea and Clifford, though both had long stretches without having the ball in attacking areas. When they got possession they utilised it well. Geaney was ineffective once again. My caveat for this is that Clifford and Geaney were dragged from the second they stepped onto the pitch. Cork fans (and other 'neutrals') complaining about the referee is laughable! Their backs never tried to play fair and then they looked surprised when the ref finally did give a free against them.
    Diarmuid and Dara we're quiet enough but both kicked good scores and worked tirelessly. Diarmuid had a few lovely footpasses as well.

Stephen O'Brien was my man of the match. From start to finish he ran at the Cork backs causing problems. Then he would track back and tackle, he won vital breaking ball when the game was in the melting pot.

Subs: I thought Gavin Crowley did very well when he came on. Won two massive breaks at the end of the game. Adrian Spillane gave us more of an attacking threat at Midfield. O'Beaglaoich was a turnover machine when he came on. Not a good showing, physically looked outmatched. Didn't notice Mark Griffin that much (which isn't the worst thing considering his last two outings). Micheal Burns gave us an nice boost and linked defence and attack well.

Overall we had some nice individual performances but struggled to put any sort of defensive system into use, which will cost us come the Super 8s. Backs are easily blown past and physically we are struggling in defence and up front at times. Geaney doesn't contribute when a phsyical back takes a hold of him.

Galway won't be as disappointed today as they were last week. Looking forward to a Super 8 game against us (qualifiers permitting) instead of ending up in Dublin's group seems a shrewd move now. The winners of Donegal and Cavan also have a big incentive to win. Both teams play a strong running game which we will struggle to contain. A lot of work to do over the next 3 weeks for Keane and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If Donegal lose Ulster then Tyrone cannot draw them in Round 4 and thus Tyrone cannot land in the group with Roscommon and (likely) Dublin
    Thus they statically have a greater chance of landing in (likely) Kerry's group

If Cavan lose Ulster then Monaghan cannot
    draw them in Round 4 and thus Monaghan cannot land in the group with Roscommon and (likely) Dublin
    Thus they statically have a greater chance of landing in (likely) Kerry's group.

Mayo have statistically an equal opportunity to land in either group as the team that beat them, Roscommon, will not be in Round 4.

Monoghan gone, Mayo, Tyrone, Westmeath,Kildare, Clare, Laois, Armagh and either Sligo and Offally go into the pot Monday morning While Mayo, Tyrone, Kildare and armagh would be considered the strongest four it is unlikly they will all avoid each other. Home advantage will be a big factor as well but looking at last night games six of the seven were away wins with only Westmeath winning at home.

Was down in Cork last night but even though it was a tighter game than last year and Kerry looked to struggle at time I be happier going into the Super 8's. Last 20 minutes playing with 14 men and some lads really stood up. We had subs that came on and either did a job or changed the game. Mike Burns in particular looked like a young BJK when he came on and got a vital point. Gavin Crowley as well worked hard and carried the ball well from half back when he came on. Adrian Spillane was busy as we ground out the result. Griffin and o'Beaglaoich were only on the field or 8-10 minutes so hard to judge but you could see the energy in the extra fresh legs.

I taugh the team that started did well but we conceeded goal chances that will have to be looked at and got lazy in the early part of the second half. But a few of the chances and goals could have been easily snuffed out by being more alert. Moran left a Cork player past him easily from about 40 yards for a goal chance. The goalie was virtually left one on one in the square with a high ball comming in with a defender that was too far in front. The penalty again was a runner comming through taht was not dealt with. We could tighten up a lot by defenders when involved in an attack dropping back 10-15 yards when play moves away from them. This helps to be in the right place if a counter attack happens.

Next game is in Killarney against a qualifier in the S8's. All we can do is train and wait. A good start in the S8s' is vital if we are to get into the semi finals. But I be happier heading there than last year as we seem to have a bit of a bench.

Slava Ukrainii

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Thoughts on yesterday?

- Defensively all over the place. Backs bombing up the field to score is great. But when they run into trouble and are turned over, we have gaps all over the shop. We are terrible under the high ball. We have no defensive spine through the middle. Sherwood excelled as a full back with Crowley at CHB in the League. He contributed well yesterday at times winning his individual battles but when it came to covering the runners through the middle, he David Moran and Jack Barry were easily bypassed. Morley did a lot right and a lot wrong. The penalty was a silly foul. Foul him outside the area or try to force him to overcarry. Don't drag him down for a penalty.

- Goalkeeper? Against Dublin in the League, Ryan came for a ball to punch and skewed it wide. Against Galway he came to punch and missed it for a Galway goal. Against Mayo in the League final, Ryan came for a ball and missed it for a Mayo goal. Against Cork he once again came for a ball, missed it for a Cork goal. The goalkeepers job is to keep the ball out of the net. Good kickouts are a bonus. Shane Ryan contributes to the opposition scoreboard too often. I still think we persist with him. He has a great kickout, made a brilliant save and hadn't a hope for the other 2 goals. However the fact that he is costing us a goal every second game with his ineffective way of contesting the high ball needs to be ironed out. Our other option in goals Brian Kelly got caught with the exact same thing against Mayo in 2017 (same feckin player even Diarmuid O'Connor)

- Midfield. A lot of short kickouts so hard to judge. I thought David Moran was brilliant in the end when we needed a big man to get on the ball or break a kickout to a green and goal jersey. Jack Barry did a lot of running but once again didn't seem to offer us anything in attack.

- Forwards: Great showing from O'Shea and Clifford, though both had long stretches without having the ball in attacking areas. When they got possession they utilised it well. Geaney was ineffective once again. My caveat for this is that Clifford and Geaney were dragged from the second they stepped onto the pitch. Cork fans (and other 'neutrals') complaining about the referee is laughable! Their backs never tried to play fair and then they looked surprised when the ref finally did give a free against them.
    Diarmuid and Dara we're quiet enough but both kicked good scores and worked tirelessly. Diarmuid had a few lovely footpasses as well.

Stephen O'Brien was my man of the match. From start to finish he ran at the Cork backs causing problems. Then he would track back and tackle, he won vital breaking ball when the game was in the melting pot.

Subs: I thought Gavin Crowley did very well when he came on. Won two massive breaks at the end of the game. Adrian Spillane gave us more of an attacking threat at Midfield. O'Beaglaoich was a turnover machine when he came on. Not a good showing, physically looked outmatched. Didn't notice Mark Griffin that much (which isn't the worst thing considering his last two outings). Micheal Burns gave us an nice boost and linked defence and attack well.

Overall we had some nice individual performances but struggled to put any sort of defensive system into use, which will cost us come the Super 8s. Backs are easily blown past and physically we are struggling in defence and up front at times. Geaney doesn't contribute when a phsyical back takes a hold of him.

Galway won't be as disappointed today as they were last week. Looking forward to a Super 8 game against us (qualifiers permitting) instead of ending up in Dublin's group seems a shrewd move now. The winners of Donegal and Cavan also have a big incentive to win. Both teams play a strong running game which we will struggle to contain. A lot of work to do over the next 3 weeks for Keane and Co.

I thought Sherwood was very, very poor - everything Cork did came through the centre and he was all over the place. I think he was at fault for about 2-4 of cork's scores and for a few other chances they missed. He is so easily turned that it's worrying and doesnt have the pace to recover.

Defensively we were a complete shambles yesterday and I really cant fathom how we were so bad so I'll have to watch it back.

I thought Moran was decent and won his individual battle but Jack Barry is a good bit off this level in my opinion - there are 122 midfielders playing county league football and an SOS has to go out here as we need a change asap.

Clifford was excellent and carried us to be honest, the 2 Kenmare lads were patchy but good in more patches than they were bad. Surprised SOB got man of the match as I thought Deane & Clifford were more influential.

Paul Geaney seems to be going backwards every time I see him play and I'd be surprised if he keeps his place. I really thought, about 2 years ago, that he was the best inside forward in the country and I dont know what has happened since.

There are very, very few positives to take away from that performance to be honest, if anyone thinks different then IMO they are deluding themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

I thought Sherwood was very, very poor - everything Cork did came through the centre and he was all over the place. I think he was at fault for about 2-4 of cork's scores and for a few other chances they missed. He is so easily turned that it's worrying and doesnt have the pace to recover.

Defensively we were a complete shambles yesterday and I really cant fathom how we were so bad so I'll have to watch it back.

I thought Moran was decent and won his individual battle but Jack Barry is a good bit off this level in my opinion - there are 122 midfielders playing county league football and an SOS has to go out here as we need a change asap.

Clifford was excellent and carried us to be honest, the 2 Kenmare lads were patchy but good in more patches than they were bad. Surprised SOB got man of the match as I thought Deane & Clifford were more influential.

Paul Geaney seems to be going backwards every time I see him play and I'd be surprised if he keeps his place. I really thought, about 2 years ago, that he was the best inside forward in the country and I dont know what has happened since.

There are very, very few positives to take away from that performance to be honest, if anyone thinks different then IMO they are deluding themselves

In short.
    Sherwood not a Centre back. Switch with Morley at full back.
    Gavin Crowley showed enough to challenge Morley and Foley for a starting spot.
    Brian O Beaglaoich too soft under physical contact to be considered going forward. Think Graham O Sullivan is a guy we should be using more.

Moran and Barry were poor. Both just off injuries so a slight benefit of the doubt given to keep their places. However couldn’t agree Morans performance was a positive, No clean catches, easily ran past by Cork players, slowing ball down running into contact. His failed flick near end of match nailed down for me that he was Kerry’s worst player yesterday considering his ability. To challenge for top honors you have to have a midfield leader, we do not have one at the moment.
    I think whoever does the Kerry player stats will have a very negative stat report on Moran.

Paul Geaney is a great footballer but his attitude is very poor all year. I wonder how his relationship with Clifford is.... could there be a bit of jealousy there now that he isn’t the no1 anymore.

Poor Tommy Walsh getting no run after a positive league. Would it be mad to consider him at full back?

Advertisement