Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Walsh isn’t mobile enough to trust at full back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It would be utter lunacy to put Tommy Walsh at full back.

If that’s the answer then we are better off giving walk overs in the super 8s and just running off the county championship early

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

munster87 wrote: »
    Walsh isn’t mobile enough to trust at full back

I’m not really suggesting it. Just asking the question.

I think his lack of mobility is a bit of a myth. Yes he’s a big man but he has trimmed down big time and is relatively fast in relation to most full backs.
    He won a huge amount of ball in front of defenders in the league.

Now I’m not saying he has the defensive ability, that I have no idea about.
    But from a physical perspective, he may deter teams from targeting our full back line with high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Having watched it back many of our problems in defence stemmed from Gavin White. Great speed but defensively very poor. Pushed past with ease. Gavin Crowley in there should make us more solid defensively.

Sherwood actually had a much better game than I though and despite a mistake for the Cork penalty, made several vital tackles. Those were mainly when he was coming out from the full back line where he looks more comfortable.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Having watched it back many of our problems in defence stemmed from Gavin White. Great speed but defensively very poor. Pushed past with ease. Gavin Crowley in there should make us more solid defensively.

Sherwood actually had a much better game than I though and despite a mistake for the Cork penalty, made several vital tackles. Those were mainly when he was coming out from the full back line where he looks more comfortable.

Would Gavin White be a better option as a running midfielder with Diarmuid O Connor dropping to midfield for kick outs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Forge83 wrote:
    Would Gavin White be a better option as a running midfielder with Diarmuid O Connor dropping to midfield for kick outs?

Diarmuid not physical enough yet for midfield IMO. It would be trying to shoehorn White into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Do ye know if there's any forwards with a Meath Mammy or Daddy playing for the Juniors this year?

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well we now know we will have Donegal in our group along with two other teams Galway or whoever beats them and Meather or whoever beats them. Potentially a group of death wuth Galway and maybe Mayo, Tyrone or Armagh. However the draw for the next two rounds will decide a lot.

Potentially a tough group for us but we have our first match as a home match. We will need to win that to have a chance of making the semi's. Donegal looked excellent today. So far they are the only team I have seen that may be able to match Dublin this year.

Slava Ukrainii

Forge83 wrote: »

I would like to see White at midfield.

I was watching White last night and last year he was a revelation. However I think him being part of the Croke's team is a huge disadvantage to him. He needs to spend a winter doing strenght and conditioning work. He seem to look as if he lacks that winter training that has bought other player of his age on that is required at County level. I am not sure if he has the Strenght for Midfield.

I think the issue we have at the monment is we need another player or two with strenght and work rate for the nmiddle third. In the modern game you really only need two inside forward we need another physical player in the middle third. Whle Stephen O'Brien and Sean O'Se have the strenght and pace for it, Moran and Barry are not fully up to speed yet. The rest of the HB's and HF's are nice footballers with little phisical presence. Maybe as the year progresses they will develop taht along with Barry and Moran upping there game. Mind you yesterday was better than 2-3 training sessions.

Geaney is another worry we have waited for nearly 18 months for him to turn it on he is a shadow of the player of 2-3 years ago but maybe he is going well in training. I think a lot is down to who we put in at Center Back and i think Jack Sherwood is hardly good enough to start unless an Aidan O'Mahoney type role is the plan for him later in the tear and i do not think he has the ability for that role

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

What about Sean O SE at midfield? He will be stifled by blanket defenses in the half forward line. Might be a better playmaker from slightly further out. Has the ability to contest high ball, high work rate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Forge83 wrote: »
    What about Sean O SE at midfield? He will be stifled by blanket defenses in the half forward line. Might be a better playmaker from slightly further out. Has the ability to contest high ball, high work rate etc.

Sean effectively plays there anyway as a third midfielder I would like to see him further forward actually.

Gavin White is a too light for midfield, yes he can run but I think any decent sized midfielder would brush him off easily. He also has a tendency to cough up cheap turnovers and fumble the ball on the solo. I’m not fully sold on him yet tbh but with a bit of composure and more strength work he could be an excellent half back.

David Moran and Jack Barry are both only coming back from injuries I don’t think we need to panic yet at midfield. I wonder whether we’d benefit from putting Adrian Spillane in there as well and dropping jack back to cover some of that space between midfield and our full back line? It should shore things up a bit and free up Sean O’Shea to play as a forward.

Much to ponder for Peter Keane, on the plus side our efficiency up front is good and Clifford and O’Brien in particular are excellent. Paul Geaney will be looking over his shoulder after last night he is a shadow of the man we saw from 2014-17.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Excellent news from Tullamore - Kerry have won the Celtic Challenge final by 7 points!

http://twitter.com/games_hurling/status/1144959527378460673

Monoghan, Mayo and Tyrone are on the other side of the qualifiers they have two matches before the play the losing provincial finialists. Will they all survive this weekend maybe but if Tyrone or Mayo do not paly there A game they have tricky opponents.Then they all go into the one pot Monday morning. There is achance that two of them could draw each other, you would would also have the like of Kildare, Westmeath and Derry fancying there chances if they had home advanatage and got that far. Cannot see all three getting to the final play off and would not be surprised if only one of the three made it to the S8's

Well I reckon I was not too far wrong. With Galway thrown it only two if the big four guns from the back door will come through.

Cork looks good to be in Roscommon and Dublin's group along with Tyrone more than likely. Ours is harder to call but it could have been way worse. Home game against Galway or Mayo up first then away to Clare maybe but more than likely Meath. After that we have Donegal

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well I reckon I was not too far wrong. With Galway thrown it only two if the big four guns from the back door will come through.

Cork looks good to be in Roscommon and Dublin's group along with Tyrone more than likely. Ours is harder to call but it could have been way worse. Home game against Galway or Mayo up first then away to Clare maybe but more than likely Meath. After that we have Donegal

It's Mayo/Galway first in Killarney
    Then Donegal in CP
    Then Meath/Clare away.

Game 1 is critical, win that and it takes the pressure off the Donegal game knowing that you are likely to get a win in game 3

Lose it, and the pressure is really on.

[/B]

It's Mayo/Galway first in Killarney
    Then Donegal in CP
    Then Meath/Clare away.

Game 1 is critical, win that and it takes the pressure off the Donegal game knowing that you are likely to get a win in game 3

Lose it, and the pressure is really on.

I agree but group could have been a group of death if Meath had drawn Tyrone. It not undoable to reach a semifinal

Slava Ukrainii

With Mayo missing Keegan, D O Connor, Ruane and now possiblly Brendan Harrison and Aidan O Se(both doubts) for the Galway game, Galway may turn them over. Would much rather Galway in Killarney than Mayo.
    Donegal would be the real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Some trek by the Kerry Juniors to Glasgow

No flights available so they went by bus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some trek by the Kerry Juniors to Glasgow

No flights available so they went by bus

......and a boat I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

james carr me arse , this was the greatest goal in gaelic football history and we are only just recovering from it now 22 years later :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

james carr me arse , this was the greatest goal in gaelic football history and we are only just recovering from it now 22 years later :P

Ah c'mere, self praise is no praise.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well folks, ahead of the game next week, what's the safety capacity of Fitzgerald stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Barlett wrote: »
    Well folks, ahead of the game next week, what's the safety capacity of Fitzgerald stadium?
    The official capacity is 43,180 from Wikipedia but I wouldn't think that will be a problem - There was 25K a few years ago when Tyrone turned up so I would imagine 30-35K max will be there?

davegilly wrote: »
    The official capacity is 43,180 from Wikipedia but I wouldn't think that will be a problem - There was 25K a few years ago when Tyrone turned up so I would imagine 30-35K max will be there?

They will reduce the allowed capacity because there is only one game so everyone will be arriving together. Probably allow around the 30k or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Best spot for a few scoops in Tralee on Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

What are we hoping for now with this 1/4 final group confirmed. I think we have to be putting Meath away even though travelling to Navan wont be ideal, at least we have a 2 week break before that after the Donegal game in Croke Park.

As much as we need to win at home next weekend to get off to a good start as well as being at home, I unfortunately think Mayo will make bits of this Kerry team. Donegal should have too much experience and know how to get the job done but I feel theres an outside chance of us pulling out a result against them.

Saying all that, bookies have Kerry favourites ahead of Donegal and Mayo to reach the semi finals so what do I know.

I can see us beating Mayo in Killarney and winning in Navan too. Think we go through in second hopefully. Dublin in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Think we'll lose our first two games and the trip to navan will be meaningless.

Clearly hope I'm wrong.

dobman88 wrote: »
    What are we hoping for now with this 1/4 final group confirmed. I think we have to be putting Meath away even though travelling to Navan wont be ideal, at least we have a 2 week break before that after the Donegal game in Croke Park.

As much as we need to win at home next weekend to get off to a good start as well as being at home, I unfortunately think Mayo will make bits of this Kerry team. Donegal should have too much experience and know how to get the job done but I feel theres an outside chance of us pulling out a result against them.

Saying all that, bookies have Kerry favourites ahead of Donegal and Mayo to reach the semi finals so what do I know.

We need to beat Meath and either Mayo or Donegal. Next weekend is huge for this Kerry team and could define their year. All is not lost if we are beaten but it would be a huge setback to lose our home game.

Kerry are still a bit of an unknown quantity so it is difficult to make any sort of prediction until after the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Think we'll lose our first two games and the trip to navan will be meaningless.

Clearly hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately I agree with this.

Advertisement