Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is the game up on RTE player? Can't find it. Would appreciate if someone could link me to it.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-sunday-game-live/SI0000001909?epguid=IH000379317

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks Dob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Shane Enright, thought he had played himself out of contention over the past year or so. I’ve been a critic myself. He was fantastic yesterday. Does he start against Donegal now?

munster87 wrote: »
    Shane Enright, thought he had played himself out of contention over the past year or so. I’ve been a critic myself. He was fantastic yesterday. Does he start against Donegal now?

Said the exact same to my brother last night. Have never rated him and he put in an unbelievable shift yesterday. Should start against Doengal imo, that game would be made for him physically

dobman88 wrote: »
    Said the exact same to my brother last night. Have never rated him and he put in an unbelievable shift yesterday. Should start against Doengal imo, that game would be made for him physically

He even looked composed on the ball. Deserves the start. Donegal are much stronger on the forwards than Mayo though, will be a test.

• Advertisement

He even looked composed on the ball. Deserves the start. Donegal are much stronger on the forwards than Mayo though, will be a test.

Will be a bigger test all over the pitch tbf. Kerry had Mayos number on Sunday, from 1-15, kickouts, the whole lot. And even though Kerry played fantastically and arent getting much credit for their performance, Donegal wont be as poor as Mayo were.

We will need Moran to be on top form again to try and battle Murphy. Luckily Donie Vaughan seems past it and they only had to keep O Shea quiet but Murphy is a different animal.

Will be a bigger test all over the pitch tbf. Kerry had Mayos number on Sunday, from 1-15, kickouts, the whole lot. And even though Kerry played fantastically and arent getting much credit for their performance, Donegal wont be as poor as Mayo were.

We will need Moran to be on top form again to try and battle Murphy. Luckily Donie Vaughan seems past it and they only had to keep O Shea quiet but Murphy is a different animal.

Yeah Murphy is probably the best all round player in the country. Could actually play him anywhere. When they went a few points clear of Meath around the 60 min mark he just went and sat back between the half back and full back line when Meath had possession. Hopefully won’t get a chance to sit back like that next weekend.

Yeah Murphy is probably the best all round player in the country. Could actually play him anywhere. When they went a few points clear of Meath around the 60 min mark he just went and sat back between the half back and full back line when Meath had possession. Hopefully won’t get a chance to sit back like that next weekend.

I think we will need as fast a start as we saw in Killarney but Donegal will be expecting it so I'd expect them to sit in and take the pressure for a while and break at pace. They're well able to take a lot of pressure, well organised and disciplined enough to hold positions. Should give us a good indication of where Kerry are and what else needs improving if we are to progress.

Tbh, if we manage an all Ireland semi this season, its massive bonus territory for me. I wasnt expecting anything like that performance against Mayo so not getting too excited just yet but they're in better shape now than they were this time last year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Enright, Crowley and Spillane have all surely done enough to keep their places for next week. JOD will probably lose out in the forwards.

Was hard to fault any of the starting team in fairness

• Advertisement

Should be a confidence boost for Shane Ryan too. No mistakes and fantastic save from penalty.

Enright, Crowley and Spillane have all surely done enough to keep their places for next week. JOD will probably lose out in the forwards.

Who would come in for James? I think he did well in that roaming playmaker role. Hes not up to it as an inside forward anymore since the shoulder injury, he never takes on the man anymore but he seemed to be loving his football yesterday.

Who would come in for James? I think he did well in that roaming playmaker role. Hes not up to it as an inside forward anymore since the shoulder injury, he never takes on the man anymore but he seemed to be loving his football yesterday.

Dara Moynihan? I’d love to see Kevin Mac back, I know there may be reasons. Went to the club finals this year and I know it was intermediate but I’ve rarely, if ever seen a player dominate a match so easily.

Dara Moynihan? I’d love to see Kevin Mac back, I know there may be reasons. Went to the club finals this year and I know it was intermediate but I’ve rarely, if ever seen a player dominate a match so easily.

Think Kev Mac has done too much damage off the pitch to get back on the panel imho. Great player but he doesnt do himself any favours. I like Dara Moynihan, have enjoyed watching him since the Hogan cup and he's really matured as a player. Will he be ready for and experienced Donegal team? I'm not sure but he did well when he came on at half time yesterday.

Yeah I thought he did ok for the most part bar one sloppy turnover and kicking one in to the goalies chest from close range.

Moynihan, Burns or Diarmuid O’Connor would be the options I suppose. That said I would have no issue if James keeps his place. Does anybody know why he was taken off early?

Edit: I’d love to see Kevin back as well but unfortunately I don’t think we will see him for a while again, if at all. I think he is a very good player that could have had a breakout year, and he has that toughness you need now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Watching it back and even ignoring the Mayo kickouts, Mayo just didn't look tuned in at all - it wasn't a game that went away from them, this was from the get-go. They looked lively in the first minute but after Keegan's opening point Kerry took a short kickout and ran it down the field, working it through the hands and short dinky footpasses just so so easily - what was noticeable was the number of Kerry lads who got possession and passed it on with no Mayo player managing to get close enough to tackle them - (I think possession changed hands 11 times) and Mayo managed to make 4 tackles 2 of them frees (and another of those was borderline a foul as well as it was very lazy tackling). Sean O'Shea pointed the 2nd free for Kerry's first score. This was the 2nd minute of the game and Clarke had taken no kickout at this stage. Whatever is the opposite of intensity was there from the get-go for Mayo.

While the defence did better than the Cork game (hard not to says you), I would not be getting any way excited about this performance given Mayo made so many unforced errors, looked way below average in terms of intensity, were beaten up a stick at midfield, the supply of ball into the forwards was woeful and yet still managed to score 0-15 points (even if 5 of those points were after the 60 minute mark and the game had petered out)

Havent seen the Donegal Meath game, only highlights but I'd be very very wary of Donegal's running game causing Kerry's backs serious problems next week. A lot of Donegal's scores seemed to come from Meath's backs struggling to deal with being run at. Mayo barely seemed to run at Kerry at all instead opting to kick poor ball in. The quality of this ball in was very poor - a serious amount of the ball in was easily intercepted and of that percentage that wasn't intercepted a serious chunk was not forward friendly (far far more of it was 50/50 ball as opposed to 70/30 or 80/20 favouring the forward ball).

We've 2 points in the bag and we'll have a shot off Donegal the next day but my fear is that will be more talk about Kerry's defence before the year is done.

Watched it back too. That low pass from Clifford that Geaney almost got to. Unbelievable vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Watched it back too. That low pass from Clifford that Geaney almost got to. Unbelievable vision.

Yeah - you could put together a fair high light reel of assist passes from his Kerry career already.

As someone said to me today - if the U21 age grade and the rules about senior participation hadn't been changed he would have been able to line out for the Kerry U21s next year. Boggles the mind to imagine what he'd be doing to defenders at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Encouraging performance on Sunday. Mayo may well have been flat but nobody has beaten that Mayo bunch by as much in Championship in recent times.

Small bit of a concern about impact we can have from the bench if things aren't working/injury in the forwards. It's only a matter of time before Clifford is targeted imo. We had Dara Moynihan, Micheal Burns, Killian Spillane, Tommy Walsh as our options from off the bench in the forwards on Sunday.

Moynihan, Burns & Spillane are unproven at this level and I don't think you could call any of them game changers without being harsh. Tommy does offer something a little different if required. JOD a possible impact option, I'm not sure I'd see him starting the next few games in his current vein of form.

Donegal on Sunday will be a tricky proposition. The physicality they have throughout the panel is something I'd be concerned with our lads dealing with. All fine footballers to boot, too.

Any suggestions who from our side picks up Michael Murphy? Which of our backs will have the physicality for Paddy McBrearty? Perhaps Paul Murphy/Gavin White will tag Ryan McHugh? Stephen O Brien on Eoghan Ban Gallagher?

Cautiously optimistic, but this will be a proper test for sure.

Playing Meath in Navan at 6pm on Saturday August 3rd. Fantastic time for a game on a bank holiday weekend, much better than 4pm on a Sunday in Croke Park like this week. Should get good numbers travelling for a game at that time.

• Advertisement

Tickets up on tickets.ie for the Meath game now. I dont know how big Pairc Tailteann is but its general admission so worth buying early if you're going imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry u20's getting an absolute schooling from Cork. Getting embarrassing here. Kerry look like they don't want to be there.

It's often said that Cork are more physical at u20 level. They are. They are also faster, better trained, harder workers and on this display far better footballers 1 to 15. Their forward line have been incredible, scoring with pretty much every attack. Swatting the Kerry lads away with ease.

Is this knockout DDC?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry u20's getting an absolute schooling from Cork. Getting embarrassing here. Kerry look like they don't want to be there.

It's often said that Cork are more physical at u20 level. They are. They are also faster, better trained, harder workers and on this display far better footballers 1 to 15. Their forward line have been incredible, scoring with pretty much every attack. Swatting the Kerry lads away with ease.

Management haven’t really reacted to the game at all.

Management haven’t really reacted to the game at all.

If there's one thing you can really on Jack to do it's to change nothing when you're being destroyed.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If there's one thing you can really on Jack to do it's to change nothing when you're being destroyed.

Think he went home 20 minutes ago

keane2097 wrote:
    Is this knockout DDC?

Yeah Munster Final.

Gone.

Jack tactically outwitted again. Kerry look miles off it.

Cork taking the piss now. A third goal. 3:15 to 0-11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Kerry won the corresponding minor game by 10 points 2 years ago. Can a 24 point turnaround be put down to losing Clifford and O Connor?

It’s some tonking. I didn’t fancy Kerry for this competition, when they won that minor in 2017 David Cliffords influence was utterly ridiculous. He scored 2-8 against cork when they hammered them in Munster that year according to Aodhan in the commentary, and four goals in the All Ireland final. They were always going to struggle without him and O’Connor.

That said, this looks a serious Cork side. Some of the points were sublime and they dominated all over the field. They should have a good say in who wins it.

Is it time for Jack to step aside or does he get another shot? In fairness to him the new format has done him no favours by taking away his best players two years running but at the same time Kerry looked lost this evening.

• Advertisement

Cork wanted it. Look at Blake Murphy (Cork number 11) being interviewed. Its like an All Ireland. He's in tears. It means so much to him. That's why they were first to every ball. That's why they turned out lads over time and time again.

Fair play.

Hope our Seniors take note.

Advertisement