Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

eigrod wrote: »
    Kerry won the corresponding minor game by 10 points 2 years ago. Can a 24 point turnaround be put down to losing Clifford and O Connor?

Sure Clifford scored 2-08 two years ago. Lost by 13 there now. He’s probably improved more since then than anyone on the pitch tonight too since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is it time for Jack to step aside or does he get another shot?

He does in his hole.

Diarmuid O Connor would be a difference too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

keane2097 wrote: »
    He does in his hole.

Lol :):) yeah I agree but is his agreement up or does he have another year? Doubt the CB will want to rock the boat with him.

That was so poor tonight though I think he should realise it is time to give someone else a shot. It’s very conceivable now that all these minor wins will not yield a single U21 / U20 title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Is it time for Jack to step aside or does he get another shot?

Jack O'Connor reminds me of Jose Mourinho, a once good manager with a great CV but hasn't moved with the times and looks like a puzzled and frustrated figure nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

munster87 wrote: »
    Management haven’t really reacted to the game at all.

I'm fairness one of the selectors seemed to be too busy filling out his tax returns to watch what was going on on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Well at least that’s the end of Jack

Was a good manager but a few years past his sell by date

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Congratulations to the Kerry Juniors in completing a 5 in a row of titles. Defeated Galway today by ten points, 3-14 to 0-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Best of luck to the kerry team tomorrow and safe journey to all travelling to Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Best of luck to the kerry team tomorrow and safe journey to all travelling to Croke Park.

Bring the coats and change of clothes I'd say. Set for a deluge tomorrow apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Strange old game today but happy with the draw.
    Intensity definitely dropped a notch from last week.
    The loss of Moran huge, most likely knee tendinitis again I’d imagine.

Anybody know why T O SE saw red so quick?
    Also James O Donoghue injured again?
    Also No Dara Moynihan...

Positives-
    Defense strong overall.
    Gavin Crowley fantastic today.
    Paul Geaney and Stephen O Brien fantastic today.

Negatives-
    We reverted to running the ball and hand passing too much. Went away from the fast kick pass into the forwards that worked last week.
    We do not have a midfield without Moran. Spillane is a great worker but is a headless footballer. Michael Murphy from a standing position just walzing past Him in the last few mins to set up a point was a massive brain fart. On that note Enright was burnt for pace with ease twice. This will be exploited big time in the semi finals.
    The biggest negative for me however is the lack of impact our subs have. Donegal make changes and most of them make a positive impact, most of ours leave me scratching my head. Mark Griffin is like an over excited Labrador who just falls over from excitement. Burns can only run the ball, is limited in every other aspect of the game. Jonathan Lyme also an athlete, not a footballer. Sherwood offered us something in attack, but not in defense. T O SE no comment obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone else at the game who didn't know that Thomás O'Shea was sent off?

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Anyone else at the game who didn't know that Thomás O'Shea was sent off?

I saw him getting red but didnt see the incident. Just watched the game back there and it looked like he might have thrown a punch but him and his man were moving off camera as the ball was being played backwards at the time. Have the Sunday game on now so hopefully they caught it and we can put the curiosity to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Forge83 wrote:
    Anybody know why T O SE saw red so quick? Also James O Donoghue injured again? Also No Dara Moynihan...

He struck the Donegal player in the back of the head. Idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

DDC1990 wrote: »
    He struck the Donegal player in the back of the head. Idiotic.

Did the Donegal player not strike him first?
    Just watched the replay and that’s what it looks like to me.
    Both more slaps than strikes really.

Nothing on the Sunday game about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Forge83 wrote:
    Did the Donegal player not strike him first? Just watched the replay and that’s what it looks like to me. Both more slaps than strikes really.

Looked worse in the flesh tbh. Looked like a push rather than a strike there.

Good to see the treatment of Seanie being highlighted. It was shocking all day. Clifford as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Looked worse in the flesh tbh. Looked like a push rather than a strike there.

Good to see the treatment of Seanie being highlighted. It was shocking all day. Clifford as well.

watch clifford leaving the field at the end , the jersey is nearly ripped off him

It’s a point that I have been making all year- our bench is very weak and some of the panel selections are absolutely baffling.

If you think that Lyne or Tom o se are in the best 30 players in the county then you aren’t watching enough club football.

These lads are barely in the top 30 forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It’s a point that I have been making all year- our bench is very weak and some of the panel selections are absolutely baffling.

If you think that Lyne or Tom o se are in the best 30 players in the county then you aren’t watching enough club football.

These lads are barely in the top 30 forwards

Who else would you have on the panel. This time last year we had one point on the board and needed Galway to beat Monoghan for us( which they did not do) to qualify as well as beat Kildare by 5-6 points. Our faith is in our own hands this year.

I think Keane had a tough job but is bring the team on faster than I taught he could. While we cannot beat Dublin this year we will be in a much better position next year. Everybody was harping on about Donegal missing 3 defenders, both od what were our first choice midfielders of the Munster final were missing( no matter what you think of Jack Barry he be excellent to bring on 20 minutes to go). Adrian Spillane will more than likly be ahead of Barry now.
    Yes I agree that maybe he should have been more ruthless with older players but Enright has played well both games while Griffin and O Donoghue have failed to make an impact on games. Killian Young we have not seen yet and I be surprised if he is used at any stage. Moynihan I presume was injured and with Moran injured it left Keane tight with subs. The bench is better than last year but still needs improving.

There are a lot of pluses from yesterday. Even with our errors we still did not lose, we showed great composure to come back up and get a point ahead. The ref gave a few harsh frees against us as well as ignoring the treatment dished out to O'Shea and Clifford but they might get more protection in a semifinal. Killain Spillane played well and may have nailed down a starting position. Geaney is back on form. We missed 2-3 goal chances if we start to convert them we will be much more dangerous. O'Shea missed a free if not two and Clifford a point or two at the start of the game.

The big thing is we are improving with every game and now have a game against Meath to top the group and play the 2nd team in the other group. I have taken taht at the start of this

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well,

What to make of that.

First off- the standard of officiating is so frustrating at times. It's a common complaint. We need replays and a ref in each half. The linesmen are a joke. All people want is consistency. I didnt think either were black cards and the free at the end was a dive.

Positives:

The pace of the game was very noticiably quicker than the Mayo Meath game. Both teams were flying fit and went at it hammer and tongs.

Defence was excellent. Kerry were penetrating much easier.

Without Moran we won a good bit of breaking ball around the middle.

Very few pot shots from distances bar one from Geaney. Worked our scores very well and kicked ball into space.

Serious character at the end. They worked the clock and got the score.

Negatives:

Clifford missed his first one and one and twice after elected to pass instead of backing himself. Should have had a hat trick.

We had no answer for Murphy's influence.

No Moran- hopefully it's not serious.

Leaving Croke Park I felt like it was one we left behind us but it's in our own hands against Meath so happy enough. Would have taken that in advance of the group.

Peter Keane said Moran would be alright for the Meath game. Shouldn’t be bothered playing him in that, unless we are struggling, with a possible semi final a week later.
    If we play Dublin this year at some stage I hope they don’t get Bass above in to do a motivational speech! ‘Cannot beat Dublin’

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

munster87 wrote: »
    Peter Keane said Moran would be alright for the Meath game. Shouldn’t be bothered playing him in that, unless we are struggling, with a possible semi final a week later.
    If we play Dublin this year at some stage I hope they don’t get Bass above in to do a motivational speech! ‘Cannot beat Dublin’

I would not as a fan be putting pressure on young lads and expect them to beat Dublin. I think we will have a serious crack at either team in a semifinal and may make the final. We should be further along as a team than we are but that is because of previous management not present management.

My expectations this year were to qualify out of group and have a serious crack at any team in semifinal. We are learning fast as a team and starting to show maturity. But we still lack 2-3 players IMO. We will miss Peter Crowley from now on as a onfield leader and for his big game experience. We can drive on but Dublin are a much more experienced team. If Tyrone best them next week end they will probably go on to win the championship. There fullback line is very old but may be able to cope with that. The only issue I see is there tendency to bring back some older players. Fitzmaurice fell into that trap as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭50HX

Would agree with bass

This has to be seen as 2-3 year plan and in fairness peter keane is doing very well with such a young/inexperienced group

Eamon Fitz said as much last night when he referred to this team really peaking when these younger players hit 22/23 and are more physically developed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

watch clifford leaving the field at the end , the jersey is nearly ripped off him

Ah the poor little lamb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have you ever seen Keegan and Connolly leave the field ?

There's no nearly about it.

And before anyone replies, I know they are completely different situations.

Anyway Timmy Moynihan was on his high horse again last night on Terrace Talk about the treatment the Kerry forwards were getting.

Good to hear him read out a few texts thought reminding him that Kerry can give as good as they get in the form of at hit on Murphy in the 2009 final.

Have you ever seen Keegan and Connolly leave the field ?

There's no nearly about it.

And before anyone replies, I know they are completely different situations.

Anyway Timmy Moynihan was on his high horse again last night on Terrace Talk about the treatment the Kerry forwards were getting.

Good to hear him read out a few texts thought reminding him that Kerry can give as good as they get in the form of at hit on Murphy in the 2009 final.

Why must every complaint be met with whataboutery?

Both situations can be wrong- the treatment dished out to Clifford and o shea on Sunday was fairly ludicrous and should been dealt with.

If anything highlighting previous instances makes recent instances more damning for refs & the GAA as they haven’t learned or changed a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why must every complaint be met with whataboutery?

Both situations can be wrong- the treatment dished out to Clifford and o shea on Sunday was fairly ludicrous and should been dealt with.

If anything highlighting previous instances makes recent instances more damning for refs & the GAA as they haven’t learned or changed a thing

Because Kerry football fans are traditionally a shower of whinge bags, constantly bemoaning the way the game is now played and constantly complaining about the treatment their players get while ignoring the fact that they have had a good share of toe rags doing the same thing themselves over the years.

Because Kerry football fans are traditionally a shower of whinge bags, constantly bemoaning the way the game is now played and constantly complaining about the treatment their players get while ignoring the fact that they have had a good share of toe rags doing the same thing themselves over the years.

The above isn’t exclusive to any county.

If you’re not allowed to have indiscretions against your team penalised because one of your players committed a foul 10 years ago then why bother playing with a ref as every team has lads who have committed fouls.

By your whataboutery logic- defenders when playing against mayo should be immune from red cards because of Keegans behaviour when marking Connolly.

Its pure idiocy and just because an incident from 10 years ago wasn’t punished- it makes an incident today no less wrong and doesn’t mean that it’s ok not to punish it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

50HX wrote: »
    Would agree with bass

This has to be seen as 2-3 year plan and in fairness peter keane is doing very well with such a young/inexperienced group

Eamon Fitz said as much last night when he referred to this team really peaking when these younger players hit 22/23 and are more physically developed

Kerry should be hitting their prime in the next few years, according to Gaelic stats the peak years for a footballer are between 23 and 27 inclusive.

Interestly from the latest Leinster final the Dublin players who played averaged at 27.2, which suggest a decline is incoming over the next 2/3 years just when Kerry should be coming into their prime.

Interesting times ahead

Advertisement