Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yerra what would you expect from the Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

It's a bad hit and should be dealt with accordingly but are we really going down the road of posting every belt from club games on social media?

Clearly not, seeing as you could count the amount of them posted here this year on one hand.

It's a bad hit and should be dealt with accordingly but are we really going down the road of posting every belt from club games on social media?

It would stop alot of the cheap shots from those that afraid to do it on the street but think its okay to do it on a football pitch with impunity. One thing two players face to face punching but this was a complete blindsided punch. Could of been a worse outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Think its the first one I've seen on this thread and I only posted as its just so bad. If we were going to post all of them you could pick a few cases from every club weekend.

Tbf, that's about as bad a hit as I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

It would stop alot of the cheap shots from those that afraid to do it on the street but think its okay to do it on a football pitch with impunity. One thing two players face to face punching but this was a complete blindsided punch. Could of been worse.

was it a punch or a headbutt? Can't rightly tell..

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    who is that number 9, where is the team sheet? Crazy

This was easier to find than I thought it would be. Not sure how accurate it is.

https://twitter.com/LegionGAA/status/1152644013197004801?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Would you prefer if scumbag's were left get away with a four match ban for this kind of carry on?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what parent is going to encourage their child to play football knowing this carry on is capable of happening?

And then the likes of your comment is trying to trivialize what happened, it's not a bad hit.

It's an outright cowardly vicious assault that resulted in serious life changing injuries for the victim who had no chance to defend himself.

You think that's okay because the attacker is wearing a GAA jersey?

To be quite honest your attitude to this incident disgusts me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

cms88 wrote: »
    Interesting to see three from Kilgarvan and no one atall from Ballyduff orKilmoyley

Shows the all the underage coaching is paying off throughout the county.

Some serious work going on in schools and underage hurling is flourishing.

Great to see lads outside the big 8 North Kerry clubs playing well with Kerry hurlers.

10 years ago Kerry were average in Christy Ring, now they are holding their own in Joe McDonagh cup.

The standard was really high yesterday from them.

I noticed Matthew Flaherty and Barry Dan o Sullivan senior footballers from Dingle started for Kilmoyley v Abbeydorney in Kerry SHC last weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Would you prefer if scumbag's were left get away with a four match ban for this kind of carry on?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what parent is going to encourage their child to play football knowing this carry on is capable of happening?

And then the likes of your comment is trying to trivialize what happened, it's not a bad hit.

It's an outright cowardly vicious assault that resulted in serious life changing injuries for the victim who had no chance to defend himself.

You think that's okay because the attacker is wearing a GAA jersey?

To be quite honest your attitude to this incident disgusts me.

Climb down from your high horse there a second..

I said nothing trivialising the incident, so gets your facts straight before we move onto opinions first of all.

"It's a bad hit and should be dealt with accordingly" - that's exactly what I said on the incident.

IF the Legion 9 is reported for dangerous striking, as he should be given the referee clearly saw it, he will most likely not play until 2020.

On a slightly separate, but related issue, quite a few issues like this involving Legion in last few years for whatever reason. They are not a club noted for this at all to be fair, so don't know where this has come from.

Climb down from your high horse there a second..

I said nothing trivialising the incident, so gets your facts straight before we move onto opinions first of all.

"It's a bad hit and should be dealt with accordingly" - that's exactly what I said on the incident.

IF the Legion 9 is reported for dangerous striking, as he should be given the referee clearly saw it, he will most likely not play until 2020.

On a slightly separate, but related issue, quite a few issues like this involving Legion in last few years for whatever reason. They are not a club noted for this at all to be fair, so don't know where this has come from.

You might think I'm on a high horse and that is your prerogative.

I have my facts straight, I saw what happened.

"He will most likely not play until 2020 IF he is reported".

He should be facing a trail in the Circuit Criminal Court for that cowardly assault and missing a few games of Gaelic football should be the least of his worries.

Anyone trying to minimise what happened in that clip would want to have a serious chat with themselves about whether they are involved in the right sport.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yerra what would you expect from the Rock
    Scandalous comment in fairness

JFlah wrote: »
    Scandalous comment in fairness

Jaysus you're easily scandalised.

In case it needs clarification I was talking about gobdaws on the sideline pulling out their phones at the first hint of handbags so they can get a video to send to joe.ie

Edit: and the 'yerra' was meant to imply that it was tongue in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

keane2097 wrote: »
    In case it needs clarification I was talking about gobdaws on the sideline pulling out their phones at the first hint of handbags so they can get a video to send to joe.ie

Edit: and the 'yerra' was meant to imply that it was tongue in cheek
    Fair enough, I misinterpreted it. I missed the yerra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

You might think I'm on a high horse and that is your prerogative.

I have my facts straight, I saw what happened.

"He will most likely not play until 2020 IF he is reported".

He should be facing a trail in the Circuit Criminal Court for that cowardly assault and missing a few games of Gaelic football should be the least of his worries.

Anyone trying to minimise what happened in that clip would want to have a serious chat with themselves about whether they are involved in the right sport.

I've said what I want to say anyway. You can continue to use your imagination on my opinions if you wish.

You seem to post mainly about incidents like this instead of actually discussing football on this thread, which is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    A Crokes man and Tralee Parnells man as well.

Another Parnells man ob the subs also. Can only be a good thing if more South Kerry players start making these panels

I've said what I want to say anyway. You can continue to use your imagination on my opinions if you wish.

You seem to post mainly about incidents like this instead of actually discussing football on this thread, which is interesting.

I abhor outright thuggery in any sport, different sports have different standards, but in all fairness that kind of attack wouldn't be allowed in any octagon, boxing ring or in any martial arts competition.

Do you have any empathy at all for the victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Was talking to a fella at the game yesterday about this incident. He said the Legion number 9 was the Stacks manager previously and the stacks man on the receiving end is Ronan Shanahan. Can anyone shed any light on it. A fairly ferocious incident and only a 4 game ban for it.

https://twitter.com/KillarneyKnight/status/1156873637762359297?s=19

I think you got a bit of the wrong end of the stick there- Stephen Stack the current Legion manager was Austin Stacks manager previously.

4 games for this is pitiful - but pitiful is the standard for GAA in terms of handing out punishments.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think you got a bit of the wrong end of the stick there- Stephen Stack the current Legion manager was Austin Stacks manager previously.

4 games for this is pitiful - but pitiful is the standard for GAA in terms of handing out punishments.

That makes a lot more sense, ty. I didnt properly hear the man I was talking to yesterday and didnt want to get into the conversation cos the game was about to throw in.

Thanks for clarifying.

Another Parnells man ob the subs also. Can only be a good thing if more South Kerry players start making these panels

10 different clubs represented on the panel, add Ballyduff and Kilmoyley and that’s 12 clubs to pick from going forward.

Good signs for the future of Kerry hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Legion GAA should never again allow that tramp put on a Jersey again.. And I assume they looked after the stacks player medical expenses.. That legion lad is some disgrace... Clear intent to do what he did

conor05 wrote: »
    10 different clubs represented on the panel, add Ballyduff and Kilmoyley and that’s 12 clubs to pick from going forward.

Good signs for the future of Kerry hurling

The fact O' Connor was also in charge of the U20 can only be good. This year really showed the need to start looking outside of North Kerry for players

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

South Kerry would have a very competitive senior hurling team if they entered the Senior hurling championship, there is at least 6 or 7 players that would make any of the North Kerry clubs

What are peoples thoughts on this season? A definite improvement on the last couple of years anyway. A league final appearance beaten by a very experienced and hungry Mayo side, beating Dublin in Tralee on the way. Getting out of that poxy super 8 group with the best performance I've seen in recent years against Mayo. Everyone I've spoken to has said the Donegal game was one of the games of the season but it didn't feel like it in croke park, it just felt dead and like the game just ticked along. The game in Navan was getting the job done and had a great atmosphere with a good travelling support in the 9,000 that were there.

I think no matter what happens against Tyrone, it's a few steps in the right direction and players have gained some massive experience this year. Unfortunately the Dublin juggernaut doesnt seem to be stopping any time soon so we will have to see where the next few years take us.

I think failing to get to the final as it stands now would be a huge disappointment. Getting to the final would confirm a great season but I think a loss at this stage to a Tyrone team I don't think much of would spoil it a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

dobman88 wrote: »
    Everyone I've spoken to has said the Donegal game was one of the games of the season but it didn't feel like it in croke park, it just felt dead and like the game just ticked along.
    I'm glad it wasn't just me!

There was absolutely no atmosphere in Croker that day, the game never really took off, for me anyway. Croke Park really ruins atmospheres at games now, especially when they aren't knockout and the place is only half full.

Id imagine the same game in Limerick or Salthill would have had a rocking atmosphere of the game played out the same. It's really come to the time where Croker should only be used for semi finals and finals and play everything else at provincial grounds. If the Super 8's have done anything, it's shown the great games and atmospheres at packed provincial grounds around the country.

Back to the task at hand - it will be some battle against Tyrone next Sunday. I will be going there more in hope than expectation to be honest. I have no doubt Kerry are a better footballing team but the experience and toughness of Tyrone will be tough to beat. Those Kerry lads will come off that pitch knowing they have been in a game and if they manage to win then it should stand in great stead for the final against Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

davegilly wrote:
    There was absolutely no atmosphere in Croker that day, the game never really took off, for me anyway. Croke Park really ruins atmospheres at games now, especially when they aren't knockout and the place is only half full.

100% agree on this. A good game, but played at about 70/80% of true championship intensity, plus the fact that the result (win or lose) was not absolute, with both teams knowing the result of the next game would determine progression (although in hindsight Donegal must regret they didnt win).

South Kerry would have a very competitive senior hurling team if they entered the Senior hurling championship, there is at least 6 or 7 players that would make any of the North Kerry clubs

To be fair they have one of the best under 21 prospects in the county too. Donal o Sullivan from Kilgarvan.

Himself, Barry Mahony and Shane Conway are the 3 best young hurlers in the county.

I can never understand why Kenmare and Kilgarvin don't enter as South Kerry and they can then play in the intermediate themswlves

• Advertisement

I can never understand why Kenmare and Kilgarvin don't enter as South Kerry and they can then play in the intermediate themswlves

I think the long term plan is to have South Kerry team and a combined Dr Crokes/ Tralee Parnells team.

That would make a 10 team Kerry SHC

Advertisement