Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think failing to get to the final as it stands now would be a huge disappointment. Getting to the final would confirm a great season but I think a loss at this stage to a Tyrone team I don't think much of would spoil it a fair bit.

I think the preformance is as important next weekend as is the result. I would not consider it overly negative if we fail to make the final. We need a certain amount of things to go right. At present ourselves and Dunlin are the only teams that have not lost a game. Admittedly we have drawn one. Consider we were missing Moran for the Donegal game and Jack Barry for most of the championship. Peter Crowley's injury as well was a loss. But we have coped well with these issues. Tyrone will be fresher after resting a lot of players last week.mit will be all to playing for but I consider it a lot better season than the last two unless we fall flat on our faces Sunday

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

cms88 wrote: »
    I can never understand why Kenmare and Kilgarvin don't enter as South Kerry and they can then play in the intermediate themswlves

I think the biggest thing that is holding it back is that the South Kerry clubs would rather win an intermediate rather then have a right crack off the senior
    And then there is that rule if a player plays in the senior championship then he cant play in the intermediate

No North Kerry team in the intermediate championship semi finals this year

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I think the biggest thing that is holding it back is that the South Kerry clubs would rather win an intermediate rather then have a right crack off the senior
    And then there is that rule if a player plays in the senior championship then he cant play in the intermediate

I think Kilgarvan could win intermediate.

Lixnaw or Kilmoyley for the senior.

Very hard to see Lixnaw beaten if Shane Conway continues his scoring prowess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

But if they played as South Kerry in the seinor they would surely still be able to play in the Intermediate the same as in football

But if they played as South Kerry in the seinor they would surely still be able to play in the Intermediate the same as in football

The North Kerry clubs wouldnt allow that, they would be looking for everyone to have the rules

Thats the biggest reason there is no North Kerry teams in the semi finals of the intermediate championship, the teams have lost players to the seniors

• Advertisement

The North Kerry clubs wouldnt allow that, they would be looking for everyone to have the rules

Thats the biggest reason there is no North Kerry teams in the semi finals of the intermediate championship, the teams have lost players to the seniors

To promote adult hurling outside of North Kerry that would have to be looked at.

I understand your point about the North Kerry clubs losing players but they still get to enter two teams from one club into both championships at the start of the year.

Kenmare, Dr Crokes, Tralee hurling etc all exist in football areas and would not have the player base of North Kerry teams who are all based in a hurling stronghold radius.

I think if South Kerry entered a team and still could play with their own clubs in Intermediate championship it could benefit the club hurling scene as a whole.

A trial run would be worthwhile

The North Kerry clubs imo are left away with too much. No worrys about being
    relegated etc

I know some of them are ver yagainest the idea of Tralee Parnells as they claim they're losing out on players. Players they had nothing to do with developing

The North Kerry clubs imo are left away with too much. No worrys about being
    relegated etc

I know some of them are ver yagainest the idea of Tralee Parnells as they claim they're losing out on players. Players they had nothing to do with developing

Agreed.

I have no doubt that a fully complemented South Kerry senior team would beat Ballyheigue at present.

I am not knocking Ballyheigue they are doing great work now at underage but it must be 4 or 5 years since they last won a SHC match.

conor05 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I have no doubt that a fully complemented South Kerry senior team would beat Ballyheigue at present.

I am not knocking Ballyheigue they are doing great work now at underage but it must be 4 or 5 years since they last won a SHC match.

I think the last time Ballyheigure won a championship game was 2011? Could be wrong on that.

Team announced
    Shane Ryan
    Jason Foley
    Tadgh Morley
    Tom O'Sullivan
    Paul Murphy
    Gavin Crowley
    Shane Enright
    David Moran
    Adrian Spillane
    Gavin White
    Sean O'Shea
    Stephen O'Brien
    David Clifford
    Paul Geaney
    Killian Spillane

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Minors struggling a bit at HT.
    7 points to 5 down. Big wind however.

Really poor decision making so far but a big 30mins to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Minors struggling a bit at HT.
    7 points to 5 down. Big wind however.

Really poor decision making so far but a big 30mins to go.

The inside line love to take a shot- even when there are lads in better positions.

Kicked it away

Big result for Causeway last night. Could they finally go all the way this year? I think it would be a good thing for hurling if they were to do it

Insipid stuff. We are so far off it physically. Our game plan suiting Tyrone to a tee.

We knew for 2 weeks McShane and Donnelly would be inside and Tyrone would kick it. Murphy exposed massively at sweeper.

With the wind and the way Tyrone defend this game is over already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Crowd of 33,848

That was brilliant

Slava Ukrainii

DDC1990 wrote:
    With the wind and the way Tyrone defend this game is over already.

I was so negative at half time. Embarrassingly so.

Very proud of this group of lads. Mighty second half performance.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I was so negative at half time. Embarrassingly so.

Very proud of this group of lads. Mighty second half performance.

I did not see any way out either. I taught we would get a 8-10 point hammering. Absolutely immense second half. Tactically Keane got every change right. And when he got the nose in front he took off defenders and put in attackers. He has really expanded the panel. I could not see Fitzmaurice winning a game in that situation..

We missed Gavin Crowley for kickouts when he went corner back. Will have our work cut out.in final.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We never recover from flat starts like that. It was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

keane2097 wrote: »
    We never recover from flat starts like that. It was unreal.

You club man the difference. Huge performance from him and he looked well fired up. Even got stuck into a bit of shiithousery with the Tyrone keeper on the way to kick a 45 which was great to see. Slow the play down after we got the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ive had a lot of good days in croke park. That was up there.

So satisfying. We have a punchers chance in the final. We thumped Mayo. Dublin thumped Mayo. Dublin didnt hammer Tyrone last year.

We certainly have a chance to exorcise the demons of 82.

Im so grateful to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Whatever the result in the final, it'll bring those lads on leaps to play Dublin in a final. And as has been mentioned, hopefully anything can happen in a one off game.

Either way we will get to see history made and I was sat next to a man who was at the 82 final and he said once they got over the loss and moved on, he only has fond memories of the time and the game.

dobman88 wrote: »
    You club man the difference. Huge performance from him and he looked well fired up. Even got stuck into a bit of shiithousery with the Tyrone keeper on the way to kick a 45 which was great to see. Slow the play down after we got the goal.

He did very well. It's a nice thing for him when everyone thought he was washed up and lads you'd want to see the graft he's putting in for the club for the last bunch of years - it's nice to get a bit of a pay off.

A gentleman to go along with it, same as David. I'm delighted for them.

Getting to the final is a great achievement. Dublin are all but untouchable, they'll probably destroy us to be honest. The best we can do is bring absolutely everything we have and hope something goes wrong for them. Anyway I suppose success in a lot of ways is getting the best of yourself - I feel that after our league performances, the Mayo and Donegal games and then that second half today we can be happy enough that we're being as much as we can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Delighted for Tommy Walsh today! What an impact he had. He was obviously way down Keane’s list start of super 8s. Injuries and poor subs performance pushed him up to get on against Meath and again today.
    Our leaders stood up when they were needed and it’s been a long time since that has happened.
    Keane will have learned so much from today’s game, some positive and some things that need to be changed.

A few thoughts positive and negative re Final-
    Tom O Sullivan can limit Con O Callaghan’s threat. Destroyed Harte today. Nailed on for an All Star surely.

Adrian Spillane isn’t a good enough footballer, he’s just a work horse. A first half all out man marking only job on Fenton maybe with Sherwood or Barry on then for second half. Or will Keane be brave and give Sherwood the nod from the start.

Tommy Walsh can give our scoring forwards a platform to score. He has to be considered to start ahead of Killian Spillane. I like K Spillane but it’s prob a year early for him.

Dublin will try and isolate Mannion on Foley after what McShane did today.How is Keane going to deal with this?

Gavin White will probably get his place back at half forward. Will Enright or Begley take the half back spot?. Personally I don’t like the thought of either of them there against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fair play to the team and management, a great comeback.

They played Tyrone at their own game from the start and won it with skill and class without it ever becoming a dirty game.

These lads are well capable of beating Dublin on the day, it's going to be a classic final.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

As well as Tommy, I thought Sherwood did well after coming on, he stood up and was counted, carried the ball well.

Another factor worth remembering is very few Tyrone players played the match last weekend so they had a 14 day break in general. Kerry had a bit of a slog against Meath last weekend an eight day turnaround. Kerry performance should be viewed in relation to that. Mayo looked tired yesterday. Tyrone had a bit more blow in the first half and any wind advantage. However it was Keane getting across to player to run at Tyrone in the second half and the substitutions had an impact.

Slava Ukrainii

munster87 wrote: »
    As well as Tommy, I thought Sherwood did well after coming on, he stood up and was counted, carried the ball well.

Sherwood made a very big impact even before Tommy started winning ball, fair play to him.

For the first time ever we are going into an All Ireland final as underdogs

No pressure on us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

For the first time ever we are going into an All Ireland final as underdogs

No pressure on us

Ah yeah, there’s no pressure on these young bucks to stop the 5, if they don’t they’ll be giving a pat on the back & told ‘well done for trying’...

Advertisement