Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Seadin

For the first time ever we are going into an All Ireland final as underdogs

No pressure on us

And a great chance to beat Dublin. Fine team this Kerry team are. I be confident kerry will give Dublin a rattle. If be enough it be hard to tell but the pressure will be on Dublin to deliver the 5 in a row. Its been a great year for Kerry to get to final with Keanes first year in charge. Anything is possible in final. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Tackle on Shane Ryan was a Red Card IMO. Very high and a swinging arm. He's a tall lad as well, hard to catch a guy like that high without trying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

EICVD wrote: »
    Ah yeah, there’s no pressure on these young bucks to stop the 5, if they don’t they’ll be giving a pat on the back & told ‘well done for trying’...

Rattled :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

keane2097 wrote: »
    He did very well. It's a nice thing for him when everyone thought he was washed up and lads you'd want to see the graft he's putting in for the club for the last bunch of years - it's nice to get a bit of a pay off.

A gentleman to go along with it, same as David. I'm delighted for them.

Getting to the final is a great achievement. Dublin are all but untouchable, they'll probably destroy us to be honest. The best we can do is bring absolutely everything we have and hope something goes wrong for them. Anyway I suppose success in a lot of ways is getting the best of yourself - I feel that after our league performances, the Mayo and Donegal games and then that second half today we can be happy enough that we're being as much as we can be.

While we all know how formidable this Dublin team are, just when did Kerry ever go up to Croke Park with such a humble attitude, either team or supporters?? It's not helpful and it's not Kerry.

We go up there in the full belief that we can win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Great effort from our lads today in that second half. Huge performances all over the field.

We are 9/2 for the final. It would be a massive upset if we manage to win. I suspect Dublin will be too experienced and too good for us but you never know. We are much better than I expected us to be this year.

The matchups for the final are pretty daunting. O’Callaghan, Mannion, Kilkenny, Fenton and McCaffery. Who will be charged with looking after these guys? Never mind Howard and McCarthy.

That’s something Peter Keane and his team will be working on but for today well done to everyone associated with the panel. I did not see a final appearance this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Great effort from our lads today in that second half. Huge performances all over the field.

We are 9/2 for the final. It would be a massive upset if we manage to win. I suspect Dublin will be too experienced and too good for us but you never know. We are much better than I expected us to be this year.

The matchups for the final are pretty daunting. O’Callaghan, Mannion, Kilkenny, Fenton and McCaffery. Who will be charged with looking after these guys? Never mind Howard and McCarthy.

That’s something Peter Keane and his team will be working on but for today well done to everyone associated with the panel. I did not see a final appearance this year.

Dublin will probably be too physical for us. However they have to sort Match up as well. McCaffrey will be on O'Brien if card recinded. But who will pick up Geaney, Clifford and O Shea. They will put Fenton on Moran. Do you put Spillane on MDM. Do you start Tommy Walsh or Killian Spillane. Keane seems to be able to change direction of a game.

I think it will be close but Dublin look to have the advantage. Then I taught Tyrone had the advantage at Ht

Slava Ukrainii

Dublin will probably be too physical for us. However they have to sort Match up as well. McCaffrey will be on O'Brien if card recinded. But who will pick up Geaney, Clifford and O Shea. They will put Fenton on Moran. Do you put Spillane on MDM. Do you start Tommy Walsh or Killian Spillane. Keane seems to be able to change direction of a game.

I think it will be close but Dublin look to have the advantage. Then I taught Tyrone had the advantage at Ht

Doubt they put Moran on Fenton except maybe on restarts, they may bring in Barry to spoil him from general play as he has done this in the past and done very well. We need Moran to be free to play his own game, he is the man that makes us tick and is not a man marker.

O’Brien is normally on the opposite side to McCaffery, they will put White or O’Beaglaoich on him maybe, or possibly even move Tom O’Sullivan out to him as tbh he is the only one I’d trust to break even with him.

Morley on Con and hope for the best. If foley is on Mannion he will need a bit of help. Crowley on Kilkenny. We don’t seem to be able to play a sweeper effectively so I don’t know what way they’ll set up at the back.

You are correct in that they will need to worry about some of our lads too. One thing about Dublin is they will want to play football. We will get chances. There is almost a mythology around Dublin now but we have to believe we can beat them.

Doubt they put Moran on Fenton except maybe on restarts, they may bring in Barry to spoil him from general play as he has done this in the past and done very well. We need Moran to be free to play his own game, he is the man that makes us tick and is not a man marker.

O’Brien is normally on the opposite side to McCaffery, they will put White or O’Beaglaoich on him maybe, or possibly even move Tom O’Sullivan out to him as tbh he is the only one I’d trust to break even with him.

Morley on Con and hope for the best. If foley is on Mannion he will need a bit of help. Crowley on Kilkenny. We don’t seem to be able to play a sweeper effectively so I don’t know what way they’ll set up at the back.

You are correct in that they will need to worry about some of our lads too. One thing about Dublin is they will want to play football. We will get chances. There is almost a mythology around Dublin now but we have to believe we can beat them.

McCaffrey plays as WB so Dublin will decide who he plays on. O'Brien is our most dangerous HF so I expect that will be the match up.
    Cooper or Small on Clifford, the other one on Geaney. McCarthy on on O'Shea.

Slava Ukrainii

McCaffrey plays as WB so Dublin will decide who he plays on. O'Brien is our most dangerous HF so I expect that will be the match up.
    Cooper or Small on Clifford, the other one on Geaney. McCarthy on on O'Shea.

McCarthy normally plays on O’Briens side is all I’m saying. They may switch them like you say. Clifford is a mismatch no matter who they put on him.

Clan O’Sullivan if he starts normally has a free role but if Kerry push O’Shea up they lose their sweeper. Jim Gavin is the shrewdest manager in the game and he will have thought of everything. They are not great individually in defence but they always work around it. Cooper is unreal but they only have one of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Never a truer word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

corny wrote: »
    Never a truer word.

They cannot deal with 70mins of pressure. The talking up of this Dublin team is ludicrous.

They cannot deal with 70mins of pressure. The talking up of this Dublin team is ludicrous.

I think they said on TSG that when you get a run on them you need to get a lot of scores. I agree 100% and Kerry can do this.

Problem is when Dublin get a run on us we will probably give up goals. They will also probably shade the restart battle. This is a huge ask for our lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think they said on TSG that when you get a run on them you need to get a lot of scores. I agree 100% and Kerry can do this.

Should probably be a fresh thread for the final.

The championship one is a washout.
    Full of Galway supporters stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was hoping that the 2019 championship thread would clean itself up by now after the games but no joy.

Cant see the point in starting a thread specific to the final as it will just be dragged down to the same level so assume this is the best place to chat about the final?

Will have to assume SOB will appeal the Meath black card and have it rescinded, seems the most likely one anyway. Any other worries after yesterday? Seemed to come out of it injury free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

dobman88 wrote: »
    Was hoping that the 2019 championship thread would clean itself up by now after the games but no joy.

Cant see the point in starting a thread specific to the final as it will just be dragged down to the same level so assume this is the best place to chat about the final?

Will have to assume SOB will appeal the Meath black card and have it rescinded, seems the most likely one anyway. Any other worries after yesterday? Seemed to come out of it injury free anyway.

I was thinking the same thing, and its a bloody shame. Forum has gone to the dogs, toxic. Its gone way beyond banter. Too many losers around now.

I'm not one for posting in other teams' threads but good luck in the final.
    I know some of us Dubs dont like you Kerry boys, and vice versa, but i have to say from all my times going to Croker to play you lot over the years, there's never been anything but respect from your supporters. Genuinely never a bad word and always handshake at the end. And believe me, i dont see that very often (Mayo cough cough)..

Anyway, that said I still hope we knock the bollíx outta ye and send you home with your arses on a plate :D

Listen lads, it takes a good man to take his beating, but it takes a better man who's a winner to keep it inside and hold his head.

Got my Kerry top and all today. This Dublin team are so overrated and I will not stop saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No team can sustain 70 minutes of applying constant pressure at inter-county level.

Try it with this Dublin team and they will soak it up until you start to tire, and then in a very short space of time put you away.

Same as they did in 12 minutes beginning of the second half Saturday.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, and its a bloody shame. Forum has gone to the dogs, toxic. Its gone way beyond banter. Too many losers around now.

I'm not one for posting in other teams' threads but good luck in the final.
    I know some of us Dubs dont like you Kerry boys, and vice versa, but i have to say from all my times going to Croker to play you lot over the years, there's never been anything but respect from your supporters. Genuinely never a bad word and always handshake at the end. And believe me, i dont see that very often (Mayo cough cough)..

Anyway, that said I still hope we knock the bollíx outta ye and send you home with your arses on a plate :D

Same experience with the Dubs tbh, was on the hill in 2011 and 2015, absolutely heartbreaking but not an ounce of anything from any supporter, just a handshake like you said. The only needle we got was from some clown in a brand New Jersey drinking a can of Dutch gold on the way back to the car.

I also live up here now and the missus is a Dub (wasnt happy with her present of a Kerry Jersey yesterday :pac:) and the craic is good with work colleagues and friends.

Best of luck in the final. I'm definitely travelling in hope more than anything.

charlie14 wrote: »
    No team can sustain 70 minutes of applying constant pressure at inter-county level.

Try it with this Dublin team and they will soak it up until you start to tire, and then in a very short space of time put you away.

Against a team that had a hard game eights days previous. Dublin had two weeks rest. We were against a team that had two weeks rest as well. One thing the S8's have shown is that being willing to throw a game( Galway and Tyrone) is not an answer to success

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I'd rather lose the semi than the final so wasn't going to be gutted by losing to Tyrone, however it ended up a pleasure to beat them as someone who remembers 05 and 08 vividly, I think we've got about a 40% chance, there's also the scenario where we play really well and the Dub's aren't the well drilled robots they usually are. I'd love to see Cluxton walk off the pitch gutted after losing.

There's something slightly odd and unnatural about this Dublin streak of domination, a bit like Man City tearing up the Premiership every season when it's not really their historical role in the sport.

charlie14 wrote: »

Tyrone put 70 mins of pressure on them in the league and beat them easily even dominated the dubs more down a man. The Kerry panel hit the treadmills from now until the AIF and the Dubs will be severely tested.

Fs sure you cant handle the pressure of responding to your super 8s gloating poat when you won Ulster.

What part of Dublin will the team be staying in. Last couple times that stayed in the Clyde for senior finals and in the Burlington for minor finals. will they still stay around Ballsbridge

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Tyrone put 70 mins of pressure on them in the league and beat them easily even dominated the dubs more down a man. The Kerry panel hit the treadmills from now until the AIF and the Dubs will be severely tested.

Fs sure you cant handle the pressure of responding to your super 8s gloating poat when you won Ulster.

Still rambling about a league that Dublin had no interest in I see.

To put your ramblings in context Monaghan also beat Dublin by three points in the league. That worked well for them in the championship alright. As did winning said league by Mayo who Dublin beat by 10 points in the championship.

Please cut out the childishness highlighted above.
    I have responded and asked you about your statement of Armagh now being your main rivals. All of which you have ignored.

Even to the extent that when you sent me a private message with the same childish waffle, I gave you the post # which you still choose to ignore.

Btw, I am sure the Kerry management have noted that the one major preparation they have overlooked is putting their players on treadmills and run the legs off them for the 3 weeks prior to a final. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Nothing against David Gough whatsoever, fantastic ref, but Fitzmaurice is right, couldn’t expect someone working and living in Dublin to be completely impartial in this final. Imagine making a decision that cost Dublin the five in a row, life would be made very tough by some. Not worth the hassle.

munster87 wrote: »
    Nothing against David Gough whatsoever, fantastic ref, but Fitzmaurice is right, couldn’t expect someone working and living in Dublin to be completely impartial in this final. Imagine making a decision that cost Dublin the five in a row, life would be made very tough by some. Not worth the hassle.

Agree. Have met David a few times and have even umpired for him at club matches in Meath. Hes a sound chap and it was great to get an insight into a referees job being connected with an ear piece and mic. But hes definitely not the best man for this final for reasons you mentioned and also after admitting he missed the hit on Darran a few years ago. That would have to be in the back of his mind.

munster87 wrote: »

I'm not having it from any **** who comes along and tells us they wouldn't bat an eye if the final was given to a ref from Cork living in Kerry and heavily involved in schools GAA in Tralee either. Get up the yard with that bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm not having it from any **** who comes along and tells us they wouldn't bat an eye if the final was given to a ref from Cork living in Kerry and heavily involved in schools GAA in Tralee either. Get up the yard with that bull****.

Akin to the "but Parnell Park is our home ground" - in terms of pointless, transparent, disingenuous nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

This thread is primarily for discussion all matters Kerry GAA.

Posters are getting feed up of spats from other threads getting oxygen on this thread.

Cards will be issued if same continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

dd973 wrote: »
    I'd rather lose the semi than the final so wasn't going to be gutted by losing to Tyrone, however it ended up a pleasure to beat them as someone who remembers 05 and 08 vividly, I think we've got about a 40% chance, there's also the scenario where we play really well and the Dub's aren't the well drilled robots they usually are. I'd love to see Cluxton walk off the pitch gutted after losing.

There's something slightly odd and unnatural about this Dublin streak of domination, a bit like Man City tearing up the Premiership every season when it's not really their historical role in the sport.

You’d be left disappointed, Cluxton doesn't do gutted, or ecstatic for that matter. He kicked the most famous winning point in Dublin GAA history in 2011 and just strolled off to the dressing room afterwards like he just finished a training session. He treats defeats similarly, shake hands with his opponents and on with
    his business, no fuss or fanfare with the guy, pretty much what makes him iconic to us Dubs.

Advertisement