Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You’d be left disappointed, Cluxton doesn't do gutted, or ecstatic for that matter. He kicked the most famous winning point in Dublin GAA history in 2011 and just strolled off to the dressing room afterwards like he just finished a training session. He treats defeats similarly, shake hands with his opponents and on with
    his business, no fuss or fanfare with the guy, pretty much what makes him iconic to us Dubs.

And the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Media having a great time with the "Kerry" vendetta against Gough. Would prefer if Fitzmaurice and Aidan O'Mahony wouldn't comment on it.

To the match. Would ye start Jack Barry and Tommy Walsh for this one?

Does Tom O'Sullivan pick up Kilkenny?

What way do ye see match-ups?

Need to make pitch wide when attacking which we didn't do in 1st half v. Tyrone.

If O'Callaghan is in FF, which he might not be, knowing how Jim Gavin likes to innovate, but we would need someone on his toes to help Morley or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Media having a great time with the "Kerry" vendetta against Gough. Would prefer if Fitzmaurice and Aidan O'Mahony wouldn't comment on it.

To the match. Would ye start Jack Barry and Tommy Walsh for this one?

Does Tom O'Sullivan pick up Kilkenny?

What way do ye see match-ups?

Need to make pitch wide when attacking which we didn't do in 1st half v. Tyrone.

If O'Callaghan is in FF, which he might not be, knowing how Jim Gavin likes to innovate, but we would need someone on his toes to help Morley or whoever.

Would Tom O Sullivan on O Callaghan with Murphy on Kilkenny be good match ups. Foley or Morley on Mannion. Gavin Crowley on Howard.

100% Tommy should start. Dublin would devour Killian Spillane, it’s a year too soon for him. Tommy gives us a platform to work from. He can win ball in front of his man and off load or he can be a high ball target man. If Dublin push up on our kick outs he can drift out to midfield to catch ball. He offers us so many options.

Barry doesn’t have enough football played. Would be a massive chance to take that he could once again do a job on Fenton in an All Ireland final. I’m strangely leaning towards Adrian Spillane man marking him and gassing himself out in the first half with Sherwood coming on at half time to do likewise.

With 3 more weeks training, what are the chances Gavin throws a curve ball and starts Connolly at midfield or half forward?

Kilkenny is too strong for Murphy and has manhandled him in the past. Have to put Crowley on him I think even though Morley has been good on him in the past. Probably end up with Murphy on Howard and Begley on Scully or vice versa. Howard is maybe a bit of a mismatch for either of them but we only have what we have.

Maybe Enright could break even with Howard, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think they’ll match up like this

Morley on O’Callagan
    Tom Sull on Mannion
    Foley on Rock
    Murphy on Scully
    Crowley on Kilkenny
    Spillane / Barry on Fenton
    Moran on MDM
    White / O’Beaglaoich on McCaffery

I don’t know who will pick up Howard as we have a place up for grabs at the back, could be Enright or Sherwood possibly depending on who starts.

Very doubtful Tommy starts, he won’t last a full game and we need to be aiming to finish strong, bring him in for the final half hour around the half forward line like the last day where he was outstanding. I’d stick with Killian, he will have space to operate and won’t have to come too deep like last Sunday. I could see him getting 2-3 points again with the right ball in

• Advertisement

I think Morley would take Rock and Foley will go on Con. You're going to be on the ropes there but it would be a bit like the Donegal and Tyrone games where you expect the full back line to struggle but hopefully you can keep the likes of Con and Mannion to three or four points from play apiece.

Despite the two boys being on the ropes against McShane and Donnelly they didn't look like giving up goals too much really. You would pray for the same thing. They could both be taken for five points from play and end up saying they had great games if you could just stop goals.

Maybe they would put Begley on Mannion again and put TOS out on Howard or Kilkenny.

I actually think playing against Dublin would suit K Spillane better than playing Tyrone. You'd be better off having someone like Tommy in reserve in the hopes that you can influence how Dublin approach some key stage of the second half. I think we brought him on at half time in the league game to try and force Dublin to play a sweeper in the second half, so we could have Paul Murphy doing a sweeper job on our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Tom Sullivan on Kilkenny
    Foley on Mannion
    Morley on Rock
    Sherwood on Con
    Murphy on Scully
    Crowley on Howard

Would be how I'd approach it.

Sherwood on Howard is not a bad shout actually.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think Morley would take Rock and Foley will go on Con. You're going to be on the ropes there but it would be a bit like the Donegal and Tyrone games where you expect the full back line to struggle but hopefully you can keep the likes of Con and Mannion to three or four points from play apiece.

Despite the two boys being on the ropes against McShane and Donnelly they didn't look like giving up goals too much really. You would pray for the same thing. They could both be taken for five points from play and end up saying they had great games if you could just stop goals.

Maybe they would put Begley on Mannion again and put TOS out on Howard or Kilkenny.

I actually think playing against Dublin would suit K Spillane better than playing Tyrone. You'd be better off having someone like Tommy in reserve in the hopes that you can influence how Dublin approach some key stage of the second half. I think we brought him on at half time in the league game to try and force Dublin to play a sweeper in the second half, so we could have Paul Murphy doing a sweeper job on our side.

Not sure I like Foley on Con he is just too big and physical for him, Morley is our best defender and is a horse of a man. You are right in that the two marked their men from behind last weekend and never looked in danger of giving up a goal. They defended better than they were given credit for, are our defensive woes slightly overstated?

Keane will no doubt throw a spanner in there somewhere but I think a lot of the matchups are obvious enough

Not sure I like Foley on Con he is just too big and physical for him, Morley is our best defender and is a horse of a man. You are right in that the two marked their men from behind last weekend and never looked in danger of giving up a goal. They defended better than they were given credit for, are our defensive woes slightly overstated?

Keane will no doubt throw a spanner in there somewhere but I think a lot of the matchups are obvious enough

I just think Morley is too slow for Con. Foley looks pretty strong to me, not sure about this 'needs a winter in the gym' shtick that's going around about him. Con will do damage either way, it's about whether it's a petrol bomb or a MOAB.

My feeling is that we gave up the diagonal ball the last day and asked the two boys to just try to keep their heads above water in order to keep the middle channel manned by Murphy. It's the same thing on lesser level, good teams are going to hurt you it's just a case of taking the punch to the liver to avoid taking the one to the jaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Would like to see Tom Sullivan on Con O Callaghan after the season he has had. Hes marked some of our opponents best players and has come out on top for most of them. It was like Peter Harte wasnt even on the pitch the last day he took such good care of him. COC has clearly bulked up a bit but I think Tom would have the pace and be quick enough to react when COC gets going and hopefully he wouldnt walk past him like he did to Keegan on Saturday.

Morely for Kilkenny maybe? Kilkenny is a big physical man but not the fastest fella, Morley could be suited for that.

If we're going to use Murphy as sweeper again he has to sit deeper and engage the player instead of this half arsed attempt to close them down.

Would hope the rest could break even with their men at least and try keep goal chances to a minimum as has been mentioned

Also, as much as I love the man, I dont think Tommy should start. His impact on Sunday changed the game straight away and it's what won it for us. Honourable mention to Jack Sherwood but it was all about Tommy inside winning hard ball. We know he wont last 70 mins against the Dubs especially but throw him on at the 40-45 minute mark and just go for it if we're still in touch by then.

Hes also quite a one dimensional type player so they'd know what to expect. Better off having Geaney Clifford and Spillane inside to start with, they have the ability to switch up with each other and pace to hopefully find a gap and break through. They would give Dublin more to think about and hopefully create more space. IMHO of course.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I just think Morley is too slow for Con. Foley looks pretty strong to me, not sure about this 'needs a winter in the gym' shtick that's going around about him. Con will do damage either way, it's about whether it's a petrol bomb or a MOAB.

My feeling is that we gave up the diagonal ball the last day and asked the two boys to just try to keep their heads above water in order to keep the middle channel manned by Murphy. It's the same thing on lesser level, good teams are going to hurt you it's just a case of taking the punch to the liver to avoid taking the one to the jaw.

Yes if you are on a top forward like McShane, Murphy, Mannion or Con and you keep them under 5 points you are doing very well. Stopping or at least minimising goals will be crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looks like Gough is going to be the ref. Disaster for us based and working in Dublin and involved in a Dublin club. There other choice was to let Jim Gavin ref it might have been fairer

Slava Ukrainii

Looks like Gough is going to be the ref. Disaster for us based and working in Dublin and involved in a Dublin club. There other choice was to let Jim Gavin ref it might have been fairer

It was always going to be him when he wasnt given a semi final tbf. Hopefully he will try to even the Kev McMenaman hit up and miss one for us this time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

dobman88 wrote: »
    It was always going to be him when he wasnt given a semi final tbf. Hopefully he will try to even the Kev McMenaman hit up and miss one for us this time :rolleyes:

if i remember right he also gave dublin a 45 in that game.... ball went wide.. mcmenamin ran out to him and said twas a 45 and of course St. kevin who is a Judes man just like Gough wouldnt lie so Gough gave the Dubs there 45 and they slotted it....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I taught he was very poor in the Tyrone league match on Killarney earlier this year. He pullel Kerry for little things but allowed Tyrone huge latitude on other incidents. Only because we were so on top did he fail to influence the outcome

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

if i remember right he also gave dublin a 45 in that game.... ball went wide.. mcmenamin ran out to him and said twas a 45 and of course St. kevin who is a Judes man just like Gough wouldnt lie so Gough gave the Dubs there 45 and they slotted it....

The late tackle was bad but that 45 call was inexcusable - he overruled his umpire by taking the advice of his clubmate.

It genuinely is nuts to not see that as a deal breaker in terms of allowing him to ref the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

The county board slapping a tenner on top of the tickets is a bit much. 100 now for a ticket. Pricey weekend especially for us travelling up

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Gough is probably the best ref in Ireland but he was brutal (as were the umpires and linesmen),in the Mayo/Donegal match! I dont mind a ref being bad for both sides but he was shocking as far as Mayo is concerned.On one ocassion he let a "touch of the ball on the ground" go for Donegal and 2 minutes later punished Mayo for same (which was the correct decision),there were also late ,late hits and off the ball incidents which he was softly softly with because it was a star player.Havin said all that he is prob still the best,,,,but the pressure got to him that evening in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is Gavin O Brien injured?

He seems to have disappeared off the match day panel since the league

Did he not head to America?

Was there any truth to the story that he played a club game when requested not to and that was the end of him?

by the by, this lad thats on facebook organising a protest, is he for real or a troll? Judging by his profile hes a real person but surely theres someone close to him that should be having a word. He's making a show of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

wonga77 wrote: »
    by the by, this lad thats on facebook organising a protest, is he for real or a troll? Judging by his profile hes a real person but surely theres someone close to him that should be having a word. He's making a show of himself

Looking at his other tweets, he's a WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Peter Keane hates the naries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stephen O'Brien cleared according to RTÉ.

Delighted to see that fruit cake that organised the referee protest was left standing on his own outside Lewis Road today. What a plonker

dobman88 wrote: »
    Delighted to see that fruit cake that organised the referee protest was left standing on his own outside Lewis Road today. What a plonker

Yes I saw him as well he looked almost embarrassed to be there.

Great afternoon, fair play to the players my kids are thrilled with all the autographs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Yes I saw him as well he looked almost embarrassed to be there.

Great afternoon, fair play to the players my kids are thrilled with all the autographs

Sorry guys, am out of the country for the last two weeks and only checking in via Internet. But what are ye talking about here? A protest against the standard of inter county reffing and Dublin based refs has to be good!! No?? Or is it not about that??

Advertisement