Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

acequion wrote: »
    Sorry guys, am out of the country for the last two weeks and only checking in via Internet. But what are ye talking about here? A protest against the standard of inter county reffing and Dublin based refs has to be good!! No?? Or is it not about that??

there was a slight protest outside fitzgerald stadium on the open night with the players against the appointment of david gough as reff , he is a meath man living in dublin , apparently its an advantage according to some , media have blown the ****e out of it ,:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Them dubs are dangerous

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

One of my favourite players in recent times. Barry John Keane just casually doing what Barry John Keane does. Down by 7 with 5 minutes left. He rattles in 2-1 including this last second goal to win it by a point for Donegal Boston. Great to see him playing, tasty finish too.

https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/1163516242466168832?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

For anyone that missed the email..."keep it within ten at the end and shure we'll be happy" and "tis awful pressure trying to win 5 in a row".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dobman88 wrote: »
    One of my favourite players in recent times. Barry John Keane just casually doing what Barry John Keane does. Down by 7 with 5 minutes left. He rattles in 2-1 including this last second goal to win it by a point for Donegal Boston. Great to see him playing, tasty finish too.

https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/1163516242466168832?s=19

The instruction from the sideline was critical to this goal I think :D
    Great stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've been watching this a lot.

15 players have been named as a Kerry "team" for Sunday. Could possibly be the starting 15 but I'd expect 1 or 2 changes.

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1167511935681798144?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dobman88 wrote:
    15 players have been named as a Kerry "team" for Sunday. Could possibly be the starting 15 but I'd expect 1 or 2 changes.

Possibly or going down the Speed Kills route.

Exceptionally quick team named there.
    Possibly looking to do similar to the Mayo game in Killarney where they couldn't catch us to hit us.

Physical players to enter in the second half and play a more patient game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

1 (GK)

Shane Ryan
    Seán Ó Riain
    Rathmore

Jason Foley
    Jason Ó Foghlú
    Ballydonoghue

Tadhg Morley
    Tadhg Ó Muraile
    Templenoe

Tom O’Sullivan
    Tomas Ó Suilleabhain
    Dingle

Paul Murphy
    Pol Ó Murchu
    Rathmore

Gavin Crowley
    Gabhin Ó Crualaoich
    Templenoe

Brian Ó Beaglaoich
    Briain Ó Beaglaoich
    An Ghaeltacht

David Moran
    Dáithí Ó Morain
    Kerins O’Rahillys

Adrian Spillane
    Adrian Ó Spealáin
    Templenoe

Gavin White
    Gabhin de Faoite
    Dr Crokes

Seán O’Shea
    Seán Ó Sé
    Kenmare

Stephen O’Brien
    Stiofán Ó Briain
    Kenmare

David Clifford
    Daithi Ó Clúmháin
    Fossa

Paul Geaney
    Pól Ó Geibheannaigh
    Dingle

Killian Spillane
    Cillian Ó Spealáin
    Templenoe

Captain’s Name
    Gavin White

Role
    Names (First & Surname)
    Bainisteoir
    Peter Keane
    Maor Fóirne / Roghnóir (1)
    Tommy Griffin
    Roghnóir (2)
    Donie Buckley
    Roghnóir (3)
    James Foley
    Roghnóir (4)
    Maurice Fitzgerald

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1167511935681798144?s=19

Keane has never started his stated team However looking at it where can you chane it before thae start. I think Tommy Walsh will be left until the second half.

One change I could see( and Keane thinks outside the box is Gavin O'Brien starting instead of Killian Spillane. It would add another kickout option and provide a defensive structure first the first half.

Then again Keane may expect Dublin to double think themselves

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Keane has never started his stated team However looking at it where can you chane it before thae start. I think Tommy Walsh will be left until the second half.

One change I could see( and Keane thinks outside the box is Gavin O'Brien starting instead of Killian Spillane. It would add another kickout option and provide a defensive structure first the first half.

Fairly sure the team named for the Munster final started unchanged this year - not sure about the Clare game. The dummy teams and withholding of subs seems to have started with the Super 8s game against Mayo.

Fairly sure the team named for the Munster final started unchanged this year - not sure about the Clare game. The dummy teams and withholding of subs seems to have started with the Super 8s game against Mayo.

Ya I think you are right.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Have never been as nervous for a game before.

Safe travels to all making the journey, Ciarraí Abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Gavin O Brien hasn’t even made a subs appearance in the last 2 games so there is very little chance he is being considered for the final. Will be lucky to make the 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Forge83 wrote: »
    Gavin O Brien hasn’t even made a subs appearance in the last 2 games so there is very little chance he is being considered for the final. Will be lucky to make the 26.

It would be a massive shock if Gavin was to start-as you said, it will be a mild surprise if he makes the squad-although I would include him

I cant see any way of us winning without starting Tommy

I disagree. Start with speed and try to get a good score put up. Bring Tommy on with 25 to go and let him cause a mess like he did against Tyrone. If he starts, we know he wont finish so I'd prefer to have him there at the end when the experience and physicality will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

We’re not that badly off that we can’t possibly win without a player that has minimal impact for years at intercounty level (bar the semi final) are we?

I disagree. Start with speed and try to get a good score put up. Bring Tommy on with 25 to go and let him cause a mess like he did against Tyrone. If he starts, we know he wont finish so I'd prefer to have him there at the end when the experience and physicality will be needed.

Pace is more useful at the end against tired legs - I'd do the complete opposite to what you are suggesting!
    Lets just hope that whatever Keane does- it's the right decision

munster87 wrote: »
    We’re not that badly off that we can’t possibly win without a player that has minimal impact for years at intercounty level (bar the semi final) are we?

The only way that i can see us winning is if we pin back their full back line while also forcing their half backs to sit a little deeper to try get breaks.

2 men inside of Clifford & Tommy with Geaney & O Shea play making between the 40 and inside line will mean they will have to sit 5 men back as Dublin always play a sweeper - that will free up one of our men and allow O Brien to attack from deep.

I genuinely think they will handle us if we go with Clifford & Spillane/Geaney inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The only way that i can see us winning is if we pin back their full back line while also forcing their half backs to sit a little deeper to try get breaks.

2 men inside of Clifford & Tommy with Geaney & O Shea play making between the 40 and inside line will mean they will have to sit 5 men back as Dublin always play a sweeper - that will free up one of our men and allow O Brien to attack from deep.

I genuinely think they will handle us if we go with Clifford & Spillane/Geaney inside

I initially thought that starting Tommy would be a mistake but I tend to agree with you now. If the game is over with 25 minutes to go it’s pointless bringing him in then. While we need to be realistic about what he can and can’t do Dublin will be wary of him. I think Jim Gavin would prefer to see him on the bench at the start as he will create a bit of a matchup problem for them.

There is virtually no chance of Gavin O’Brien starting, has he even made the 26 since the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I think kerry should print what ever team that they think is plausible ,
    then on the day ,they can set up the way that keane and his selector thinks are best .
    there no need to give Gavin anything but a minutes notice of their intentions .
    surprise is the best form of attack .
    rattle cluxton early and kerry can get inside his head .
    he is the spear of that dublin team , he's not immortal but can be as wobbly as jelly once you put him off . while he is their strongest link at the same time he can be their weakest link one put under extreme pressure .
    it had happened before

All Ireland eve and I'm completely scuttered out for pints with work crew, few dubs thrown in and the craic has been mighty. I've fully convinced myself Kerry are gonna win tomorrow.

This must be what it feels like to be a Mayo fan. Up the kingdom. Win or lose tomorrow. I feel we will have some journey supporting these lads in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

rattle cluxton early if we have any chance .
    they are a young team we should be very proud of regardless .
    if they do win tomorrow there is going to be many good days ahead ,
    either way the future is bright .

once we all stay on the field and get a fair refereeing on decisions then we can nt complain .
    proud kerrymen and women we are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Strangely, we seem to have the opposite problem to previous years, in that we're finishing games strongly, but we can't afford another first half like the Tyrone game. Maybe Brian O'Beaglaioch should be the sweeper, rather than Paul Murphy? Still, if there are only a few points in the game around the 50th minute, there's every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Jack Barry in midfield, Adrian Spillane moved to the forwards, with Killian Spillane dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is the chance gone? It was there for the taking, no idea what Moran was at running into the tackle near the end or Lyne looking for a soft free out on the sideline. No belief there for the last few minutes.
    Incredibly tense but when the dust settles, we had a man advantage for 4o odd minutes and should have drove it home.
    On the flip side it was a huge experience for many of the team so hopefully it brings them on. Credit to Jack Barry, he was excellent I thought, Clifford missed a few too which was unlike him.
    The gaa will be smiling, another sellout for the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

wonga77 wrote: »
    Is the chance gone? It was there for the taking, no idea what Moran was at running into the tackle near the end or Lyne looking for a soft free out on the sideline. No belief there for the last few minutes.
    Incredibly tense but when the dust settles, we had a man advantage for 4o odd minutes and should have drove it home.
    On the flip side it was a huge experience for many of the team so hopefully it brings them on. Credit to Jack Barry, he was excellent I thought, Clifford missed a few too which was unlike him.

Spot on. What were Moran and Lyne at. Lyne especially assuming he had a free(It probably was a free but he should have played to whistle). Would have preferred an old head like Enright to come on ahead of Lyne as they would have more composure.

Gavin White had a terrible game. One of my favorite players normally but must be under pressure for a starting spot for replay.
    Howard dominated O Beaglaoich, a complete mismatch. Maybe Begley in Whites spot tracking McCaffrey with Sherwood starting on Howard would be better.

Super games from Walsh and K Spillane when introduced.
    Great job overall by our “WEAK” defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭cmac2009

wonga77 wrote: »

I think it is, barely noticed Dublin were playing with 14 at times. They will run away with it in two weeks. Not sure why they were holing onto possession around the back when a point up. With 15 men you should be pushing on to increase your advantage. Just don't understand it with so much time remaining. Thought Morgan was a monster today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kerry left that behind them.

Better team by far first half. Spurned a penalty even though Cluxton came way off his line very poorly hit.

Clifford started very poorly. No cooper for the replay. I think Kerry will win the replay. They cant play that wasteful again.

Ref was even but appauling in last ten minutes when Kerry couldnt buy a free. Im delighted he cant be appointed for the replay. He did everything he could to let Dublin win including 7 mins of injury time.

Advertisement