Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

At what point did Gough do Kerry in the last 10 minutes? Lyne went looking for a free and didnt get it, Moran ran into a sea of blue and was dispossesed. Couldnt argue with any of the Dublin frees near the end.
    Gough was very fair overall I felt.
    By the way the sunday game were way ott in their ht analysis, they need to be put out to pasture

Kerry left that behind them.

Better team by far first half. Spurned a penalty even though Cluxton came way off his line very poorly hit.

Clifford started very poorly. No cooper for the replay. I think Kerry will win the replay. They cant play that wasteful again.

Ref was even but appauling in last ten minutes when Kerry couldnt buy a free. Im delighted he cant be appointed for the replay. He did everything he could to let Dublin win including 7 mins of injury time.

I thought he was very fair. Gave a penalty and sent a player off, right or wrong not many teams get those decisions against Dublin in croker in a final. There normally the decisions that Dublin get.

Dublin had one of there worst performances in the past 5 years and played with 14 men. Kerry had an extra man in injury time against a tired team and they couldn't hold on to the ball.Poor shooting and decision making is why Kerry didn't win this by 10, not the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

I thought he was very fair. Gave a penalty and sent a player off, right or wrong not many teams get those decisions against Dublin in croker in a final. There normally the decisions that Dublin get.

Dublin had one of there worst performances in the past 5 years and played with 14 men. Kerry had an extra man in injury time against a tired team and they couldn't hold on to the ball.Poor shooting and decision making is why Kerry didn't win this by 10, not the referee.

Referee had a good game overall. Gave a soft penalty but didn’t penalize Cluxton for coming off line.
    Stephen O Brien should have had a free or borderline penalty that wasn’t given in second half. Few Dublin second half tackles very heavy and could have been frees. But all 50/50 so debatable.
    Red carded cooper with foul,foul tick,foul yellow,foul red. More than fair.
    O Sullivan was different. Foul Yellow,foul tick. He wasn’t persistently caught fouling like Cooper.

Dublin had one of their worst games......because of how Kerry played. It’s extremely disrespectful to insist they didn’t turn up. Mannion and O Callaghan were nullified by great defending by O Sullivan and Morley. Moran and Barry/Spillane dominated Fenton and McCauley. Clifford turned Cooper inside out.
    Dublin had McCaffrey,Howard,Kilkenny and Rock turn it up get the draw. To think that every one of their players is going to dominate their man is absurd. Their lower scoring percentages were down to Kerry pressure.
    A draw was a fair result. Kerry should have brought Tommy and Spillane on sooner and gone on the attack rather than holding Murphy in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Well done lads on a great game between the top dogs of our sport. I always felt it would be close, only an eejit gave Kerry no chance. My over riding emotion as a Dub is relief. I thought it was slipping away when ye went in front but we managed to salvage the situation. Savage stuff. Look forward to Dublin v Kerry, Act 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

That was a super save by Cluxton from Paul Murphy, id bet the majority of the crowd didnt realise it at the time but he glanced it onto the cross bar. A vital save at a vital stage of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

I think some of ye are being very hard on our Kerry lads. Yes they could have won it but Dublin could also have stolen it at the death as they did in 2011.

Don't forget how our young team were totally written off and the arrogance and smugness by some Dublin fans on various social media sites was breathtaking. I wonder if they're so arrogant tonight! Kerry showed today that the great Dubs are not invincible.

The replay is anybody's game imo. Both sides will have learned lessons, both have much to work on. But Kerry certainly didn't leave it after them!

Looking forward to TSG where I can watch and listen without my heart hammering and really looking forward to watching the entire match in full on player.

This soooo isn't over.:D Up Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Better team by far first half. Spurned a penalty even though Cluxton came way off his line very poorly hit.

Clifford started very poorly. No cooper for the replay. I think Kerry will win the replay. They cant play that wasteful again.

Ref was even but appauling in last ten minutes when Kerry couldnt buy a free. Im delighted he cant be appointed for the replay. He did everything he could to let Dublin win including 7 mins of injury time.

Cooper isn't suspended for the replay, so every chance he plays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

This is exactly the kind of nonsense that gives Kerry supporters a bad name. Please try opening your other eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

This is exactly the kind of nonsense that gives Kerry supporters a bad name. Please try opening your other eye.

Says you, anyone from Dublin I've spoken to has nothing but good things to say about Kerry supporters. You'll get the above commentary from a fan of any county in equal amounts, it's not mathematics, people have opinions. On a forum. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

It's a post on a forum so I wouldn't let it colour your view of a few thousand football fans, maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you have actually watched a game since 2016 you will realise that 7 minutes injury time is close enough to the norm.

In 2016 refs were instructed to add x time for subs, y for keepers coming up the field for frees etc.

All that has resulted in games regularly going well over 70 mins.

Was the ref in the 2016 drawn final doing everything he could to let Dublin won by adding 7 minutes of injury time when they were 3 up on 70mins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

My hole. Moran was fouled. Lyne was fouled.

Dublin players were throwing themselves down manufacturing soft frees all day but Kerry dont get two stonewall frees.

Why was there 7 mins of injury time? Kerry were 1 up. Thats why. They didnt get 1 free thereafter. Not. One. Dublin got 3 frees in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dublin players were throwing themselves down manufacturing soft frees all day but Kerry dont get two stonewall frees.

Why was there 7 mins of injury time? Kerry were 1 up. Thats why. They didnt get 1 free thereafter. Not. One. Dublin got 3 frees in extra time.

Watching it back, after having been there live, the one thing that struck me most was that the 15 men of Kerry were out on their feet for the last 10-15 minutes of actual play against the 14 of Dublin. That would be the most worrying take-away if I was Kerry.

As for the 7 minutes, there are 30 seconds allowed for each substitution, time allowed for Hawkeye, then there was the injury to Small when he was hit by Ryan. Arguably, they should have added more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

blanch152 wrote: »
    Watching it back, after having been there live, the one thing that struck me most was that the 15 men of Kerry were out on their feet for the last 10-15 minutes of actual play against the 14 of Dublin. That would be the most worrying take-away if I was Kerry.

As for the 7 minutes, there are 30 seconds allowed for each substitution, time allowed for Hawkeye, then there was the injury to Small when he was hit by Ryan. Arguably, they should have added more time.

You are right blanch, I said on the match thread that Kerry were the ones clinging on and with 15 v 15 the next day I’d fear for us. Dublin are clearly fitter and physically better able for 80 minutes of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Will you stop!

Great game; Dubs will argue night and day over the penalty and the sending off, you chaps the other way. Not going to change things.

Enjoyed the day and hope the people from Valentia in Flowing Tide have worse hangover than I do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Well done yesterday. I think ye will get them in the second game. Clifford seemed to have a few nerves at the start yesterday, hell be flying next time. Sean o Shea is a phenomenal baller!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Well done yesterday. I think ye will get them in the second game. Clifford seemed to have a few nerves at the start yesterday, hell be flying next time. Sean o Shea is a phenomenal baller!!

Sean O'Shea was incredible. 10 points yesterday, 3 from play & 100% from placed balls; a low percentage of which were gimmes.

He's 21, he's been an incredible leader of this Kerry team for the entire season. Superb performance yesterday.

Young Footballer of the Year this year, for sure, if not more.

blanch152 wrote: »

Arguably they should have added less. Gaa is not soccer. It doesnt take 30 seconds per substitution and some were double subs.

A Kerry player was down and the ref waved him to get up and played on.

Kerry were wasteful. If they take their goal chances the next day they will win it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Same As wrote: »
    Sean O'Shea was incredible. 10 points yesterday, 3 from play & 100% from placed balls; a low percentage of which were gimmes.

He's 21, he's been an incredible leader of this Kerry team for the entire season. Superb performance yesterday.

Did they show this incident from a decent angle on TV when you watched it back?

00129e10-800.jpg

It's where O'Shea is about to pass it to Geaney for the one McCarthy cleared off the line. It looked like a blatant penalty from where we were in the Cusack but they didn't look at it at all on TSG.

The picture makes me think Cooper was haunted to last as long as he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

keane2097 wrote: »

00129e10-800.jpg

It's where O'Shea is about to pass it to Geaney for the one McCarthy cleared off the line. It looked like a blatant penalty from where we were in the Cusack but they didn't look at it at all on TSG.

To be fair, i was worried when i saw that live on tv. They didn't show a replay of it if i remember correctly. The commentators didn't really comment on it after Kerry had a shot on goal almost straight away. Looked like it could have been a penalty. Cooper was all over the shop yesterday. An accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can I just mention, I think the GAA bringing out Phelim Drew to have a singalong with the Dublin fans while both teams were warming up was a ****ing disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Can I just mention, I think the GAA bringing out Phelim Drew to have a singalong with the Dublin fans while both teams were warming up was a ****ing disgrace.

I suppose the GAA will say they brought out young Michael O Brien...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

00129e10-800.jpg

That should have been called back for a penalty, no doubt about it.

Steven o’Brien was also denied a free / penalty in the second half when he was fouled twice in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think it's fair to say Kerry would have won every All Ireland since 1887 if it was not for Referees

I think it's fair to say Kerry would have won every All Ireland since 1887 if it was not for Referees

Theyve been robbed a lot. 2011. No foul for Cluxton winner. 2016 semi. No foulfor Kevin Mc poleaxing.
    2019. No foul for Lyne or Moran.

Maybe its a subconscious bias with refs thinking they have won enough but we constantly and consistently get ****ed by refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Theyve been robbed a lot. 2011. No foul for Cluxton winner. 2016 semi. No foulfor Kevin Mc poleaxing.
    2019. No foul for Lyne or Moran.

Maybe its a subconscious bias with refs thinking they have won enough but we constantly and consistently get ****ed by refs.
    You forgot the most egregious of them all - Darby's push in the back on Tommy Doyle in '82 and no foul given. #justicefor82 :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Same As wrote: »

He was unreal, I didn't watch back the recording of the game yet but I did skip to the HT and FT 'analysis' on RTE, I have no idea what Joe Brolly was on about after FT when he said SOS can play better the next day out.

SOS or McCaffrey for MOTM, but having watched the post-match section of the live recording and also having watched TSG last night it seems they didn't give out a MOTM award?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

00129e10-800.jpg

This was 100% a penalty, half the Cusack Stand were out of their seats shouting when it happened.

Lads commenting on 2011 etc and putting words into fellas mouths. Maybe stick to game being discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great performance yesterday, Sean O Shea kept us in touch in the first half with his frees, dont think the Dubs will foul as much in the replay as they did in the areas where they did foul yesterday,

We created a good few goal scoring chances yesterday which was encouraging and it should be something to work on again for the replay

Thought our legs seem to go a bit towards the end which is understandable, maybe we should have kept going and get that direct ball into Tommy Walsh, maybe just kick into the corner and hold it up in there and either work a score or draw a foul

The Dubs I think will have Brogan on the bench the next day, thought he was a big loss to them yesterday, especially at the end when they made a few chances and didnt take them, Brogan you would think with his experience and class would have kicked one or two of them chances

All in all a great game, lets hope for the same kind of game in the replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This was 100% a penalty, half the Cusack Stand were out of their seats shouting when it happened.

Lads commenting on 2011 etc and putting words into fellas mouths. Maybe stick to game being discussed

The annoying thing about that is that Geaney got his shot away which was cleared off the line. Fair enough, if it was a goal, Kerry were flying. However, in the second half, O'Callaghan (I think) was being fouled in similar circumstances and gave the ball off to his team-mate, his shot at goal went wide, but play was brought back for a tap-over free. Surely to god both incidents were the same?

Advertisement