Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The annoying thing about that is that Geaney got his shot away which was cleared off the line. Fair enough, if it was a goal, Kerry were flying. However, in the second half, O'Callaghan (I think) was being fouled in similar circumstances and gave the ball off to his team-mate, his shot at goal went wide, but play was brought back for a tap-over free. Surely to god both incidents were the same?

it happened twice that led to 2 points, both were Con O'Callaghn, it may have happened a 3rd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Left it behind us yesterday, couple of points

Clifford looked lame with 15 to go and was out on his feet, he is still only 20 and was asking a lot, I don't understand why he wasn't substituted.

Why try and keep the ball for 15 minutes when they were rattled. Instead of bringing the ball into contact and trying to keep possession try and hit Tommy and leave Tommy lay it off to who ever would be sprinting through (probably Spillane and Moynihan), worst that happens is that they have to start from their 20 instead of centre field

Kick outs need serious work, even with the spare man we lost the ball, need to put Cluxton under pressure in two weeks time.

It's a pity, hopefully they do the business in two weeks

PS 6 on a Saturday evening is a joke, Leopardstown is also on that day the drive up and down will be some fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Theyve been robbed a lot. 2011. No foul for Cluxton winner. 2016 semi. No foulfor Kevin Mc poleaxing.
    2019. No foul for Lyne or Moran.

Maybe its a subconscious bias with refs thinking they have won enough but we constantly and consistently get ****ed by refs.

There's an unconscious bias alright, but not on the refs part :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Did we think we had a chance coming here today? Sure of course. If you have two dogs in any race, one of the dogs might get a heart attack and the other one could walk home.

I think the above is easily the best comment ever uttered in a post-match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Have any bus companies announced arrangements for the match yet, would love to go up and down the same day as staying in Dublin is too expensive

• Advertisement

Theyve been robbed a lot. 2011. No foul for Cluxton winner. 2016 semi. No foulfor Kevin Mc poleaxing.
    2019. No foul for Lyne or Moran.

Maybe its a subconscious bias with refs thinking they have won enough but we constantly and consistently get ****ed by refs.

You got to an All Ireland in 2014 completely due to a historic and famous level of bias by referee Cormac Reilly. A game in which he made over a dozen major blunders all favouring Kerry. Also by a ref that had so many links to Kerry. So incompetent that the GAA even dropped him from refereeing games for a number of years.

You can never talk about unfair bias after that game. Gough had an outstanding game by comparison. Cormac Reilly is the metric that ineptitude and bias is measured, and Gough did not even register on it.

At least you have another chance to go again, Reilly ensured we didn't.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/reillys-officiating-lacked-consistency-284360.html

James dived for two penalties that day if I recall correctly.

You got to an All Ireland in 2014 completely due to a historic and famous level of bias by referee Cormac Reilly. A game in which he made over a dozen major blunders all favouring Kerry. Also by a ref that had so many links to Kerry. So bad that the GAA even dropped him from refereeing games for a number of years.

You can never talk about unfair bias after that game. Gough had an outstanding game by comparison. Cormac Reilly is the metric that ineptitude and bias is measured, and Gough did not even register on it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/reillys-officiating-lacked-consistency-284360.html

Who wrote that?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who wrote that?

An examiner journalist?! only took someone with eyesight.

An examiner journalist?! only took someone with eyesight.

I was just wondering. I don't remember him being too bad to be honest. McStay went mad about a load of stuff the ref got right on the Sunday game that evening that seemed to drive it. The JOD dives were two stone wall penalties.

• Advertisement

McStay went mad about a load of stuff

Actually one of those was gas, it was 'look where Donaghy was fouled, now look where Barry John took the free from' and the ref after bringing the ball in 14 yards while RTE were showing a replay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Still not physically right after Sunday yet - but it was a great occasion. Not sure about some of the "narrative" about it being a classic game, Kerry have blown their chance etc..

Both teams have a lot more in them. There is plenty more scores there, some big players under-performed.

Think it’s still there for Kerry. Have to pick a different starting 15 and tweak a few things but the game Sunday should give plenty confidence.

Still not physically right after Sunday yet - but it was a great occasion. Not sure about some of the "narrative" about it being a classic game, Kerry have blown their chance etc..

Both teams have a lot more in them. There is plenty more scores there, some big players under-performed.

Think it’s still there for Kerry. Have to pick a different starting 15 and tweak a few things but the game Sunday should give plenty confidence.

I think back to the replay against Mayo we had in 17. We thought no way would their backs hold our forwards again, and no way would our backs get as roasted again. Their backs held us even better the second day, and our backs got even more roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You got to an All Ireland in 2014 completely due to a historic and famous level of bias by referee Cormac Reilly. A game in which he made over a dozen major blunders all favouring Kerry. Also by a ref that had so many links to Kerry. So incompetent that the GAA even dropped him from refereeing games for a number of years.

At least you have another chance to go again, Reilly ensured we didn't.

Kerry still has to go out and beat Donegal after that but there is no doubt Mayo were robbed that day. That was also the game where O’Shea and O’Connor clashed heads and took each other out of the game? Crazy bad luck.

I think back to the replay against Mayo we had in 17. We thought no way would their backs hold our forwards again, and no way would our backs get as roasted again. Their backs held us even better the second day, and our backs got even more roasted.

There were some strange calls on the line that day where we set up all wrong putting Murphy in as sweeper to virtually no effect, giving Tom O’Sullivan his championship debut, starting a clearly unfit Donnachadh and letting Enright get skinned alive by Moran for the second time.

To be fair to Eamon we were still in it until Crowley got sent off iirc but we were woeful that day alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just had a chance to watch the game back this evening.

Think the ref was fine overall, he was as bad for both teams and I dont see where all the whinging is coming from given the amount of things he let go and got the red call spot on imo.

Kerry, kicked far too many wides 1st half. Missed penalty aside, they still had enough to go in ahead. Clifford surely cant be as off the pace again and it seemed to take Stephen O Brien too long to get into things. 2nd half, did well to get back into things and take the lead at one point late on. Tommy and Killian excellent when introduced. Particularly liked how Tommy went looking for the ball and kicked a fine point right after missing a handy one. Tried to play keep ball too early about the 71st minute and didnt have enough experience to do it. The Dubs are absolute masters in such situations. Didnt put enough pressure on either in the build up to the late Dean Rock free with Dublin just allowed to run the clock down while waiting for an opportunity to kick for the win, maybe didn't have anything left in the tank. Sean O Shea, my God what a footballer. My brother said to me a couple of years ago in the middle of all the Clifford hype, SOS is the man to watch and how right hes been.

Dublin, think they will feel happy with the draw given the way things went. Excellent 1st half scoring wise, red card was actually at a good time (if there is such a thing) giving them time to get things in order at half time. Excellent time management in the end, as usual but a few wild swings at the end wasnt what we are used to seeing which ended up working well for Kerry.

Think both teams have room for improvement and I think it's definitely a big missed opportunity for Kerry. Dublin will have learned more because I don't think I've seen Kerry play as well all year. I think back to the Munster final and how wide open they were and now it's got Donie Buckleys imprint all over the defensive system.

Sure like Peter Keane said, we came up and gave it a go. We will come up again in 2 weeks and give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Do you know what we missed in those last 10 mins last weekend - BJ Keane.
    I wonder is there any chance of him coming back in as a wildcard move (I doubt it though).

His direct running in the last 10 mins would have caused them problems and we needed more adventure than Moynihan or Lyne were gona give-you are not going to play out a 1 point lead with 10 mins to go against the Dubs- we needed another score

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I wonder is there any chance of him coming back in as a wildcard move (I doubt it though).

His direct running in the last 10 mins would have caused them problems and we needed more adventure than Moynihan or Lyne were gona give-you are not going to play out a 1 point lead with 10 mins to go against the Dubs- we needed another score

I don't think he would have changed anything, the problem was we couldn't or didn't get the ball to our forwards at all.

Tomas O’Se might be able to fill that role but I don’t think he has made the panel since his brief appearance v Donegal

Would agree with mystic though, Dubs did a full court press and we couldn’t work it out. It really was remarkable from a team down to 14

mystic86 wrote: »
    I don't think he would have changed anything, the problem was we couldn't or didn't get the ball to our forwards at all.

I think his powerful running would have given us a good option for ball into space but it is unlikely that he will come back in

• Advertisement

He was playing in America this summer so even if they wanted to bring him in I don’t think they could and if Peter Keane though he had a role to play at any stage he would have been on the panel in the first place.

I think his powerful running would have given us a good option for ball into space but it is unlikely that he will come back in

That didn't seem to me to be the mindset (ball into space), it seemed to be keep ball in our own half for the most part in those final minutes. Although which I think was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

That didn't seem to me to be the mindset (ball into space), it seemed to be keep ball in our own half for the most part in those final minutes. Although which I think was a mistake.

Some were playing keep ball and some were running into tackles, didn’t seem to be a proper plan at that point.

munster87 wrote: »
    Some were playing keep ball and some were running into tackles, didn’t seem to be a proper plan at that point.

Agreed

I agree it was a mistake and I'm just suggesting him because I think he would have given us another option

He was playing in America this summer so even if they wanted to bring him in I don’t think they could and if Peter Keane though he had a role to play at any stage he would have been on the panel in the first place.

In the first place? I'll raise you Diarmuid Connolly

In the first place? I'll raise you Diarmuid Connolly

Different scenario. BJK was dropped. I think it’s also the case that once you register to play over there you are ineligible although I’m open to correction on that.

Won’t be happening either way.

Different scenario. BJK was dropped. I think it’s also the case that once you register to play over there you are ineligible although I’m open to correction on that.

Won’t be happening either way.

Theres a time limit on the restriction - it's 90 days I think but it would be up for him now anyway.

We need a better option off the bench than Lyne or Moynihan - one of them would be fine but we needed an attacking threat as well late on and neither offer that

Theres a time limit on the restriction - it's 90 days I think but it would be up for him now anyway.

We need a better option off the bench than Lyne or Moynihan - one of them would be fine but we needed an attacking threat as well late on and neither offer that

Yes I’m not sold on either of them. I’d actually prefer Mikey Geaney to Lyne personally. Tomas O’Se is really the only other inside forward I’d see being brought in.

• Advertisement

Yes I’m not sold on either of them. I’d actually prefer Mikey Geaney to Lyne personally. Tomas O’Se is really the only other inside forward I’d see being brought in.

And BJK is substantially better than him - that's why I'm suggesting it!
    But I do agree that it's highly unlikely

Advertisement