Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

And BJK is substantially better than him - that's why I'm suggesting it!
    But I do agree that it's highly unlikely

Pity Kevin McCarthy isn’t involved for whichever reason anymore. I think he’s a step above the likes of Lyne

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

munster87 wrote: »
    Pity Kevin McCarthy isn’t involved for whichever reason anymore. I think he’s a step above the likes of Lyne

Personal problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Forgot about Kevin, yes he would be a great option off the bench for this kind of game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Do you know what we missed in those last 10 mins last weekend - BJ Keane.
    I wonder is there any chance of him coming back in as a wildcard move (I doubt it though).

His direct running in the last 10 mins would have caused them problems and we needed more adventure than Moynihan or Lyne were gona give-you are not going to play out a 1 point lead with 10 mins to go against the Dubs- we needed another score

Last 12 minutes of the match Kerry did not have one shot. Only had 4 possessions and only got inside the Dublin 45 once. having a lad with direct running isn't much use when the opposition are owning the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Last 12 minutes of the match Kerry did not have one shot. Only had 4 possessions and only got inside the Dublin 45 once.
    Another way of looking at it is - in the last 12 minutes Dublin had oceans of ball, time and space inside the Kerry half but only managed one point. The Kerry defence were superb.

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is - in the last 12 minutes Dublin had oceans of ball, time and space inside the Kerry half but only managed one point. The Kerry defence were superb.

Shows how long Dublin are willing to wait in a build up before pulling the trigger too. Some patience.

Shows how long Dublin are willing to wait in a build up before pulling the trigger too. Some patience.
    They did have a lot of patience but they were getting closer to panic stations every minute that passed by. If you remember they did pull the trigger a few times which went wide before finally scored.

Bit disappointed with Kerry playing keep ball so close to their own goal with so much time left. Dublin were out on their feet with a huge press on so there was acres of space behind them. Tommy Walsh and Moynihan were in the Dublin half, fresh as daisies. They should have hammered a few balls up the field to let them chase. I know the Kerry players were exhausted at that stage both physically and mentally but trying to keep the ball and/or running into tackles was very silly I thought, especially so close to their own goal. That kind of messing cost us an all Ireland in 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

davegilly wrote: »
    They did have a lot of patience but they were getting closer to panic stations every minute that passed by. If you remember they did pull the trigger a few times which went wide before finally scored.

Bit disappointed with Kerry playing keep ball so close to their own goal with so much time left. Dublin were out on their feet with a huge press on so there was acres of space behind them. Tommy Walsh and Moynihan were in the Dublin half, fresh as daisies. They should have hammered a few balls up the field to let them chase. I know the Kerry players were exhausted at that stage both physically and mentally but trying to keep the ball and/or running into tackles was very silly I thought, especially so close to their own goal. That kind of messing cost us an all Ireland in 2011!

Dublin did pull the trigger but missed the target. I think you are right though to say a few long balls deep into the Dublin defence could have caused panic resulting in a free or a score

Edgware wrote: »
    Dublin did pull the trigger but missed the target. I think you are right though to say a few long balls deep into the Dublin defence could have caused panic resulting in a free or a score

Towards the start of the second half Gavin Crowley, I think it was, sent in two high balls, one went out over the sideline down in the corner. It looked like they were going to attempt a lot of high ball into full forward line but that was the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Best of luck to the Kerry Camogie team today in the Premier Junior All Ireland final against Limerick

Its on live on RTE 2 with a 12 noon throw in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Hows the ticket situation in Kerry for the replay? Is there a much interest as the first game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Congrats to the Kerry Camogie team.

Well deserved win.

Probably better than the 3 point margin in the end considering the amount of easy wide's they had.

Delighted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Congrats to the Kerry Camogie team.

Well deserved win.

Probably better than the 3 point margin in the end considering the amount of easy wife's they had.

Delighted for them.

Careful now... :D

I agree it was a mistake and I'm just suggesting him because I think he would have given us another option

I don't think we didn't have options, which is why I'm saying I don't think BJK would have changed anything. I think Spillane and Walsh etc. would have done what was needed, but they weren't given the ball, instead keep-ball was the name of he game.

Congrats to the Camogie team, to finally get over the line after losing last year and Clanmaurice coming so close in the club All Ireland the year before, today is fully deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

mystic86 wrote: »
    I don't think we didn't have options, which is why I'm saying I don't think BJK would have changed anything. I think Spillane and Walsh etc. would have done what was needed, but they weren't given the ball, instead keep-ball was the name of he game.

And the reason I’m saying he’d have been a good option is because keep ball was obviously just an ad hoc tactic adopted by a handful of players that made no sense and almost cost us the game.

We engaged in keep ball due to a lack of imagination and/or bravery to attack them.

Our last 2 attacking subs on gave us nothing going forward and BJK would have taken on his man rather than turning back for a cheap and east hand pass that just invites on their press.

Their press was always going to smother us unless we had someone to break the lines which I think BJK would have done.

We clung on last weekend due to idiotic keep ball decisions- Dublin kicked it away at the end and we needed another option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Congrats to the Camogie team, to finally get over the line after losing last year and Clanmaurice coming so close in the club All Ireland the year before, today is fully deserved

Great performance by them. I was hoping they would go 4 points up to help kill off Limerick, But they held out well to get their first All Ireland. Well done to all.

Great performance by them. I was hoping they would go 4 points up to help kill off Limerick, But they held out well to get their first All Ireland. Well done to all.

They just couldnt kill Limerick off, the frees kept Limerick in touch but the Kerry backs were soild for the whole game,

And the reason I’m saying he’d have been a good option is because keep ball was obviously just an ad hoc tactic adopted by a handful of players that made no sense and almost cost us the game.

We engaged in keep ball due to a lack of imagination and/or bravery to attack them.

Our last 2 attacking subs on gave us nothing going forward and BJK would have taken on his man rather than turning back for a cheap and east hand pass that just invites on their press.

Their press was always going to smother us unless we had someone to break the lines which I think BJK would have done.

We clung on last weekend due to idiotic keep ball decisions- Dublin kicked it away at the end and we needed another option

He wouldn't have received the ball. Unless you're suggesting he would have collected it in the half back line himself and ran into the opposition 45 with it and created something, with that pressure that was on our players. In which case I don't buy it. Anyway, I guess it's a pointless discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Looks like we're not the only county with protesting lol

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1171742650376085504?s=19

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Looks like we're not the only county with crazy fcukers protesting lol

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1171742650376085504?s=19

He mustn’t have much else to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Looking for two tickets for myself and wife from Kerry?

Anyone any available PM please and thanks.

conor05 wrote: »
    Looking for two tickets for myself and wife from Kerry?

Anyone any available PM please and thanks.

Same as, I live a long way away and can usually get them from my club here but only got one so far, hoping to get two more by the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Same as last time, there will be loads available by Friday and Saturday. One of our group actually got sorted on the Sunday morning for the first game. Wouldnt worry about tickets

dobman88 wrote: »
    Same as last time, there will be loads available by Friday and Saturday. One of our group actually got sorted on the Sunday morning for the first game. Wouldnt worry about tickets

Yeah I reckon so as well but it’s nice to have them before you set out. I will have a young child with me and don’t want to go in and out of the pubs where a lot of the tickets get swapped around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

50HX wrote: »

Excellent :pac::pac::pac::D

And thanks so much for posting the link, I had heard about it and wanted to hear it so great just to click in and what a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

50HX wrote: »

This is great stuff :D:D they need to replace up for the match with this comedy gold, love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

I'm looking for one ticket, if anyone ends up with a spare. Cheers.

Regarding the game itself, I think we can win. We had Dublin on the rack before Cooper was sent off, we missed a boatload of chances that would normally be scored, we didn't buckle when we went 5 points down, and plenty of lads played their first All-Ireland and now know they're able for it. Dublin will surely be better, but I think we will as well. The major worry is the lack of composure we showed after we went a point ahead, but if that situation arises again, I'm sure they'll be more prepared.

• Advertisement

elguapo wrote: »
    I'm looking for one ticket, if anyone ends up with a spare. Cheers.

Regarding the game itself, I think we can win. We had Dublin on the rack before Cooper was sent off, we missed a boatload of chances that would normally be scored, we didn't buckle when we went 5 points down, and plenty of lads played their first All-Ireland and now know they're able for it. Dublin will surely be better, but I think we will as well. The major worry is the lack of composure we showed after we went a point ahead, but if that situation arises again, I'm sure they'll be more prepared.
    I agree with all of this and I'm reasonably confident we will win. However our conversion rate from scoring attempts is quite poor in relation to Dublin's. We need to convert a much higher percentage of chances. Leaving 2-6 or 2-8 put on the field the last day is suicide against Dublin. If our rate is as low again then we will lose, regardless of how well we play.

Advertisement