Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

County board turned down the offer of TG4 showing the game live due to financial reasons and attendance drops when games are shown live

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Sounds like some brilliant play from Brosnan and David Clifford in the County Final.

Unfortunately short sightedness from the County Board means that we don't get to see it. Crowd of only 8,000 as well. So much for boosting the attendance.

2-13 to 1-6 now with 12mins to go.

Austin Stacks will now go on to play the Munster Club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Sounds like some brilliant play from Brosnan and David Clifford in the County Final.

Unfortunately short sightedness from the County Board means that we don't get to see it. Crowd of only 8,000 as well. So much for boosting the attendance.

2-13 to 1-6 now with 12mins to go.

Austin Stacks will now go on to play the Munster Club championship.

Brosnan was decent but jeez I wouldnt say he was brilliant.
    Paudie clifford was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

County board saved from having no Xmas this year with the good attendance today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Brosnan was decent but jeez I wouldnt say he was brilliant.
    Paudie clifford was excellent

I thought Paudie Clifford was very good today. Would like to see him get a chance during the League, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced he'll cut it at senior inter-county level.

In addition to Paudie, I would like to see the below players given a chance during the NFL following some of their performances in County Championship:

Tony Brosnan (Dr Crokes)
    Liam Kearney (East Kerry)
    Ronan Buckley (East Kerry)
    Dan McCarthy (Kenmare Shamrocks)
    Eoghan O Brien (St Brendans)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

County board saved from having no Xmas this year with the good attendance today

Attendance today 8256

Definitely think there would have been at least a few hundred more if it was on in Killarney, given the weather conditions.

Also the Sem Green game could easily have started a half an hour later or the final could have started half an hour earlier. No need whatsoever for such a large gap between the two games, especially when there was never going to be extra-time for the schools game. Silly carry-on.

Congrats to East Kerry worthy winners - Crokes can have no complaints.

I'd say there'll be some fun with the county board about Rathmore joining East Kerry next year. Personally I'd be leaning towards splitting East Kerry, especially given the age profile and the squad depth they'd have with Rathmore there. There would be a lot of decent club players (especially younger players) who'd most likely be missing out on getting a chance to play county championship if they don't split them.

Same As wrote: »
    I thought Paudie Clifford was very good today. Would like to see him get a chance during the League, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced he'll cut it at senior inter-county level.

In addition to Paudie, I would like to see the below players given a chance during the NFL following some of their performances in County Championship:

Tony Brosnan (Dr Crokes)

I agree with you on Paudie - he plays some lovely stuff but I could see him possibly having issues with the step-up to inter-county. I'm not sure if his game would fit/map all that well onto the intercounty game. I could well be wrong on this. It's definitely worth investigating. Worthy MOTM today - got on a huge amount of ball. His tendency to pick up silly yellows (like he did today) would definitely be something I could see coming against him.

I think Brosnan and Kearney will surely be involved. Ronan Buckley I thought was quieter today than he had been in previous games but he's definitely worth a shout - has a lot of football in him. Saw Dan McCarthy versus West Kerry and he did have a great game there at centre-back but that was the only Kenmare game I saw so I don't know much about him. If that was his usual standard you'd definitely say he's worth being called in. Goalkeeper position definitely needs to be looked at - I can't imagine Brian Kelly is putting Shane Ryan under much pressure for the No 1 jersery.

Brosnan was decent but jeez I wouldnt say he was brilliant. Paudie clifford was excellent

Like I said I couldn't be there to watch it but Radio Kerry were giving him high praise for some of his play.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Same As wrote: »

Tony Brosnan (Dr Crokes)

Paudie definitely deserves his chance if you are to use the Brian Cody rule of thumb, if you are performing consistently excellent with your club in championship you deserve a chance to see can you cut it at county level.

Hopefully we can add to the league panel for 2020. It keeps all last years panelists on their toes and freshens things up.

Na Gaeil beat Killshannig handily enough in the Munster Junior QF. 2-11 to 2-3

Good start to the weekend for the football clubs.

Killgarvan were beaten by Russell Rivers in the Hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Nosebleed territory for Churchill - for a club that usually yoyos between Divisions Four and Five, must be a good few years since they were in Division Three!

Absolutely farcical that Stacks went forward but it was nice to see them hammered all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Absolutely farcical that Stacks went forward but it was nice to see them hammered all the same

I do not thing Croke's would have done any better. In s way it s flawed concept having a team that is 4/6 weeks without a game. However it would also be farcical to send a team that had not won a competition. Maybe the Senior club champion should be nominated fill stop.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sure Stacks havent had a meaningful game for ages. I know they had county league last weekend against St Marys but the Marys were long relegated and had a weak team out. Hardly ideal preperation.
    The gap between games is a massive problem, either the county players are released to their clubs a bit more or clubs just get on and play without them. Look at the county league games yesterday, some of them havent played for the bones of 3 or 4 months and some of them are heading into district championships now when the pitches are pure much and gutter.
    Theres also the matter of promotion/relegation playoffs to be decided.
    County league started on the 10th March, fast forward 8 months and its only finishing up now. 8 months to play 11 games is madness

I do not thing Croke's would have done any better. In s way it s flawed concept having a team that is 4/6 weeks without a game. However it would also be farcical to send a team that had not won a competition. Maybe the Senior club champion should be nominated fill stop.

Crokes would have done a lot better.

Sure stacks didnt even win a game in the county championship this year - their last win of note was months ago.

To be honest - they were probably the club in the worst form to go forward

Crokes would have done a lot better.

Sure stacks didnt even win a game in the county championship this year - their last win of note was months ago.

To be honest - they were probably the club in the worst form to go forward

Crokes did score 3-16 against Kilcummin at the weekend - mind you they did concede 3-15. On the balance of probabilities I think the most likely thing is that Crokes would have turned in a better performance but I wouldn't be all that confident that they would have got a result.

Met some Crokes folk during the week and overall the impression I got was a side who didn't have that much in the way of hunger for making a serious stab at an All-Ireland Club title again. There are a lot of the older lads in the team who have played a world of football and I wouldn't be surprised to see a serious clear-out. Time for the next generation to step-up.

Stacks were in woeful form and missing the injured lads definitely didn't help. They were in a completely different place to where they were when the won the club championship back in April. I think the county board should change the selection criteria again to something that places more emphasis on recent form as opposed to form half a year back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

The most farcical thing for me about it is if the county final between EK and Crokes was a draw. Crokes would go on to the Munster/All Ireland series and the county final wouldnt be replayed until their involvement ended. Tbf to Nemo, they'd have made light work of Crokes also so their involvement would be minimum but surely there are better ways to go about things.

I also understand the county board wanting the club championships to have some meaning, hence the Munster club carrot. Definitely a system that needs tweaking though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

dobman88 wrote: »
    The most farcical thing for me about it is if the county final between EK and Crokes was a draw. Crokes would go on to the Munster/All Ireland series and the county final wouldnt be replayed until their involvement ended. Tbf to Nemo, they'd have made light work of Crokes also so their involvement would be minimum but surely there are better ways to go about things.

I also understand the county board wanting the club championships to have some meaning, hence the Munster club carrot. Definitely a system that needs tweaking though

I dont mean to keep harping on about it but it comes back to county players not being released to their clubs. Kerry will always be there or therabouts in the all ireland. Then we are cramming in the county championship in a very short spell which is unfair on players, david clifford for example has hardly had a weekend off since the all ireland, I see he was out for Fossa yesterday too.
    Maybe the county championship should go back to straight knockout and things might be sorted much sooner.
    Its farcical in other counties and they have no excuses, some counties are out with ages and still leave their county championships till the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Crokes did score 3-16 against Kilcummin at the weekend - mind you they did concede 3-15. On the balance of probabilities I think the most likely thing is that Crokes would have turned in a better performance but I wouldn't be all that confident that they would have got a result.

Met some Crokes folk during the week and overall the impression I got was a side who didn't have that much in the way of hunger for making a serious stab at an All-Ireland Club title again. There are a lot of the older lads in the team who have played a world of football and I wouldn't be surprised to see a serious clear-out. Time for the next generation to step-up.

Stacks were in woeful form and missing the injured lads definitely didn't help. They were in a completely different place to where they were when the won the club championship back in April. I think the county board should change the selection criteria again to something that places more emphasis on recent form as opposed to form half a year back.

The gap in games is not the real issue. stacks did not know until last weekend that they were playing in the All Ireland club championship. If stacks had know that they were playing in the All Ireland club for the last six months they would be targeting the Nemo game with the last 12 weeks. It very hard to plan for a senario where you may or mat not be playing in championship. Crokes were hot favorites to win the KCC. Although the writing was on the wall form earlier in the year. Kenmare Shamrock's should have beaten them but inexperience caught them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is there a yearly pass for the Kerry club games? I’m looking at other options to the Gaa season ticket club plus for €200. I’m not going to be attending as many inter county this year but attend a good few club games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Is there a yearly pass for the Kerry club games? I’m looking at other options to the Gaa season ticket club plus for €200. I’m not going to be attending as many inter county this year but attend a good few club games.

I think there's a pass you can buy from the Kerry GAA store/County Board for club games. I'm not sure of the cost though.

Jaysus lads the New Jersey is rotten. Just a pure money making racket at this stage for €75 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Looks like a dongeal jersey from the early 90's. Is there any white at all in it? The gold hoop seems a bit narrower as well. The sleeve are shocking altogether

The old jersey was nice. Change for changes sake and money grabbing. Its an abomination of a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The jersey from this year and last year is the nicest I've seen yet, it's just perfect, and there's no need whatsoever to change, it's a money making exercise, but I don't think it'll bring in as much as they hope, because all the feedback I've seen is negative so far. I certainly won't be buying this one.

Would agree with both of the above. I'm in Killarney myself today for the O Donoghue cup semi final between Legion and Gneeveguilla so will pop into the GAA store for a look at it but cant say I'll be buying it. The Galvin back to gold one was pure class. Simple is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Don't like it, it may look better on the pitch but it just seems too dark. Really don't like the dark green stripe on the arms. Last season's jersey was the nicest Kerry one in years, probably the nicest county jersey of last season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

siblers wrote: »
    Don't like it, it may look better on the pitch but it just seems too dark. Really don't like the dark green stripe on the arms. Last season's jersey was the nicest Kerry one in years, probably the nicest county jersey of last season

:confused:

There are lots of words I would use to describe it but dark isn't one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dobman88 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads the New Jersey is rotten. Just a pure money making racket at this stage for €75 a pop.

Not just that but no sign of the previous jersey on sale anywhere, just the gold one which I assume undersold, as you said, money making racket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

D'Agger wrote: »
    Not just that but no sign of the previous jersey on sale anywhere, just the gold one which I assume undersold, as you said, money making racket

New blue away one on the way so gold one won't be on sale long more either

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »

Yeah I had a look online for the back to gold one and found nothing. Wonder would it be worth a trip to the O Neills store on Long Mile Road if I find myself out that direction, see would they have any left in stock.

Advertisement