Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Na Gaeil 1-8 to 1-4 ahead. Scandalous penalty to RC just before half time. Typical referee trying to even things up.

Lots of bad wides from Na Gaeil. Hoping for a strong finish.

Ya the game was one way traffic after the Na Gaeil goal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yeah, they should really have been another four up if they'd taken even half the chances, but dominant overall if they stick to how they're playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Big margin of victory in the end. A long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Cracking game so far. JOD looks sharp

Clifford is simply unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Very sharp up front - just need a few more tackles at the back and we've every chance!

• Advertisement

Ref is a disgrace

Fair play to Dublin. Best divers in GAA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ref is a disgrace

:D

In fairness that ref was a joke. Philly McMahon should have been sent off.

Dublin player literally runs into Kerry player and falls down and its a black card when Kerry had the game won. Another dive for Dublin to go up in injury time

Blows back a free when Kerry clean through on goal.

Absolute joker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

In fairness that ref was a joke. Philly McMahon should have been sent off.

Dublin player literally runs into Kerry player and falls down and its a black card when Kerry had the game won. Another dive for Dublin to go up in injury time

Blows back a free when Kerry clean through on goal.

Absolute joker

Thought the ref gifted the last free of the game to Kerry but draw fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Thought the ref gifted the last free of the game to Kerry but draw fair result.

What about the phantom free to Kilkenny for the lead or the ludicrous black card on O’Sullivan before that? Never mind Phillys Conor Mcgergor move on Geaney that only warranted a free. Both sides can probably complain equally about the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Fringe players- who stood out?
    I thought Kearney was good. Tough player and kicked a great point.
    Impressed with Graham O Sullivan who replaced Begley also. Black card was not warranted. Begley gave away the penalty and as I’ve said before, he is a defensive liability.
    Burns played well when he came on but he is like a bull in a china shop . Won a free but he’s a guy who will over carry too often.
    Dara Moynihan very little impact.
    Killian Spillane quiet enough also.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Fringe players- who stood out?
    I thought Kearney was good. Tough player and kicked a great point.
    Impressed with Graham O Sullivan who replaced Begley also. Black card was not warranted. Begley gave away the penalty and as I’ve said before, he is a defensive liability.
    Burns played well when he came on but he is like a bull in a china shop . Won a free but he’s a guy who will over carry too often.
    Dara Moynihan very little impact.
    Killian Spillane quiet enough also.

Kearney has a promising game alright. I like O’Sullivan too and I think he could have a good future in the green and gold.

That’s hard on Begley, Rock went down like a sack of spuds after barely a touch. I’d agree Begley is not the most natural defender, he is a super footballer though, probably most at home as a half forward tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ref is a disgrace

We're saying the same about you lot on the Dublin page😂😂😂

Fann Linn wrote: »
    We're saying the same about you lot on the Dublin page😂😂😂

Creeping in to the game as a whole and it’s not exclusive to Dublin or Kerry. We all view refereeing performances through the prism of our own team. If lads couldnt see the Dublin feigning and diving that went on tonight though I don’t know what to say to them.

And it’s not just diving, I can’t remember who ran in to graham to get him black carded but it was laughable that the referee fell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Just home.

Biggest issue for me is Shane Ryan. When Dublin put the squeeze on him he folds on kickouts. Crowley and O'Shea had worked space in two late kickouts and he didn't see them. People in the stand were shouting at him to kick to them.

Needs to be sorted out as it will be the rock we'll perish on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Think both sides could complain about the ref all day. He was shocking and wanted the game to be about him. Think overall all the bad decisions balanced out.

On Dara Moynihan having little impact. He is just back after a long lay off, thrown into that mix. He will be fine after a few games. What I'd describe as a "tasty footballer".

Clifford lads, what can you say. Absolutely unreal. We needed a score and he produced a goal. Needed a draw and he nailed a pressure free. Think the fact Dean Rock made a point of saying well done soon as it went over says it all. Rock has been there and done it in the highest pressure situations.

Happy with the performance. What a fcuking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

dobman88 wrote: »
    Think both sides could complain about the ref all day. He was shocking and wanted the game to be about him. Think overall all the bad decisions balanced out.

On Dara Moynihan having little impact. He is just back after a long lay off, thrown into that mix. He will be fine after a few games. What I'd describe as a "tasty footballer".

Clifford lads, what can you say. Absolutely unreal. We needed a score and he produced a goal. Needed a draw and he nailed a pressure free. Think the fact Dean Rock made a point of saying well done soon as it went over says it all. Rock has been there and done it in the highest pressure situations.

Happy with the performance. What a fcuking game.

Would agree on Dara, should have mentioned he was out for a long time injured.

Cliffords skill are unbelievable. Like Cooper but with huge strength added to fend off defenders. On a slight negative, he looked like he was lacking a bit of fitness in second half. We will need another working half forward come championship to track his markers run forward as you can be sure other teams will be trying to get him defending to tire him out.

James O Donoghue was fantastic by the way! Paul Geaney worked his socks off in what looks like a new role for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ref is a disgrace

I thought Kerry were better!

Seriously though....both sides adapted to the ref. They knew he wanted to blow his whistle and if a challenge came in they put on a performance for him.

Ref was consistent but i ****ing hate refs who think its a non contact sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was at the match ref was equally bad for both sides. Tommy Walsh got away with nearly a 20 meter run at one stage without a hop or solo. On the other hand he called back play for two frees for Dublin which looked like he got info in the ear piece.

Shane Ryan's kickout's were very poor for last 10-15 minutes. However Dublin were really pushing up on Kerry at that stage. however he was not looking out to the wings enough. he not fast enough to place the ball but the runs are not geed enough either. This area needs a lot of work. Commerford was excellent for Dublin he will put huge pressure on Cluxton for a place this year.

We need a bit more composure late in the game SoS tried for a point when we should have worked it more. JOD did this early in the match as well as diod Geaney but late in the game we need more composure. Dublin hand us the draw, the free was virtually unscoreable whrere it was first conceded but kicking the ball away and conceding 13( which turned into 15-16 metres) was not something you expect James McCarthy to do.

We started with only one of our normal 3 midfielders available and AS got injured early, O Bealoigh getting injured before HT caused us to use 2 subs and limited our option late in the game. This would have impacted us late in the game and Fenton had a big impact on the game without Jack Barry to mark him. We really need to find another midfielder

All in all a good performance it would have been hard to leave there without a point, We have 3 hard away matches against Mayo, Monoghan and Tyrone. Next Saturday night we need to beat Galway to keep the pressure off us and we need to win all our home matches.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

James was very sharp but you almost feel it's only a matter of time before he'll get injured again - hope I'm wrong on that and we get to see him at his best again.

Kearney did very well when he came on - was he marking Fenton when he came on, because Fenton went on a tear for 3 points in a row and thereafter didn't seem to get forward as much, perhaps he picked up Spillane had a knock and just put the foot on the gas for 10 minutes to exploit that I'm not too sure.

We still look light at the back somewhat. We could do with Peter Crowley to fill the bastard role that James McCarthy takes up for Dublin - as much as I hate him, he was involved in every little scrap, he was in the refs ear, he was slowing the game down towards the end and doing the small things that can win you tight games - we lacked that at the back a bit I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Having been at both All Ireland games I'd hoped to see something different from Kerry this time out. However it seems that the same things that got us to within a hair's breadth yet fall short are still there.
    Great to see Clifford and O' Shea continue where they left off. The latter in particular is a terminator - he just excellent at nailing points when they need to be taken ( one wide aside).

It seems to me that unless we sort out our kickout strategy at both ends we're effectively handing Dublin 4-5 easy scores a game. Every time Ryan has to kick the ball out an indecision seems to radiate out of him - its like this is some new unexpected turn of events that he hasn't been trained to deal with. His hesitancy and fear immediately unsettles me, God knows what its doing to his teammates. Its not doing them any favours thats for sure. I know he kicked one directly into Dublin hands in the last 10 minutes when the pressure really ramped up. Was outside for the first 15 minutes so don't know if there was damage at the start. Its incredibly unnerving to watch.

Meanwhile Dublin seem to be able to pick out lads with ease. In the latter stages of the game you see our forwards remonstrating with each other about picking up this or that free Dublin player. How the f is this the case? Every man should know who he has to mark if the kick out is going to be pushed up on. In those situations where absolute application to the task at hand is vital, those decisions shouldn't need to be taken on the hoof. Its a distraction and sows confusion and frustration.

Its like watching a team of talented paintballers take on a Swat team - ad hoc off the cuff talent vs lads who have trained and drilled so they know exactly where to be and what they have to do in any given situation. Now the gulf is nowhere near as wide as it was 2 years ago, but this seems like basic enough scenarios to be able to have a plan in place for. That we haven't addressed it yet is very worrying.

My main worry though is that when the game was entering the phase where it was won or lost, Dublin were like sharks scenting blood, we were clinging on for dear life. We were three points up with 10 minutes to go. Instead of us going for the kill it was the Dubs who did. If the last decade has taught us anything its that you do not want to be in a tight game with the greatest team of closers the game has ever seen.
    Its simply not enough to think you are as good as Dublin - that will get you a replay as ourselves and Mayo know. You have to decide that you are slaying the beast. I'm not certain that Kerry are at that point of pain where they'll die rather than settle for anything other than victory.

I remember coming away from the 2011 version of this fixture convinced I'd seen the All Ireland champions that night. Dublin just emitted a vibe of having absolutely had it with coming up short. I'm afraid I didn't see the same from this Kerry team. I just pray that we can meet these guys in the final of the league. One more defeat might fill the cup of pain to overflowing

Kumejima wrote: »
    Having been at both All Ireland games I'd hoped to see something different from Kerry this time out. However it seems that the same things that got us to within a hair's breadth yet fall short are still there.
    Great to see Clifford and O' Shea continue where they left off. The latter in particular is a terminator - he just excellent at nailing points when they need to be taken ( one wide aside).

It seems to me that unless we sort out our kickout strategy at both ends we're effectively handing Dublin 4-5 easy scores a game. Every time Ryan has to kick the ball out an indecision seems to radiate out of him - its like this is some new unexpected turn of events that he hasn't been trained to deal with. His hesitancy and fear immediately unsettles me, God knows what its doing to his teammates. Its not doing them any favours thats for sure. I know he kicked one directly into Dublin hands in the last 10 minutes when the pressure really ramped up. Was outside for the first 15 minutes so don't know if there was damage at the start. Its incredibly unnerving to watch.

Meanwhile Dublin seem to be able to pick out lads with ease. In the latter stages of the game you see our forwards remonstrating with each other about picking up this or that free Dublin player. How the f is this the case? Every man should know who he has to mark if the kick out is going to be pushed up on. In those situations where absolute application to the task at hand is vital, those decisions shouldn't need to be taken on the hoof. Its a distraction and sows confusion and frustration.

Its like watching a team of talented paintballers take on a Swat team - ad hoc off the cuff talent vs lads who have trained and drilled so they know exactly where to be and what they have to do in any given situation. Now the gulf is nowhere near as wide as it was 2 years ago, but this seems like basic enough scenarios to be able to have a plan in place for. That we haven't addressed it yet is very worrying.

My main worry though is that when the game was entering the phase where it was won or lost, Dublin were like sharks scenting blood, we were clinging on for dear life. We were three points up with 10 minutes to go. Instead of us going for the kill it was the Dubs who did. If the last decade has taught us anything its that you do not want to be in a tight game with the greatest team of closers the game has ever seen.
    Its simply not enough to think you are as good as Dublin - that will get you a replay as ourselves and Mayo know. You have to decide that you are slaying the beast. I'm not certain that Kerry are at that point of pain where they'll die rather than settle for anything other than victory.

I remember coming away from the 2011 version of this fixture convinced I'd seen the All Ireland champions that night. Dublin just emitted a vibe of having absolutely had it with coming up short. I'm afraid I didn't see the same from this Kerry team. I just pray that we can meet these guys in the final of the league. One more defeat might fill the cup of pain to overflowing

Dublin were picking lads out at their ease because Kerry decided to play a sweeper (Murphy) and give Dublin the kick outs. The fitness required to push up on them all game is not there at this time of the year.

Towards the end Dublin pushed up and put big pressure on Ryan and he panicked, missing or not seeing free teammates available. In fairness to Ryan, even Cluxton finds the going tough when that kind of pressure is applied and he had some major meltdowns in games in the past, but he got over them.

Shane is young and a real cool customer by all accounts. I think he will be an excellent all around keeper in time. They need a plan for when that press is applied in future though, they have plenty of time to be working on it between now and the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Great post. Makes a lot of sense too. Id agree with everything - i thought Kerry should have won by a few points with the team they had picked. Hanging on for dear life again at the end. The only potential positive is they kept going to the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Very important to remember kerry were down 4 midfielders when Spillane went off injured. Very hard compete given that number of players missing from the one area.

(obv Moran, Barry, O'Connor all missing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

I know they lost to Galway by a couple of points but did anyone stand out for the u20s the last day?

Kerry definitely have enough talent to turn Dublin over on any given day. They need, however, to unearth a Dara O Se type footballer who can just grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag the team over the line by force of will. And then find 3 more with the same bloody minded streak in them just to be safe.

Kerry definitely have enough talent to turn Dublin over on any given day. They need, however, to unearth a Dara O Se type footballer who can just grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag the team over the line by force of will. And then find 3 more with the same bloody minded streak in them just to be safe.

I think for the Dara comment that Mark O’ Connor could have been that player. A pity for Kerry but he probably made the right choice for himself. Clifford and Sean O’ Shea look like they will be able to do similar in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

munster87 wrote: »
    I know they lost to Galway by a couple of points but did anyone stand out for the u20s the last day?

We won 2-17 to 1-18. Didn't see the match as I was in Croker but Kerry GAA tweeted that we won anyway.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    We won 2-17 to 1-18. Didn't see the match as I was in Croker but Kerry GAA tweeted that we won anyway.

Don’t know what result I was looking at! 2-17, not a bad score.

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    I think for the Dara comment that Mark O’ Connor could have been that player. A pity for Kerry but he probably made the right choice for himself. Clifford and Sean O’ Shea look like they will be able to do similar in the coming years.

He's in the back of my mind too. Haven't seen him play but reports are positive. Who would he be most reminiscent of from a playing perspective?

Advertisement