Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

One thing that I noticed the last last night was the difference in the speed of the restarts, the Dubs keeper Comerford was out to the 20 at lightening pace while Shane Ryan was just ambling out most of the time, Dubs were set up by the time he was ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

One thing that I noticed the last last night was the difference in the speed of the restarts, the Dubs keeper Comerford was out to the 20 at lightening pace while Shane Ryan was just ambling out most of the time, Dubs were set up by the time he was ready to go

That is an ingoing issue. Dubs have two options out wide on kickouts as effort from opponents free is going over bar or wide. All keeper has to do is get ball quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Very lucky to win that tonight. Galway robbed.

A lot of needless turnovers. Clifford did well at times but dropped a few bad one short.

We are struggling on our kickout. Kickouts aren't hitting men moving into position when we go long as we're too slow kicking it as the option presents itself. We were forced to go short for nearly the entire second half and that makes life more difficult than it should be.

Don't think Geaney is suited to playing out the field and today highlighted that we haven't cover for Sean O'Shea at all.

Good fight shown but Galway could have scored two more goals.

Don't want to be too harsh as it's only February but tonight wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Very lucky to win that tonight. Galway robbed.

A lot of needless turnovers. Clifford did well at times but dropped a few bad one short.

We are struggling on our kickout. Kickouts aren't hitting men moving into position when we go long as we're too slow kicking it as the option presents itself. We were forced to go short for nearly the entire second half and that makes life more difficult than it should be.

Don't think Geaney is suited to playing out the field and today highlighted that we haven't cover for Sean O'Shea at all.

Good fight shown but Galway could have scored two more goals.

Don't want to be too harsh as it's only February but tonight wasn't great.

Galway should have won tonight. We robbed them.

Ryan had a few great saves. But needs to up the pace on kick outs. Also that’s 2 games in a row where he kicked straight to an opposition forward who scored.

Enright is no longer good enough to start. He no longer has the pace and athleticism which made him a great player. An option late in game when the pace is gone out of the game at best. Was skinned several times tonight.

Liam Kearney very solid overall. A great safe option off the bench come champ.
    Graham O Sullivan also very solid and will push for a starting spot.
    Spillane still a bit rusty but gets himself into scoring positions so often. Could be a massive player for us this year.
    Tommy Walsh was excellent. Need to use him better, even if it is as an early impact sub.

Gavin O Brien very poor tonight. Not sure what he is. He’s big but not a fielder, he’s a forward but not a scorer, he’s not an athlete who will run and run. Unsure what he offers....

Any news on James O Donoghue going off at half time. Was playing great. The forwards structure of play seemed to disappear when he went off.

David Clifford isn’t match fit yet. Disappeared from 35-70mins again this week. Imagine what he will do when he is fully fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Well done tonight lads, it seems ye are harder to beat then a badger ...

Plenty of warning signs for the Summer though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Great win for the hurlers - should make the league final now, but Meath away will be tricky.

Great win for the hurlers - should make the league final now, but Meath away will be tricky.

Great win in brutal conditions

The big games in the group are the games involving ourselves,Offaly and Antrim

We have won one of them games now, the next round of games are big games

We are away to Meath who seem to be improving again and its Offaly V Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

In relation to the Football Super 8s, looks like the GAA have made it more difficult to try and map out what games we will be facing - in the past they set out specific match ups for each of the 3 rounds, but now it seems who we face in the 2nd and 3rd games depends on whether we win the 1st game or not...

Also, the fact we are facing Cork in the Munster SF this year rather than the final further makes it difficult to map out the games we will be facing, if we win Munster we will be in Group 2, but if we lose we don't have an assigned slot in Group 1 as the Munster Runner Up (if we beat the team coming through from the qualifier), instead we are one of the teams coming through the qualifiers so I think we could end up in either Group..?

:confused:

Notice of Motion to the Kerry County Committee - ‘That the Captain of the Kerry Senior Hurling & Football teams shall be selected by the Team Management in consultation with the Chairman of the Kerry County Committee. This Motion if passed is to be applied from 2021 onward’. (Beaufort Club)

The Motion results: In favour 50, Against 48 - as the motion required a two thirds majority the motion is therefore defeated

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news_detail/10060018/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

That's very disappointing about the captaincy. Afaik players and management wanted the change and imo they're the ones who should he listened to. Would be interested to see what clubs voted what way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

dobman88 wrote: »
    That's very disappointing about the captaincy. Afaik players and management wanted the change and imo they're the ones who should he listened to. Would be interested to see what clubs voted what way

That is the second time that motion has been defeated heavily in the past two years,Each delegated was mandated from the clubs so the grassroots have spoken.

There has been a severe dilution of the link between club & county over the past decade.It was not so long ago county players played 4/5 co.lge games,That is now zero with the number of county players playing with their club in April dwinding year on year.

A full review with focus on re-connecting the club with the county team and i think this issue could be revisited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Interesting, as a club player i dont remember being asked

Prop Joe wrote: »
    That is the second time that motion has been defeated heavily in the past two years,Each delegated was mandated from the clubs so the grassroots have spoken.

There has been a severe dilution of the link between club & county over the past decade.It was not so long ago county players played 4/5 co.lge games,That is now zero with the number of county players playing with their club in April dwinding year on year.

A full review with focus on re-connecting the club with the county team and i think this issue could be revisited

I'd say it should be nothing to do with club players. The lads on the Kerry team and ex players should have been listened to. Anyone not directly involved in the set up has absolutely no idea what it's like in a dressing room these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Prop Joe wrote: »

Hardly defeated that heavily - the vote was 50 - 48 in favour but it needed a 2/3s majority.

I doubt the vote had anything to do with a disconnect between clubs and the county team - the overwhelming the vibe in favour of retaining it seemed to be about the tradition.

mystic86 wrote: »
    In relation to the Football Super 8s, looks like the GAA have made it more difficult to try and map out what games we will be facing - in the past they set out specific match ups for each of the 3 rounds, but now it seems who we face in the 2nd and 3rd games depends on whether we win the 1st game or not...

Also, the fact we are facing Cork in the Munster SF this year rather than the final further makes it difficult to map out the games we will be facing, if we win Munster we will be in Group 2, but if we lose we don't have an assigned slot in Group 1 as the Munster Runner Up (if we beat the team coming through from the qualifier), instead we are one of the teams coming through the qualifiers so I think we could end up in either Group..?

:confused:

There's 3 possibilities

- we beat Cork and we win the Munster Final - into the Super 8s as Munster winner in Group 2

- we beat Cork and we lose the Munster Final - then we go into the Tier 1 Qualifers Round 2 against one of the Tier 1 Qualifiers Round 1 - if we win that Qualifers Round 2 game we would be in Group 1 as Munster runners-up.

- we lose to Cork - then we go into the Tier Qualifers Round 1 - if we get to the Super 8s, which group we go into depends on the Qualifiers Round 2 draw i.e if we are drawn against the Leinster provincial runner-up and beat them then we take their place in the Super 8s in Group 1.
    I think there is a rule in place in relation to Round 2 of the Qualifiers to avoid re-matches which could affect the draw/which group Kerry would end up in.
    Not sure if the rule about rematches applies in Round 1 - the rules might be tweaked a bit because of Tier 1/Tier 2.

If we assume Kerry win Munster, then the first round of the Super8s would be in Killarney on the 11th of July against the Connacht runner-up or the team that defeats them in Round 2 of the Qualifiers.
    Kerry win that and the 2nd group game would most likely be against Dublin in Dublin.
    The 3rd round game would be away on the 1st-2nd August to the remaining team in the group - the Ulster runners-up or the team that beats them.

Things are a lot more vague and uncertain if Kerry don't win Munster.

Lads if yer looking at Kerry not winning Munster theres something drastically wrong. I wouldn't even take it into consideration when looking at making plans.

Lads if yer looking at Kerry not winning Munster theres something drastically wrong. I wouldn't even take it into consideration when looking at making plans.

I don't think it's likely but there is a remote possibility.

There's just far too many question marks around the defence overall.

I can see some day where Kerry leak 3/4 goals like the Munster final last year and the lads at the other end of the pitch don't manage to bail us out.

I fear we are turning into Mayo in a defensive sense - every team we play no matter what their level we will give them multiple goal chances in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Lads forcast very bad for weekend we had planned to travel to omagh tomorrow but not sure now what do ye think will match go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

kerryjack wrote: »
    Lads forcast very bad for weekend we had planned to travel to omagh tomorrow but not sure now what do ye think will match go ahead.

Same question myself, but will probably only find out an hour before throw-in if it's cancelled.

kerryjack wrote: »

Dont think itll be bad enough to cancel it. I'll be packing the big coat and a change of clothes though as a lot of rain will drop by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

hoganstand.com reporting that the Tyrone v Kerry game might be moved to Endendork from Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Be advised that Postcode is incorrect and also there is no stand at the Edendork pitch. Im heading up for my sins but Christ its not going to be fun.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Be advised that Postcode is incorrect and also there is no stand at the Edendork pitch. Im heading up for my sins but Christ its not going to be fun.

Bt71 6LA is the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Ref had a shocker there today. Tyrone clearly targeted Clifford there and got him sent off. Umpires useless as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That was unbelievable.

Tyrone players playing for the foul

Mickey Harte cynical masterclass sending on a sub to get Clifford sent off. No doubt it will be recinded

No idea what Harte was sent off for

They really need to bring in technology to help the refs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That second yellow for Clifford was a joke. Dragged down in front of umpires and he got a yellow

Absolute farce giving Clifford a yellow for that, Tyrone targeted him, no doubt, also plenty diving going on by them, and other cynical crap.. God they are a horrible shower

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

ROFL...so Tyrone went out to hammer the hammer and it bit Kerry in the ass? I presume Daragh O'Se is going to write another column about it all tomorrow?

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    ROFL...so Tyrone went out to hammer the hammer and it bit Kerry in the ass? I presume Daragh O'Se is going to write another column about it all tomorrow?

That is not what hammer the hammer means.

Advertisement