Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He's used it to refer to special treatment of both Cluxton and Connelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

ProudDUB wrote: »
    He's used it to refer to special treatment of both Cluxton and Connelly.

I don't know the articles you're on about, and I could imagine that Connolly might have been targeted (maybe not Cluxton in goals, other than targeting his kick outs and trying to put him under pressure to see if they can get in his head, because that is one of Dublin's biggest strengths, which is the meaning of hammer the hammer by the way) but I am saying that he doesn't own the meaning of that saying, and that saying does not mean get a player sent off on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

The landscape of the the top teams at the minute is weird

Dublin are out in front and possibly only Kerry could pip them no one else me thinks

But Kerry with the rest e.g mayo Tyrone donegal are vulnerable enough

I was disappointed with Kerry today and last week even if it is early days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

C__MC wrote: »
    The landscape of the the top teams at the minute is weird

Dublin are out in front and possibly only Kerry could pip them no one else me thinks

But Kerry with the rest e.g mayo Tyrone donegal are vulnerable enough

I was disappointed with Kerry today and last week even if it is early days

It’s very early days and we don’t know what stage they are at with training etc. No point getting excited about league games this early on.

They do look very vulnerable at the back and this has been an issue for some time. I like Graham O’Sullivan, and Tom O’Sullivan will also be a huge addition later. Centre back in particular is a big question mark at the moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Jesus lads. I do think down in Mayo we get the few wrong calls from the auld refs - the biased heads on us and all. But God, ye should make an application to whatever powers that be that that ref never sets foot in Kerry again. David Clifford is the most exciting player in GAA at the moment, and for that referee to fall foul of Tyrone's cynicism yesterday is disgraceful. Instead of trying to protect and encourage classy football. Everyone knows that Tyrone don't give a shlt about player welfare and would target him. How the ref couldn't predict this and take it into account. And the dope of an umpire on his gadget when Clifford was trying to explain (rant) to him. I don't know.
    I've watched a fair view of the league games this year, and there seems to a hell of a lot of contentious decisions. Maybe with the various rule changes, it's becoming too much for the refs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It’s very early days and we don’t know what stage they are at with training etc. No point getting excited about league games this early on.

They do look very vulnerable at the back and this has been an issue for some time. I like Graham O’Sullivan, and Tom O’Sullivan will also be a huge addition later. Centre back in particular is a big question mark at the moment for me.

I know that game has changed re a centre backs role, but Jesus id love to see an old fashioned "stopper" playing the role

Liam Flaherty type player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

I seriously think we lack the physicality for those games on dirty days on a dead pitch.

Paul Murphy must have been turned over at least 6/7 times alone, carrying the ball into contact.

kilns wrote: »
    Sorry to feel sympathy for Kerry yesterday and the Clifford incident because also over the weekend you inflicted the country with the Healy Rae's once again #no sympthy

This is relevant to Kerry GAA how exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Same As wrote: »
    I seriously think we lack the physicality for those games on dirty days on a dead pitch.

Paul Murphy must have been turned over at least 6/7 times alone, carrying the ball into contact.

I’d agree with that. Murphy and White in the same half back line is asking for trouble. As the ground gets a bit harder you might get away with it a bit more but that whole half back line is a work in progress really.

I’d agree with that. Murphy and White in the same half back line is asking for trouble. As the ground gets a bit harder you might get away with it a bit more but that whole half back line is a work in progress really.

We are seriously light on options in the backs and the half forward line.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing Peter Crowley & Jack Sherwood coming back at some stage. Graham O Sullivan is learning and will be a good addition also.

Dara Moynihan, Burns, Michael Potts are all too small for this level in my opinion and I don't think it's clever to have any of the above + Murphy on a starting team. Tyrone targeted the side of Paul Murphy and Burns/Moynihan numerous times from the kickout due to the complete mismatch.

Half forwards wise, I don't think Mush O Brien is going to cut it at this level. An injury to either of O Shea & O Brien and you're really clutching for replacements to make that half line that will cut it at the top table.

Now, no All Ireland was won or lost in February, but these are ongoing concerns for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

We are seriously light on options in the backs and the half forward line.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing Peter Crowley & Jack Sherwood coming back at some stage. Graham O Sullivan is learning and will be a good addition also.

Dara Moynihan, Burns, Michael Potts are all too small for this level in my opinion and I don't think it's clever to have any of the above + Murphy on a starting team. Tyrone targeted the side of Paul Murphy and Burns/Moynihan numerous times from the kickout due to the complete mismatch.

Half forwards wise, I don't think Mush O Brien is going to cut it at this level. An injury to either of O Shea & O Brien and you're really clutching for replacements to make that half line that will cut it at the top table.

Now, no All Ireland was won or lost in February, but these are ongoing concerns for me.
    How did Kearney do midfield - would there be any benefit trying one of the few good options we have at midfield at half forward if they're mobile enough? Would provide an option from kickouts, physicality but perhaps reduce scoring threat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think there is potential there for Diarmuid O'Connor to become an animal, and we could probably do with it happening quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

This is relevant to Kerry GAA how exactly?

A sense of humour would help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

kilns wrote: »
    A sense of humour would help

Our sense of humour is frustrated with useless aul yokes of refs. The Healy Rays would do way better.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Random fact, the last time Kerry played in Mid-Ulster was in 2009 at Bellaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Random fact, the last time Kerry played in Mid-Ulster was in 2009 at Bellaghy.

...it’s a sign

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anyone have a clue why the Meath game is on at 1pm with the hurlers on before it at 11am? Makes no sense whatsoever to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Deividas Uosis set to join Brisbane Lions in the autumn:

https://www.the42.ie/kerry-afl-deividas-uosis-brisbane-lions-5011179-Feb2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

BPKS wrote: »
    Anyone have a clue why the Meath game is on at 1pm with the hurlers on before it at 11am? Makes no sense whatsoever to me

Is the ladies game not on at 11? Not sure the hurlers have a game this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I saw somewhere that the game was moved earlier to avoid clashing with the six nations game between Ireland and England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

wonga77 wrote: »
    I saw somewhere that the game was moved earlier to avoid clashing with the six nations game between Ireland and England

Another possible factor might have been the fact that there are no flood-lights in the park which if the game was at 3 could have caused problems in terms of visibility with the way the weather and the cloud cover has been the last while, even with the bit of a stretch in the evenings. The sod in the park will be given a serious testing given the 2 schools games on Saturday and the 2 games on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just out of Fitzgerald stadium.

Thoughts.

1. We have huge problems with kick outs. The keeper is very laboured and slow and kicks it aimlessly into midfield after putting himself under pressure.

2. Tommy Walsh is an animal. He turned the game. That squat of the Meath player was right in front of me

3. We are missing Crowley. We have no plug at teams running at us.

4. Clifford was electric in the first half. Very quiet in the second half.

Overall we looked tired. They look to be carrying weight all over the team. Probably a lot of gym work.

A win is a win but we were patchy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Thoughts.

1. We have huge problems with kick outs. The keeper is very laboured and slow and kicks it aimlessly into midfield after putting himself under pressure.

2. Tommy Walsh is an animal. He turned the game. That squat of the Meath player was right in front of me

Overall we looked tired. They look to be carrying weight all over the team. Probably a lot of gym work.

Ryan and Kelly seem to be weak on kickouts. With only a few league games left, time running out to find a solution to this ongoing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kerry finish with 13 men and eventually shake off dogged Meath https://the42.ie/5018723

The 42 have the shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Brian f*ckin Kelly? WTF is goin on?

Honestly I thought this crap was at an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Thoughts.

Id agree with all that, if Meath had a target man we would have been in big trouble. Cant figure out why our forwards were dropping so deep. Geaney was back in the fb line for Meaths second goal
    Edited to say, I thought the ref was chronic for both sides, the first black card for Meath looked stupidly harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Thoughts.

The kickouts are abysmal for a long time.

When Dublin were down a player he couldn't find a spare man. The coaching is non existant.
    Once the goalie gets the ball into his hand for the kickout he should be scanning the field. The backs should all be on triggers. Often the 30 m straight kick is the surest, or else a lob over the front two to 50m line - lift is important but should be simple with a tee.

If the goalie gets a return from the kickout under absolutely no circumstances should the goalie not get the ball over/past the first forward to his marking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

The goalkeeping coaching is coming from someone who was far from comfortable at it himself, so we shouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What I see is there is option early for the kick out but the inability to gett the ball away early is.not happening. Some of these are 80-90% possession chances but when we fail to take this option we go long. When we go long we do not have the bodies under the ball to win the knock-downs. As well we seem to only have one option for lockouts.

It was.interesting at the second throw in yesterday we knocked the ball forward where Meath was matching us man for man instead of back to our half back line where we had a 4-3 advantage and as well it was 2-1 around the Meath CF

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

What I see is there is option early for the kick out but the inability to gett the ball away early is.not happening. Some of these are 80-90% possession chances but when we fail to take this option we go long. When we go long we do not have the bodies under the ball to win the knock-downs. As well we seem to only have one option for lockouts.

It was.interesting at the second throw in yesterday we knocked the ball forward where Meath was matching us man for man instead of back to our half back line where we had a 4-3 advantage and as well it was 2-1 around the Meath CF

Surely there can hardly be more than 20 (at the outside) options for the kick out. All of these should be coached to the utmost. Just like the downs in American Football.

Ditto for the throw in - as Bass references.

Advertisement