Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how many were Mayo missing?

Keegan was one notable. many more?

Aidan O Shea also :p

the thing is, we were missing probably 11 or 12 lads but that may not necessarily be a bad thing, is Jason Foley better than Fionn? is BOB a better bet than killian Young? is Burns better and M Geany? is Sean O Shea better than Buckley etc etc

based off so far, 7 or 8 lads have put themselves forward for inclusion on starting 15 in first championship game. the likes of the last above should be worried about their places in the squad let alone the first 15

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

how many were Mayo missing?

Keegan was one notable. many more?

Aidan O Shea also :p

the thing is, we were missing probably 11 or 12 lads but that may not necessarily be a bad thing, is Jason Foley better than Fionn? is BOB a better bet than killian Young? is Burns better and M Geany? is Sean O Shea better than Buckley etc etc

based off so far, 7 or 8 lads have put themselves forward for inclusion on starting 15 in first championship game. the likes of the last above should be worried about their places in the squad let alone the first 15
    Keegan, Barrett, Seamie O'Shea, Higgins, Vaughan, Parsons

Some key lads there.

We were short Crowley, Morley, James, Donaghy, Moran, Maher plus 12 or 13 more panellists.

Neither side near full strength really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

DDC1990 wrote: »

Some key lads there.

We were short Crowley, Morley, James, Donaghy, Moran, Maher plus 12 or 13 more panellists.

Shur James gone to Bayern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vy8qUy2Mg

Some highlights. I'd advise turning the sound off though.

Some key lads there.

we had 6 of the lads that played in the all ireland semi finals last year.

mayo had 13!

• Advertisement

based off the semi final, the lads missing at the moment are -

Kelly (on bench)
    1. Fionn
    2. Griffan
    3. young
    4. P Crowley
    5. Morley
    6. Moran
    7. Maher
    8. M Geany
    9. buckley
    10. Donaghy
    11. JOD (injured but played last week)
    12. Darran
    13. Donnacha
    14. Lyne (gone apparently)

is it beyond possibity to say that 8 or 9 of those will be lucky to make the panel this year now especially with a few of the younger lads still to get game time?

or are we jumping the gun a bit too early yet with the new lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

based off the semi final, the lads missing at the moment are -

Kelly (on bench)
    1. Fionn
    2. Griffan
    3. young
    4. P Crowley
    5. Morley
    6. Moran
    7. Maher
    8. M Geany
    9. buckley
    10. Donaghy
    11. JOD (injured but played last week)
    12. Darran
    13. Donnacha
    14. Lyne (gone apparently)

is it beyond possibity to say that 8 or 9 of those will be lucky to make the panel this year now especially with a few of the younger lads still to get game time?

or are we jumping the gun a bit too early yet with the new lads?

We have no choice but to go with the young lads. They will not be blooded on the training ground and GYM. When you look at Sean O'Se you question what he was not played last year.

Of the 15 above Fionn, Young, Maher, Darren and Lyne have liitle to offter in the short term even, Donnacha who I have great respect for is more than likly gone as weel. Donaghy has that physical presence to worry other team but that is limited as his value around the field is limited.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd be pretty disappointed to see Geaney shunted back out to the corner when he looks set to do wreck at full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd be pretty disappointed to see Geaney shunted back out to the corner when he looks set to do wreck at full forward.

I agree and would you prefer a full forward line of Geany,Clifford and O'Donoghue, or Donnacha, Donnoghy and Geaney. Darren O'Sillivan is not really an option even as a sub you really need to throw the young lads in at the dep end if we want to win an All-Ireland before the '20's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

keane2097 wrote: »

Ya,agree 100%,the way this team is set up now and playing Geaney has to stay full forward,he seems to be improving his game every year and is now a leader of the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Ya,agree 100%,the way this team is set up now and playing Geaney has to stay full forward,he seems to be improving his game every year and is now a leader of the team

+1, Geaney has really stepped up to the mark in that respect, we really did lack a real on field leader. Would be no harm to pick up another one or two vocal leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

One of the comments read out on "Terrace Talk" tonight was that the older players really should be packing it in now,that it's time for them to be buying their tickets and watching,like the rest of us. Harsh, but I'd agree 100%. In fact you'd wonder why some of these older ones haven't packed it in. Gooch got it right when he said in his book that he'd rather be asked why he retired rather than why he isn't retiring. I'll be so frustrated if I see promising younger lads losing out to the older ones. It just won't advance the cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

acequion wrote: »
    One of the comments read out on "Terrace Talk" tonight was that the older players really should be packing it in now,that it's time for them to be buying their tickets and watching,like the rest of us. Harsh, but I'd agree 100%. In fact you'd wonder why some of these older ones haven't packed it in. Gooch got it right when he said in his book that he'd rather be asked why he retired rather than why he isn't retiring. I'll be so frustrated if I see promising younger lads losing out to the older ones. It just won't advance the cause!

I wouldn't go for a full cull but a nice balance of younger players and some older players. It was very disappointing to see fitzmaurice revert to the same old come championship last year despite many of the younger players doing very well in the league. I think it set kerry back a bit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Any previews online for the ITT vs. DIT game tonight? Is Clifford fit to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Any previews online for the ITT vs. DIT game tonight? Is Clifford fit to play?

Not starting

Gavin Crowley off early tonight as well

https://twitter.com/MortimerMurphy1/status/960957953628147712

https://imgur.com/UqDaKFA

Shanahan's tackle on Regan was definitely more unlucky than dirty. Regan ended up hitting his shoulder while checking inside. Shanahan's hand was low the whole time.

Hope Regan recovers soon. Desperately unlucky, especially vs Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Sean O Shea didn't feature for UCC today as they limped out against NUIG. Wasn't even togged so possible he's carrying a knock of some sort into the weekend. Adrian Spillane made his return from injury, while brother Killian missed a spotter in the dying embers to put a point between the teams.

BoB was most impressive for UCC, probably their best on a bad day. Jason looked to be minding himself a bit, few forward frolics this afternoon. Andrew Barry also lined out for UCC, not sure he's going to cut the mustard at senior for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Far be it from me to defend a Stacks fella but Ronan Shanahan of all people being called a thug is a bit depressing.

We're all inclined to be passionate like, but I dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Just saw Kerry team for the weekend. Is Fitzmaurice trying to injure as many young players as possible? Jack Barry and Barry O'Sullivan being made to play 2 away games with Kerry in between tough Sigerson 1/4 final and semi-final with UCD is dumb at best, abusive at worst. Already Clifford, Seán O'Shea and Gavin Crowley are injured.
    4 games in 11 days any time of year is ludicrous, but this time of year it is even more ludicrous, especially when it's for league games.

For the record, the squad is:
    1.Shane Murphy (C) Dr. Crokes
    2.Shane Enright Tarbert
    3.Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    4.Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks
    5.Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6.Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
    7.Brian Ó Beaglaíoch An Ghaeltacht
    8.Jack Barry Na Gaeil
    9.Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    10.Micheál Burns Dr. Crokes
    11.Dáithí Casey Dr Crokes
    12.Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    13.Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys
    14.Paul Geaney Dingle
    15.Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid
    16.Brian Kelly Legion
    17.Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    18.Matthew Flaherty Dingle
    19.Éanna Ó Conchúir An Ghaeltacht
    20.Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys
    21.Killian Spillane Templenoe
    22.Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
    23.Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    24.Mikey Geaney Dingle
    25.Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    26.Adrian Spillane Templenoe

• Advertisement

Just saw Kerry team for the weekend. Is Fitzmaurice trying to injure as many young players as possible? Jack Barry and Barry O'Sullivan being made to play 2 away games with Kerry in between tough Sigerson 1/4 final and semi-final with UCD is dumb at best, abusive at worst. Already Clifford, Seán O'Shea and Gavin Crowley are injured.
    4 games in 11 days any time of year is ludicrous, but this time of year it is even more ludicrous, especially when it's for league games.

For the record, the squad is:
    1.Shane Murphy (C) Dr. Crokes
    2.Shane Enright Tarbert
    3.Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    4.Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks
    5.Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6.Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
    7.Brian Ó Beaglaíoch An Ghaeltacht
    8.Jack Barry Na Gaeil
    9.Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    10.Micheál Burns Dr. Crokes
    11.Dáithí Casey Dr Crokes
    12.Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    13.Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys
    14.Paul Geaney Dingle
    15.Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid
    16.Brian Kelly Legion
    17.Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    18.Matthew Flaherty Dingle
    19.Éanna Ó Conchúir An Ghaeltacht
    20.Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys
    21.Killian Spillane Templenoe
    22.Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
    23.Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    24.Mikey Geaney Dingle
    25.Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    26.Adrian Spillane Templenoe

So much for keeping an eye on the players workload.

So much for keeping an eye on the players workload.

What are you on about. Kerry players playing Sigerson had GPS units fitted and their stats monitored. In some cases (Ronan Shanahan) lads had an easier outing than they would have at training. A game is much more stop/start then training. Plenty more chances for recovery.

Fitz was happy that the lads at midfield didn't kill themselves and will be good to go on Sunday.

Injuries happen, with or without Sigerson games. The bulk of Kerry injuries over the years have come as a result of the 6 week layoff after the Munster Final without a match.

Instead of playing 2 Kerry matches and having 2 training sessions, lads have 3 matches.

As a player I'd have preferred that to be honest and if the stats come back good then i'm happy that the lads are playing.

What are you on about. Kerry players playing Sigerson had GPS units fitted and their stats monitored. In some cases (Ronan Shanahan) lads had an easier outing than they would have at training. A game is much more stop/start then training. Plenty more chances for recovery.

Fitz was happy that the lads at midfield didn't kill themselves and will be good to go on Sunday.

Injuries happen, with or without Sigerson games. The bulk of Kerry injuries over the years have come as a result of the 6 week layoff after the Munster Final without a match.

Instead of playing 2 Kerry matches and having 2 training sessions, lads have 3 matches.

As a player I'd have preferred that to be honest and if the stats come back good then i'm happy that the lads are playing.

Ah would you stop. You or anyone else buying this "we monitored them with GPS units" stuff is deluding themselves.

I had no problem with 2 UCD lads playing in Castlebar as they hadn't played that week BUT now you are looking at Barry Dan and Jack Barry having 4 games in 12 days. Do you think that's ok for anyone, let alone younger players to have at this time of the year? Or any time of year?

Forget the bluffing with GPS stats. Think of the muscle wear and tear, the mental strain of return trips to Killarney, Castlebar from Dublin, the fact they will no doubt have niggles and knocks they will just play through etc.

The fact is, there was no need to pick the 2 lads this Sunday as we have seen and will see plenty of them in near future. This is just stupidity.
    As was playing Clifford and O'Shea in Castlebar for their 3rd serious game in 7 days - especially Clifford who had a long trip to Belfast in the middle of it.
    They both got injured then and Fitzmaurice throws out some bullsh*t about "oh any player could get injured" - Yes they could Eamonn but you massively increased the chances of those lads getting injured when it was quite obvious there would be plenty time to see Clifford when Tralee got knocked out for example.

I can't believe people will defend or fob off stuff like this and let it happen again and again.

For the record, this is the 3 week schedule Jack Barry and Barry Dan are facing with game venues in brackets:

Tuesday Jan 23rd – Sigerson Rd 1 v Maynooth. (Maynooth)
    Sunday Jan 28th – NFL v Donegal. (Killarney)
    Saturday Feb 3rd – NFL v Mayo. (Castlebar)
    Wednesday Feb 7th – Sigerson ¼ final v DCU. (DCU)
    Sunday Feb 11th – NFL v Monaghan. (Inniskeen)
    Wednesday Feb 14th – Sigerson Semi v UUJ. (Inniskeen)

Plus possibly - Saturday Feb 17th - Sigerson Final (DCU)

The rest of the players will face a similarly gruelling schedule of training.

Except instead of travelling from Dublin to Killarney midweek for training the lads had to go to Glasnevin which im sure suited them fine.

One of the affected players is loving the run of games (talked to him 2 nights ago). I'm sure the lads know their bodies well enough not to put it in harm.

I respect your point of view but I totally disagree on the GPS units. They give extremely accurate readings which professional sports scientists are analyzing.

I trust the professional judgement of the players and coaching staff.

Plenty of other things to beat them with, but not this for me.

The rest of the players will face a similarly gruelling schedule of training.

Except instead of travelling from Dublin to Killarney midweek for training the lads had to go to Glasnevin which im sure suited them fine.

One of the affected players is loving the run of games (talked to him 2 nights ago). I'm sure the lads know their bodies well enough not to put it in harm.

I respect your point of view but I totally disagree on the GPS units. They give extremely accurate readings which professional sports scientists are analyzing.

I trust the professional judgement of the players and coaching staff.

Plenty of other things to beat them with, but not this for me.

I think most of the management are pretty bloody far from professional with all due respect.

Of course players love games and never say no to a manager, but players don't know what's best for them all the time.

You make no comment on the 3 injuries we've had already I notice?

I'll say no more on the matter for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The workload placed on the lads in the last few weeks will inevitable lead to injuries- all historical medical evidence would show this.

Even if a player is going fine in training- the selectors should err on the side of caution this time of the year- noone should be asked to play 3 games in 6/7 days.

Like all jokes aside- I want to see the young lads play but was shocked that there werent changes prior to throw in last Saturday- especially Clifford and Sean O

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Lads just to let you know there is a pitch inspection tomorrow morning at 9am to see if Kerry v Monaghan goes ahead.
    They will post up ther result of inspection fairly quick on that page.
    Would be a wasted journey for ye if called off. Could be worth one of ye posting it on the Kerry GAA forum as i don’t have an account there.

You make no comment on the 3 injuries we've had already I notice?

Fair enough on that point to be fair. Injuries happen regardless ofbSigerson action though

We have differing opinions. I can definitely see your side but i'd support our coaching and S&C staff to make the right calls in the end.

Ar the end of the day we all want the best for Kerry regardless of how we get there.

• Advertisement

Pitch Inspection at 9am.

Pitch is playable, small covering of snow.

Final inspection at 11am but as of now the game goes ahead.

Advertisement