Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violence please

• 20-09-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭

Is it acceptable to ever punch or strike someone who wasn't physically threatening you or someone else?

The reason I ask is because there are debates online regarding the Antifa at the moment. There is footage of a Nazi at a protest and a bloke approaches him. As he has his arm extended in the salute and the other guy punches him.

Some argue that it takes away the moral high ground of those opposed to Nazis. Some argue the Nazi guy is so repulsive he deserves what he got and to say otherwise you are a Nazi sympathizer.

On a lighter note, I saw a gif of a woman openly píssing in the street in the daytime amongst a crowd and an old man is so overcome with disgust he boots her up the hole (quite funny).

Anyhoo - I think they shouldn't be hit as it gives the "alt right" and excuse to criminalise anyone opposing them.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well if some twat tries to intimidate me he'll get a punch, if no problem doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ever punch or strike someone who wasn't physically threatening you or someone else?

The reason I ask is because there are debates online regarding the Antifa at the moment. There is footage of a Nazi at a protest and a bloke approaches him. As he has his arm extended in the salute and the other guy punches him.

Some argue that it takes away the moral high ground of those opposed to Nazis. Some argue the Nazi guy is so repulsive he deserves what he got and to say otherwise you are a Nazi sympathizer.

On a lighter note, I saw a gif of a woman openly píssing in the street in the daytime amongst a crowd and an old man is so overcome with disgust he boots her up the hole (quite funny).

Anyhoo - I think they shouldn't be hit as it gives the "alt right" and excuse to criminalise anyone opposing them.

What do ye think?

Fanny kick. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Antifa are on some kind of terrorists list now. They're scummy, dress it up how you like and pretend they're fighting scum all you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

jamesbere wrote: »
    Well if some twat tries to intimidate me he'll get a punch, if no problem doing it

So that salute would intimidate you? ( just asking)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Fanny kick. Ouch.

It was more up the hole. He shot from behind - it was more a "get up the yard"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Its not really OK to punch somebody when you're not defending yourself.
    Its OK to punch a nazi.

I'm torn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

endacl wrote: »
    Its not really OK to punch somebody when you're not defending yourself.
    Its OK to punch a nazi.

I'm torn...

In that case punch first, then apologise and pretend you didn't mean to do it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Best way to destroy cancerous ideologies such as Fascism or Communism is not through violence, but by ridiculing them and lampooning them for the utter ****, mendacious ideologies that they are.

The BNP in the UK were not crippled by "Bashing the Fash", but by Nick Griffin being destroyed on Newsnight.

Best way to destroy cancerous ideologies such as Fascism or Communism is not through violence, but by ridiculing them and lampooning them for the utter ****, mendacious ideologies that they are.

The BNP in the UK were not crippled by "Bashing the Fash", but by Nick Griffin being destroyed on Newsnight.

Antifa don't mind Communism though do they. I'd say they quite like it.
    And it's a much bigger threat than fascism is these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/16/need-museum-communism-else-risk-repeating-terrors/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It was more up the hole. He shot from behind - it was more a "get up the yard"

Would she not have pissed on him then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I dunno, it depends...

Some people just have that head on them that just looks like they could do with a good punch in the face! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Veering closely towards facekicker territory here...

I think you'll find an unprovoked punch in the face will be classed as assault legally, regardless of who you aim it at.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Fanny kick. Ouch.

I prefer kunt punt myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Nazi is a pretty broad term. I think it's fair game to punch a Nazi from World War II, what with the war crimes and all, but I wouldn't punch some skinhead bloke who does that one-arm salute. It's a bit senseless and, really, you'd be punching him for his beliefs, no matter how misguided, ignorant or repulsive, which is wrong so leave him be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Oh, oh! I actually know the answer to this one. You oughtn't punch the Nazi just for being a Nazi. That's uncalled for, and could get you in trouble.

You should quietly key his car. That is the correct level of response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So that salute would intimidate you? ( just asking)

It's a pretty despicable salute, I could understand a jewish person throwing a few punches alright, but I wouldnt be for it myself. Although in the countries I spend most of my time now it's actually illegal to do it, so you could try to frame it as a citizens arrest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

The majority of the stuff is coming from the united states. Its a hyper violent country on a good day, but there are dividing lines being drawn all across it, left, right, nationalism, liberalism, conservatism, libertarianism, black, white, police, north, south, coast, midlands, city, rural...

Its been building for years now and only just the last year has it started to show its face.

The next election they have over there is going to be a bloodbath.

Its not okay to assault someone because of your feelings, but just watch it become more and more of a trend over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

My technique is as follows:

Power slam
    Big boot
    Atomic leg drop.

Followed by celebrating with Old Glory in the centre of the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Anyone wearing a Bandana over their face or a balaclava during a protest deserves a beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Depends really.

Not right to punch someone for having sick beliefs.
    But then if they believe in or advocate violence against other people then yeah, knock em out.

Like if I believed everyone from Dublin deserved to die and I was going around encouraging violence towards them and celebrating when other people were beating up dubs, then surely I'd deserve and expect a swift kick to the bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

This is the best way to deal with them

stunner2.gif

Nabber wrote: »
    Anyone wearing a Bandana over their face or a balaclava during a protest deserves a beating.

Antifa do all of that..which you probably knew..?

Your Face wrote: »
    My technique is as follows:

Power slam
    Big boot
    Atomic leg drop.

Followed by celebrating with Old Glory in the centre of the ring.

Whatcha gonna do when YourFaceamania and the largest arms in the world run wild on you Brother??

It depends on the protest and the country.. I am not sure I want to end up on a police database for attending a legitimate, peaceful protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

What do ye think?

Only slap-a-bap is acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Antifa are on some kind of terrorists list now. They're scummy, dress it up how you like and pretend they're fighting scum all you like.

Neo Nazi's aren't scum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

That Antifa crowd can't smell what the Rock is cooking, that's what the real problem is.

• Advertisement

Whatcha gonna do when YourFaceamania and the largest arms in the world run wild on you Brother??

:pac:

misc-Hulk%20Hogan%20Headbutt%20Flag.gif

As soon as the Antifa started smashing windows fox news was all over it.

I can understand why there can be a violent reaction to seeing neo-nazis on the streets again but it gives DT liberty in his eyes to say that there "were bad people on both sides". Granted the left dont give 2 ****s what he says but they might say they had no option... either you stand by and do nothing and history repeats itself or else you take the fight to them

As soon as the Antifa started smashing windows fox news was all over it.

I can understand why there can be a violent reaction to seeing neo-nazis on the streets again but it gives DT liberty in his eyes to say that there "were bad people on both sides". Granted the left dont give 2 ****s what he says but they might say they had no option... either you stand by and do nothing and history repeats itself or else you take the fight to them

To who? People who profess a desire to kill Jews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If someone is actively trying to start a genocide and bring back concentration camps, I think it's OK to punch them.

To who? People who profess a desire to kill Jews?

Neo Nazi's and white supremacists. Feel free to correct me.

Neo Nazi's and white supremacists. Feel free to correct me.

No you're right, there's the Islamists too though. Islamofacists is a fitting name. I was going to say ''they don't make their intent known in mass public gatherings so it'd be harder to 'take it to them' '' but I understand there have been some kind of street rallies.

I hope I don't need to make the distinction between Islamists and Muslims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

No, its not ok to attack, unless its for self defense.

Now, if someone shows up looking for a fight and is threatening to exterminate you and your entire family, and anyone else who shares a recent common ancestry with you (or even if your not part of the group targetted), then I think a case for self defense could be made, and by that I think its a valid case of self defense.

Also, it should be noted white supremacists are actively engaged in terrorism. Here are 2 examples:

Hitler speech found in home of US man accused of killing two black men

German police investigating ‘neo-Nazi terror plot’ after bomb branded with swastika discovered

They tend to get a free pass, by the right for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Maybe the later incarnations like the BNP but going further back to the likes of the ultra violent British Movement. They only disappeared due to the beatings dished out when they crawled out from under their rocks

No you're right, there's the Islamists too though. Islamofacists is a fitting name. I was going to say ''they don't make their intent known in mass public gatherings so it'd be harder to 'take it to them' '' but I understand there have been some kind of street rallies.

What are you even on about.

What are you even on about.

The people who want to kill Jews. Rude person.

The people who want to kill Jews. Rude person.

Me rude lol.again what was any of that to do with neo Nazi's and white supremacists?.

No need for more whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Communism killed more people than fascism, so is it okay to punch communists too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This is how its dealt with:

1EORQz1

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Communism killed more people than fascism, so is it okay to punch communists too?

That is debatable, as you could argue all deaths from World War 2, is the fault of fascism.

Secondly, the main reason for that, is that the communists helped many of our grand or great grand parents, destroy fascism, before they could wipe out everyone who wasn't white (which fyi included Irish people to them) and anyone who dared oppose them.

There being bombed right now, by several countries. I would be happy to see the same courtesy extended to white supremacist fascists personally. If its good enough for ISIS, then its good enough for a Nazi.

Of course, I would request that we don't bomb people who just so happen to be standing beside a facist in a shop, like is done right now in the Middle East.

wes wrote: »
    There being bombed right now, by several countries. I would be happy to see the same courtesy extended to white supremacist fascists personally. If its good enough for ISIS, then its good enough for a Nazi.

The ones in Europe,the UK and America aren't being bombed. They do exist in those places. Do you mean you'd like the American neo nazis to be bombed?

The ones in Europe,the UK and America aren't being bombed. They do exist in those places.

There being arrested and there groups are banned. Be nice to see the same happen to the white supremacist varient.
    Do you mean you'd like the American neo nazis to be bombed?

At the very least arrest them, and you know call it terrorism, and not talk about how there nice clean shaven men, and take them to burger king. I was engaged in hyperbole, with the whole bomb them (should have made that clear).

There being arrested and there groups are banned. Be nice to see the same happen to the white supremacist varient.

At the very least arrest them, and you know call it terrorism, and not talk about how there nice clean shaven men, and take them to burger king. I was engaged in hyperbole, with the whole bomb them (should have made that clear).

Good. I'm not sure that they generally are but hope you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That is debatable, as you could argue all deaths from World War 2, is the fault of fascism.

Secondly, the main reason for that, is that the communists helped many of our grand or great grand parents, destroy fascism, before they could wipe out everyone who wasn't white (which fyi included Irish people to them) and anyone who dared oppose them.

Well it was Russians the Russians were killing, then Ukrainians. The Chinese, Cuban and Korean communists all follow the same pattern of killing their own people too. It just what happens under communism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Now, if someone shows up looking for a fight and is threatening to exterminate you and your entire family, and anyone else who shares a recent common ancestry with you

then you have left it too late to fight them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You cant just physically assault people because of what theyre saying, no matter how bad it is. The antifa person deserves any repercussions that might accompany assaulting somebody.

• Advertisement
Advertisement