Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violence please

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ever punch or strike someone who wasn't physically threatening you or someone else?

The reason I ask is because there are debates online regarding the Antifa at the moment. There is footage of a Nazi at a protest and a bloke approaches him. As he has his arm extended in the salute and the other guy punches him.

Some argue that it takes away the moral high ground of those opposed to Nazis. Some argue the Nazi guy is so repulsive he deserves what he got and to say otherwise you are a Nazi sympathizer.

On a lighter note, I saw a gif of a woman openly píssing in the street in the daytime amongst a crowd and an old man is so overcome with disgust he boots her up the hole (quite funny).

Anyhoo - I think they shouldn't be hit as it gives the "alt right" and excuse to criminalise anyone opposing them.

What do ye think?

Wouldn't do it myself.

I watched a programme a while back called One Punch Kill where lads hit someone first and it resulted in the other persons death.

Now I'm sure someone will say a dead neo nazi would be no great loss but the guy wasn't threatening anybody and for the average person having to live with the fact they killed a person is a big thing to have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Communism killed more people than fascism, so is it okay to punch communists too?

Communists dont believe in genocide, racism or ethnic clensing as ideals.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well it was Russians the Russians were killing, then Ukrainians. The Chinese, Cuban and Korean communists all follow the same pattern of killing their own people too. It just what happens under communism.

No fan of communism, but I don't see communists engaged in terror attacks or making any kind of political progress. Why should I worry about people who are for all intents and purposes irrelevant, outside of North Korea, China and Cuba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

somefeen wrote: »
    Like if I believed everyone from Dublin deserved to die and I was going around encouraging violence towards them and celebrating when other people were beating up dubs, then surely I'd deserve and expect a swift kick to the bollocks.

Hill 16 on All Ireland Final Day is the time to test that theory out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ever punch or strike someone who wasn't physically threatening you or someone else?

The reason I ask is because there are debates online regarding the Antifa at the moment. There is footage of a Nazi at a protest and a bloke approaches him. As he has his arm extended in the salute and the other guy punches him.

Some argue that it takes away the moral high ground of those opposed to Nazis. Some argue the Nazi guy is so repulsive he deserves what he got and to say otherwise you are a Nazi sympathizer.

On a lighter note, I saw a gif of a woman openly píssing in the street in the daytime amongst a crowd and an old man is so overcome with disgust he boots her up the hole (quite funny).

Anyhoo - I think they shouldn't be hit as it gives the "alt right" and excuse to criminalise anyone opposing them.

What do ye think?

I'm not defending the video at all, but if its the same one, the Nazi lad wasn't raising his arm in a salute at all, he looked to be saying something and raised his hands in a non verbal "hold on a minute" way, Its essentially the type of thing you see before you hear "World Star" being yelled on the video.

In that case, no he didn't deserve a) a punch and b) a sucker punch. The other guys is equally a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The eegit in that video had it coming, but I wish people wouldn't do these things as it helps these Nazi-types martyr themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

wes wrote: »
    No fan of communism, but I don't see communists engaged in terror attacks or making any kind of political progress. Why should I worry about people who are for all intents and purposes irrelevant, outside of North Korea, China and Cuba?

Look at what's happening now in Venezuela.

Look at what's happening now in Venezuela.

Yeah, a tinpot dictator at it again. The situation in Venezuela is awful, but I don't see them operating outside there own country in any meaningful way.

They also don't want me dead or billions of other people wiped from the face of the earth. This kind of argument doesn't really work if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm a bit conflicted after watching that video.
    Generally I'd be on the 'use your words like a grown-up' side of the fence and very wary of the rather loose definition of 'nazi' that the likes of Antifa apply (which seems to include everybody to the right of Karl Marx), but that eejit would appear to have gone out of his way to provoke exactly the response he got including verbally abusing individuals, and while antifas definition of a 'nazi' is quite loose, the dude would appear to be very clearly identifying as a very literal nazi so...
    I suppose on ballance he probably shouldn't have been hit, but I can't seem to raise an iota of sympathy or interest in the fact that he was TBH.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a tinpot dictator at it again. The situation in Venezuela is awful, but I don't see them operating outside there own country in any meaningful way.

They also don't want me dead or billions of other people wiped from the face of the earth. This kind of argument doesn't really work if you ask me.

It's the usual pattern of communism though. They kill people that don't agree with them either directly, through neglect or incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's not polite to punch people that you don't know.

It's the usual pattern of communism though. They kill people that don't agree with them either directly, through neglect or incompetence.

Again, no fan of them, but I don't see there relevance in regards to fascism, or the point I made. I don't even disagree that communism was bad, I just don't see any relevance to what is being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Communism killed more people than fascism, so is it okay to punch communists too?

If those communists are trying to bring about a ‘racially pure’ ethno-state and if they’re marching waving racist flags and talking about bringing back concentration camps, yep, it’s okay to punch them too.

As for Venezuela, you should definitely punch Maduro if the chance ever arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Not so overtly anti jew as the self professed neo nazis, but Red Ken (Livingstone) and his ilk would benefit from a little slap. With a wet fish, perhaps.

Not so overtly anti jew as the self professed neo nazis, but Red Ken (Livingstone) and his ilk would benefit from a little slap. With a wet fish, perhaps.

Ken Livingston deserves a slap for Ernold Same alone, Damon Albarn too come to think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Interesting article a 25 year old went undercover into the world of the alt right. Seems they are keen on start up the death camps again.

https://nyti.ms/2yb9bDm

Another aim is to normalise far right hate speech under the guise of freedom of speech.

In Britain, Mr. Hermansson attended a private dinner of extremists where Greg Johnson, a reclusive leading American far-right figure who is editor in chief of Counter-Currents Publishing, explained the need to “mainstream this stuff — or, more precisely, we need to bring the mainstream towards us.”

They deserve more than a punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

thread title sounds like a low budget film/book in the style of 50 shades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

I think there's a few people on this thread who have watched too many Hollywood inspired nazi films, basically brainwashed and guilt ridden for the past 60 years
    Every couple of years more or less its been a conveyor belt of " hey don't forget what the nazis did"
    And its the same with Hollywood banging out movies about slavery and the ill treatment blacks got in America lately,some more white guilt for ya,
    How are people supposed to move on and create a better future for everyone if these groups keep picking at the scabs and ryell people up all the time,

At best they are just cashing in on peoples misery.
    At worst they are trying to cause divide and unrest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

We all have a breaking point, not only that but it varies as to how close we are to it by what has preceded it, so some days there's very little that could provoke me to violence. Other days, given the right circumstances I'm not even sure what my limits would be.....which is quite frightening really as I consider myself to be a pretty reasonable person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That is debatable, as you could argue all deaths from World War 2, is the fault of fascism.

Secondly, the main reason for that, is that the communists helped many of our grand or great grand parents, destroy fascism, before they could wipe out everyone who wasn't white (which fyi included Irish people to them) and anyone who dared oppose them.

The deaths of the Kulaks and the enforced starvation of the Ukrainians are close to 30+ millions. And that was before WW2.

Plus Communists in China were responsible for the deaths of 50 million+.

So yeah, Bash the Fash. But Smack a Commie as well while you are at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yes, but Labour have sold their souls and any morality they had to get the Muslim vote as there are "only" 200,000+ Jews in the UK and a couple of million Muslims.

Yes, but Labour have sold their souls and any morality they had to get the Muslim vote as there are "only" 200,000+ Jews in the UK and a couple of million Muslims.

Well they have gender segregated meetings. Israel is a hot topic for Labour. This is one of many from the Labour Party forum:https://scontent.fdub4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21616367_10156280732660476_9209316389117275040_n.jpg?oh=65f2ff774bd4e0e777e04abbda745db9&oe=5A494E0C

Shami got a peerage after her whitewash of Labour antisemitism. Not a nice atmosphere there for Jews, lots have bailed out of Labour.

Again, no fan of them, but I don't see there relevance in regards to fascism, or the point I made. I don't even disagree that communism was bad, I just don't see any relevance to what is being said.

My point is that they are just as bad as each other. I don't see why one gets a pass.

My point is that they are just as bad as each other. I don't see why one gets a pass.

Neo Nazis are very open about their beliefs/intentions. Communists gloss theirs over to make them palatable and to make it possible for them to actually get to power. Communists are operating within the boundaries of society, just about. Although that's only because society is very ignorant or very permissive about that kind of ideology.

E.G, elements of Labour UK skate close to Communism and a Labour politician can publicly suggest deporting Jews to a new place where they would all be..concentrated ..together. And there were no real consequences for the politician, she even had plenty of support and colleagues and party supporters justifying her idea. She's just a bit more polished than a loud skinhead with his fist in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

If you think its OK to punch someone you disagree with don't be surprised when they punch you back or if someone else punches you when they disagree with you.

Neo Nazis are very open about their beliefs/intentions. Communists gloss theirs over to make them palatable and to make it possible for them to actually get to power. Communists are operating within the boundaries of society, just about. Although that's only because society is very ignorant or very permissive about that kind of ideology.

E.G, elements of Labour UK skate close to Communism and a Labour politician can publicly suggest deporting Jews to a new place where they would all be..concentrated ..together. And there were no real consequences for the politician, she even had plenty of support and colleagues and party supporters justifying her idea. She's just a bit more polished than a loud skinhead with his fist in the air.

I have to admit I never would have imagined the left would turn anti Jew, tell women to dress conservatively, not engage in promiscuous sex and cover up sexual abuse as it interferes with their agenda.

But Smack a Commie as well while you are at it.

They aren't marching in the streets, or enjoying an up swing in support, but if some do show up, and are talking about killing a bunch of people, then in full agreement, but until that happens, I don't see much point in worrying about them.

They aren't marching in the streets, or enjoying an up swing in support, but if some do show up, and are talking about killing a bunch of people, then in full agreement, but until that happens, I don't see much point in worrying about them.

Isn't that what Antifa are?

backspin. wrote: »
    If you think its OK to punch someone you disagree with don't be surprised when they punch you back or if someone else punches you when they disagree with you.

Well when the people in question are talking about forcibly removing all non-white people from a country and introducing concentration camps, I think they're already in a place where they're ready and willing to commit violence.

Isn't that what Antifa are?

A loosely connected group, that have varying ideologies, that only show up to oppose fascists and I would think that most people are Anti Fascist as a rule.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As a man said, in the states the right are less fractious, more unified and have all the guns.

A loosely connected group, that have varying ideologies, that only show up to oppose fascists and I would think that most people are Anti Fascist as a rule.....

Well they turn up to all kinds of protests and seem to beat up anybody as there are not that many fascists around. They considered Trump supporters fascists and that's half of America.

Advertisement