Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Football All Stars

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Re all stars, I can see them moving McCarthy to halfback, which is where he played well in the final, and putting both Cavanagh and parsons to mf.

Personally, I think Cavanagh doesn't deserve one and is benefitting from the quotas mentality. It could be argued that his only test this year was against Dublin, and his most memorable moment was going in with his studs up.

And I would say that Cavanagh was in fact pretty much the only Tyrone player to actually turn up for that game, he did as well as he possibly could considering how poor his teammates were. Thats added to a lot of good games previous to the semi-final, which should be worth something considering a lot of the players being mooted didn't have good seasons at all, they just had good finishes to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Im not though. I agree with the sunday game team of the year, bar cluxton. The stats back up my belief. That isn't being a fanboy.

And a lot of people disagree with that.
    I wonder do you always agree with the Sunday Games opinions, as very few do, or are you just agreeing with this one as it suits you?

Do you think AOS bottled it completely in the final- as per Brolly?
    Do you think Dublin should be split?
    Do you think Gooch is a choker?
    Do you think Sean Cavanagh isnt a "proper" man?

The Sunday Game team is picked when the lads are high on the final and have been thinking about nothing only the 2 teams in it for a few weeks- the proper All Star team is then picked when people make a rational analysis of the year as a whole.

On this grounds- I wouldnt give one to Higgins, AOS or McLoughlin- with the latter being the hardest done by as he had a good season.

And if you remove Cluxton as per your opinion then Mayo end up with 8 All Stars!
    Its already been outlined that they had a rocky season with several poor results in the championship - so they in no way deserve 8 All Stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

And I would say that Cavanagh was in fact pretty much the only Tyrone player to actually turn up for that game, he did as well as he possibly could considering how poor his teammates were. Thats added to a lot of good games previous to the semi-final, which should be worth something considering a lot of the players being mooted didn't have good seasons at all, they just had good finishes to the season.

He was, but it wasn't hard to be tyrone's best player that day. I just think both McCarthy and Parsons had better seasons, and that possibly shunting McCarthy to hb would be unfair, because many of the hb candidates had better seasons than him too. I don't doubt it might happen, but I don't think it is right.

And a lot of people disagree with that.
    I wonder do you always agree with the Sunday Games opinions, as very few do, or are you just agreeing with this one as it suits you?

Do you think AOS bottled it completely in the final- as per Brolly?
    Do you think Dublin should be split?
    Do you think Gooch is a choker?
    Do you think Sean Cavanagh isnt a "proper" man?

The Sunday Game team is picked when the lads are high on the final and have been thinking about nothing only the 2 teams in it for a few weeks- the proper All Star team is then picked when people make a rational analysis of the year as a whole.

On this grounds- I wouldnt give one to Higgins, AOS or McLoughlin- with the latter being the hardest done by as he had a good season.

So to agree more or less with their team, I have to agree with every word that has ever been uttered on the show? Ya that is fair analysis alright. :rolleyes:

As for being 'on a high', maybe you are now influenced by the media? Or your memory isn't as fresh? We can all throw those kind of baseless accusations around. Doesn't really prove much.

And if you remove Cluxton as per your opinion then Mayo end up with 8 All Stars!
    Its already been outlined that they had a rocky season with several poor results in the championship - so they in no way deserve 8 All Stars.

So? Why does it matter so much where they are from? If the individual deserves the award, they should get it. Like to suggest that despite being deserving of something, you cant get it because too many of your group are getting awards and it wouldn't look right, is very flawed. Would it fly in any other walk of life? If some ar*eh*le who is more concerned about how many each county gets rather than the right guys getting them is put out, frankly, so what?

He was, but it wasn't hard to be tyrone's best player that day. I just think both McCarthy and Parsons had better seasons, and that possibly shunting McCarthy to hb would be unfair, because many of the hb candidates had better seasons than him too. I don't doubt it might happen, but I don't think it is right.

So to agree more or less with their team, I have to agree with every word that has ever been uttered on the show? Ya that is fair analysis alright. :rolleyes:

As for being 'on a high', maybe you are now influenced by the media? Or your memory isn't as fresh? We can all throw those kind of baseless accusations around. Doesn't really prove much.

So? Why does it matter so much where they are from? If the individual deserves the award, they should get it. Like to suggest that despite being deserving of something, you cant get it because too many of your group are getting awards and it wouldn't look right, is very flawed. Would it fly in any other walk of life? If some ar*eh*le who is more concerned about how many each county gets rather than the right guys getting them is put out, frankly, so what?

I have already stated that several Mayo individuals dont deserve All Stars- so thats dealt with at a micro level.

I also think that a team who struggled throughout the year doesn't deserve as many as you seem to think- which is not too hard a concept to get your head around.

This is kind of getting pointless though now as you will just keep on disagreeing in the face of logic until people get sick of you- I've reached that stage.

So 8 All Stars for a team who didnt even win their province it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I have already stated that several Mayo individuals dont deserve All Stars- so thats dealt with at a micro level.

I also think that a team who struggled throughout the year doesn't deserve as many as you seem to think- which is not too hard a concept to get your head around.

This is kind of getting pointless though now as you will just keep on disagreeing in the face of logic until people get sick of you- I've reached that stage.

Well you stated it, and that was shown to be too much of a generalisation to be accurate. It was also shown that while what you are referencing is a factor, it is 100% not the only factor that should be considered. To any fair-minded person, that is very reasonable.

You are now restating it, which underlines the reality of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

I've never seen anyone care so much about the allstars for someone who claims it's "only the allstars".
    I just said Cluxton had a decent season, didn't even claimed he deserved the all star and was firmly corrected :(
    Allstars are awarded based on opinions only, there's no black and white way to determine the better players in each position. 
    Just chill out a little and show a little acceptance for other peoples opinions. Everyone who picks a dub ahead of a mayo player isn't your enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, you don't get it. It isn't the all-stars Im arguing against, it is fanboys who think that no other player can be better than their players, even when there is a serious bank of evidence to suggest otherwise. It is the lack of objectivity, and even honesty, that I am taking issue with.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/30869-why-clarke-just-edges-cluxton-in-all-star-battle

The numbers are there. He has had more big moments than cluxton, the two triple saves from this year come to mind, he has matched his kickout figures, while employing a more expansive and challenging kickout strategy, and he outperformed cluxton on kickouts in the final. Proven beyond all doubt, to any reasonable person, who had the better season. Point proven.

You are as blinkered as the opinion writer in the Mayo news. As you say, the numbers are there, and here they are:

Save Rate:

Cluxton - 67%
    Clarke - 56%

Kickout Success

Cluxton - 84%
    Clarke - 80%

Now, those are the figures, and no amount of waffle can argue with them.

About time for a bit of objectivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah but saves don't count unless they're one on one saves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blanch152 wrote:
    You are as blinkered as the opinion writer in the Mayo news. As you say, the numbers are there, and here they are:

You left out giving the ball away to the opposition in the last 5 minutes of the game

Clarke 3
    Cluxton 0

And having a meltdown when the final was in the balance

Clarke 1
    Cluxton 0

That's two more for Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'd have Cluxton ahead of Clarke and I'd hang him for kicking it out over the sideline with his last kick but why does the keeper get stick when the ball is won in midfield?

McCarthy beat the Mayo outfield players to the ball. They had every chance to compete. Very little to do with Clarke I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

A somewhat important point here. Mayo played 8 standard games, winning 2 (Sligo and Clare), losing 2, and drawing 4. They obviously converted the 4 draws into wins at the second attempts, which contributed to the huge story. Because of all these games though etc, someone like Tom Parsons who labored to start the year and played his way into the latter end of the season, is probably going to get in ahead of Colm Cavanagh who was consistently excellent while Tyrone were whipping everyone at the first attempt. Similar story with McLoughlin likely getting in ahead of Dean Rock. Tyrone and Dublin's efficiency is penalised somewhat

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    A somewhat important point here. Mayo played 8 standard games, winning 2 (Sligo and Clare), losing 2, and drawing 4. They obviously converted the 4 draws into wins at the second attempts, which contributed to the huge story. Because of all these games though etc, someone like Tom Parsons who labored to start the year and played his way into the latter end of the season, is probably going to get in ahead of Colm Cavanagh who was consistently excellent while Tyrone were whipping everyone at the first attempt. Similar story with McLoughlin likely getting in ahead of Dean Rock. Tyrone and Dublin's efficiency is penalised somewhat

Yeah I find it strange that Tyrone who whipped everyone in Ulster seem to be an afterthought here- and as a Kerryman they easily join Dublin amongst the teams I dislike!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

corny wrote: »
    I'd have Cluxton ahead of Clarke and I'd hang him for kicking it out over the sideline with his last kick but why does the keeper get stick when the ball is won in midfield?

McCarthy beat the Mayo outfield players to the ball. They had every chance to compete. Very little to do with Clarke I'd say.
    100% agree, I was equally mystified at the hard time Cluxton got about the first half of the final. Once you go to midfield with the kickouts a huge amount of responsibility must shift to the outfield players to win their individual arial battles. The Mayo midfield were excellent in the first half yet people would prefer to suggest Cluxton himself was "cleaned" out and the Dublin midfield were in no way found wanting. Baffling

That's an understandable and a joint dislike. As a Dub I'd still rather be beaten by Kerry than Tyrone though, a Kerry loss doesn't carry on for as long as a Tyrone one.

Tyrone had a bad day and Dublin had a good day imo. It happens every now and then when a deserved loss is compounded by form. Happened to Dublin in 2008.
    They still got to the semifinal. I honestly never had them ahead of Mayo this year, and I never had Kerry ahead of Mayo either. But Tyrone are a decent side IMO they had a bad day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah I find it strange that Tyrone who whipped everyone in Ulster seem to be an afterthought here- and as a Kerryman they easily join Dublin amongst the teams I dislike!

Tyrone are an afterthought because they got absolutely annihilated by Dublin are being hyped up as an AI contender, and because the second best team in Ulster (Donegal) got humiliated by the third best team in Connacht, which brings up huge questions as to what the level in Ulster really was this season.

Syferus wrote: »
    Tyrone are an afterthought because they got absolutely annihilated by Dublin are being hyped up as an AI contender, and because the second best team in Ulster (Donegal) got humiliated by the third best team in Connacht, which brings up huge questions as to what the level in Ulster really was this season.

They still won a title though and just had one bad day at the office against a very good team.

Like if you try to logic it in the manner that you are then explain the Galway v mayo, ros v Galway, mayo v ros, kerry v Galway and Kerry v mayo matrix of results!

Tyrone won a title and should get some recognition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They still won a title though and just had one bad day at the office against a very good team.

Like if you try to logic it in the manner that you are then explain the Galway v mayo, ros v Galway, mayo v ros, kerry v Galway and Kerry v mayo matrix of results!

Tyrone won a title and should get some recognition

They had more than just a bad day at the office, they were totally out of their depth, totally unprepared and totally out managed.

And as others have said it points to the poor standard of the Ulster championship.

But that's the problem with the All Stars. Tyrone get one because they got that far, and the one who gets it is the old stalworth who is retiring.

There may have been other Tyrone players who played bigger roles in earlier games that will just get overlooked, just like lots of good performances from players from many counties will get overlooked.

Tyrone had one bad day out against an all time great team. For a comparison, Mayo had one of the easiest fixtures in Gaelic Football last year at home to a Derry side in disarray, who's own manager admitted they were unfit. And could only manage a draw. That doesn't stop either side from being a top 4 team, just an example that teams can simply have bad days out from time to time, and I don't think we can begrudge any side a bad day out against this Dublin team. Just look at what Dublin did to Mayo themselves in the league.

It is a bit of an anomaly that a Tyrone side that waltzed their way through everyone until meeting an onfire Dublin will get 1 All Star whereas Mayo will get 7 after 2 great replay wins, 2 losses and 4 draws. All stars have always been recency bias at play though, people only remembering Mayo's semi replay, good showing in the final and Tyrones collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

They had more than just a bad day at the office, they were totally out of their depth, totally unprepared and totally out managed.

And as others have said it points to the poor standard of the Ulster championship.

But that's the problem with the All Stars. Tyrone get one because they got that far, and the one who gets it is the old stalworth who is retiring.

There may have been other Tyrone players who played bigger roles in earlier games that will just get overlooked, just like lots of good performances from players from many counties will get overlooked.

To be fair it will not be 'Tyrone' who get the All Star, it will be the individual player.
    And it won't be the 'stalwart who is retiring.' It will be his younger who has been very consistent for Tyrone for a number of years now, and had a good year this year with some top performances.
    Only others from Tyrone who would be contenders, if it was a case of give one to Tyrone as they got to the semi-final, would be MCCann, Harte and Hampsey. Colm Cavanagh IMO tops all those this year in terms of effort, passion and performance, even when getting hammered by Dublin, he never stopped trying.

I think he deserves one regardless.

Stoner wrote: »
    That's an understandable and a joint dislike. As a Dub I'd still rather be beaten by Kerry than Tyrone though, a Kerry loss doesn't carry on for as long as a Tyrone one.

Tyrone had a bad day and Dublin had a good day imo. It happens every now and then when a deserved loss is compounded by form. Happened to Dublin in 2008.
    They still got to the semifinal. I honestly never had them ahead of Mayo this year, and I never had Kerry ahead of Mayo either. But Tyrone are a decent side IMO they had a bad day out

I agree with this. We did have a bad day.
    But I will always wonder if we had played better or at our best, would we still have even stayed with the Dubs.
    I imagine they would have had another gear. Alas we will never know.

I do believe if we played again 10 times, we could possibly turn them over once or twice maybe. I don't think we are that bad a team as we showed last month. But Dublin were immense to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

JB81 wrote: »
    I agree with this. We did have a bad day.
    But I will always wonder if we had played better or at our best, would we still have even stayed with the Dubs.
    I imagine they would have had another gear. Alas we will never know.

I do believe if we played again 10 times, we could possibly turn them over once or twice maybe. I don't think we are that bad a team as we showed last month. But Dublin were immense to be fair

Agree with this, people are writing Tyrone off too much after that game (as much as i wish ye would just go away :))

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Agree with this, people are writing Tyrone off too much after that game (as much as i wish ye would just go away :))

In the last two seasons they have been talked up to the hilt and have done nothing.

Lost to Mayo last year, had a very very average league campaign after a good start and embarrassed themselves v Dublin, after beating up on teams from their own overrated province.

They have a lot to prove in 2018, otherwise writing them off will be well founded.

In the last two seasons they have been talked up to the hilt and have done nothing.

Lost to Mayo last year, had a very very average league campaign after a good start and embarrassed themselves v Dublin, after beating up on teams from their own overrated province.

They have a lot to prove in 2018, otherwise writing them off will be well founded.

So Dublin:
    Should have lost to Mayo last year as well.
    By their own high standards, had a very average league campaign.
    Also beating up on teams from their own province.........

This is not the best Tyrone team. They are being compared to their own pre-decessors, and to this current Dublin team. A bit un-fair. There is no shame in losing to this Dublin team. The only shame in my opinion was we didn't do ourselves any justice on the day.

Who talks them up, certainly not Tyrone supporters.

2 Ulster titles, got promoted to and stayed in division one ( one win away from making final ), i'll take that from a good bunch of players who will hopefully learn from the experience against Dublin and improve again next year just like they have been year on year...

So Dublin:

This is not the best Tyrone team. They are being compared to their own pre-decessors, and to this current Dublin team. A bit un-fair. There is no shame in losing to this Dublin team. The only shame in my opinion was we didn't do ourselves any justice on the day.

2 Ulster titles, got promoted to and stayed in division one ( one win away from making final ), i'll take that from a good bunch of players who will hopefully learn from the experience against Dublin and improve again next year just like they have been year on year...

The media talks them up.

On the way out of the Mayo v Kerry replay I heard them on Radio 1 proclaim that Tyrone were the only team, and had the only manager, that could beat Dublin.
    What a difference a day makes

They were one win away from a league final after 4 games, they lost their last 3.

Can you really say they improved in 2017 over 2016 ?

As I said they have a lot to prove in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So Dublin:

If Tyrone had lost an Ulster semi, and come through the back door ala Mayo, I reckon they would have given Dublin a better game than they did. They wouldn't have been as close as Mayo but would have been a lot closer than the semi.

I still believe that the next team to beat Dublin will either be a Kildare or Meath in Leinster catching them early, or a Mayo, Kerry or Tyrone team catching them in quarters having come through the qualifiers. Once you get to a semi-final or a final, Gavin will have them peaking, and experience and skill will do the rest.

The media talks them up.

On the way out of the Mayo v Kerry replay I heard them on Radio 1 proclaim that Tyrone were the only team, and had the only manager, that could beat Dublin.

They were one win away from a league final after 4 games, they lost their last 3.

Well no....

After four games they still had 3 to play so could not have been one away from the final.
    However if we had beat Kerry in Killarney we were in the final, so my point stands. Check your facts next time...

We in Tyrone know where we stand. A decent team. Best in Ulster. Probably number four in the country. We are not dellusional..

We did improve from 2016. Of course we did.

2016 - Struggled over the line in Ulster, lost All Ireland Quarter Final, Promoted from Division 2 in the league

2017 - Walked Ulster, lost in All Ireland semi-final, and one game from making Division one league final ( no matter how you look at it ). And that game could have been the Mayo game not only the Kerry game.

Well no....

After four games they still had 3 to play so could not have been one away from the final.
    However if we had beat Kerry in Killarney we were in the final, so my point stands. Check your facts next time...

We in Tyrone know where we stand. A decent team. Best in Ulster. Probably number four in the country. We are not dellusional..

We did improve from 2016. Of course we did.

2016 - Struggled over the line in Ulster, lost All Ireland Quarter Final, Promoted from Division 2 in the league

2017 - Walked Ulster, lost in All Ireland semi-final, and one game from making Division one league final ( no matter how you look at it ). And that game could have been the Mayo game not only the Kerry game.

Well had they beaten Donegal they would have had at least 9 and at the time 9 was also the max that Donegal and Kerrry (played the night before) could achieve, so a top two finish was well within their sights with that win.

They had three chances to get to the final and lost all three.

Winning trophies doesn't count any more?

Winning trophies doesn't count any more?

Ah come on, everyone knows that the level of ambition of Tyrone and the level of expectations goes way beyond Ulster titles.

• Advertisement

Ah come on, everyone knows that the level of ambition of Tyrone and the level of expectations goes way beyond Ulster titles.

From Tyrone people at the moment, Ambition yes.. Expectation at the moment no..

Well had they beaten Donegal they would have had at least 9 and at the time 9 was also the max that Donegal and Kerrry (played the night before) could achieve, so a top two finish was well within their sights with that win.

They had three chances to get to the final and lost all three.

But sure Monaghan and Mayo could both have reached double figures

I disagree completely, they might have a level of ambition but when it comes to expectation I would say very, very few people expected that Tyrone team to win the All-ireland ahead of Dublin.

Talked up to the hilt? Thats just rubbish, forget the hype train that comes with semi-finals, any assessment of Tyrone you might have heard all season prior to the semifinal would say that they are a developing team with a few weaknesses that would well be a serious outfit in the next few seasons. The sort of team that might do you over if a plan came together but is not really on the same level as a matured and multi-title winning Dublin.

And as such in the last two seasons they have done exactly as I would have expected, they have grown stronger in the league, won provincial titles and ran deep into the all-ireland series. You said they had done nothing but that isn't true, they have done as well as they probably could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

The media talks them up.

Oh come on, at that stage they were pretty much the only top tier team that hadn't been hammered out the gate at some recent point by Dublin. They also had a manager who is acknowledged as one of the greats, with previous form for knowing how to manage games like that and looked to be flying until they met Dublin.

Of course they were bigged up by some, who else could the media hype? A kerry team that had won the league by a single point against a Dublin team that looked like they had still to peak? A mayo team that had always seemed to come up just short? Even then you'll find plenty of pundits like Enda mcGinley who spoke in hope rather than optimism. Instead you've taken a sample of one to base your arguement on.

As for 2018, Tyrone are far from the only team with a lot to prove there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

tritium wrote: »
    Oh come on, at that stage they were pretty much the only top tier team that hadn't been hammered out the gate at some recent point by Dublin. They also had a manager who is acknowledged as one of the greats, with previous form for knowing how to manage games like that and looked to be flying until they met Dublin.

Of course they were bigged up by some, who else could the media hype? A kerry team that had won the league by a single point against a Dublin team that looked like they had still to peak? A mayo team that had always seemed to come up just short? Even then you'll find plenty of pundits like Enda mcGinley who spoke in hope rather than optimism. Instead you've taken a sample of one to base your arguement on.

As for 2018, Tyrone are far from the only team with a lot to prove there.

But they haven’t played Dublin in Championship in recent times, as far as I know. And yet were shuttled up by many as being the 2nd best team in the Championship. How many hammerings have Dublin administered to other top-tier teams in Championship. I presume top tier teams means Mayo, Kerry and Donegal and now Tyrone. I cannot recollect any. I could be wrong. Can’t count league, as teamsheets completely vary and don’t reflect championship status.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Oh come on, at that stage they were pretty much the only top tier team that hadn't been hammered out the gate at some recent point by Dublin.

Which of the top teams of the last number of years has this Dublin team hammered out the gate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dog_pig wrote: »
    Which of the top teams of the last number of years has this Dublin team hammered out the gate?

Lester Piggot, the greatest of all jockeys had expression "You win from the front."

He often won big races by a head or half a length.

I give you the Dubs!

I must have imagined so that they put 11 points on kerry in a league final or that they repeatedly have beaten kerry and mayo over the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I must have imagined so that they put 11 points on kerry in a league final or that they repeatedly have beaten kerry and mayo over the past few years

It's all a dream :)

So they haven’t “hammered” any of the top tier teams in championship in recent years.

So they haven’t “hammered†any of the top tier teams in championship in recent years.

Kerry by 7 in 2013 I guess, someone mentioned Donegal, that was a big win last year.

They haven't hammered Mayo, but they've given Tyrone, Kerry and Donegal decent beatings, but never in a final.

• Advertisement

No point clutching at straws, hoping that time dims the memory. Hammering? Dublin and Kerry game was level with couple of minutes left. And against donegal, they was only a point or 2 in it until the very end. Anyway, I’m beginning to sound like mayoaremagic in disguise. Dublin have consistently and brilliantly beaten all the top tier teams in recent years. That’s factual. But they haven’t dished out hammerings to any of them until Tyrone this year.
    I’ve kinda forgotten why I questionsd thIs hammerings post in the first place. Something to do with Tyrone hype. Anyway. Doesn’t matter. We’re desperately just filling in time until next club/league/championship game.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I must have imagined so that they put 11 points on kerry in a league final

Well I guess if you for some reason want to include league results then that would be relevant?
    that they repeatedly have beaten kerry and mayo over the past few years

What has that got to do with hammering teams out the gate?

Well I guess if you for some reason want to include league results then that would be relevant?

What has that got to do with hammering teams out the gate?

Given theres probably only one or two occasions a year when the top teams can meet and given it was the final of one of the top two football competions in the country why exactly wouldnt i include the league final? Did their opponents play their under 12s team? Claim mass food poisoning? Do you think they somehow threw the game to Dublin? Or will we get the same tired old ****e that they somehow didn't care about that one.

But they haven’t played Dublin in Championship in recent times, as far as I know. And yet were shuttled up by many as being the 2nd best team in the Championship.

Who exactly should've been 'shuttled' up as the second best team, prior to the semis? Mayo had beaten Tyrone by a single point in 2016 and had spent the season to that point getting beaten in Connacht and drawing in the qualifiers. Tyrone had hammered everyone they had met. There was a fairly clear hierarchy of Dubs on top with Kerry (league success, Cork victory) and Tyrone (hammering Ulster teams) looking like they might be fair contenders. You couldn't make a case for anyone else at that point. Anyone saying Tyrone were over hyped this year is taking liberties with hindsight

Advertisement