Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters: European Tour 2018 (Ireland included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gilmour wrote: »
    .... No pr1cks beside me (for once)....
    I seem to be sitting in the same row as the thirstiest punters with the weakest bladders.

....And loads of latecomers - they should be made wait until the intermission before taking their seats if they can't be there on time. It was worse than Croke Park.

That aside, it was very enjoyable. I don't go to many gigs. The last two were also RW, so I can't really compare it with other acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Last night it was 8.20 on stage. Finished just after 11 with a 20 minute break in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

We didn't get the big Battersea power station projection. Venue too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Amazing gig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Amazing gig last night. The sound quality was probably the best I've ever heard at a gig. The band and the musicianship on show was second to none and the light show was simply marvellous!! He is well worth every cent of the entrance fee!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Yes, it was an enjoyable gig.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Was just gonna ask that......shame, was fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 War ensemble

Fantastic gig. The sound was incredible. He puts his heart & soul into the performance. The standing ovation he received went on for a long time ! Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭iHungry

I'm going tonight. I can't wait to immerse myself in the audio/visual extravaganza. The sound in the Aviva concert was unreal.

Can someone tell us why my ears weren't ringing afterwards like every other concert I've been too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Waters uses quadrophonic (surround) sound at his concerts. Ive never seen anyone else using it.

Last night was my 6th Waters gig. I dont think it reached the heights of The Wall tour, but was still fantastic. Going again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep, shítty venue. How we don't have a 20k ish arena in the country is beyond me. Very Irish.

Great gig last night. Sound was incredible. No excuse for crap sound these days. Roger throws money behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

I have one ticket for tonight, Block H, going for 80 Euro, (cost 96), <Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Amazing show. The noise from the crowd at the end was incredible and Roger was quite humble - how he has mellowed in his old age!
    I could have done without Danny Boy but everything else was perfect.
    Anyone know what the "surprise ending" is, mentioned at the end of this review?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/roger-waters-s-impromptu-danny-boy-gets-a-deafening-response-in-dublin-1.3544992

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Meself wrote: »
    gilmour wrote: »
    Loved every single minute of that. No pr1cks beside me (for once), incredible sound and a wonderful setlist.

Danny Boy was definitely a surprise :D
    Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky. A couple behind would not shut up. 3 pissed up lads to my right..again would not stop. Thankfully they moved. Otherwise a superb gig.
    Excellent gig.
    I also had three drinking lads in the seats behind me who talked loud during songs... had to tell them to shut up, which the did but then probably drunkedly forgot about me 10 mins later and then started talking loud again.
    But on the positive side... a brilliant gig. I was three or four rows from the very top and the sound was still great up there. Thanks Roger for paying and insisting on great sound at your gigs. Highlights for me...many, but especially Pigs, Eclipse and One of these Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Journalists will write anything. Found that to be a very average. Going through the motions with pre-recorded video. Really don't get the hype. Autechre are playing the NCH in a couple of weeks. Maybe they will do an interpretation of Astronomy Domine.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

mgkelly wrote: »
    Never did happen!!

I pmed a mod about it, seems to be the only way things get done in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

So what was the start finish times last night?

I'm heading up to tonight's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

ArrBee wrote: »
    So what was the start finish times last night?

I'm heading up to tonight's show.

The big screen started at exactly 8.
    He came on at 8.20, took a 20 min break in the middle, and was off stage at around 11.
    One of the greatest shows I have ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Perfect, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I think you're in a very small minority there dasdog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

dasdog wrote: »
    Journalists will write anything. Found that to be a very average. Going through the motions with pre-recorded video. Really don't get the hype. Autechre are playing the NCH in a couple of weeks. Maybe they will do an interpretation of Astronomy Domine.

Will autechre not just press play on their laptops!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Great gig, maybe not as good as The Wall, but that's a pretty high bar.

Particularly enjoyed the songs from Animals and Brain Damge/Eclipse was fantastic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had a very stressful day yesterday. Website was hacked 28 hours ago and its still not back online. Also had a 30 minute argument over the phone with someone. My stress levels were through the roof.

Got to the gig & forgot my troubles for the few hours. That's the sign off really good performer and show. Light show was excellent. Can't fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Journalists will write anything.

Yup.

"Waters has used the latter skills to immensely successful effect in the years following the band’s bona fide final album (1994’s The Division Bell)"

tenor.gif

Fantastic gig. The sound was incredible. He puts his heart & soul into the performance. The standing ovation he received went on for a long time ! Well deserved.

I said that to a mate this morning... He gave it literally everything last night

Best of luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Enjoyed the gig last night but felt it didnt reach the heights of his previous shows. Roger himself gave it socks though. The scaling back of all the usual props was a bit disappointing, we only had the pig and a round ball. They never brought out the 30 foot tall monsters during Another Brick in the Wall which were always my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

It was a great gig. Unfortunately I was up in the gods so missed out on the quadrophonic sound but the sound was still fantastic, luckily I have standing tickets for tonight.

I was expecting the full stage show, wish I knew they wouldn't have it before buying the tickets. Probably would have gone to another city for the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

I think you're in a very small minority there dasdog!
    Ah yeah, wouldn't expect otherwise. It was fine, just a bit pedestrian. Maybe over politicised.
    Peter File wrote: »
    Will autechre not just press play on their laptops!!!
    And swirl a few filters. It doesn't really matter what the source is.

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Great gig, maybe not as good as The Wall, but that's a pretty high bar.

Particularly enjoyed the songs from Animals and Brain Damge/Eclipse was fantastic.

Absolutely - they were the highlight for me, having seen The Wall previously in all its glory.
    . Maybe over politicised.
    is.

Waters doesn’t do an impression of an angry old man- he’s always been an angry old man. There’s not too many of them left in the rock and roll world and when they’re gone, we’ll be left with the social media climbers grasping for media attention to keep their pitiful lives afloat.

In some respects I do agree with you- it was a bit OTT in parts- but I can’t get myself to criticize it as when Roger departs for good, he’ll be missed.

Advertisement