Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters: European Tour 2018 (Ireland included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wooderson wrote: »
    I was in the 3rd row middle at the Aviva. Reckon he mimed 1/5 of the gig.

Thats not a bad average for him to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Nal wrote: »

Yep. But if U2 did it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

He shouldn't be touring if he cant sing 95% of the concert and he certainly shouldn't be charging big money if he is miming.
    He is obviously not the biggest offender ,some artists mime or lip sync as they prefer to call it ,most of their concerts .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Zardoz wrote: »
    He shouldn't be touring if he cant sing 95% of the concert and he certainly shouldn't be charging big money if he is miming.
    He is obviously not the biggest offender ,some artists mime or lip sync as they prefer to call it ,most of their concerts .

In fairness to him (and any artist in their senior years) the human voice is not designed for singing for 70+ years. At least he is only miming the stuff his vocal chords just can no longer reach. To be honest I would actually prefer he did that rather than have to endure listening to a croaky voice that cant hit the right notes. After the 2011 gig in the Point I saw him at breakfast in the Westbury at 7am the next morning, he strikes me like a clean living sort of guy so I would say his voice is in better shape than many artists of his age. Have you heard Liam Gallagher sing lately? He is not yet 45 and his voice is totally gone from a lifetime of booze, fags and drugs. I dont think I would ever pay to see Liam again because his current voice is awful to listen to.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In fairness to him (and any artist in their senior years) the human voice is not designed for singing for 70+ years. At least he is only miming the stuff his vocal chords just can no longer reach. To be honest I would actually prefer he did that rather than have to endure listening to a croaky voice that cant hit the right notes. After the 2011 gig in the Point I saw him at breakfast in the Westbury at 7am the next morning, he strikes me like a clean living sort of guy so I would say his voice is in better shape than many artists of his age. Have you heard Liam Gallagher sing lately? He is not yet 45 and his voice is totally gone from a lifetime of booze, fags and drugs. I dont think I would ever pay to see Liam again because his current voice is awful to listen to.

Liam isn't charging 100 blips tho is he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

And there it is! 3Arena, June 26.

Splitting myself laughing at the airheads commenting on Facebook who seem to have thought a flying pig was a clue that it was going to be Garth Brooks :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Wooderson wrote: »
    Yep. But if U2 did it...

Theyve been doing it for nearly 30 years.

Theyve been doing it for nearly 30 years.

Nah, I’m fairness, Bono always sings fully live even when his voice is knackered.

jsms88 wrote: »
    Nah, I’m fairness, Bono always sings fully live even when his voice is knackered.

Theyve had backing tracks since the Unforgettable Fire tour.

• Advertisement

Theyve had backing tracks since the Unforgettable Fire tour.

Not for vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

3 Arena has been confirmed.

I see this has been covered :o

Not for vocals.

Vocals are "assisted in places". Also click tracks, teleprompters, loops, pre- recorded tracks and samples and additional musicians behind the stage. 100% not 4 blokes up there making that sound. Same for loads of bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Any prices announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nearlysenior

Hope the touts dont have a field day

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Any prices announced?

Can't see anything yet. Probably won't see anything on TBastard till Monday. Hope theres a presale. Really looking forward to the mid set Deja Vu, Last Refugee, Picture That Run. So rare to get good new stuff from these older lads.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hope the touts dont have a field day

Worried about this, tickets will be snapped up. I'm away next Thursday which doesn't help.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nearlysenior

Anything off The final cut on setlist?

Anything off The final cut on setlist?

Not currently. Songs from Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, Is This the Life.

Pigs and Dogs look like the standouts.

Vocals are "assisted in places". Also click tracks, teleprompters, loops, pre- recorded tracks and samples and additional musicians behind the stage. 100% not 4 blokes up there making that sound. Same for loads of bands.

Miming was the topic at hand. You seem to have interpreted that term extremely broadly. Teleprompters??? Really??? Using teleprompters does not constitute miming.

• Advertisement

Miming was the topic at hand. You seem to have interpreted that term extremely broadly. Teleprompters??? Really??? Using teleprompters does not constitute miming.

You've conveniently left out the other bits and just quoted teleprompters. :rolleyes:

U2 have backing vocal tracks. Not for Bonos main track granted but bits here and there. The "woo oo oo" at the start of Vertigo for example. Has he suddenly developed another set of vocal chords?! And they have Dallas playing guitar and Terry Lawless playing keyboards. Hence the stagnant setlists. Loads of stadium bands do it. Coldplay, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Rush, Muse, The Police, The Stones all have various bits of trickery.

Roger could barely sing as a young man in Pink Floyd so he doesn't really have a choice. If he goes for the high parts live he'll either completely miss them or knacker his voice. He voice sounds croaky when he speaks on tour as it is. Its not ideal granted but Pink Floyd has always been a bit of a "show" live.

Not for Bonos main track granted

Exactly. This is the only point I was making.

Bono doesnt mime Nal. FFS. You'd be on here with a bugler about it if he did.

Irony is that the Aussie PF a more authentic live performance than Rodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Worried about this, tickets will be snapped up. I'm away next Thursday which doesn't help.

I wouldnt worry as he has two days off after the Dublin gig and with no Belfast date its almost certain a second night for Dublin will be announced .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

was pumped about this gig earlier but not sure know tbh, the lip syncing/boring songs etc. The Show/Visuals and musicans will be top notch no doubt buts its 3 days after Billy Joel in the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re: "was pumped about this gig earlier but not sure know tbh, the lip syncing/boring songs etc. The Show/Visuals and musicans will be top notch no doubt buts its 3 days after Billy Joel in the Aviva".

This made me laugh.

Boring songs?
    Then you mention Billy Joel?!

Venue is a far better option than the RDS or *shudder* the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

poundhound wrote: »
    Re: "was pumped about this gig earlier but not sure know tbh, the lip syncing/boring songs etc. The Show/Visuals and musicans will be top notch no doubt buts its 3 days after Billy Joel in the Aviva".

This made me laugh.

Boring songs?
    Then you mention Billy Joel?!

didnt say Joel didnt have boring songs too, everyone to there own

• Advertisement

He'll do well to fit that screen into the Point.

Advertisement