Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has there been a worse brand switch in recent time than Hailo to MyTaxi?

• 21-09-2017 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Hailo was great. It worked, you clicked for a Taxi, they showed up, you got in and went about your day. Then they were bought out by Daimler who rebranded them as MyTaxi and it's been a mess.

Their app is broken, taxis cancel constantly, they seem to be losing drivers hand over fist and customer satisfaction is through the floor. Their facebook page is full of people unhappy with their service and now they announce today that anyone using their App has to pay a new service charge on top of everything else.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mytaxi-ireland-fare-increase-2-3607962-Sep2017/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Agreed also why the hell would you give up a fantastic name like Hailo over something as stupid as mytaxi?

Hailo had actually become a verb "im going to Hailo a taxi" thats brand presence you literally cannot buy having the name spread like that, effing morons deciding to get rid of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just looking at their new charge - it's going to be €6 before you even sit into a taxi with them now.

If Lynk were any use, they'd get out there and make a song and dance about the fact that they're not doing this. They've been pretty ineffective in their marketing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Completely agree. Hailo was a great service. Mytaxi is AWFUL. If it ain't broke ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

MyTaxi is a shambles, Hailo were bought by MyTaxi parent company Daimler, and they mandated the switch. It's far better using Uber in Dublin, even if just to see what cars are out on the street near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

?width=460&version=999877

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

In fairness the worst ever was when JIF became CIF no other brand change has caused as much confusion to us poor Paddy's than this imho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

grahambo wrote: »
    ?width=460&version=999877

Opal fruits became starburst?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Opal fruits became starburst?

Its good, but it's not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Crap service is right. I had stopped using it a while ago due to when needing one never seem to be available. Having said that I still miss marathon bar, Snickers can FRO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I must be getting old i never heard of either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Hailo was a great app. Seemed to suit the driver and the passenger. You'd get the odd voucher for a free trip as well. Now everyone seems to hate the new app. Drivers complaining of the percentage mytaxi are taking, increased fees on the passenger side, lack of available drivers at any time that isn't late night or early morning. Some accountants obviously came in and destroyed the business, as they always seem to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Do Lynk charge the €2 fee?

Man, did anyone hear those f*cking awful and obnoxious ads they put on the likes of Spotify?

The stereotypical bogger and D4-head.

Made me never ever want to use their services ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When Bounty became Plenty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    In fairness the worst ever was when JIF became CIF no other brand change has caused as much confusion to us poor Paddy's than this imho...

Way wrong my friend, when “Mammy” became “Mom” the last of our Irish culture died with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Man, did anyone hear those f*cking awful and obnoxious ads they put on the likes of Spotify?

The stereotypical bogger and D4-head.

Made me never ever want to use their services ever.

Are they the same ads they put on the likes of the "Radio"?

grahambo wrote: »
    Its good, but it's not right!

Moro changing to boost?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Are they the same ads they put on the likes of the "Radio"?

No idea. Don't listen to the radio, but probably. If it's the D4-head one and she spouts a lot of nonsense and sh1te, then probably.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Agreed also why the hell would you give up a fantastic name like Hailo over something as stupid as mytaxi?

Hailo had actually become a verb "im going to Hailo a taxi" thats brand presence you literally cannot buy having the name spread like that, effing morons deciding to get rid of it
    Agree. I work in a pub and the amount of times each night I'd hear 'sure don't go out and stand I'll just hailo one'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Opel Fruits to Starburst.

And that brief time when Coco Pops became Choco Krispies.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Opel Fruits to Starburst.

And that brief time when Coco Pops became Choco Krispies.

Who'd of thought law and order would break down in kelloggs

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Strange that this is happening a few days after the RTE mole released the info about staff using account taxi's for sport.

They will have to recoup that loss somehow.

Conspiracy Theory 101.

Plus, I was devastated when Bounty became Plenty. Opal fruits can live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Remember when Lucozade became Larazade at the time of the first Tomb Raider movie?

Good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I haven't had a single positive experience since they moved to MyTaxi. I would have "Hailo'd" a lot of taxis and thought it was one of the best apps every invented. I used it before a lot of people had ever heard of it and recommended it to all and sundry. I always added a tip to cover the commission they paid to Hailo.

I haven't used Mytaxi in ages.

A few of the issues I've had:

The main one that occurred regularly:
    - with Hailo it would show you a few taxis nearby and if the closest didn't take the job or didn't respond then it would go to the next person. With MyTaxi it only goes to the first driver. If they don't action the request you're left in limbo and if you close the app and try again it will still only go to them. Now you might think that if you wait a few minutes that another one will be closer. That doesn't work if there's a driver sitting in his house nearby logged into his app but off up in the shower!

- I Have had jobs cancel for no reason 2 minutes before they were due to show up.

- I've had two drivers show up, both of whom had my details on their app. They fought over me while I'm sitting in the back of the cab.

- I had one driver shout abuse at me because I was only taking a short trip. I gather by his anger that I was the final straw in his annoyance by this crappy appy.

The last time I wasn't able to get a cab with them was the last time I used the app. And I won't be using it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

When Jif became Cif

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

MyTaxi seems to be working fine for me in Cork, but I get the feeling I'm being buttered up with €10-€20 vouchers every week (not complaining) before they try the ol' €2 charge switcheroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Isn't the 'walnut whip' about to become the 'whip'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I haven't used MyTaxi yet cos I don't get taxis very often, but I loved Hailo. Was a bit put out by the switch cos my phone wouldn't support the MyTaxi app and when I enquired about backward compatibility they told me to buy a new phone.

If they're charging €6 to even hail a taxi now I'm going to delete the app and go back to phoning my local company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

kylith wrote: »
    I haven't used MyTaxi yet cos I don't get taxis very often, but I loved Hailo. Was a bit put out by the switch cos my phone wouldn't support the MyTaxi app and when I enquired about backward compatibility they told me to buy a new phone.

If they're charging €6 to even hail a taxi now I'm going to delete the app and go back to phoning my local company.

Make sure your local company isn't charging the €2 booking fee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I had a Mytaxi cancel on me at 12.30am for a 5am trip to the airport on Saturday.

Luckily I was still awake because I was stressed out about Ryanair cancelling my return flight :rolleyes:.

Haven't used them much since the switch to Hailo, but have had a couple of negative experiences.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Wonder is there an opportunity for someone to set up a Hailo 2 app that'll work properly like the first one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I deleted the app useless no taxis on it anymore.
    and the ones who are on it never accept the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

You'll all have to go back to the old reliable of having a bunch of taxi business cards in the wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah the searching for a taxi for ages and nothing comes is such a pain, thing is I have a rank near enough to where I live too. The map not updating in real time is annoying too.

I'm only taking limos from now on, getting around on four wheels is too common in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The world has gone to pot since the invention of smart phones and we as a community have become such a lazy bunch of f*ers

heaven forbid that instead of sitting there, ordering a taxi on your app, waiting inside till he arrives at your door, then walking to the end of the drive to get in, now you actually have to get off your ass and walk to the end of the street to try and flag one down as they go past. but what if you live at the back arse end of a big housing estate in the burbs, oh no, now you have to walk to the main road, maybe a km away, maybe more

all to save €2. what have we become!... we are heading back to the dark ages!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I would have thought Uber would be available in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Was only trying to add a new card to the app yesterday, but it just hung for ages. I ended up deleting the app and walking to where I was going, wasn't far and wasn't raining.

Shame, as Hailo was great.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The world has gone to pot since the invention of smart phones and we as a community have become such a lazy bunch of f*ers

heaven forbid that instead of sitting there, ordering a taxi on your app, waiting inside till he arrives at your door, then walking to the end of the drive to get in, now you actually have to get off your ass and walk to the end of the street to try and flag one down as they go past. but what if you live at the back arse end of a big housing estate in the burbs, oh no, now you have to walk to the main road, maybe a km away, maybe more

all to save €2. what have we become!... we are heading back to the dark ages!!!!

The €2 charge isn't the main problem. It's the fact the app doesn't work properly, and replaced an app that did work properly, that has people annoyed.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

You're talking absolute bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Wonder is there an opportunity for someone to set up a Hailo 2 app that'll work properly like the first one?

Just write the app. The quicker you get to market, the better. I think the original application went from concept to going live within 60 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What's Lynk like then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I've had mixed experiences with myTaxi. On the one hand, they've given out a few (well-timed, for me) vouchers. On the flip side, found it difficult to get a taxi in Cork, couldn't get one near Heuston on the night of the All Ireland despite a few taxis going past me (I had a voucher and I wanted to use it!), then got one which cancelled almost immediately.

For the most part I like these apps - very convenient, handy to keep an eye on driver's progress to pick up, and it's great that payment is just done without having to mess around with cash. Not sure if I'll be as tempted to use with the €2 booking fee about to be (re)introduced.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lol most ridiculous post of the day. The irony of the last line :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

VinLieger wrote: »
    Agreed also why the hell would you give up a fantastic name like Hailo over something as stupid as mytaxi
    Money? I thought MyTaxi bought Hailo rather than just Hailo rebranding?
    backspin. wrote: »
    Isn't the 'walnut whip' about to become the 'whip'.
    Hopefully. Walnuts are yuck!

If you use smartphone convenience apps yourself, can you really talk? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Years ago when we had just rte1 and two everyone knew,if you need help in a emergency dial 999 .. then we got the fancy foriegn channels and they changed it to 911 .. mayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I've only used it once, but I really appreciated the fact that you no longer have to have a card on file if you want to pre-book a taxi.

I'm a very infrequent taxi user (mostly just airport runs), so I suppose I'm nobody's ideal customer, but the ability to book without giving my card details is worth a considerable amount to me in cash terms. The only places I keep a card on file are with Amazon and Paypal— I've never felt comfortable letting any smaller companies keep my card info as they seem to have have leaks and breaches all the time. I would happily pay the extra €2 in cash occasionally to be able to just have the taxi show up at a designated place and time without handing over any personal payment details. I've never had a driver be unhappy to be paid in cash, either.

If drivers seem to be regularly cancelling fares, though, that's definitely a problem that will see customers leaving in droves, especially when coupled with the extra charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Crap service is right. I had stopped using it a while ago due to when needing one never seem to be available. Having said that I still miss marathon bar, Snickers can FRO

Too right and don't even start me on oil of fcuking Olay....it's ULAY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Anyone think this sounds strangely familiar to Paul Williams luddite rant from this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

When Leyland became Austin Rover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

When piles became haemmoroids, worst branding exercise ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement