Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has there been a worse brand switch in recent time than Hailo to MyTaxi?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've never used either brand but they moved too quickly introducing me the 2 euro. My taxi hasn't registered in a lot of people's minds yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Starburst and Snickers can fuck right off. They will always be Opal Fruits and Marathon respectively. Snickers is especially ridiculous, it sounds too much like knickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

faceman wrote: »
    Do Lynk charge the €2 fee?
    They can if they want, and they probably do.

What's most likely happened here is that drivers are dropping off the app because they're making better money elsewhere. The €2 is an optional charge that taxi drivers are entitled to charge if they're booked rather than picked up off the street.
    Generally the idea is that it would cover the cost of travelling to the pick-up and help with the commission payable to the booking office.

Hailo got drivers to waive this fee as part of the T's & C's, and in the early days they didn't mind because Hailo was the business when the economy was in the toilet.

Now that the economy is on the up, the drivers are losing out on a potential €2 per trip, which is not a small amount when you scale it out over weeks and months of driving. So they're going back to taxi companies or rejecting mytaxi fares that aren't just around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Eircom to eir is still the most ridiculous and unnecessary, not to mention expensive,one for me. The logo was awful and I don't remember it all very well but there were a few mix ups at the time that just made it all a mess. My mind is foggy on the details I just remember thinking it was a shambles.

Also their website is eir.ie rather than eir.com which I think would've been cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

When piles became haemmoroids, worst branding exercise ever.

That's a chocolate bar isn't it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jamesbere wrote: »
    That's a chocolate bar isn't it?

Yea but it tastes like sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

seamus wrote: »
    They can if they want, and they probably do.

What's most likely happened here is that drivers are dropping off the app because they're making better money elsewhere. The €2 is an optional charge that taxi drivers are entitled to charge if they're booked rather than picked up off the street.
    Generally the idea is that it would cover the cost of travelling to the pick-up and help with the commission payable to the booking office.

Hailo got drivers to waive this fee as part of the T's & C's, and in the early days they didn't mind because Hailo was the business when the economy was in the toilet.

Now that the economy is on the up, the drivers are losing out on a potential €2 per trip, which is not a small amount when you scale it out over weeks and months of driving. So they're going back to taxi companies or rejecting mytaxi fares that aren't just around the corner.

I would have happily paid the €2 fee to Hailo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

The €2 is an optional charge that taxi drivers are entitled to charge if they're booked rather than picked up off the street.

1wbg2z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Home Farm F.C. - Home Farm Everton - Home Farm Fingal - Dublin City F.C. - Bankruptcy F.C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So they're going back to taxi companies .

Well that is absolutely not happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

1wbg2z.jpg

And just how many drivers to you think will waive this "option"?

IMHO hailing using an app is similar to hailing on the street. The driver is either driving around the customers location or parked up close by waiting for work. This is evident from the advertised 2 minute response time.

So while I could agree with the €2 charge for prebooked jobs I think mytaxi and the NTA are taking the pi$$ when charging the €2 when a cab is hailed through the app.

I will be one of many who will revert to hailing form the road and mytaxi can FRO with this charge.

Also the reason taxi drivers are cancelling jobs having accepted them is that they have come across a person on the road flagging them, which will be a cash fare and no 12% going to mytaxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

And just how many drivers to you think will waive this "option"?

I mean, you even use the quotes!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's actually better for me compared to Hailo but it looks like I'm alone on that.

With Hailo I used to somtimes have a problem getting a taxi from my house, nobody would accept the job. Or they'd just randomly cancel. Haven't had that issue with myTaxi... yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

myTaxi - cancels early morning pre-books at random, I've had three in the last four months cancel though only one was without notice. The fares are randomly different, it seems that recent vouchers won as part of their lucky trips campaign result in a higher fare when applied to the wallet. Example, my route to the airport is the same trip over the m50 each and every time. Fare ranges from 44 to 54 euro. Guess which one used the voucher!

The response to queries is default; 'we'll send the driver on more training'. And now an optional extra 2 euro to trips. :( So, what are the options? Lynk/Uber or direct calling a company.

Lynk and Uber don't have the same presence although Lynk are more visible due to branding. Direct calling doesn't give me any confidence that a taxi is on the way when I'm anxious enough about traffic and getting through airport security, the marker on the companion application maps have been really helpful.

Bring back Hailo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tazium wrote: »
    myTaxi - cancels early morning pre-books at random, I've had three in the last four months cancel though only one was without notice. The fares are randomly different, it seems that recent vouchers won as part of their lucky trips campaign result in a higher fare when applied to the wallet. Example, my route to the airport is the same trip over the m50 each and every time. Fare ranges from 44 to 54 euro. Guess which one used the voucher!

The response to queries is default; 'we'll send the driver on more training'. And now an optional extra 2 euro to trips. :( So, what are the options? Lynk/Uber or direct calling a company.

Lynk and Uber don't have the same presence although Lynk are more visible due to branding. Direct calling doesn't give me any confidence that a taxi is on the way when I'm anxious enough about traffic and getting through airport security, the marker on the companion application maps have been really helpful.

Bring back Hailo

The price is from the meter, the driver doesn't know if you have a voucher or not even if they were trying to fiddle it. No conspiracy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Telecom Eireann to Eircom, fair enough...now it's called Eir.
    What next, calling it 'E'?

Lynk are a traditional taxi company with a call centre, not an app only company. they just have an app. as do most other traditional taxi companies

Try this app and see how yis get on, promotion running at the moment also

NRC Taxis Itunes App

NRC Taxis Play Store App

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lynk are much closer to something like Hailo than just a normal Taxi company. They also have a decent PR team and are keeping the €2 discount in a bit of a 'screw you' move towards MyTaxi.

https://twitter.com/LynkIreland/status/910902197701005312

VinLieger wrote: »
    Agreed also why the hell would you give up a fantastic name like Hailo over something as stupid as mytaxi?

I cant stop seeing it as XmyTaxi

Lynk are much closer to something like Hailo than just a normal Taxi company. They also have a decent PR team and are keeping the €2 discount in a bit of a 'screw you' move towards MyTaxi.

https://twitter.com/LynkIreland/status/910902197701005312

Lynk are City Cabs
    or 8 20 20 cabs
    or Global cabs
    or god knows what else

they have gone through more rebranding than any other company or product I have ever known

oh, and when it comes to promoting themselves, just remember, paper doesn't refuse ink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tried using the app when leaving work at 5am this morning. Didn't work. Every time I went to book a taxi it just came back to say service unavailable. Ended up hailing one on the street which I was trying to avoid due to rain and carrying expensive equipment.
    Between this and them taking a month to add the €20 credit from the Airport promotion I'll be avoiding them in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Lynk and NRC now installed and myTaxi deleted. Thanks for the links Steve OB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How many people here know of Consignia ?

You may be more familiar with what they were called for their first 300 years. Every child recognises their branding through the exploits of an employee of theirs named Pat and his black and white cat.

"A good name is better than precious ointment" - Ecclesiastes 7,1,

Advertisement