Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you avoid stillness?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

I avoid stillness like the plague. I don't need to be quietly sitting still for thoughts to float into my head. My brain is always on the go and thinking about things. I'm easily bored too. The only time I'd be still purposely is if I was sick or sometimes I've found that grief can have that arresting effect on me. But day to day.... Still is what my water is not my mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I like being busy, whether it being work, hobbies etc.

But I also enjoy sitting down after the day for 20 mins and doing absolutely nothing.

So yes? I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Oh I love stillness and solitude- bliss!

Links55 wrote: »
    Are you able to be happy just sitting down on bench somewhere doing nothing and thinking of nothing, just being?

That is the true measure of self esteem in my opinion, understanding you are enough and enjoying just being without the need to distract yourself with "pleasures" or by "being busy".

Agree with this post but how does one "think of nothing"? If you're sitting there in silence on your own it's inevitable you'll fall to thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TheZenMonkey

Agree with this post but how does one "think of nothing"? If you're sitting there in silence on your own it's inevitable you'll fall to thinking.

It's called meditation, and it's definitely not easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My problem is I think too much. I can never switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I like having time alone, but I'm usually doing things. Or, taking in everything around me. I miss having a garden for that reason - used to love sitting out there, listening to the birds and the wind in the trees etc. Very relaxing and a great way to de-stress. I don't really have that option anymore as all I have is a little yard facing a busy road, but I do like spending time alone doing cross-stitch and things like that. Usually stops my mind from over thinking.

I need to take up meditation again, I used to find it very helpful to take a couple of minutes and just 'be in the moment'.

Not sure I'd say it has anything to do with self-esteem though - I can happily be alone because it's other people who make me feel self-conscious!

Advertisement