Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading + which route to go for

Options
  • 21-09-2017 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    4 years ago I asked for advice for building a pc and got great advice all round so figured it's time to ask again,
    I feel it's time for an upgrade and I'm not sure whether to stick with 1440p and purchase an ultra 34 inch wide monitor with a high refresh rate and change from my qnix 1440p monitor which has served me well or to go for for a 27 inch or 32 inch 4K monitor which also means upgrading to 4K. I'm not too fussed about the refresh rates of the monitor as I don't play too much fps games.
    I have the budget for a 1080ti but will a 1080 suit my needs in order to save some dosh?
    Currently got an amd r390 and my cpu is a 3570k and I've got an asrock extreme 4 motherboard with 16 gigs of ram.
    Basically stuck in two minds on whether to just upgrade to 4K or not
    Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adamxtreme

im not sure but if gaming or video editing isnt fully what u want this pc for will a gtx 1060/70 not suffice they will get highest settings 60fps and u could spend your aforementioned dosh on a nice ssd or something id say ud only need that 1080 for 4k gaming witch u said u want but u could still get high settings just a general opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless it's for productivity purposes I wouldn't bother with 4K. I went 4K with a 1080Ti and to be honest it doesn't add much over my previous 1440p/1080 setup, if I could go back I wouldn't really bother it seems largely a waste of my money really (though I can still justify it for VR and it does look better when I play some games on my obviously much larger 4K TV).

In your case, I think an upgrade to a GTX1070 and i7-3770 will see you through a lot more years pretty effortlessly at 1440p. The latter probably not really that necessary, depends on what you're doing/games you're playing.

That said I think an R9 390 would still be pretty reasonable at 1440p in most games. Around the same speed as a GTX1060.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Did you overclock the Qnix monitors refresh rate? Is it the overclockable version?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

Thanks so far it looks like sticking to 1440p would be more reasonable. Would it be a waste for me to purchase an ultra wide 1440p monitor as from reviews they look really sweet, problem is they cost roughly 600-900 for one.
    Graphics card wise the 1070 does seem a good option for value for money, is there a massive difference between that and the 1080 as if it's close enough it might sway me to stick with the 1070.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Did you overclock the Qnix monitors refresh rate? Is it the overclockable version?

I think it is but I haven't overclocked it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If it's the DVI-D only model then it should be overclockable. I'd definitely recommend it.

I have mine at 110Hz with an adjusted colour profile as overclocking it will change your colours slightly. It's not just for twitchey fps games either. It's just a better experience all round. Once you get used to it 60Hz will look and feel like 30Hz.

Guide here on overclocking. It's very simple for Nvidia card owners. Takes a matter of seconds in the Nvidia control panel. Get a colour profile for 110-120Hz as well for that monitor from that page and match your brightness settings to what's recommended.

Download colour sustainer as well which will be used to enforce the colour profile in all programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AH92 wrote: »
    Thanks so far it looks like sticking to 1440p would be more reasonable. Would it be a waste for me to purchase an ultra wide 1440p monitor as from reviews they look really sweet, problem is they cost roughly 600-900 for one.
    Graphics card wise the 1070 does seem a good option for value for money, is there a massive difference between that and the 1080 as if it's close enough it might sway me to stick with the 1070.
    1080 is around 20% faster overall.
    However the 1070's retail price is currently inflated (should be closer to €360 than €400+)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1080 is around 20% faster overall.
    However the 1070's retail price is currently inflated (should be closer to €360 than €400+)

Yea trying to fish out a good deal might try an amazon used one if I can get a cheap enough price. I won't consider anything lower than like new.

Advertisement