Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc project

Options
  • 21-09-2017 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

im thinking of building a laptop with PC gaming in mind does anyone know of a mobo that accepts 233pin ddr3 laptop ram or a laptop replacement unit heat sinks low profile or such. will use pci-e 1x (for wifi) for the gtx 750 ti to plug into

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm not following your train of thought here; do you have any examples of this? :confused:

You want to build a laptop - then hook it up to a desktop GPU over PCI-e x1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I have no idea what you are on about here. From what i can gather, you want to replace your laptop with a desktop for PC gaming. Laptop and desktop parts are not compatible usually so don't even bother with them.

Fill out this:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adamxtreme

my goal is to build a gaming laptop and build it with an old 750 ti i have i dont need help just recommendations a link to a laptop mobo would be helpful im just trying to get a general idea i have my steam library whatever i have that runs on it basically im kinda stepping into unknown territory here its basically a project im a quite an advanced user of pc hardware i know what im doing im just asking for help so its well executed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not that possible or financially viable really. You can get external setups for using desktop GPU's on a laptop but they're patchy and don't always work very well (sometimes not at all) - not to mention expensive too.

Just either buy a gaming laptop (€800 will get you a very capable GTX1050 based one) or get a desktop (€500 would get you a decent machine to start).

i have a desk top i wanna try building a laptop (its for fun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

adamxtreme wrote: »
    i have a desk top i wanna try building a laptop (its for fun)

Laptop parts aren't universal, most GPUs are soldered onto the motherboard, so you can't just slot in a 750ti. Realistically, you already have the card, where would it even fit in a laptop chassis!

There are some clevo laptop chassis that can take desktop card (I think), but these are for custom laptop manufacturers. I don't know if you can even buy them except maybe on eBay.

If you want to build, build a desktop. If you want a laptop, realistically you need to buy it pre-built.

u can get an adapter i was planning on building a custup chassy for exsisting laptop

As pointed out those adapters are very patchy, don't work with a lot of laptops and even if you get it working a 1x link is a bottleneck to a card. Also where are you going to get a chassis for this low-end custom laptop? Are you going to custom manufacture a chassis, keyboard, mouse, screen housing etc and do all the wiring/soldering yourself?

It'd be fair enough if you were an advanced custom builder with the know but from your post it doesn't sound like you have a clue about how to go about it to be honest. I'd consider myself a fairly advanced hardware builder and I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.

You could try making your own external GPU box (would it even work with your laptop? Just having the actual physical port does not mean it will work and they often don't) but for the third time, these are extremely patchy and a waste of time in my opinion. There are even high quality, €2/300 versions available from Cougar and Asus (just for enclosure...not including GPU) and even they are incredibly unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'd have to go with the above. Laptops just aren't intended to be opened up. Anything bar the most basic upgrades are incredibly laborious and take an advanced level of skill with electronics.

What you're suggesting sounds like a nice idea if it were possible but the reality is you would spend a lot of time and money on a system that may or may not work and would likely be little more portable than a desktop.

here listen i came asking for opioins and none of u get that i asked where i can find a laptop replacement board that has a good cpu for gaming and has support for ddr3 im not asking is it possible i honestly dont care if u think its possible im asking for recomondations for what mobo to get nothing more

• Advertisement

u can get an adapter i was planning on building a custup chassy for exsisting laptop

I wrote a big post to try to explain all the pitfalls, but it came off a bit preachy. You won't get much support in this endeavour here as we know the pitfalls. It's going to be damn hard, and the results will be... ****. No mincing words, it'll run like hot garbage.

Maybe have a look at the external GPU idea? Apparently this reddit community is a good resource of knowledge: https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/

Also this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

here listen i came asking for opioins and none of u get that i asked where i can find a laptop replacement board that has a good cpu for gaming and has support for ddr3 im not asking is it possible i honestly dont care if u think its possible im asking for recomondations for what mobo to get nothing more

Find a laptop model that suits your needs (ddr3 etc.). Then search the model number on eBay and filter motherboards.

There are often many, as people break screens etc and just get rid of them, or break them for parts to sell on such as the motherboard.

Also I'm not sure what 233 pin ddr3 ram is? Normal desktop ram is 240 pin, and laptop ram is 204 pin.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/6gvqvx/disappointing_results_with_t430_egpu/

50-60% the performance of a desktop computer.

And you have a 750 Ti which is already low-end, so even1080p 30fps is a stretch.

Trade the laptop parts and build a MITX machine if you want something small.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Find a laptop model that suits your needs (ddr3 etc.).
    Also I'm not sure what 233 pin ddr3 ram is? Normal desktop ram is 240 pin, and laptop ram is 204 pin.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on
    haha i got mixed up i think 233 is ddr4 if i not mistaken (again) but anyway would u happen to know any cheap? its gonna be used as a portable laptop just to use for csgo dishonored 1 and the ammount of indie games i have it doesnt need to be all that good i found a laptop chassie at home one of the 1990s thick laptops imma be useing that for those consered

quick note im not gonna be spending alot on this its just this laptop cant even play csgo i just want sum lowend to play games when im out ill be spending not alot and its not worth getting a gaming laptop whilst i have my tower

haha i got mixed up i think 233 is ddr4 if i not mistaken (again) but anyway would u happen to know any cheap? its gonna be used as a portable laptop just to use for csgo dishonored 1 and the ammount of indie games i have it doesnt need to be all that good i found a laptop chassie at home one of the 1990s thick laptops imma be useing that for those consered

quick note im not gonna be spending alot on this its just this laptop cant even play csgo i just want sum lowend to play games when im out ill be spending not alot and its not worth getting a gaming laptop whilst i have my tower

Do you have a budget?

Please, learn punctuation & reading comprehension:

Your idea is not going to work the way you think it does.

Look at these images:
    0odg47Dl.jpg
    g48dYbgl.jpg

This is an eGPU setup, and it's the only way you can hook a desktop 750 Ti up to a laptop.
    The GPU has to be powered separately from the laptop.
    These are not meant for travelling.

At this point I think it's an obvious troll. He wants a laptop to play CS:Go and he's going to build his own custom hand-made laptop using a hybrid of desktop parts, ancient technology from the 90's and the latest DDR4 ram.....

The only conceivable way a total beginner who knows nothing about laptops could make a custom portable laptop would be to use mitx desktop parts in a custom made wooden hinged case similar to a small briefcase.

At this point I think it's an obvious troll. He wants a laptop to play CS:Go and he's going to build his own custom hand-made laptop using a hybrid of desktop parts, ancient technology from the 90's and the latest DDR4 ram.....

The only conceivable way a total beginner who knows nothing about laptops could make a custom portable laptop would be to use mitx desktop parts in a custom made wooden hinged case similar to a small briefcase.

... I'm getting coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

im not a troll im ambitious im not a beginner im quite more advanced sorry foor not playing by the rules u really think its hard to buy laptop too hdmi converter a pci-e to pci-e 1x and build a small power line converter to power im planning on actually testing how much power this gpu needs after a small under volt and make a quick nd easy power converter to supply the 12v and 5 volts to card how hard does it sound us as a race are gonna die out soon 97.3% of scientists say it (for global warming in particular) and its people like u who tell every one not to try sum to try sum new ill just no my idea is not easy no its not practical but so ****ing what i want to try it i what to find ways to do it and im using a small form factor card it will not be hard to fit in a case ill just post this in pcmr

• Advertisement

Now i'm convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Link to the PCMR thread when you post it? Interested in this OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Please keep updating this thread with your "results". It'll be hilarious.

Advertisement