Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where you live.

• 21-09-2017 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by another thread.

Once an area get a reputation is it impossible to change that.:pac:

I could name a few areas that people seem to think resembles down town Beirut in the middle of a civil war, will not perfect they are grand and all have parts that are described as affluent even very affluent.

It seems to be a hang over from the 1980s combined with petty snobbery?

Im sure there are people grew up in Foxrock and think its a KIp.

Maybe it is a bit of projectionist of personal issues on to the ares they grew up in?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I could tell you a few stories about Harolds Cross and Rathmines, south Dublin that would make Mexican cartels look like alter boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I could tell you a few stories about Harolds Cross and Rathmines, south Dublin that would make Mexican cartels look like alter boys

Yet they would be considered very desirable as a place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I doubt you'll find a soul who would call Foxrock a kip.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Yet they would be considered very desirable as a place to live.

Harolds Cross yes, not so much Rathmines. I live very near both

• Advertisement

Its about perception not reality.

The corollary of my post would be that some areas are bathed in gold both literally and figuratively, its sunshine everyday.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pfft, Foxrock is a kip.

side note: I don't think I've ever been to Foxrock.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pfft, Foxrock is a kip.

I'll bring you fora day trip :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I'll bring you fora day trip :P

Do you think that in one day we can double handedly change the perception of it?

Pfft, Foxrock is a kip.

A no its lovely thing large house with half acre gardens trees every where its the epitome of leafy suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've always felt that the Rathmines/Rathgar/Ranelagh areas were rather desirable places to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Harolds Cross yes, not so much Rathmines. I live very near both

What are you on about? Rathmines not a desirable area to live in? Ya, the ignominy of having to buy a gaff on Leinster Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its about perception not reality.

The corollary of my post would be that some areas are bathed in gold both literally and figuratively, its sunshine everyday.

I don't think anyone would perceive Foxrock to be kip.

That better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The media would have you believe that Limerick is just one dead scumbag after another on the streets but I haven't seen a dead scumbag in days.

What are you on about? Rathmines not a desirable area to live in? Ya, the ignominy of having to buy a gaff on Leinster Road.

I never said it wasn't desirable, just Harolds Cross would be more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bishopstown is terrible. Bad enough the regular drive-by-patio-admirings, there was a riot in Halldene last Sunday because Marks and Spencer had run out of risotto paste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

osarusan wrote: »
    The media would have you believe that Limerick is just one dead scumbag after another on the streets but I haven't seen a dead scumbag in days.

To be honest you're more likely to have a snail thrun at your house like, especially if you live on the Ennis Road, squire. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I was in Limerick for the first time last month and i was shocked at how nice the town was. It has a terrible reputation but it was really nice there. It looks nice and had a nice atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

jimgoose wrote: »
    Bishopstown is terrible. Bad enough the regular drive-by-patio-admirings, there was a riot in Halldene last Sunday because Marks and Spencer had run out of risotto paste.
    :D

Of course there are areas that are not great to live in - it isn't snobbery to acknowledge this.

If places had a bad reputation for good reason and have now settled down, I guess people still calling them kips are referring to how they knew them in the past. I suppose they should do their research though.

I agree that there is not likely anyone who would ever have called Foxrock a kip. Hell of a leap. Somewhere more realistic like Fairview might work better! (A grand area in my opinion but might be considered dodge by some, just because it's on the northside and near Ballybough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Whats this thread about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I heard the opposite. Both areas are grand, but for one-off dodge incidents, it's Harold's Cross that I've heard more negative stuff in relation to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Where you live and other thread wanted names. Didnt know the Gardai used this so much?!?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway I live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've never heard of a cartel member sucking off a priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Tralee has a bad reputation

and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

To be fair, the council are really putting in the effort when it comes to clearing the bodies off the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Your Face wrote: »
    Whats this thread about?
    Where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

chupacabra wrote: »
    Tralee has a bad reputation

and rightly so

Not surprisingly, them roses attract the wrong sort altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Pfft, Foxrock is a kip.

You're not missing much. As far as I can tell there's only a church, a Texaco, a driving range and a shop that sells curtains.

• Advertisement

I moved into Fatima/Rialto/dolphins barn area with an open mind and a breezy outlook a few years ago.

I moved out of it several months back and if you offered me the button for a controlled explosion of the place I'd take the hand off you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Your Face wrote: »
    Whats this thread about?

Your face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Your face

Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 awful_cook

rathmines is more desirable than harolds cross and house prices clearly reflect this , the village of rathmines is far nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Hammer89 wrote: »
    You're not missing much. As far as I can tell there's only a church, a Texaco, a driving range and a shop that sells curtains.

And No Boozer!, Bleedin Kip

21/25

Advertisement