Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't we end anonymity on Boards?

• 21-09-2017 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wouldn't boards be a happier and more content place if we all had to use our real names and have our address with an optional telephone number in our sigs? Wouldn't this help build a greater sense of community among us?

Down with anonymity I say! :pac:

I forgot to put in a poll :( Can a mod put in a poll for me?

Yay
    Nay
    Your creeping me out

Thanks.

Annonymity 264 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    15% 41 votes
    You're creeping me out
    48% 127 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    36% 96 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sure thing.

You first :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wouldn't boards be a happier and more content place if we all had to use our real names and have our address with an optional telephone number in our sigs? Wouldn't this help build a greater sense of community among us?

Down with anonymity I say! :pac:

I forgot to put in a poll :( Can a mod put in a poll for me?

Yay
    Nay
    Your creeping me out

Thanks.

Sure thing Kermit, if that's your real name.

*You're

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Poll added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think you can suddenly just turn a switch like that. If you really wanted to go down that route, you'd have to implement it on a brand new site or service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It would reduce people being sarky coonts with each other.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

My real name is Mahatma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm Mary Lou McDonald.

I'm Mary Lou McDonald.

Sorry, double post there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ronald McDonald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There's anonymity on boards??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm Spartacus

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Ronald McDonald.

s.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm Brian, and so is my wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Em, this is my real name?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not a chance will this be happening. Some of our mods get enough abuse as it is when people don't know their real names. If they suddenly had to post under their real name and became searchable outside of Boards it's highly likely that some idiots would use that information to harass the mods even more. I know I'd be closing my account if I ever had to post under my real name and I'd expect the vast majority of mods, CMods and admins would do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes it would end the fighting but it would result in very bland After Hours threads.

I doubt we would have things like Face kicker, feeky mages, Trent etc

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tod Umptious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's called Facebook.
    Or Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I'm not sure about including an address and phone number (particularly if I was a woman) but I wouldn't see much harm in including your real name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My real name is Mark :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm Keyser Soze

Poll options should be "yea or nay". Yea sounds like yay but is used for voting. Anyway i vote nay

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Zaph wrote: »
    Not a chance will this be happening. Some of our mods get enough abuse as it is when people don't know their real names. If they suddenly had to post under their real name and became searchable outside of Boards it's highly likely that some idiots would use that information to harass the mods even more. I know I'd be closing my account if I ever had to post under my real name and I'd expect the vast majority of mods, CMods and admins would do likewise.

But I know who you are, I know how to find you, however I will only leave little notes around to tell you that you need to buy milk or something like that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm the lead singer is a critically acclaimed band. Try and guess who i am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's called Facebook.
    Or Twitter.

Wouldn't even give my real name there. It's beyond me why people do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Happier, maybe, usefull? No.

If you remove the barrier to identity, then nobody would feel able to speak their mind in todays SJW PC climate.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Poll options should be "yea or nay". Yea sounds like yay but is used for voting. Anyway i vote nay
    You vote 'Nay' for change, or 'Nay' for anonymity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

My real name is Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

end anonymity??

with all the times i've slagged off ISIS no thanks, i'd be dead within a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

My real name is Leo Varadkar.

I suppose you have a bunch of spin doctors working way, on the backs on the taxpayers, doing the posting for you. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Nah, we need to protect nox, because if his details go online... jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

My real name is My Face.

Myface Hertz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

No, it's terrible.

People keep visiting my personal website and calling me by my real name, I hate it :(

I may have posted things on the "somebody unusual you fancy" thread that I don't want in the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

My real name? Have you seen what I post? Jaysus, I'd be out the gap, riding off into the sunset on my dildo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

0AsM2KAJZyUz.gif

I don't use FB because it's not anonymous. Real-name social media is a scourge on the internet, where you have to pretend to be interested in dreck just because your mammy/boss/third cousin in Australia posted it. No, mam, I didn't know that some people were pretending to be Nigerian princes and trying to scam people— thanks for the heads up, that's great. Yes, sir, I think your cat looks brilliant in his new hat and I hope it makes him think about my promotion. Thanks, Jenny, I couldn't possibly have gotten through my day without knowing your new baby spit up six times when you were trying to feed her, who knew babies did that?! Like. Like. Like.

You also have to be very careful you never mention being on holidays, etc. in case it gets your house robbed or whatever.

I like being able to post here and give advice and ask questions without worrying about having to worry about security or feign interest in the irrelevant minutiae of other people's lives. There are too many non-anon spaces on the internet these days.

...I've actually turned into Father Jack now, haven't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

If people were posting publicly - would moderation even be needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If people were posting publicly - would moderation even be needed?

It would, because no matter what name they're posting under some people can't help being dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I'm snotzer

that "retired" Den puppet on rte children's telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

It would, because no matter what name they're posting under some people can't help being dicks.

Agreed. At least they would be dicks in public for all to see. With employers trawling through candidates online presence these days, I for one would certainly be less dickish :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It would reduce people being sarky coonts with each other.

WTF are you on about ya thick Cnut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Agreed. At least they would be dicks in public for all to see. With employers trawling through candidates online presence these days, I for one would certainly be less dickish :P

When you don't know who they are (and, more importantly, don't have to worry about them knowing who you are), dicks on the internet are incredibly easy to ignore, though.

Some random person you've never met or will meet disagrees with you— so what? Keep scrolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My Name is Graham
    I Live is Raheny

and I have a HUGE....

Horsepower Bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My name is Lewin and I make shirts all day, every day. For the Sexuality forum and the Difficult Personal Issues forum. I think not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't see the point in it. If it has to happen, we can be indentified once the required orders are submitted by Garda.

So what would be the benefit to such a change?

What does it matter to anyone else here, who I may or may not be? Do you think it'll lead me to be more considerate in my commentary, or others will be softer in response? The journal links comments through Facebook and it's horrendous for the most part. Google put in a lot of work to reduce the use of alias's on YouTube. Hasn't prevented their comments from consistamtly overflowing with crap.

These are issues with the environment these people post within. And how one identifies themselves has little bearing on it. Boards has it's share of trolls, or people using disposable alias's, but so what of it? Overall it's not really disruptive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It would thing its more of an issue for the like of the Journal.ie because it has to be one or the other for the journal the comments come from their Facebook but some commentators still try to be anonymous kinda wanting to have it both ways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement