Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't we end anonymity on Boards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Swathes of users would be exposed as the spoofers and fantasists they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It would kill the honesty of boards, or more to the point After Hours I suppose. When people can post anon, it does bring with it a huge amount of shíte, but it's honest shíte.
    It would just turn it into facebook and nobody got no time fo that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Please no. I've already said too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

osarusan wrote: »
    Swathes of users would be exposed as the spoofers and fantasists they are.

What normal person believes what they read on the internet?
    I don't even believe Kermit was being serious. In fact I think Kermit is a frog and not a person.
    Are frogs allowed open accounts on boards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I said if, not when. For whatever they may be pursuing, if there is a need behind it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I never said they should monitor employees postings. :confused:

If boards was a public forum, it would be no effort at all to use it to screen candidates. Which forums do they post in? Hmm....they's started 5 threads in "Work Problems Forum". Very little effort there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Lot of posters tend to 'big themselves up' and project a persona. You can't help but think that the reality is more likely to involve computer games, social anxiety, and an addiction to masturbation.

Lot of posters tend to 'big themselves up' and project a persona. You can't help but think that the reality is more likely to involve computer games, social anxiety, and an addiction to masturbation.

Nothing wrong with **** as you play video games by yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Zaph wrote: »
    Not a chance will this be happening. Some of our mods get enough abuse as it is when people don't know their real names. If they suddenly had to post under their real name and became searchable outside of Boards it's highly likely that some idiots would use that information to harass the mods even more. I know I'd be closing my account if I ever had to post under my real name and I'd expect the vast majority of mods, CMods and admins would do likewise.

Why do the mods around here think it is always about them. :P
    Zaph wrote: »
    It would, because no matter what name they're posting under some people can't help being dicks.

Ehhh that would be because they are maybe christened Richard ?

I think we should go half way, as a test like, and only the mods post under the real names.
    And if as you say Zaph, when we hear Mr Zaphod Beeblebrox was attacked outside his house we will know it isn't worth rolling out to all and sundry. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Why stop with real names and phone numbers, we should go the whole hog and have a Boards gone wild page.

By the way, my name is Michael Caine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Vinculus wrote: »
    Why stop with real names and phone numbers, we should go the whole hog and have a Boards gone wild page.

By the way, my name is Michael Caine.

You mean My Cocaine

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

That's brilliant! I never going to hear that song in the same way again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So if we take the yays with the "creepy" (not nay) that's a Brexit like majority and potential coalition of the willing in this binding referendum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I'm Brian.... and so is my wife!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So if we take the yays with the "creepy" (not nay) that's a Brexit like majority and potential coalition of the willing in this binding referendum ;)

eh, "you're creeping me out" is a very definite no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Hahahahahahaha. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

eh, "you're creeping me out" is a very definite no.

Is it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Nothing wrong with **** as you play video games by yourself.

I hold the controller against my testicles and repeatedly crash into walls in GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

As with many things in life, youd have to ask "who will gain from it?" and then its very easy to see the motivation behind it.

Just in terms of "left versus right", who would benefit the most from it, which side, in this political climate of insanity, would lose a platform?

Once you have that figured out, go and have a look at the people who agree with the proposal, and see how the two match up.

It reeks of the need to have an echo chamber, a "safe space" at the expense of others.

And for what its worth, politics aside, only a freaking moron thinks its a good idea to publicly display themselves to the world (yes, facebookers).

So that's a yes to anonymity from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

:D:D What annonymity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I post in the Eurovision thread... I need my anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I'm Conor Mcloud, of the clan Mcloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Being anonymous is what is good about being on sites like this otherwise it becomes like Facebook, i have no interest in sharing my personal life with complete strangers thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

In One of my passports I'm nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A girl I work with asked me was I anna080. Was gonna deny it but thought feck it. I post some daft sh|t but nothing I'm too ashamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

anna080 wrote: »
    A girl I work with asked me was I anna080. Was gonna deny it but thought feck it. I post some daft sh|t but nothing I'm too ashamed of.
    ...As she frantically tries to delete all the office bitch posts!!!

To thine own self be true

...As she frantically tries to delete all the office bitch posts!!!

I'm sure that's the very reason she spotted me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Some of it I've read recently has been sensible enough. That's fairly freaky though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I'm Carrie Crowley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anonymity has its drawbacks when people are determined to be horrible but it's mostly a good thing.

It's strange to demand that people publicly 'stand by' their opinions on a forum when generally it's the (relative obviously) anonymity that allows most people to genuinely express themselves without inhibition. You'd have much more sterile and selfconscious discourse here otherwise.

You feel that the people that generally cheerlead the ending of 'anonymity' are usually involved in one of the usual internecine wars in here and want some sort of option that they can't get by simple discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

No one is stopping anyone regestering their own name when they sign up for this site or other sites if they so wish, just do that if you want to use your real identity online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Did she maybe spot you logging in? That's how I got caught with my old username. :)

There is one guy here - not a hugely prominent poster but frequent enough, and I am nearly 100% certain I know who he is. It has to be him. So you can out yourself all right.

If there was no anonymity, the good posters would be careful about what they say, and the fruitcakes who don't care about social graces would take over. It would be like Facebook or TheUrinal.ie - no thanks.

• Advertisement

Spider Web wrote: »
    Did she maybe spot you logging in? That's how I got caught with my old username. :)

There is one guy here - not a hugely prominent poster but frequent enough, and I am nearly 100% certain I know who he is. It has to be him. So you can out yourself all right.

If there was no anonymity, the good posters would be careful about what they say, and the fruitcakes who don't care about social graces would take over. It would be like Facebook or TheUrinal.ie - no thanks.

No it's not even a cool story. I bought cool pillowcases and was bragging on here about them and then I went into work bragging about them and she was like, hang on? Lol.
    Anyway I'm not all that different on here than I am in real life. The views I relay on here are the same as I hold in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Spider Web wrote: »

When I just moved into the house here, I put some of the old clutter on adverts for free. Mind you, this village here is tiny. 2 hours later I had the neighbor calling in, asking if I still have it because she's seen it on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm the 'Secret Producer'.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

Nay for real names. Imagine Boards without AMA!! I doubt any of the contributors woulda put themselves on/out there without anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wouldn't boards be a happier and more content place if we all had to use our real names and have our address with an optional telephone number in our sigs? Wouldn't this help build a greater sense of community among us?

No - think of the 3 or 4 (maybe less) ladies who post on here - they'd constantly be in the courts getting restraining orders and what not if people knew where they lived.

So please, I implore you - think of the ladies and end this madness:mad:

Edit - that being said, I don't think I've ever said something here that I wouldn't say in conversation to "real" people. I'm pretty much an open book. But at least 99.99% of all my posts are from my desk in work - you never know the boss might just take a dim view - probably best not to ask him!:D

And anyway - everyone knows where I live. In a pineapple, under the sea - there's a song and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's not only about being ashamed of something you've said.Some people have to avoid abusive ex partners or families in real life, and don't want them prying, others mightn't want their colleagues to know they're gay/bisexual and they may have mentioned it on Boards, there are various reasons why people wouldn't feel safe if their current profiles were...de anonymised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Even though I've never once registered under my real name on boards (3rd account in 5 years) I was caught out in 2014 by my then employer who pulled me and said I know who you are on Boards.ie so I asked him the name and by Christ he found me alright.

Now though only 2 people know, my wife and 1 other person.

Never again will I don't disclose information leading to who I really am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Some people had to do that on another message board I used frequent. It was a media themed message board and supposodly the owners were threatened with legal action for some comments made about radio personalities. This type of thing aside, it should really be optional. I'd be less likely to post the half baked crap i do under my real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

All things considered, I'm amused that it's an anonymous poll.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Samaris wrote: »
    All things considered, I'm amused that it's an anonymous poll.

The guy that added the poll is a d*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The guy that added the poll is a d*ck.

Why wasn't there an option for complaining about the misspelling of "anonymity"? :D *complains about lack of opportunity to complain!*

(I totally didn't double-check my own spelling of it, nosirree.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement