Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Wardrobe

• 21-09-2017 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm 25 and have decided its time to update my wardrobe. I'll admit I'm not stylish at all. In work, I can wear jeans/tshirts/casual shirts. It's quite a relaxed workplace. I'm starting from zero clothes.

I'm very slim so will be looking for outfits that suit slim guys but aren't very tight.

Where would be good shops to buy the basics? I prefer plain clothes that I won't go out of fashion instead of cutting edge fashion that will be out of style next week.

In particular looking for good well fitting slim tshirts and good quality jeans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I'm 25 and have decided its time to update my wardrobe. I'll admit I'm not stylish at all. In work, I can wear jeans/tshirts/casual shirts. It's quite a relaxed workplace. I'm starting from zero clothes.

I'm very slim so will be looking for outfits that suit slim guys but aren't very tight.

Where would be good shops to buy the basics? I prefer plain clothes that I won't go out of fashion instead of cutting edge fashion that will be out of style next week.

In particular looking for good well fitting slim tshirts and good quality jeans.
    I was in the same position recently. Have not go a clue about fashion these days. What I would advice you is to find someone who does know about it and bring them with you shopping. When it comes to trousers and jeans I think it is important to have somebody tell you if they fit right on you. Just because you buy something that is in fashion does not mean it will look good on you etc. Luckily I have friend who is into fashion. I always use to wear 34L jeans but was advised to wear 32L and wear the waist lower and not have the jeans crinkled at the shoes... So 90's apparently..lol and they would look better.... would not have known this without advice from somebody in the know and did get comments I looked smarter since changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Try Debenhams.

Also bear in mind that they have a free personal shopper service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jeans, I think Levi 511s might be what you're looking for. The cuts can vary, so you'd definitely need to try on a pair or two (hassle, I know!) if you are thinking of getting them. They can also be a bit pricey (circa 80eur in Arnotts).

I used to be 34L, but with these I find 32L fits better.

As for tshirts. I'm not sure if its just that the general style has changed so that I find small is my fit now rather than medium, or that the cuts have changed according to style, but ultimately I've gone down a size in recent years. I'm 6'2" and slim enough. Some of my favourite tshirts came from All Saints, which I picked up on the cheap in a sale in their Kildare outlet store. Think they were about €10 each. A lot of good tshirts now are around 20-30 quid, but I find it hard to justify 30 quid for a tshirt.

Another idea might be to go onto Asos.com and have a browse at the different types of clothes that are currently on sale. You'll start seeing stuff that you like and might give you an idea as to what way you want to shape your wardrobe. You can actually get good prices on tshirts and stuff here too anyway. They've a good returns policy as well.

Alternatively, if looking for a quick and easy guideline, something like the below isn't a bad start.

n2IqUYm.png

Ultimately though, don't go buying and wearing something if you don't like it, just because you think you should. If you're patient enough in your research, be it through asos or whatever, I'm sure you'll build a wardrobe that suits you in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I was in the same position recently..

Funnily enough I was in this position a few weeks ago, so went into Bests and bought a few pairs of trousers, shirts, jumpers etc.

A girl in college yesterday asked if I was a priest

I think I'm doing this "fashion" thing wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Have a look on Asos & see what you like - use the saved items to go back and review

A wardrobe is a constantly evolving entity. I've been posting in these threads looking for advice etc. for the past 5 years and while I've invested I'm still not overly happy with what I have. That said there are a few essentials I'd suggest

Coats:

I have one long, formal, black coat but that needs to be replaced. Two pea coats for winter time and a navy bomber, and a leather jacket for year round wear.

Will be looking to upgrade on the navy bomber & formal coat. Definitely want to get myself a parka as they look great.

Shoes:

Brown leather boots - particularly going into winter - Debenhams should do here, got a pair from them about 3 years ago (Jasper Conran) and no issues with them. Spend the extra €10 on leather cream that you can dab & rub on with a cloth and a quick polish sponge.

Runners - I'm still on the lookout for some solid white and blue striped adidas runners. I've a pair of Cons & a white pair of penguin pimsols but a pair of runners that arent' canvas could last you a long time.

Jeans:

I'd recommend Asos slim fit here tbh - I've bought from River Island, tried on selecteds range and tbqh - for fit, comfort and value - Asos do some very nice skinny jeans. I've a pair of Dark blue almost navy, light blue (more summer, go well with runners/white shoes), Black. And from a previous trip to the states I've a few pairs of Levis (one in burgundy) and Penguin jeans.

Shirts:

River Island do some nice slim fit shirts. I picked up a gem of a blue oxford shirt for €15 in Dunnes last week, I'd recommend Oxford shirts heading towards winter but for summer, having 2/3 short sleeve shirts are handy for BBQs etc.
    Asos own brand shirts are also quite nice, have one or two that I initially used for work and then ended up using for going out - look well with some jeans and derby shoes.

Tees:

I still have some patterned tees or ones with branding & logos etc. but I'm more of a plain guy - Asos multi packs or tees with a top pocket that show a design or different colour do me.

Jumpers:

Picked up some very nice Le Shark jumpers recently (they're on Asos also) they fit really well and aren't that expensive.

I moved more towards light jumpers and tops than tees lately and it's easy to find a relatively nice light jumper. Similarly with a cardigan - plain tee underneath a nice cardigan can look much better than a simple jumper or tee on its own.

I think Knex or somebody else advised - dont' just go out and buy one or two items from each of the categories above for the sake of an overhaul - look on Asos, browse some shops and see if you like it. Fit is the most important thing. If you love a jumper but it's too small or big - that won't change. Put it back. Find clothes that you like that fit well, even if you pay a little more than you'd hoped and you can have a wardrobe that you'll be happy with and that will (hopefully) last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

The more fitting the better when it comes to jeans these days I think. You don’t need to go full-on skinny but slim fit is really nice. I’d never have gone near them before but I was advised a while back to try a smaller size than usual and they’re really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Knex. wrote: »
    Ultimately though, don't go buying and wearing something if you don't like it, just because you think you should. If you're patient enough in your research, be it through asos or whatever, I'm sure you'll build a wardrobe that suits you in the end.

This a million times. You'll hear plenty of "fashion tips", but ultimately it's not guaranteed that what is "in", works for you.

A few nights ago I was watching some dude on YT doing a "what to wear and what to avoid" guide; It was pretty basic and sound stuff, which everyone should know about really (e.g. get your shirts ironed...), but then he goes and adds into the "things to avoid"...jeans/trousers that touch the shoe, and advocates rolling up jeans with that couple of inches of "free ankle" showing. It might be "in fashion", but it's revolting and inelegant.

Sure, if it depended on me guys should always wear a suit; I realize it's impractical and more casual styles are required, but the "jeans ending a couple of inches above your feet" one is definitely too much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I think what you are looking for is a capsule wardrobe. Essentially a small amount of clothes that can worn interchangeably and generally never go out of fashion.

Check here: https://www.mrporter.com/mens/list/the_essentials

The prices will be very expensive but look in the high street shops (H&M, River Island, Zara) for similar, more reasonably priced products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Everything should be slim fitting, but that's depending on your build/weight. So for a average build guy slim fit will look slim, for an overweight guy regular fit will look slim.

For trousers,
    grey and tan/khaki chinos,
    mid wash/dark wash or grey jeans (you can go with black or light wash too but they're usually worn by younger lads),

basic t shirts from the likes of River Island, white, grey, black, tan, light blue..
    Knit wear go with similar colours, some slim fitting without much detail and others with fisherman chunky style.

For shirts; white, light blue.. you can't go wrong. Avoid colours that look like off-white. So avoid yellows, tans and other similar colours that just make it look like a discoloured white shirt. Smaller prints tend to look better too..
    You can also look into flannels, which are slightly heavier shirts, avoid anything to bright and stand-out-ish, but black and a muted red is always popular.

A good rain coat, could be a waxed jacket from the likes of barbour, a parka jacket, just something to keep the rain out.
    Puffer jackets are very popular, they're not the most durable but they are nice light jackets. Harrington jackets are getting more popular too... Go for black, navy etc..

For shoes you can go with a pair of basic runners, something like Adidas gazelles, jack purcels, just something that's not bright coloured and made for seasoned runners.
    Clark Desert Boots in Beeswax are very popular too for a reason, they're easy to wear and comfortable. They go great with mid wash jeans.
    For more 'dressy shoes', brown is the most popular, you can wear it with a suit or with jeans and a jumper. Avoid square toe or too pointy.
    I'm a big fan of chelsea boots too.. just avoid too much detail, black, tan, brown, leather or suede and you're good. Again, no pointy or square toes.

Just keep everything slim fitting (depending on how you're body is), go for colours that aren't too out there, avoid mustard, hot pink and neon colours, and don't be too 'matchy matchy', so don't wear blue jeans and a light blue t shirt with a light blue OCBD.
    Make sure your belt colour matches the colour of your shoes if you're wearing leather shoes (or its brown runners etc. just if it's brown wear a brown belt, if it's black, wear a black belt.. don't wear a white belt with white runners..)

If you've got a bit more cash to spend you could invest in certain brands, Ralph Lauren, Gant, Barbour, Belstaff, Common Projects, Red Wing, Alden, Hugo Boss etc but you don't need to spend a lot of money starting out, it's advisable not to so you don't waste money on colours that don't suit or clothes that don't fit.

That's just a fool-safe way of looking at it I guess, after awhile you can start to try some other things, like a light wash denim jacket on black or grey jeans, shearling coats, overcoats etc, or other colours you like, might be forest green, royal blue, ferrari red..
    A lot of those too would be fine if you keep everything simple to begin with, so grey jeans, green jumper, royal blue and maybe tan chinos..

Find people who's style you like, that's usually a celebrity..
    Steve McQueen is a popular choice.

Youtube is a great resource, some of them give out the same basic advice while spending a minute of each video selling you some sub par watch.. others are helpful. So RealMenRealStyle, AlphaM, TheModestMan for example.

Also look on style forums, reddit mfa and style forum are both popular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

New Wardrobe?

Perhaps Harvey Norman? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement