Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road signs in cycle lane

Options
  • 21-09-2017 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Why do councils put road signs in cycle lanes? Is my safety not as important as driver safety? This is happening this week due to road works on forest road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

For the same reason people park in them, walk in them etc.

Because they can.

It's really annoying, some of the off road lanes I use to and from work are sometimes blocked with temporary signs, cars etc so I tend not to use them but then I have cars beeping at me when they're not blocked. Maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's not all bad.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.stack.imgur.com%2FwXAtK.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a dog poo bin in the cycle lane I use. Right in the lane. Fantastic. Oh, and since the cycle lane/path is raised, there are steps that appear in the middle of the cycle lane. God help you if you're cycling at night, because it's unlit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They have been very, and I mean very slowly improving the paths between Mobhi Road and Hart's Corner in Glasnevin/Phibsborough. Numerous times they've put the road works signs right into the cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

There are three places such a sign, which hopefully is there to improve safety while works are being completed, can go:

1 - on the footpath (assuming there is one) ; this may or may not result in pedestrians having to move out onto the road

2 - in the cycle lane ; which means cyclists have to move out

3 - to the right of the cycle lane; which may/may not require motor vehicles to enter an adjacent lane/partially cross over to the opposite side of the road.

On balance I'm ok with option 2 provided it wasn't possible to put the signs on the path without causing pedestrians to move out onto the road. Moving around obstacles safely is a basic enough skill in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Here is the new cycle lane in Tralee. They are redoing all the roads in the centre of town and pedestrianised the main street where the taxi rank used to be. The taxi drivers are up in arms about the new location of their rank so they decided to start parking on the new cycle lane instead. This is how it has been dealt with
    6LFETb4.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There are three places such a sign, which hopefully is there to improve safety while works are being completed, can go:

1 - on the footpath (assuming there is one) ; this may or may not result in pedestrians having to move out onto the road

2 - in the cycle lane ; which means cyclists have to move out

3 - to the right of the cycle lane; which may/may not require motor vehicles to enter an adjacent lane/partially cross over to the opposite side of the road.

On balance I'm ok with option 2 provided it wasn't possible to put the signs on the path without causing pedestrians to move out onto the road. Moving around obstacles safely is a basic enough skill in my view.

There’s usually or often other options, like: attaching light signs to existing sign posts / polls / trees or putting the sign posts in green verges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

Hiya all,

I sent a tweet and email to Fingal County Council and they said it would be passed onto their ops dept. i am sure next time there are road works in the area they will just do the same. They have plenty of space on Rathingle Road to place them off the cycle path on a grass verge so it would not block path, cycle path or road which would make more sense.

Anyhow road works complete, roll on the next burst water pipe on the Forest Road, Swords.

Thanks for all your comments, interesting to see what people think.

John

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I sent a tweet and email to Fingal County Council and they said it would be passed onto their ops dept.
    i emailed DLR a few weeks ago about the cycle path on the leopardstown road, and received a reply saying it had been passed on to the relevant department. i have not heard a peep since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There's a dog poo bin in the cycle lane I use. Right in the lane. Fantastic. Oh, and since the cycle lane/path is raised, there are steps that appear in the middle of the cycle lane. God help you if you're cycling at night, because it's unlit!

That the stretch along the coast from Raheny to Sutton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

monument wrote: »
    There’s usually or often other options, like: attaching light signs to existing sign posts / polls / trees or putting the sign posts in green verges etc.

You’re right of course. The options above should be used in preference to blocking the route of any road user. After that I’d go for the above hierarchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

In Galway we have the joy of permanent road signs set into the cycle lanes. Complaints to council have had no effect.

Advertisement