Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23 months experience

Options
  • 21-09-2017 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently transitioned from being a named driver to owning y car and a month ago I sorted insurance with the AA, or so I thought.

When I filled in the forms I put down that I had 2 years' experience as a named driver - Sept 2015-End Aug 2017. However the AA are now on my case because they say I don't have 2 years' experience because I was put on as a named driver at the end of September, and therefore I should have said I had 1 year's experience.

They're going to get someone to call me, but I'm worried about the insurance being cancelled and my premium going up, all over fewer than 30 days.

Can anyone let me know if they've heard of this previously, or at least talk me down cos I'm getting a bit fretful. I mean, if I had a baby 23 months ago I'd say it was 2, if I bought shoes last Friday I'd say that I had them a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

kylith wrote: »
    I have recently transitioned from being a named driver to owning y car and a month ago I sorted insurance with the AA, or so I thought.

When I filled in the forms I put down that I had 2 years' experience as a named driver - Sept 2015-End Aug 2017. However the AA are now on my case because they say I don't have 2 years' experience because I was put on as a named driver at the end of September, and therefore I should have said I had 1 year's experience.

They're going to get someone to call me, but I'm worried about the insurance being cancelled and my premium going up, all over fewer than 30 days.

Can anyone let me know if they've heard of this previously, or at least talk me down cos I'm getting a bit fretful. I mean, if I had a baby 23 months ago I'd say it was 2, if I bought shoes last Friday I'd say that I had them a week.

Unfortunately you don't have 2 year experience. Simple as.

Perhaps you could buy the new policy with 1 years no claims on it and cancel after a month.

Then take out a new policy with the now 2 years driving experience.

You need to ensure no gap in cover.

However a cancellation charge may apply and rates could increase in the month so do your maths first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, I'm not going to argue with them. It was the drop-down menu that got me: with a choice between 1 or 2 years, I went for the one I was closer to.

They're getting someone to call me today, I can only hope that they allow me to explain myself and they don't charge me too much more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Seems 23 months is a wee bit shorter than 2 years.

But a lot longer than 1 year.

Anyway, very nice chap contacted me. I explained what had happened, he understood why I went for 2 years on the drop-down menu, and the long and short of it is it only cost me a few quid extra for him to cancel 1 policy and start a new one with no break in cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Anyway, very nice chap contacted me. I explained what had happened, he understood why I went for 2 years on the drop-down menu, and the long and short of it is it only cost me a few quid extra for him to cancel 1 policy and start a new one with no break in cover.
    But you took out this policy a month ago, so you have 24 months experience now. Does this new policy say 1 year or 2?

But you took out this policy a month ago, so you have 24 months experience now. Does this new policy say 1 year or 2?

1, but I didnt' figure it worth arguing about over the few quid. Sure, it'll be down again next year, and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

1, but I didnt' figure it worth arguing about over the few quid. Sure, it'll be down again next year, and so on.
    With the extra month and assuming that this new policy is for 12 months and you remain claim free, you should be up to 3 years.

Advertisement