Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wings or Drumettes?

Options
  • 21-09-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

What do you prefer, chicken wings or chicken drumettes (the little drum shaped legs that come with wings)?

Crispy-Baked-Buffalo-Wings-3-680x952.jpg

Wings or Drumettes? 43 votes

Wings
    0% 0 votes
    Drumettes
    65% 28 votes
    I don't like either; why am I here?
    34% 15 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Which do you prefer yourself?

I prefer drumettes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

More meat on the drumettes but taster meat on the wing part imo and a better skin and sauce ratio.
    (long winded way of saying I prefer the wing part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Wings all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Which do you prefer yourself?

I prefer drumettes :)

I'm also a drumette person. I just didn't want to skew peoples thinking by putting my choice in the original post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No 'Both' option! :confused:

• Advertisement

No 'Both' option! :confused:

Everyone here likes both dude, it's about which one you prefer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Everyone here likes both dude, it's about which one you prefer :pac:

It's like asking which is my favourite kid! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I could not look at them in advance I would go for wingettes, as its a safer bet. I usually have no preference but the drumettes can have loads of fat still on them. I like them rendered right down.

Aldi have been selling them cut up now for a while, with no sauce on them. Not sure if other supermarkets do, some have them cut up with some mediocre BBQ sauce put on them and jack up the price hugely. The aldi ones are a little more per kilo than their regular wings but many would discard the tips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I can't decide :'(

better skin and sauce ratio.

Probably the best argument I've ever heard from the wing party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Drumettes. The friend I eat wings with most often is a paperclip person. It's the perfect symbiotic relationship.

I always thought I was being a dick, eating more of the drumettes than wings when I shared with people. I thought everyone preferred them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Wings for sure. Crispier and tastier. Drumettes as previously said can be horribly fatty/grisly sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Drumettes. Wings are too fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Drumettes all the way!
    Never even knew there was a name for them!
    I'd usually prepare them as joined together, and eat the wing bit first, to allow me the enjoy the best bit last.
    If I could buy drumettes only I probably would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Hate the drumettes personally, they always get left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hate the drumettes personally, they always get left behind.
    :eek:
    Give me a shout whenever you head out for wings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Drumettes all the way!
    Never even knew there was a name for them!
    I'd usually prepare them as joined together, and eat the wing bit first, to allow me the enjoy the best bit last.
    If I could buy drumettes only I probably would!

I do this too. Not just with wings and drumettes, but with any meal where there is a good bit and a better bit. Best to leave the better bit to the end.

So, in summary, drumettes.

kylith wrote: »
    Drumettes. Wings are too fiddly.

Such a good point. You can pick up a drumette and that's it, you're ready to dip it into the sauce of your pleasing or just ready to eat. With a wing there's the deboning process, which in itself takes away the rigidness of the wing, making it somewhat more difficult to dip (not much, but some).

I can't believe this isn't tigher.. I think people are being swayed by the name, we all orders wings, no one orders drumettes.

I think people just prefer wings subconsciously.

Typical case of drummette prejudice.

#justiceforthedrummette

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Both equally. I thought this was drumstick v wing for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Makood wrote:

Thought it was a typo too myself .. never knew "those" other wings were called drumettes

ianob7 wrote:
    Thought it was a typo too myself .. never knew "those" other wings were called drumettes

They both can't be the same thing. Like give me an example of any other two foods that are completely different in structure, but called the same thing.

'pass the pizza please'

*Someone hands me a leg of lamb*

ianob7 wrote: »
    I was looking up how to cut them before, never saw them referred to as "wings and drumettes" on any site I saw. The wing is the whole thing, when cut up they are referred to as drumettes and wingettes, or sometimes the wingettes are called "flats".

There are videos on how to deal with the wingettes, you can hold and twist them and pull out the small bone. Some pull out both. If they are not really well done this can leave nasty bits which are not rendered down. I like to eat every scrap I can. This type of thing below disgusts me. As well as people tossing wings back on a shared platter

chicken-wings-half-eaten.jpg

whole page devoted to these wasteful sinners. I even had a mate of mine comment on my eating mine, moaning/shocked that I actually did eat them, sitting proudly in front of his half eaten ones, as though I did something wrong.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/so-much-disrespect?utm_term=.wggpPx5dx#.bn68Ld26d

Pter wrote: »
    Like give me an example of any other two foods that are completely different in structure, but called the same thing.
    kebabs, sometimes surprises me that people are genuinely completely ignorant that the "other" type exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

chicken thighs > all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Wings all the way. Can't beat a few spicy wings, so yum!

Wings all the way. Can't beat a few spicy wings, so yum!
    Your post has me thinking you might be thinking the same as this
    Makood wrote: »

and you might be thinking of drumsticks vs the usual mixture of wingettes & drumettes you would get called "wings"

anatomy_of_a_chicken_wing.jpg

main-qimg-04433a0e8f43c4240238f46d97b4ca26-c

The top pic above is why I would go for wingettes if it was a blind choice, the drumette is huge with big pockets of fat which might not be cooked out. While below shows a wing from a presumably smaller bird where the drumette looks like it would be likely rendered down as much as the wingette

640x960.jpg

the pic below is how mine often look if cutting them up, problem there is that the skin on the drumette is going to recede and bunch up, and possibly not be rendered down where it is all bunched, the exposed meat will be prone to drying out.
    Know-Your-Wing-Parts-Tip-Wingette-Drumette.png?resize=524%2C310

Curry Addict mentioned thighs, I used to dislike (or consider too risky) these from chippers etc again as they sometimes were not rendered down, sometimes amazing, but (full) wings were the safer bet. If it was a chipper I knew did them right I would ask for them. If cooking myself thighs are good, less items to prepare, pick up and its a decent eat.

I do thighs in an airfryer, my trick is cooking at just 100-120C for 30-60mins depending on size, gets rid of some fat, any "ligamenty" bits are tenderised/rendered down. I have also steamed them lightly to get a similar effect, or simmered on a low heat. They can be basted with the fat later, I do not particularly want low fat, but just no horrible tough bits.

Advertisement