Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre?

Options
  • 21-09-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Have had numerous conversations with broadband support but I've been completely unable to get any answers to our broadband issues. We live in a 70 house estate in Trim, Co. Meath. Our broadband is copper PSTN back to the exchange about 1.5km away. This is despite there being two intermediate fibre cabinets. The adjacent street is connected to one of these cabinets and gets around 10 times the broadband speed we get. The Eir website says that we are in a fibre-enabled area yet the suggested fibre speed we will get is 30% LOWER than our current copper connection. I sent a lengthy email to the rollout team yet, surprise surprise, no reply. How on earth do I get to speak with someone who can advise about cross-patching to these fibre cabinets or the rollout plan to get a cabinet installed adjacent to the copper cabinet in our estate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Av8or wrote: »
    Have had numerous conversations with broadband support but I've been completely unable to get any answers to our broadband issues. We live in a 70 house estate in Trim, Co. Meath. Our broadband is copper PSTN back to the exchange about 1.5km away. This is despite there being two intermediate fibre cabinets. The adjacent street is connected to one of these cabinets and gets around 10 times the broadband speed we get. The Eir website says that we are in a fibre-enabled area yet the suggested fibre speed we will get is 30% LOWER than our current copper connection. I sent a lengthy email to the rollout team yet, surprise surprise, no reply. How on earth do I get to speak with someone who can advise about cross-patching to these fibre cabinets or the rollout plan to get a cabinet installed adjacent to the copper cabinet in our estate?
    Hi Av8or,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Can you send me a PM containing your account number and full name so I can check on this for you please?

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Av8or

Oh well, I shouldn't really have been surprised. Despite being contacted by private message, it seems that Eir aren't willing to consider assisting with this. The anticipated answer is that, should we switch to fibre, we can expect a maximum speed of 7Mbps (vs our existing 12 or so Mbps we currently have with our PSTN connection back to the exchange). Nobody seems prepared to explain just why this solution is inferior to their copper solution. The rollout team still can't be bothered to reply to my email I submitted. I have been advised that Eir can't (won't!) patch to alternative or intermediate cabinets. So, basically, it's the standard f*ck the customer attitude. Why was I so naive to think that I'd get a credible answer to my question???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Av8or wrote: »
    Oh well, I shouldn't really have been surprised. Despite being contacted by private message, it seems that Eir aren't willing to consider assisting with this. The anticipated answer is that, should we switch to fibre, we can expect a maximum speed of 7Mbps (vs our existing 12 or so Mbps we currently have with our PSTN connection back to the exchange). Nobody seems prepared to explain just why this solution is inferior to their copper solution. The rollout team still can't be bothered to reply to my email I submitted. I have been advised that Eir can't (won't!) patch to alternative or intermediate cabinets. So, basically, it's the standard f*ck the customer attitude. Why was I so naive to think that I'd get a credible answer to my question???
    Hi Av8or, 

I completely understand your frustration here. 

I have responded to your PM there now.

Thanks 

Adam 

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

It's an old thread but I can explain.
    Fibre from the cab has a higher bitrate but distance suffers as it can pick up alot of noise and crosstalk at 1.3km you will only be able to get anywhere from 10 to 1meg whereas at 0 - 400m from cab you get the full 100mb
    ADSL from exchange is much slower has a slower bitrate but is considered much more reliable in terms of doing the distance can go 5km and sometimes a bit more the speeds suffer though.
    At 1.3km fibre at cab is worse than ADSL from exchange. 
    It is sometimes possible to get your line patched into another cab if the lines are close enough but eir do not like entertaining this. It'd be like asking another towns postman to deliver you post as you only live a few houses outside the boundary and you find the other inadaqute 

Advertisement