Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids and Insurance

• 21-09-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

My neighbors kids( 6&3ish) have taken to cycling into and in my garden,
    It was tared a while ago and not flat as I would like.

I asked the kids not to cycle there and was told soz and they were at it again in an hour, parents dont care. Yesterday the kids opened the gate to get in on their bikes.

My concern is who is liable if one of them has an accident in my garden? have standard house insurance.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Bredabe wrote: »
    My neighbors kids( 6&3ish) have taken to cycling into and in my garden,
    It was tared a while ago and not flat as I would like.

I asked the kids not to cycle there and was told soz and they were at it again in an hour, parents dont care. Yesterday the kids opened the gate to get in on their bikes.

My concern is who is liable if one of them has an accident in my garden? have standard house insurance.

Buy a lock.

Way cheaper and less hassle than a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Buy a lock.

Way cheaper and less hassle than a dog.
    Do you know what the insurance implications of one of those kids having an accident in my garden is?
    Especially as they have no respect for gates/fences/locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Minors are not deemed to be responsible for their actions. If there is a hazard on your property (broken paving, glass etc.) and the child is injured tou will be held liable. Can I ask where the parents are? 6 and 3 seems very young to be out unsupervised?

Minors are not deemed to be responsible for their actions. If there is a hazard on your property (broken paving, glass etc.) and the child is injured tou will be held liable. Can I ask where the parents are? 6 and 3 seems very young to be out unsupervised?

Thanks for your sensible reply, I've asked the parents to tell them not to open the gate or hop over the fence, they told me to F*&k off, kids will be kids and have the right to be anywhere they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I think I would write a letter to the kids parents requesting them to keep their children off your property as you will be not responsible if they have an accident or get hurt. I would also put up a sign 'no trespassing'. Take a photo and keep a copy of the letter in case of any incidents. Also put a lock on your gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Trish56 wrote: »
    I think I would write a letter to the kids parents requesting them to keep their children off your property as you will be not responsible if they have an accident or get hurt. I would also put up a sign 'no trespassing'. Take a photo and keep a copy of the letter in case of any incidents. Also put a lock on your gate.

Unfortunately, that won't absolve you from your responsibilities. As someone else mentioned here, put a lock on your gate. Whatever you do, don't put up anything dangerous to try and prevent them getting in

Also, I'm afraid to say, I don't think the OP's life is going to get any easier as those kids get old if that is the attitude of the mother.

Unfortunately, that won't absolve you from your responsibilities. As someone else mentioned here, put a lock on your gate. Whatever you do, don't put up anything dangerous to try and prevent them getting in

Also, I'm afraid to say, I don't think the OP's life is going to get any easier as those kids get old if that is the attitude of the mother.
    Sadly, I think you are right, they have already broken one lock he's pt on the gate and the fences are low anyway. Yup, not holding out much hope when dad thinks this is ok behavior.

Advertisement