Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade questions (compatibility and PSU)

Options
  • 21-09-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have decided to upgrade my old PC, I figure I can salvage the case and the PSU. I want to have deasent gaming machine, not 4K, 1080 would be fine. I am planning on getting the following:
    • Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E  £199
    • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive - Black  £83
    • Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black  £80
    • GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming AMD Ryzen CPU AM4 Socket DDR4 PCIe Gen 3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard £91
    • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Desktop CPU - AM4/Hex Core/GHz/16MB/65W £180
    Any thought on this bundle, I am fairly sure thet are all compatible but I am not sure about the mobo or memory, not really sure what to look for, do they look ok?
    Second question, the psu on my old PC looks good but I am not entirely sure it will support the upgrade combo, to looks like a 600W PSU but I am not really sure. Can anyone tell from the picture if this PSU should bo ok for my upgraded system?

Link to Picture https://imgur.com/a/7cXMZ

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks decent. I'd go for the 6Gb version of the 1060 though or an RX 580. 3GB of graphics memory just doesn't cut it for a lot of newer games.

There's no picture of your psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Damit I can't get the editing to work, here is my original post with link to picture updated...
    Hi,
    I have decided to upgrade my old PC, I figure I can salvage the case and the PSU. I want to have deasent gaming machine, not 4K, 1080 would be fine. I am planning on getting the following:
      Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E  £199
      Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive - Black  £83
      Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black  £80
      GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming AMD Ryzen CPU AM4 Socket DDR4 PCIe Gen 3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard £91
      AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Desktop CPU - AM4/Hex Core/GHz/16MB/65W £180
    Any thought on this bundle, I am fairly sure thet are all compatible but I am not sure about the mobo or memory, not really sure what to look for, do they look ok?
    Second question, the psu on my old PC looks good but I am not entirely sure it will support the upgrade combo, to looks like a 600W PSU but I am not really sure. Can anyone tell from the picture if this PSU should bo ok for my upgraded system?

Link to Picture https://imgur.com/a/7cXMZ

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That PSU should be fine. Plenty of voltage on the 12v rails which is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Advertisement