Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland AGM 2017

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You needed to see the presentation on funding to understand why.

I'm assuming the loss of the likes of An Post sponsorship was part of this. Assuming Ciaran retained his position as President he still has a lot of "promises" on sponsorship to deliver (although I personally don't think there is enough money out there and made that point when he campaigned for his current position with this as one if his main manifesto items)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

From the above quoted Twitter account.

110 riders maximum in A4 only races, still too many imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You needed to see the presentation on funding to understand why.

It would have made alot of sense to have that info out when the motion was put out though. I suspect alot of clubs gave their reps a free vote if swayed by the points but it really is something that should have been out in public a month or two before hand. i suspect there are reasons it was not, as alluded to in other posts.

Also the A4 needing a years LC license before getting an A4 was never really going to go through, much like the idea of some sort of training. There was no meat on the motions regarding to this, and without specifics, I couldn't see it going ahead as all it was really doing was moving responsibility away from CI and onto already pressurised local leagues.

Have to say I am happy with the restriction to race fields for A4, might come down a bit more next year after a years practice, although I suspect they will have to increase race fees for some clubs to be interested in running A4 races going forward from 2019.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

morana wrote: »
    Road Racing March start...no racing in Feb
    https://twitter.com/gerardcam/status/929366190190972928

Myself and one other voice against this motion at my clubs AGM so we voted for it, but I still don't see the point. People saying about moving races out to the quieter end of the season? It is quiet because it is holiday season and kids are off, and people are out of the country and it is far harder to get a group of people to run something together. The weather, from memory, is as bad in March as it is in February, all you are really going to see is the pandemonium moved out a month. If there is bad weather in March, we lose one and a half months rather than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CramCycle wrote: »
    It would have made alot of sense to have that info out when the motion was put out though. I suspect alot of clubs gave their reps a free vote if swayed by the points but it really is something that should have been out in public a month or two before hand. i suspect there are reasons it was not, as alluded to in other posts.
    that was what I commented that the information should have been out for club agms to discuss.

But I thought the presentation was one sided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Regardless of where anyone stands on any decisions etc reached at AGM today,i feel it was a really good meeting with lots of stuff [not perfect] thrashed out.Lots of frank discussion re various items particularly re the licence fee..Good input too from the rep from the insurance brokers..Claims more than premium equals increase..

Will a full list of motions passed be issued at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

wav1 wrote: »
    Regardless of where anyone stands on any decisions etc reached at AGM today,i feel it was a really good meeting with lots of stuff [not perfect] thrashed out.Lots of frank discussion re various items particularly re the licence fee..Good input too from the rep from the insurance brokers..Claims more than premium equals increase..
    So the premium increased by €295,000 (29,500 x €10) for 2018? It was €261,227 in 2016, €251,742 in 2015 and €205,238 in 2014. So the premium has effectively doubled when the new increase is added.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

An word on reducing A3 points for upgrade from A4?

• Advertisement

Found this on Facebook, looks like I'm A3 now which I'm devasted with tbh, really wanted to start 2018 as A4.

Main Points from CI AGM. (from my own interpretation, some things are likely missing and open to correction)

• It was a long long day 11:00 – 18:00
    Ger Campbell could do with resting his voice after representing the Road Commission so well today.
    • Insurance Brokers gave a great presentation clarifying the unanswered Insurance questions we ask every year. Presentation to be made available to club secretaries. Premium to increase by €104,000 for 2018. Previous three years saw insurance claim payouts greater than the premium paid by CI.
    • Most Licence Fees will increase by no more than €10 in 2018. This is to cover the increase in insurance with a commitment from Finance & Audit Committee that any surplus will be ringfenced for investment into the Commissions developing the sport.
    • Ciarán McKenna re-instated as President
    • John Horgan completes his 6 year term on the Board
    • Ronan Mcaughlin has taken up Horgans position
    • Anthony Mitchell returned to his position
    • Eugene Moriarty and Gillian McDarby confirmed as directors
    BMX Ireland as a Commission mentioned for special praise for their ambition and proactive approach to developing the discipline and achieving so much. Courtown BMX featured in a coaching video showing the development of the club from a coaching perspective.
    • Youth National Championship winners will get to wear a National Champions jersey in the next category for the following season.
    • In Youth races it will be mandatory to offer a minimum 1st, 2nd, 3rd place prizes to both youth men and youth women in each age category
    • Youth riders may only compete in their own age group
    • Riders may not revert back to an original club if they have competed at a National Championship for a second club in any one season
    • Road Race season will not commence before the first Saturday in March
    • Established race date protection will be confined to events within the same province
    • Masters 50 and Womens events will remain as part of a league
    • Provincial Executives have the authority to govern their own provincial championships with respect to excluding themselves from minimum participation numbers. A Provincial Champions jersey may also be awarded but can only be worn at events in that discipline and in that province
    • From 2019 a Safety Person must form part of a club committee. 2018 will allow for appropriate training of volunteers for the roles within their clubs by Cycling Ireland. New clubs will initially be vetted by the Provincial Executive before recommending/rejecting the application to CI.
    • National Cyclo Cross Championships will be rotated throughout the provinces in the order of Leinster (2018), Munster (2019), Connacht (2020), Ulster (2021)
    • Minimum entry for Senior Female National Championships is reduced to 6
    • One Event Licences for Open Road races will no longer exist. They will still exists for volunteers or other certain events.
    • For service cars in Road Races, the driver must be licenced by the National Federation and accompanied by another competent person. The Commissaire may at his discretion allow a vehicle in excess of the minimum height or motorcycle service vehicle to follow at the rear of the cavalcade.
    • A4’s require 13 points to be upgraded to A3. Those on 13 points or more from 2017 will be automatically upgraded for 2018
    • A3’s require 15 points to be upgraded to A2
    • A2’s require 15 points to be upgraded to A1. A2’s with less than 15 points at the end of a season will carry forward 50% of their total into the following season.
    • A1’s may apply to the National Grading Officer for downgrade to A2 with 5 points if they fail to meet a minimum of 6 points as an A1.
    • Championship Bundles have been amended. The June Championships are now Senior Mens RR, Senior Womens RR , Junior Mens RR, Junior Womens RR. The TT Championships are now Paracycling, Senior Womens TT, Senior Mens TT, Junior Mens TT, Junior Womens TT.
    • Master RR Championships and TT Championships will move to the other championship bundle weekend (subject agreement I would imagine from the organisers).
    • A4 races are limited to a maximum of 110 riders
    • 1st year junior graded as A3. If they obtain 60 points – May be upgraded to A2
    • 2nd year juniors will start season as A3 even if upgraded to A2 as 1st year junior
    • 2nd year juniors obtaining 30 points may be upgraded to A2.
    • 2nd year junior then 1st year senior will be A3 with zero points even if upgraded to A2 as 2nd year junior
    • 2nd year Juniors with 50 points or more may apply for a higher grade as 1st year senior
    • Recommendation that frame numbers are issued with back numbers on a trial basis for 2018
    • Recommendation that Championship jerseys introduced for youth champions in Off Road disciplines XC-DH-CX
    • Recommendation that a review is conducted on the handling of ICE contact details at events with regard to data protection and best use of medical information supplied on the CI website licencing platform
    • Recommendation that a working group is established to analysis participation numbers in Road Racing and produce a set of proposals towards maximum competition numbers for various types of events.
    • Recommendation One event licences (no longer for Open Road Races) are purchased via CI website or smartphone application. A receipt of proof of purchase will be e-mailed and this will allow for sign on at an event.
    • Recommendation CI social Media Policy is publicised more for all members to discourage negative behaviour online in a cycling related context
    • Recommendation the Medical Committee launch an awareness campaign for members surrounding the dangers of concussion
    • Recommendation that an Event Management Plan template is produced for all completion by the organisers of all Cycling Ireland events to enhance the quality of event organisation across the board.
    • Recommendation all 4 Provincial Road Race Championships will take place on the same day in 2018 (August 26th)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't suppose anyone put a motion to get them to stop playing along with the RSA's victim-blaming hi-viz nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Junior RR champs on the same weekend as the Elite champs... In the middle of the leaving cert!! What bright-spark thought that would be a good idea?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just home after nipping in to work on the way home long day !

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

dahat wrote: »
    • Insurance Brokers gave a great presentation clarifying the unanswered Insurance questions we ask every year. Presentation to be made available to club secretaries. Premium to increase by €104,000 for 2018. Previous three years saw insurance claim payouts greater than the premium paid by CI.
    • Most Licence Fees will increase by no more than €10 in 2018. This is to cover the increase in insurance with a commitment from Finance & Audit Committee that any surplus will be ringfenced for investment into the Commissions developing the sport
    Any surplus? €295,000-€104,000 = €191,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

dahat wrote: »
    Found this on Facebook, looks like I'm A3 now which I'm devasted with tbh, really wanted to start 2018 as A4.

Main Points from CI AGM. (from my own interpretation, some things are likely missing and open to correction)

• It was a long long day 11:00 – 18:00
    Ger Campbell could do with resting his voice after representing the Road Commission so well today.
    • Most Licence Fees will increase by no more than €10 in 2018. This is to cover the increase in insurance with a commitment from Finance & Audit Committee that any surplus will be ringfenced for investment into the Commissions developing the sport.
    • Ciarán McKenna re-instated as President
    • John Horgan completes his 6 year term on the Board
    • Ronan Mcaughlin has taken up Horgans position
    • Anthony Mitchell returned to his position
    • Eugene Moriarty and Gillian McDarby confirmed as directors
    BMX Ireland as a Commission mentioned for special praise for their ambition and proactive approach to developing the discipline and achieving so much. Courtown BMX featured in a coaching video showing the development of the club from a coaching perspective.
    • Youth National Championship winners will get to wear a National Champions jersey in the next category for the following season.
    • In Youth races it will be mandatory to offer a minimum 1st, 2nd, 3rd place prizes to both youth men and youth women in each age category
    • Youth riders may only compete in their own age group
    • Riders may not revert back to an original club if they have competed at a National Championship for a second club in any one season
    • Road Race season will not commence before the first Saturday in March
    • Established race date protection will be confined to events within the same province
    • Masters 50 and Womens events will remain as part of a league
    • Provincial Executives have the authority to govern their own provincial championships with respect to excluding themselves from minimum participation numbers. A Provincial Champions jersey may also be awarded but can only be worn at events in that discipline and in that province
    • From 2019 a Safety Person must form part of a club committee. 2018 will allow for appropriate training of volunteers for the roles within their clubs by Cycling Ireland. New clubs will initially be vetted by the Provincial Executive before recommending/rejecting the application to CI.
    • National Cyclo Cross Championships will be rotated throughout the provinces in the order of Leinster (2018), Munster (2019), Connacht (2020), Ulster (2021)
    • Minimum entry for Senior Female National Championships is reduced to 6
    • One Event Licences for Open Road races will no longer exist. They will still exists for volunteers or other certain events.
    • For service cars in Road Races, the driver must be licenced by the National Federation and accompanied by another competent person. The Commissaire may at his discretion allow a vehicle in excess of the minimum height or motorcycle service vehicle to follow at the rear of the cavalcade.
    • A4’s require 13 points to be upgraded to A3. Those on 13 points or more from 2017 will be automatically upgraded for 2018
    • A3’s require 15 points to be upgraded to A2
    • A2’s require 15 points to be upgraded to A1. A2’s with less than 15 points at the end of a season will carry forward 50% of their total into the following season.
    • A1’s may apply to the National Grading Officer for downgrade to A2 with 5 points if they fail to meet a minimum of 6 points as an A1.
    • Championship Bundles have been amended. The June Championships are now Senior Mens RR, Senior Womens RR , Junior Mens RR, Junior Womens RR. The TT Championships are now Paracycling, Senior Womens TT, Senior Mens TT, Junior Mens TT, Junior Womens TT.
    • Master RR Championships and TT Championships will move to the other championship bundle weekend (subject agreement I would imagine from the organisers).
    • A4 races are limited to a maximum of 110 riders
    • 1st year junior graded as A3. If they obtain 60 points – May be upgraded to A2
    • 2nd year juniors will start season as A3 even if upgraded to A2 as 1st year junior
    • 2nd year juniors obtaining 30 points may be upgraded to A2.
    • 2nd year junior then 1st year senior will be A3 with zero points even if upgraded to A2 as 2nd year junior
    • 2nd year Juniors with 50 points or more may apply for a higher grade as 1st year senior
    • Recommendation that frame numbers are issued with back numbers on a trial basis for 2018
    • Recommendation that Championship jerseys introduced for youth champions in Off Road disciplines XC-DH-CX
    • Recommendation that a review is conducted on the handling of ICE contact details at events with regard to data protection and best use of medical information supplied on the CI website licencing platform
    • Recommendation that a working group is established to analysis participation numbers in Road Racing and produce a set of proposals towards maximum competition numbers for various types of events.
    • Recommendation One event licences (no longer for Open Road Races) are purchased via CI website or smartphone application. A receipt of proof of purchase will be e-mailed and this will allow for sign on at an event.
    • Recommendation CI social Media Policy is publicised more for all members to discourage negative behaviour online in a cycling related context
    • Recommendation the Medical Committee launch an awareness campaign for members surrounding the dangers of concussion
    • Recommendation that an Event Management Plan template is produced for all completion by the organisers of all Cycling Ireland events to enhance the quality of event organisation across the board.
    • Recommendation all 4 Provincial Road Race Championships will take place on the same day in 2018 (August 26th)

Hopefully they'll see sense and change the Junior Nationals from proposed date with maybe the masters or at least the M40's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

No more one day licences for open racing?
    Was the motion on minimum length A4 races carried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Did jack Watson step down? his term was up also (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

royrogers wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll see sense and change the Junior Nationals from proposed date with maybe the masters or at least the M40's

'THEY' decided after a very long and balanced debate, during which the issue of school exams was mentioned a number of times. 'THEY' included people involved in managing junior riders and race promoters/officials and other interested parties. I would admit that it might not sound ideal but as mentioned at the meeting, UCI points are a relevant factor in the date for national champs so let's be clear- these proposals and changes didn'the just blow out of somebodys ar** on the day. Much more complexity and related factors in coming to the final decision.

As AGMs go it wasn't too bad actually- quote of the day goes to El Presidente who brilliantly rebuked a well-known contributor by saying 'you had your opportunity to keep silent'

Plastik wrote: »
    No more one day licences for open racing?
    Was the motion on minimum length A4 races carried?

Withdrawn. Thankfully.
    And no one day licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Mugser wrote: »
    Junior RR champs on the same weekend as the Elite champs... In the middle of the leaving cert!! What bright-spark thought that would be a good idea?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Is the leaving cert that late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

JK.BMC wrote: »
    'THEY' decided after a very long and balanced debate, during which the issue of school exams was mentioned a number of times. 'THEY' included people involved in managing junior riders and race promoters/officials and other interested parties. I would admit that it might not sound ideal but as mentioned at the meeting, UCI points are a relevant factor in the date for national champs so let's be clear- these proposals and changes didn'the just blow out of somebodys ar** on the day. Much more complexity and related factors in coming to the final decision.

As AGMs go it wasn't too bad actually- quote of the day goes to El Presidente who brilliantly rebuked a well-known contributor by saying 'you had your opportunity to keep silent'

I say **** the juniors as a disgruntled m40. Trying to maintain the same form for champs as earlier for big spring races will be a nightmare, purely based on it being hard enough to compete and recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

cornet wrote: »
    Any surplus? €295,000-€104,000 = €191,000.

Very simplistic view of the figures.
    Insurance has been increasing dramatically over the past few years and this is due, among other things, to the level of claims from the membership. Not just the racing membership I hasten to add.
    There has been no increase in funds to account for this rise in insurance costs so an increase in licence fees seemed the most efficient and logical method of raising the required cash.

The situation is quite stark and was adequately explained by a representative of the insurance brokers in his address to the AGM.
    The extra licence fees forecasted will hopefully address the insurance cost increase for 2018 and perhaps go some way to negate the losses of the previous few years.

No surplus that I heard of but maybe I dozed off for a few minutes.
    Was a surplus actually mentioned by a contributor at AGM or is this hearsay?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

So they want the regional/provincial champs on the same weekend as the national track championships? Ffs :rolleyes:

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Mugser wrote: »
    Is the leaving cert that late?

All this palaver about the Leaving Cert is a bit misleading- exams start the Wednesday after the June Bank Holiday and continue up to the Thursday before National Champs weekend; yes this might affect some juniors to some degree but in reality they will have the bulk of exams finished in the first 7-8 days; also the reality of life is that we all need to balance work/life/sport/training etc so it might be no real harm in the long run.

Sometimes I feel a lot better in a key race if I have had a good tapering beforehand ie just ease off and not focus too hard in the week or two before; it's a long time since I was a junior but this hooo-haaaaa will die down eventually. The juniors will still be competitive and they will still be whupping the A3s in the run up to it anyway.

morana wrote: »
    Did jack Watson step down? his term was up also (i think)
    No..He is in the middle of a term.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    All this palaver about the Leaving Cert is a bit misleading- exams start the Wednesday after the June Bank Holiday and continue up to the Thursday before National Champs weekend; yes this might affect some juniors to some degree but in reality they will have the bulk of exams finished in the first 7-8 days; also the reality of life is that we all need to balance work/life/sport/training etc so it might be no real harm in the long run.

Sometimes I feel a lot better in a key race if I have had a good tapering beforehand ie just ease off and not focus too hard in the week or two before; it's a long time since I was a junior but this hooo-haaaaa will die down eventually. The juniors will still be competitive and they will still be whupping the A3s in the run up to it anyway.
    Yes,and Nat Champs weekend is to be a week later in 2018 [as set by UCI]
    Sun July 1st is the date of Elite and U23 R/R Champs.

After endless debate here and on other forums re insurance cover,probably the most reassuring 10 second statement from the insurance broker was ''when you put on lycra and leave your garage to cycle you are covered'' that should put to bed a lot of discussion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Probably should add that to the FAQ here given how often it arises.

• Advertisement

Let's hope they put the brokers presentation and the price increase justification on the Web as they were asked.
    I think people would be suprised at the claim levels I know I was.

Advertisement