Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland AGM 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Probably should add that to the FAQ here given how often it arises.

I would hold off on that.
    The words of a broker may not bind an underwriter to a contract. A bokers presentation is a sales pitch & he/she is making a pitch. It is good news that this was stated but it should be clarified in any documentation which CI should then make available to members.

Thanks for all the clarification by people who attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i still don't get the insurance thing for non racers who already have private medical cover, are we not double covering in these cases?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

manafana wrote: »
    i still don't get the insurance thing for non racers who already have private medical cover, are we not double covering in these cases?
    There's plenty of stuff you would not get under PHI. In my case I claimed what I could on the PHI and still had €2,500 to claim under the CI insurance (and another €1k or more of other costs I paid myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

manafana wrote: »

Two or more policies will not pay out for the same thing. The cover onnthe most specific policy must be exhausted before the second one kicks in for anything over and above the payout under the first policy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don’t know about you but my Laya doesn’t provide third party cover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same here, 3rd party would be the biggest benefit for me as my PHI would have better cover and a smaller excess in most cases. Thankfully never had to call it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Was there any mention of the Leisure Commission ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can an A3 look to downgrade to A4 for 2019 if he has no pts for the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

wav1 wrote: »
    After endless debate here and on other forums re insurance cover,probably the most reassuring 10 second statement from the insurance broker was ''when you put on lycra and leave your garage to cycle you are covered'' that should put to bed a lot of discussion.

What if you don't put on lycra!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

I quoted an email earlier in this thread that I got from CI over insurance for leisure cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

greenspurs wrote: »
    Was there any mention of the Leisure Commission ?

Very Little

I heard that something like 120 people expressed interest in it, then in the next breath it appears that somebody has been appointed to the CI board with responsibility for Leisure. Not sure of the details, the who's, whys etc
    But that was about it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

dahat wrote: »
    Can an A3 look to downgrade to A4 for 2019 if he has no pts for the season?

No, bar a very special case put forward in writing, such as years away from the sport, illness etc. Thats all I have ever heard of.

They do get put into A4 with points so its not long before your out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Very Little

I heard that something like 120 people expressed interest in it, then in the next breath it appears that somebody has been appointed to the CI board with responsibility for Leisure. Not sure of the details, the who's, whys etc

The reply i got after i had submitted my interest :

"Thank you for your email expressing interest in the Cycling Ireland Leisure Commission.
    We have had a huge response with 128 replies spread across all 4 provinces.

Please allow some time as we work through this and we will be in contact in due course.

Regards, "

That was recieved on Oct 20th .
    Surely they didnt appoint someone without notifying all those that enquired ? Surely not....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Very Little

each board member has a commission they liaise with. So one of them would be the liasion officer for leisure. they wouldn't be doing the comm's work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Some sight..The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

greenspurs wrote: »
    Very Little

The reply i got after i had submitted my interest :

"Thank you for your email expressing interest in the Cycling Ireland Leisure Commission.
    We have had a huge response with 128 replies spread across all 4 provinces.

Please allow some time as we work through this and we will be in contact in due course.

Regards, "

That was recieved on Oct 20th .
    Surely they didnt appoint someone without notifying all those that enquired ? Surely not....

Sounds like they did. Beyond that I don't know. Maybe there is a good reason for it all. Anyway- a leisure commission must surely be in the pipeline

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don’t know about you but my Laya doesn’t provide third party cover.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, 3rd party would be the biggest benefit for me as my PHI would have better cover and a smaller excess in most cases. Thankfully never had to call it in.
    It will be interesting to see what clarification CI puts on the website, as the comments made by the broker may only apply to personal accident cover, as this is essentially something that CI can manage itself. The underwriters will take a lot more interest in 3rd party cover as the claim potential is astronomical

The current wording on the website is
    "This insurance will cover you when you are out training or taking part in approved Cycling Ireland events", and I'm sure any underwriters would want to verify what "training" was taking place in the case of a 3rd party claim

Of course, opening up the personal accident cover like this may well increase claims further which could result in more premium increases...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

full presentations available now on cycling ireland website if anyones interested

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/2017-agm-summary/8799

full presentations available now on cycling ireland website if anyones interested

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/2017-agm-summary/8799
    I e-mailed them as they had indicated it would go up at the time of the AGM. They sent me a hard copy anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So going forward, if a club mate takes you down during training, your not covered is my reading but if you hit the ground of your own freewill, you are covered? Have I got that right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So going forward, if a club mate takes you down during training, your not covered is my reading but if you hit the ground of your own freewill, you are covered? Have I got that right

i think thats it, suprising as most organisations ive ever been in have clauses about not sueing other members of the organisation

I think it's only 3rd party cover - you should still get personal accident/medical cover, albeit with a €500 excess

Just on the wider point of pushing up membership fees because of insurance, I was flicking through the accounts last night. They are showing a small surplus for 2016, but are forecasting a surplus of over 200 grand this year. I therefore think it's a bit disingenuous to blame accident claims for the fee increase. Indeed I suspect those claims may be dropping a bit because of the €500 excess introduced this year.

I also suspect they need additional funding for other projects, including the velodrome. I would have preferred them to be open about it if it is the case, but would speculate that perhaps they feared another backlash if they could not put the "blame" of the increase across all categories of membership

I know CI staff will read this, and if they have an alternative explanation, or want to defend themselves, they know who I am and I would happily be corrected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That insurance presentation looks like it were done by a complete amateur. It's awful. Undoubtedly they know what they are talking about, but still

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Jaysus if we are suing each other on club cycles we need to take up another sport

benneca1 wrote: »
    Jaysus if we are suing each other on club cycles we need to take up another sport
    Why do you think cyclists would be different to other sections of the community? If you suffered a serious injury through the negligence of someone else of course you have the right to make a claim against the "perpetrator". You do not waive your rights under domestic law because you are a member of a cycling club

This is the type of comment that makes me despair. There are two types of cyclists those that have had a spill and those that will. If i am in a group and someone clips my wheel and brings me down ill give him her a bollicking but sue Never. God i hope i never meet you on a cycle ive been at this for 50 years and such utter bollix ive never heard. HTFU or take up a low risk sport like lawn bowls. Good God what claptrap

This is the type of comment that makes me despair. There are two types of cyclists those that have had a spill and those that will. If i am in a group and someone clips my wheel and brings me down ill give him her a bollicking but sue Never. God i hope i never meet you on a cycle ive been at this for 50 years and such utter bollix ive never heard. HTFU or take up a low risk sport like lawn bowls. Good God what claptrap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Weepsie wrote: »
    That insurance presentation looks like it were done by a complete amateur. It's awful. Undoubtedly they know what they are talking about, but still

Aye just had a read, shockingly bad ppt for any business to put together.

• Advertisement

benneca1 wrote: »
    So by that logic are you suggesting I should not seek recompense from a driver that rammed into the back of my car twice last year then fled the scene leaving me with permanent damage to my back (which was already in a pretty bad state), and only able to complete one lap of one road race all year

Cycling Ireland membership does not absolve you of negligence or deliberate and malicious attacks on other cyclists. I am not suggesting there are many occurences of such behaviour, but I'm fully aware of negligent behaviour by some cyclists that can put other cyclists in danger. I am not talking an innocent clipping of a wheel, but I know plenty of cyclists who have a temper on them and could in some circumstances take some rash and negligent action that may result in injuries to another party

Now I myself suffered significant and lasting injury in a racing accident a few years ago. It was a racing incident (even though I have no recollection having suffered a traumatic brain injury, but the people who I spoke to who had witnessed it were of that view). It never crossed my mind to search out anyone to pursue any kind of claim (if I could have pursued any claim, based on my injuries I have little doubt that damages would have run into the hundreds of thousands). However if someone had deliberately forced me off a bike for any reason I would certainly consider a claim particularly if I had suffered the scale of injury I suffered 3 and a half years ago.

Call it claptrap if you like, but I live in a modern world where people are expected to accept responsibility for their actions.

Advertisement