Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a simple paint app for a child

Options
  • 21-09-2017 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭

My little girl is 3 and we are taking our first foreign holiday with her at the weekend.

She hasnt ever really used an ipad yet, but in ikea she had great fun playing with a touch screen paint thing. Pretty basic you select a colour and then you draw with it

can anyone recommend something similar on ios?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Afraid not. My kids use paper and paint/crayons/pencils etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

goz83 wrote: »
    Afraid not. My kids use paper and paint/crayons/pencils etc.

Thanks for taking the time to post this You must be delighted with yourself

Cyrus wrote: »

Seeing 2 and 3 year olds glued to ipads and phones makes me the opposite of "delighted". But sure whatever makes life easier for you, right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Seeing 2 and 3 year olds glued to ipads and phones makes me the opposite of "delighted". But sure whatever makes life easier for you, right? :rolleyes:
    Have you even got kids or are your just trolling? You do not sound like a parent. The future is tablets. Embrace change. You afraid kids will go square eyed from being to close (o:

You didn’t even read the post in full then did you she is the opposite of glued to a phone or an iPad but don’t let that get in the way of you being a sanctimonious knob :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Doodle Fun on my iPhone to keep my 5yr old entertained on flights etc etc

It's very basic and she should be able to manage it fine. You may need to help her change the colours but for doodling it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Doodlecast by Sago Mini is a lovely app for that age group. It also has a feature to record the child's voice while they're drawing which makes a nice keepsake!

You didn’t even read the post in full then did you she is the opposite of glued to a phone or an iPad but don’t let that get in the way of you being a sanctimonious knob :D

Less with personal attacks!! My first post was clear enough, but you took it up as a jibe. I can’t recommend a paint app and my kids use crayons and pencils and paint....just like I said. It’s not hard to bring a couple of things along for them to colour with and I really don’t think it’s a good idea to have 3 year olds on phones and pads. It can very quickly become the go to thing when yiu want to keep them quiet.

Some parents have no problem allowing 2 year olds watch peppa pig on youtube all day, but I prefer that my kids have limited time on devices. While they will certainly use technology throughout their childhood and teenage years, they will gain nothing from most of the crap a lot of parents let their kids use on phones/pads. I’ve got kids aged from 1 to 14 and if it can be at all avoided, the phones, pads and playstations take a back seat and I try to do something that requires a bit of extra effort and time.

Less with personal attacks!! My first post was clear enough, but you took it up as a jibe. I can’t recommend a paint app and my kids use crayons and pencils and paint....just like I said. It’s not hard to bring a couple of things along for them to colour with and I really don’t think it’s a good idea to have 3 year olds on phones and pads. It can very quickly become the go to thing when yiu want to keep them quiet.

Some parents have no problem allowing 2 year olds watch peppa pig on youtube all day, but I prefer that my kids have limited time on devices. While they will certainly use technology throughout their childhood and teenage years, they will gain nothing from most of the crap a lot of parents let their kids use on phones/pads. I’ve got kids aged from 1 to 14 and if it can be at all avoided, the phones, pads and playstations take a back seat and I try to do something that requires a bit of extra effort and time.

Of course it was a jibe I asked about an app in the iOS part of the forum

Your answer was suited to ah or somewhere

Besides it was for the plane there isn’t the space and I’m sure paint isn’t allowed

Whatever you choose to raise your kids is your business but keep the snarky posts to the right parts of the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so, your kids do have Phones,iPad,PlayStation and play with them, your initial post implied otherwise, so you are just like the rest of us, kids have them occasionaly

So stop lecturing

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Of course it was a jibe I asked about an app in the iOS part of the forum

Your answer was suited to ah or somewhere

Besides it was for the plane there isn’t the space and I’m sure paint isn’t allowed

Whatever you choose to raise your kids is your business but keep the snarky posts to the right parts of the forum

OK, Let me be clear. It was NOT a jibe/insult/snarky comment....but if you want to take it as such, then that's your problem. You'd swear I was p1ssing on your carpet with the way you are carrying on. It was a subtle nudge in the "maybe you don't need to come on boards when the solution (or search function in the app store) is much simpler" comment.

Any plane I have ever been on has a little fold down table and my kids (the younger one anyway) always do some colouring on the plane. OK, it's not as neat and compact as a pad, but the low tech option has always worked perfectly fine. And I would have thought that paint wasn't allowed either, but last October we flew to Spain and my son had one of those sets where you wet the brush and dip into the paint. The air hostess was kind enough to give him a cup with water for his paint set. You might have a problem if you try to crack open a few dulux containers though.

The only "snarky" comment was in direct response your "snarky" comment...and then you became a not so sanctimonious knob. Perhaps consider in future if there might have been a harmless meaning to a post. You may just be aware that text does not always translate correctly to the reader. And had I not responded to your comment (which was more than 24 hours old) you likely would not have had a response at all with the info you were looking for. It's called bumping. Your welcome.
    so, your kids do have Phones,iPad,PlayStation and play with them, your initial post implied otherwise, so you are just like the rest of us, kids have them occasionaly

So stop lecturing

Yes, my kids do have devices, but I don't let them have devices when they are very young. I personally think it's lazy parenting to hand a kid a gaming device and just let them on it for hours at a time. And there are way too many "parents" who allow their kids to do that. It's one thing if a child is being distracted/entertained on a plane and it's a whole other ball game when it's a 2-3 year old sitting in a stroller with a passifier/bottle stuck in their mouth and an ipad in their hands.

There is no "rest of us" and we both know that the frequency of "occasionally" can vary from a few hours to a few months. But tbf, I know what you meant....because I didn't take your words literally...as some might have on here. :P

My own kids usually have a half hour gaming time per day and usually there are 2 or 3 of them playing the game together. I would call that regularly, but as the time is fairly short, I think it's healthy enough....particularly if you have a child with autism and ADHD where a routine is of utmost importance. Given the chance they would play on their devices all day.

OK, Let me be clear. It was NOT a jibe/insult/snarky comment....but if you want to take it as such, then that's your problem. You'd swear I was p1ssing on your carpet with the way you are carrying on. It was a subtle nudge in the "maybe you don't need to come on boards when the solution (or search function in the app store) is much simpler" comment.

Any plane I have ever been on has a little fold down table and my kids (the younger one anyway) always do some colouring on the plane. OK, it's not as neat and compact as a pad, but the low tech option has always worked perfectly fine. And I would have thought that paint wasn't allowed either, but last October we flew to Spain and my son had one of those sets where you wet the brush and dip into the paint. The air hostess was kind enough to give him a cup with water for his paint set. You might have a problem if you try to crack open a few dulux containers though.

The only "snarky" comment was in direct response your "snarky" comment...and then you became a not so sanctimonious knob. Perhaps consider in future if there might have been a harmless meaning to a post. You may just be aware that text does not always translate correctly to the reader. And had I not responded to your comment (which was more than 24 hours old) you likely would not have had a response at all with the info you were looking for. It's called bumping. Your welcome.

Yes, my kids do have devices, but I don't let them have devices when they are very young. I personally think it's lazy parenting to hand a kid a gaming device and just let them on it for hours at a time. And there are way too many "parents" who allow their kids to do that. It's one thing if a child is being distracted/entertained on a plane and it's a whole other ball game when it's a 2-3 year old sitting in a stroller with a passifier/bottle stuck in their mouth and an ipad in their hands.

There is no "rest of us" and we both know that the frequency of "occasionally" can vary from a few hours to a few months. But tbf, I know what you meant....because I didn't take your words literally...as some might have on here. :P

My own kids usually have a half hour gaming time per day and usually there are 2 or 3 of them playing the game together. I would call that regularly, but as the time is fairly short, I think it's healthy enough....particularly if you have a child with autism and ADHD where a routine is of utmost importance. Given the chance they would play on their devices all day.

I’m glad you got all that off your chest

I haven’t changed my mind about any your posts off the back of it .

You should go prepare your parent of the year speech maybe you appear to know it all

I’m glad you got all that off your chest

I haven’t changed my mind about any your posts off the back of it .

You should go prepare your parent of the year speech maybe you appear to know it all

You're obviously the smug type who likes to pick, b1tch and moan about everything. Everyone else is wrong. Go ahead, let your ipad be a parent to your kid. You're not that interested in much else than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

e31.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement