Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Beara 2018 (26-05-18)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

It’s expensive but a lovely cycle and well marshaled on the day plus good food / medal afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

A pity that it appears to clash with the Tour de Conamara again in 2018 as both are good events:

http://tourdeconamara.ie/save-date-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

dursey wrote: »
    General registration opens Tuesday 26th Sept, while previous entrants can enter the day before

Has gotten more expensive €65 + €4 booking fee, good event, not sure if it represents value for money

http://ringofbearacyclekenmare.com/time-come-ring-beara-back-2018/

Ya seems a bit saucy alright but it is a Great cycle. organisers have created a demand for it where other sportives are dropping off but wonder are they doing a ROK by inflating the price too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Few lads at work said the same, we're humming and hawing about registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

15 euro increase it seems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

can you transfer the presale registration? My friend did it last year and doesn't want to do it next year so he said he'd pass on the email to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Spudgun wrote: »
    can you transfer the presale registration? My friend did it last year and doesn't want to do it next year so he said he'd pass on the email to me

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

This is one i was thinking of for next year as I've heard goo things but €69 to partake in a sportive is daft money, is it a charity event?

I'd imagine many will be turned off by the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

With the Tour de Conamara on the same date these guys may be pricing themselves too high.

....quote
    The registration fee for the 2018 ŠKODA Tour de Conamara is €40 and includes jersey, pre event pasta party, goodie bag, post event massage, specially commissioned finishers medal and post event BBQ in Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just completed the registration, straight forward stuff. No Glengarriff start next time:confused:Thats our plan out the window. Kenmare it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Have done this spin a couple of times and whilst I have thoroughly enjoyed it, well organised, fantastic scenery, great atmosphere in Kenmare etc it's a shame to see that they have felt the need to up the entry fee again. Haven't done the ROK for a few years as that had become a money grabbing exercise, sincerely hope the Ring of Beara isn't going to end up the same. I won't be doing it this year.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Put a booking deposit on a house in Kenmare last night for 4 of us. Owner declined the booking and wants an extra €300. This on top of the steep entry fee is putiing me right off the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hesker wrote: »
    Put a booking deposit on a house in Kenmare last night for 4 of us. Owner declined the booking and wants an extra €300. This on top of the steep entry fee is putiing me right off the whole thing.

disgusting display of greed, vote with your pedals folks.

Noticed this price assurance note on the page:
    The cost of this year’s event is €65 plus €4 booking fee. The entry price covers all event costs, with all proceeds beyond this being donated to charity. This price is to remain fixed for the next three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

did the event last year- having completed the rebel tour the previous 2 years and i have to say it was a great sportive - lovely scenery and well run- however the price increase this year and the e4 booking fee - leaves a sour taste - if they maintain these price increases- they may ride it for a year or two before numbers will suffer- signed up today as have some friends doing it - but will be off the 2019 list at these prices.
    surprised they didn't have glengarriff as start point this year- but then they only added it at end last year when demand was high - however i started at glengarriff and it was poorly set up -there was only 2 of us there at the 830am start time / line -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

jamesd wrote: »
    It’s expensive but a lovely cycle and well marshaled on the day plus good food / medal afterwards.

For that price I assume its a 4 course meal for lunch and a gold medal.

Seriously though I can't believe people pay this money for these events when you can do the equivalent in Donegal for 20 Euro. Then how can more then that be justified, the mind boggles. If the roads where fully closed I'd see the attraction but these are open roads you can cycle 365 days a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Donegal bay sportive, best in the country 20 quid and fed and watered like a king.
    I know where I will be going.
    Oh and wolftrap also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For that price I assume its a 4 course meal for lunch and a gold medal.

Seriously though I can't believe people pay this money for these events when you can do the equivalent in Donegal for 20 Euro. Then how can more then that be justified, the mind boggles. If the roads where fully closed I'd see the attraction but these are open roads you can cycle 365 days a year?

65 is probably closer to the real cost of a well organised sportive; a well organised one for 20-30 is like that because of the countless volunteer hours and probably cheap/free facilities

Pay everyone minimum wage, pay for catering, signage etc and see how cheap it would work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Going to do the tour de Connemara this year for a change of scenery.

But have unfinished business with the ROB so will be back( want to get up that hill)

Keeping paying your 65 quid if your happy to do so.
    I prefer low key events and value for money.
    I have done many a sportive ranging from charity local 50kms to gran fondo x2 and mizen to malin x2.
    I have never done a better organised sportive than Donegal bay in april.
    Great club and gather behind it 110%
    Plus a very good sponsor of the event being a member also helps.

Each to their own.

Beara is pretty good ,so I have heard.
    Might get the route and do it for free some day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Keeping paying your 65 quid if your happy to do so.
    I prefer low key events and value for money.
    I have done many a sportive ranging from charity local 50kms to gran fondo x2 and mizen to malin x2.
    I have never done a better organised sportive than Donegal bay in april.
    Each to their own.
    Beara is pretty good ,so I have heard.
    Might get the route and do it for free some day.

I don't pay for any just pointing out why some can be good and cheap.

I'd bet my bottom dollar all those good low key events are on the back of countless volunteer hours

You can do Audax for a €5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

jon1981 wrote: »
    15 euro increase it seems?

I think it was €55 + fee last year. So probably €10 up.

Agree... bit saucey this year... but this will probably be my last year at it. This be my 4th so ' been there... done that'

ford2600 wrote: »
    I don't pay for any just pointing out why some can be good and cheap.

I'd bet my bottom dollar all those good low key events are on the back of countless volunteer hours

You can do Audax for a €5

all 50€ + sportives are on the back of countless volunteer hours also,support leveraged from local clubs.
    Difference being that the locally run events don't look for a 100/200% profit.
    I avoid commercial sportives and support the coffers of a cycling club who are invested in the locality.
    Again each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ford2600 wrote: »
    So do the big events - RoK is all volunteers at the food stops, water stops, registration etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Kenmare 140km start and finish on hold already?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Ring of beara is sold out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Kenmare 140km start and finish on hold already?

The 140 from start from kenmare was on hold early afternoon yesterday. Obviously huge interest in this event !

And that's all folks! Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ciaeim wrote: »
    Ring of beara is sold out !!

That was quick :eek:.

• Advertisement

75% of registrations were gone by 3pm yesterday so you can assume most of last years participants registered again.

Advertisement