Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addiction, a disease? or self inflicted?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a mixture of a lot of factors it does not fall in to the easy divide of either or. That does not suit a lot of people though they want the simple answer.

The is another larger issue going on and it similar with diagnoses of conductive disorders or the perceived over diagnostics of ASD. There is a moral judgement going on of the person or the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

To be honest I suppose what I've done is I've equated the word disease with blameless - which is not correct.

I suspect you are not alone in this. The fact blame and accountability has come up so much in this still short thread suggests that that move is one a lot of people are making.

I feel not only is it the wrong move to make, but an irrelevant one. There is simply no one out there who matters, like the medical industry for example, who are defining "disease" in terms of accountability or blame. It is just not happening.

Rather they define it in terms of A) How it manifests at the level of the body and brain and B) the treatment modalities that work on it.
    i'll withdraw my ill thought out comments entirely.

The fact you are considering and acknowledging my points and modifying your discourse in response rather negates your self depreciation of being "ill thought out". Looks to me, more than one or two I could name, that you are very much thinking it all out. That is, at least in my ideal fantasy, what a forum like this is for :) To think out loud, and have those thoughts evaluated and molded by the responses of others. We could do with a lot more of you :)
    I think, largely from personal experience, that to become an addict you must ignore quite a few warning signs. You simply can not become an addict without being complicit.

Read my post #42 (wohoo 42!) above on this one. I myself dodged the bullet of addiction. How close a shave it was I will never know, nor do I really want to know as it kinda terrifies me looking back on it.

But at no point during it did I ignore the warning signs. I was wholly and entirely and blatantly ignorant of them and blind to them. Looking back now I see them as clearly as I see the monitor I am now typing this into.

So I can understand how a person like yourself might not understand how a person with an addiction could miss those signs. I AM (or at least nearly was) that person.... and even I do not understand how I was missing them at the time. So how could I expect you to?

Retrospect is a powerful thing!

But if *I* can not understand how *I* was blind to the signs.......... I genuinely feel for people who never had that experience who are looking from the outside in at addicts and their behaviors. So while I know you are misled in your thinking here...... I genuinely have no tools to adequately convince you of it.
    When you get to the stage where you are prioritising the buzz of anything over relationships, work, normal everyday life - you need to ask yourself some tough questions. If you don't ask those questions that's not a disease, that's a choice.

But as the ASAM say, by the time you get to the point where such questions need to be asked you have what they are calling the "disease". A disease that has modified your behaviors, your reward mechanisms, your motivational hierarchies and more.

Not by ANY means intending to use an insulting phrase to actually BE insulting but it kinda is one of those "Check your privilege" style things. We WITH the capability, and fully functioning motivational hierarchies and so forth, find it very easy to say "They need to ask the hard questions" because we have that capability and privilege. They, in many ways, have had that faculty eroded and it is not mere choice that has them avoiding the questions, or at least the "right" answers to those questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its the world we live in these days for people to say its a disease so its not " there fault "
    Look life is tuff life is hard people have up and downs are born into worse situation than others , but its up to you as a person to take control of your life to steer your own ship and not get into the situation where addiction can become a problem ,
    Addictions come from the choices you make in your life, Even when bad situation happen people always have a choice on what way to tackle it, yes some are shocking situation and you can understand why people end up becoming addicts to alcohol or drugs but even those people had a moment where they decided what path to take , some times they change there mind but addiction already has a hold of them but i'm a firm believer Addiction comes from your own choices you make,
    Now I do understand there are rare cases where it's not the person fault , where there born into family where they know nothing else and addiction seems like normal life and other cases they don't have control off, but you get my drift,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

But as the ASAM say, by the time you get to the point where such questions need to be asked you have what they are calling the "disease". A disease that has modified your behaviors, your reward mechanisms, your motivational hierarchies and more.

Not by ANY means intending to use an insulting phrase to actually BE insulting but it kinda is one of those "Check your privilege" style things. We WITH the capability, and fully functioning motivational hierarchies and so forth, find it very easy to say "They need to ask the hard questions" because we have that capability and privilege. They, in many ways, have had that faculty eroded and it is not mere choice that has them avoiding the questions, or at least the "right" answers to those questions.

I agree with most of what you say but I'm just not convinced of this part. How is this a disease that has modified their behaviour and not just the normal hardwired pleasure / pain reward circuit of the brain doing it's thing, same as it does for all of us.
    Chocolate = feel good therefore eat more chocolate. We consciously have to learn too much chocolate = bad and force ourselves to override the compulsion to eat more of it. Leave a child alone and they'll likely eat it untill they puke!
    Replace chocolate with cocaine / alcohol / gambling - how is it any different?
    We could do with a lot more of you :).

I'm always telling people this.......you're the first to agree:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Some people are more prone to addictive behaviour than others. However, the whole 'disease' label for alcoholics and drug addicts is used as an exemption from any self awareness or responsibility.
    Also, there is always the big deal over how long they have been 'clean' for delivered with an attempted air of superiority. Most of us do not allow ourselves to fall that low in the first place but do not go around expecting rounds of applause for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Again a massive over simplification going on there. For many people there is no distinction between the two things on your list.

I was analysing the situation - therefore of course I'm going to simplifying it. No apologies there.

You are complicating things unnecessarily.

A junkie getting a fix for the umpteeth time is not the same as some dolt seeing somebody else shooting up and stupidly thinking - 'I'll give that a go'. They are very different processes. I think the latter is very much personal responsibility failure and nothing else.

As a further nail in the genetics coffin - I know so many first hand who totally avoided their parents' downfall deliberately. Including relations of my own.

Starting to take **** is NOT a disease. Thinking it is = self-delusion.

How is this a disease that has modified their behaviour and not just the normal hardwired pleasure / pain reward circuit of the brain doing it's thing, same as it does for all of us.

Because it is more than just the pleasure responses of the brain in play. Other areas are affected too. Perhaps a more copious amount of quotation from ASAM, rather than my select quoting, is warranted here. I will include it at the end of this post due to it's length.

But suffice to say / TLDR........ the modifications they are suggesting are occurring are slow, cyclical, iterative, and encompass a lot more than merely the reward centers. Rather they impact entire behavior modules, including those of decision making, self care, and more.

So it gets massively more complex than "X feels good = I want more of X".

Further these people generally do not LEAP from moderate use to crazy over use. Rather in a slow iterative process they simply need a tiny bit more.... then a tiny bit more...... to merely get to the SAME level of satisfaction.

If it were a case they were jumping from a glass of wine to a bottle of whisky a day..... I doubt there would be many addicts. They would recognize that "enough / too much" divide of which you speak. But it rarely happens that way. It is much slower, with each increase being so moderate that the person themselves fails to rate the relevance of it.

In my own case, when I avoided falling into the pit of addiction I was so close to falling into, I progressed over a period of 7 and a half years from a beer once a week on a friday......... to 4 and sometimes even 5 1 liter bottles of wine once a week on a friday. To you, and even to me NOW, that is insane. How I did not notice "Hang on, this is an issue" makes no sense to me now. In fact I now believe the only thing that stopped me being addicted, was that I did only ever drink on a friday. Had it been multiple nights a week....... well I dont wanna think about it :)

But in the moment(s) each increase was so small it is like those times where you look at your finger nails and go "Crap when did THEY get so long, I did not notice AT ALL". Each increase genuinely seems meaningless and irrelevant in the moment.
    I'm always telling people this.......you're the first to agree:D

Well I am not suggesting a direct cloning program here or anything :p At least not one without the potential for some beneficial modifications to the template :D

Long Definition of Addiction:
    Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Addiction affects neurotransmission and interactions within reward structures of the brain, including the nucleus accumbens, anterior cingulate cortex, basal forebrain and amygdala, such that motivational hierarchies are altered and addictive behaviors, which may or may not include alcohol and other drug use, supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors. Addiction also affects neurotransmission and interactions between cortical and hippocampal circuits and brain reward structures, such that the memory of previous exposures to rewards (such as food, sex, alcohol and other drugs) leads to a biological and behavioral response to external cues, in turn triggering craving and/or engagement in addictive behaviors.

The neurobiology of addiction encompasses more than the neurochemistry of reward.1 The frontal cortex of the brain and underlying white matter connections between the frontal cortex and circuits of reward, motivation and memory are fundamental in the manifestations of altered impulse control, altered judgment, and the dysfunctional pursuit of rewards (which is often experienced by the affected person as a desire to “be normal”) seen in addiction--despite cumulative adverse consequences experienced from engagement in substance use and other addictive behaviors. The frontal lobes are important in inhibiting impulsivity and in assisting individuals to appropriately delay gratification. When persons with addiction manifest problems in deferring gratification, there is a neurological locus of these problems in the frontal cortex. Frontal lobe morphology, connectivity and functioning are still in the process of maturation during adolescence and young adulthood, and early exposure to substance use is another significant factor in the development of addiction. Many neuroscientists believe that developmental morphology is the basis that makes early-life exposure to substances such an important factor.

Genetic factors account for about half of the likelihood that an individual will develop addiction. Environmental factors interact with the person’s biology and affect the extent to which genetic factors exert their influence. Resiliencies the individual acquires (through parenting or later life experiences) can affect the extent to which genetic predispositions lead to the behavioral and other manifestations of addiction. Culture also plays a role in how addiction becomes actualized in persons with biological vulnerabilities to the development of addiction.

topper75 wrote: »
    You are complicating things unnecessarily.

Quite the opposite. Addiction is, for many, a complex thing both in terms of the level of behavior, and at the level of the body and brain. Describing it as it is is not complicating it unnecessarily..... rather it is being informed about it necessarily.
    A junkie getting a fix for the umpteeth time is not the same as some dolt seeing somebody else shooting up and stupidly thinking - 'I'll give that a go'.

Yet that is what a large % of us actually do. We grow up watching people getting pissed out of their heads and then we reach an age where we think "Ill give that a go".

When it comes to intravenous drugs however I doubt many people are introduced to it by watching others do it and "giving it a go". More often I think they are invited to do it by a trusted peer or friend in a "lets do this together" kind of way, rather than a "I see what you are doing, and I want to do it too" kinda way.
    As a further nail in the genetics coffin - I know so many first hand who totally avoided their parents' downfall deliberately. Including relations of my own.

That would be a misunderstanding of genetics there though, and a big one at that. A trait being genetic does not guarantee that an off spring will have it. So if part of their parents downfall had a genetic basis......... their avoiding of that same downfall COULD in part be due to them not having the same genetic issue.

It is a common lay man mistake, the fault of our education system and not yours, that something being genetic means that the parents having it means the children should or will too.

So no, your personal anecdotes do not at all undermine the genetic basis for addiction, let alone to the point of bringing coffins into it. Genetics simply does. not. work. that. way.

Read the paragraph about genetics in the citation just above this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have seen what addiction can do to people and its far from pretty. I'm no scientist so my ideas are based purely on observation.

When someone destroys their life to the point they lose their family and their job and they still can't improve then something out of the ordinary is at play. Logic/common sense/wjatever you want to call it would suggest you sort yourself out. If, however, you continue doing something that is destroying your life then you need help as you obviously can't do it on your own, its just not in your nature for whatever reason.

While addicts can be incredibly selfish and ignorant of other people's feelings, I believe this is a symptom rather than the cause.

From the addicts I know, a lot seemes to stem from a deeper unhappiness and not knowing how to deal with it. People aren't perfect, there are plenty of people out there with mental health issues abd who just can't deal as easily with life. Some of this shows itself in the form of addictions.

These people need help, not judgement. Sure, it's not nice to see addicts deterioriate as people and turn to crime in extreme cases but it is a symptom of addiction, not them using addiction as a cloak. At the end of the day, they need help because they can't cope with what life has given them.

If a lack of some abstract quality that is something you can't grab on to while a lot of other people seem to have can be considered a disease, then I'd say it's a disease. However, most importantly is that these people need help and sympathy because addiction turns them in to ugly people, they weren't ugly to begin with, life just ****ed them over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

annascott wrote: »
    Some people are more prone to addictive behaviour than others. However, the whole 'disease' label for alcoholics and drug addicts is used as an exemption from any self awareness or responsibility.  
    Also, there is always the big deal over how long they have been 'clean' for delivered with an attempted air of superiority.   Most of us do not allow ourselves to fall that low in the first place but do not go around expecting rounds of applause for it.
    I total agree with this and iv had a family member die from addiction ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Some of you may have heard the recent podcast on 98FM, where a woman came onto the radio sharing her story that she was a recovering drug addict, and that addiction IS infact a disease, apparently 'physical, spiritual and mentally'

Same as myself, the presenter Adrian was disgusted that she was trying to compare a self inflicted drug addiction (whether over years or months) was the same as let's say a stroke, or cancer, etc.

What does everybody think of this?

I'd certainly argue that addiction is an illness, but purely a mental one; where as cancer is a physical illness.

Like a lot if illnesses, though, what starts out as physical can effect your mental health as well, and vice versa.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Long Definition of Addiction:
    Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of
    brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Addiction affects
    neurotransmission and interactions within reward structures of the brain,
    including the nucleus accumbens, anterior cingulate cortex, basal forebrain and
    amygdala, such that motivational hierarchies are altered and addictive
    behaviors, which may or may not include alcohol and other drug use, supplant
    healthy, self-care related behaviors. Addiction also affects neurotransmission
    and interactions between cortical and hippocampal circuits and brain reward
    structures, such that the memory of previous exposures to rewards (such as food,
    sex, alcohol and other drugs) leads to a biological and behavioral response to
    external cues, in turn triggering craving and/or engagement in addictive
    behaviors.

Other than the part that says "is a chronic disease" - what differentiates this from how the brain handles any other behaviour? Do it - like it - want to do it again? What I'm asking is, it says "is a chronic disease" but what actually makes it one?

How is this not just a stronger (maybe even much stronger) response than the average, but still just the same basic mechanism?

Some people just like certain things more than others - in the case of addiction up until the point of developing a chemical dependence - but a dependence is not a disease, it's your body adapting to what's going on around it - attempting to normalise whatever regular situations it finds itself in.

Well I am not suggesting a direct cloning program here or anything :p At least not one without the potential for some beneficial modifications to the template :D

I have a couple of changes in mind - we'll talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Other than the part that says "is a chronic disease" - what differentiates this from how the brain handles any other behaviour? Do it - like it - want to do it again? What I'm asking is, it says "is a chronic disease" but what actually makes it one?

How is this not just a stronger (maybe even much stronger) response than the average, but still just the same basic mechanism?

Some people just like certain things more than others - in the case of addiction up until the point of developing a chemical dependence - but a dependence is not a disease, it's your body adapting to what's going on around it - attempting to normalise whatever regular situations it finds itself in.

Chronic just means - over a prolonged period, like you cannot just drink once and be an alcoholic, same as you cannot just take drugs once and be addicted.

Alcoholism / addiction are illnesses which form over time - hard enough for those to understand who actually suffer from the illness, almost impossible for those to understand who have never suffered from it.

Like most mental illnesses, for example someone who has never suffered from depression would not fully understand depression if it was explained to them by one who suffered chronic depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

begbysback wrote: »
    Alcoholism / addiction are illnesses which form over time - hard enough for those to understand who actually suffer from the illness, almost impossible for those to understand who have never suffered from it.

Like most mental illnesses, for example someone who has never suffered from depression would not fully understand depression if it was explained to them by one who suffered chronic depression.

I think that's arguing from an individual perspective, as in someone else may not understand that person's individual experience with their experience of ill mental health, but that then suggests that medical professionals and researchers would only understand a condition if they experienced it for themselves, in spite of their experience in dealing with many people whom they have observed the condition in.

It's the classic conflict between social and medical models of any condition. There's also a third model that is used by the WHO of how to view disability for example and that is the biopsychosocial model. There's an interesting (IMO at least! :D) TED Talk on that model here -

Really the point is that it depends upon the language and the model used as to what way a person is given or giving an understanding of their experiences. Not all addictions necessarily cause or lead to ill mental health and destructive behaviours either. It completely depends upon the way the condition manifests and expresses itself, and that in itself is dependent upon a number of other factors as to the degree in which the underlying condition manifests and expresses itself depending upon how the individual processes their own experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Mental Illness" is defined as: a condition which causes serious disorder in a person's behaviour or thinking.

Addiction could certainly fall into that category, even as defined above.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Also, there is always the big deal over how long they have been 'clean' for delivered with an attempted air of superiority. Most of us do not allow ourselves to fall that low in the first place but do not go around expecting rounds of applause for it.

I've a good few friends who are former addicts,work with ex addicts and work with addicts now and could probably think of just one ex addict who behaved with an air of superiority.

Outside of work most won't even discuss their past other than acknowledge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I've a good few friends who are former addicts,work with ex addicts and work with addicts now and could probably think of just one ex addict who behaved with an air of superiority.

I was not referring to those who actually move on to do something in their lives. I meant the self indulgent ones who slump around with not taking drugs as their only achievement in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was not referring to those who actually move on to do something in their lives. I meant the self indulgent ones who slump around with not taking drugs as their only achievement in life.

I'm probably a bit naive to the example of self indulgence.I still can't think of anyone.

Other than the part that says "is a chronic disease" - what differentiates this from how the brain handles any other behaviour? Do it - like it - want to do it again?

Well what they are indicating there is it does not just stimulate the reward systems to make you want to do it again, but actually causes changes at the level of the brain that not only strengthen that loop, but undermine other aspects of the brain that would be used to over ride or resist such urges.

When they say things like "supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors" that is a lot more going on than "do it, like it, want to do it again". And much more going on than simply people who "like certain things more than others".

Chronic just means - over a prolonged period, like you cannot just drink once and be an alcoholic, same as you cannot just take drugs once and be addicted.

I'm not too sure about that.
    Certainly you can never know what something actually feels like unless you personally experience it, but I think it's quite possible to understand.

Well what they are indicating there is it does not just stimulate the reward systems to make you want to do it again, but actually causes changes at the level of the brain that not only strengthen that loop, but undermine other aspects of the brain that would be used to over ride or resist such urges.

When they say things like "supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors" that is a lot more going on than "do it, like it, want to do it again". And much more going on than simply people who "like certain things more than others".

But how is that actually functionally different from liking anything else. Practically everything we do changes our brains, weakening some connections, strengthening others and so on.
    What makes addiction a disease, rather than just the brain doing what brains do?

The effect might be stronger in some than in others, but I still have trouble with calling it a disease. An unfortunate characteristic maybe, but a disease? I can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I'm not too sure about that.
    Certainly you can never know what something actually feels like unless you personally experience it, but I think it's quite possible to understand.

Yes, professionals will understand, but even that is limited - there are a number of theories what causes addictions / depression, mental illnesses - depending on which doctor, psychiatrists or counsellor you talk to, maybe it's a childhood trauma, a bang on the head, chemical imbalance, or as the ignorant would suggest, maybe just self indulgence.

Given there are many theories, and treatments, I believe we have to admit we are nowhere near understanding mental illnesses to a degree necessary to have any impact

But how is that actually functionally different from liking anything else. Practically everything we do changes our brains, weakening some connections, strengthening others and so on.
    What makes addiction a disease, rather than just the brain doing what brains do?

True, but everything in our brain is designed for survival, so we have to ask ourselves, if someone was addicted to drugs to such a point as they would kill themselves, or if depression caused somebody to commit suicide - should we consider this an illness of the mind?

But how is that actually functionally different from liking anything else.

I think the answer to that is in the post you are replying to but I will focus on it a little more.

1) When you like something you want to do it again. I think we are together so far on that, as you have pointed it out too.

2) There are some things that are bad for you, so your desire to look after yourself and your own well being comes into play. So if you love mars bars and you want to eat more and more, you might say "Well I do not want to get really fat, or develop a diabetes sub-type, so I will eat less of them or none at all. That is to say, your self-care impulses over ride your desire for the "reward" you are resisting.

What the quote above is saying is that NOT ONLY is there a "Like it, want it, do it again" loop in play but the addiction will also "supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors" that come into play in 2) above.

And that makes it different from the other things you may like and not be addicted to.

And that makes it different from the other things you may like and not be addicted to.

I'm with you 100%.

It is clearly different, Stevie Wonder can see that - but different doesn't necessarily equate to disease. Why is different, not just different? We are all different both biologically and mentally in subtle ways after all.

Where do things like will power fit in to this model? Some just have more of it than others, plus like every other character trait - if you work at developing it, it gets stronger - conversely if you neglect it, it gets weaker.

If there was an actual physiological disease of addiction - surely those suffering from it could and would become addicted to basically everything and anything. Is the fact that people very much tend to become addicted to the things they like most (at least at the start) not a strong indicator that it is largely brought about by good old fashioned poor life choices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Susceptibility to addiction has a large genetic element. So in some ways...I dont know if disease would be right word for it. But yeh it should probably be classed as something else as the same time.

I think the answer to that is in the post you are replying to but I will focus on it a little more.

1) When you like something you want to do it again. I think we are together so far on that, as you have pointed it out too.

2) There are some things that are bad for you, so your desire to look after yourself and your own well being comes into play. So if you love mars bars and you want to eat more and more, you might say "Well I do not want to get really fat, or develop a diabetes sub-type, so I will eat less of them or none at all. That is to say, your self-care impulses over ride your desire for the "reward" you are resisting.

What the quote above is saying is that NOT ONLY is there a "Like it, want it, do it again" loop in play but the addiction will also "supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors" that come into play in 2) above.

Are you confusing addiction with habit? in addiction it is irrelevant whether you like it or not, a habit of eating mars bars which you like, this may be considered a cycle of unhealthy behaviour, this can be overcome by making some minor modifications in ones life, such as going to the gym or changing to salads - but addiction is considered an illness where a minor modification in the life of the addicted is insufficient to bring about change, such a change needs to occur on the mind of the addicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I live a structured life and earning and providing for home,despite living with an addiction to alcohol and a certain class A drug and I'd definitely agree that addiction is self inflicted. I made my own luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I think OP's question of whether addiction is a disease or not, is moot.

What's important is that it's treated as a disease because that's what has the best outcome for the addict.

I live a structured life and earning and providing for home,despite living with an addiction to alcohol and a certain class A drug and I'd definitely agree that addiction is self inflicted. I made my own luck.

Fair play to you. I admire your honesty, I strive to be that honest with myself. (I lie like a politician in a brothel to everyone else however:D)

I don't want to sound like an old fart, but I find that personal responsibility is becoming an alien concept to people - I'm always trying to drill in to my kids - whatever you do, is your own fault.

The whole world is gone all Taylor Swift - "look what you made me do"

I hope it all works out well for you.

• Advertisement

It is clearly different, Stevie Wonder can see that - but different doesn't necessarily equate to disease.

Indeed. I was focusing first on the differences between addiction and the "Have it, like it, want it again" dynamic you refereed to. I was moving away therefore from the use of the word disease. But as that tangent is ended I can go BACK to that conversation now.

All cards on the table I myself am not 100% in agreement with calling it a disease. So my posts are about WHY they all do it, rather than why they should be doing it. For me I think when a word comes to mean too much, it ends up meaning too little. And we have one umbrella term "disease" for too many things.

It is like the word "religion" for me. An umbrella term that can mean Islam on one side and Jainism on the other, which are extremely different. Or "sport" which can be MMA bare knuckle fighting on one side and lawn bowling on the other. Two sports that, as a man funnier than I once pointed out, have little in common other than breathing.

So I think we need new words here to use in place of disease or at the very least to better sub-categorize the term. We have some such words already of course, but they are not really in the public psyche.

The reason they call it a disease, specifically a chronic disease, is mainly because attributes of it parallel diseases. And treatment modalities under the concept of disease work.

Like many diseases there is "Dysfunction" that leads to "biological and psychological manifestations" and even a "diminished" level of certain forms of cognition.

Further as ASAM point out " Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death."

At the risk of an "appeal to authority", the fact that the majority of these medical agencies are calling it a disease (and also for all my disagreements with them and their program it was I believe AA who was one of the forerunners of calling it a disease too, not just medical bodies) should tell you that there is more going on that merely "Different means disease". It is not just that it IS different that mediates the allocation of the word, but specifically what those differences are.

But a lot of it has to do with treatment modalities. As Maia Szalavitz writes in "Unbroken brain" "between the options of a moralistic view and a disease view, the disease view is the best way to address and treat that problem.". So a lot of the reason people use the word disease is not just that they think the word itself applies, but that way of thinking about it is beneficial too.

As "Recovery First" write about Szalavitz: "She also points to the well-established research that has identified complex biochemical processes under addiction. Addiction has its basis in neurophysiology, she says, which swings the pendulum in favor of the disease model."

Then there is a large % of people who have their addiction caused by, or at least massively exacerbated by, genetics. Link included.

I guess where much of the disagreement comes from on the issue is that no one (or at least very few) people arguing the use (or not) of the word actually list what they think the word means. It might be helpful for some to make a bullet point list of the MINIMUM things they believe something must have to be considered a "disease". Then identify which ones addiction is missing (if any).

For example if someone thinks it has to either be genetic or a pathogen then clearly straight away addiction is not a disease except perhaps in the cases of those people with the gene defect in the link above.

If someone defines disease however as "a disorder of structure or function in a human" then they would be harder pushed to NOT define it as "disease". While those who try (or like on this thread already tried) to make a distinction based on "choice" as the pre-cursor, then they have a chasm of semantics and tautologies and counter examples (Like HIV and some forms of diabetes) to over come to make that line of reasoning stick.

At the end of the day however the word "disease" and the treatment modalities and structures that come with that word have been useful and beneficial. Subjectively the only real reason I see resistance to the word tends to be because people think (wholly and entirely falsely in my opinion) that using the word negates any level of accountability or blame. And I do not think it does. HIV is a disease, but that does not remove accountability from the sexually active person who refuses protection. Some types of diabetes are a disease but that does not remove accountability from those who stuff 2 litres of coke into themselves every day (I am potentially that person, though so far so good, and I am fighting my own sugar addictions with mixed levels of failure).
    Where do things like will power fit in to this model?

Well I guess the difference "between the options of a moralistic view and a disease view" is that in the former view the addiction is seen as a will power failing on the part of the patient. With all the blame and accountability and sometimes judgement that entails.

Whereas under "disease" will power becomes a PART of the treatment modality, for which other aspects of the treatment provide a support structure.

So will power fits into the model, but more as a factor in treatment, than simply a factor in identifying causes and places to put our blame and judgement.

Also I am coming in recent times around to the idea of will power as a limited resource. You say, and I agree, that "Some just have more of it than others" but the demands we put on it are not always the same. Some studies recently are coming to the idea that will power is not some fixed value like a Dungeons and Dragons Character Stat, but is something with daily limits like endurance and energy levels. And while, like you, I am also sure it can be improved with certain practices and techniques, I think that can be hard won.

So a person with bugger all will power might be living an easy life and hence be able to resist addiction better. But someone with the MOST willpower you have ever observed in a human being might be placing periodic demands on that will power that exceed it's limits and so at the end of the day sitting at home across from the drinks cabinet or down the road from the off license..... they simply have no will power left. It is not a fixed value from one side of the day to the other.

So often people look at someone with addiction and think they just have no will power. Rather what they should possibly be looking at is what demands overall are being placed on the will power that person DOES have, and can we alleviate them to leave more for where they really need it.

But further as I pointed out, part of the "disease" is to undermine these "self care" hierarchies at the level of the brain too. So will power is not alone enough of a factor. They could have all the will power in the world but if their "self care" behaviors are not on line or correctly aligned what will make them correctly use it?

So yes, will power is a huge factor here, but how it fits into the over all picture is a sensitive and important issue.
    If there was an actual physiological disease of addiction - surely those suffering from it could and would become addicted to basically everything and anything.

How many people have you met that had, say, measels and the flu at the same time? :) Ok I am a bit tongue in cheek there, but at the same time people quite often do not have multiple issues at the same time.

That said though, many people DO have the issue you describe. Alcohol and drugs....... and alcohol and gambling......... are two common combinations of addiction. With the recent rise of incredibly accessible porn I think porn addiction is more and more an issue and that also combines with alcohol quite well.

But often when one becomes really mired in an addiction, while the potentially could get addictions to "anything and everything" else............ their investment of time and energy into the thing they ARE addicted to precludes the time, energy, money and sometimes physical capability to get addicted to anything else.
    Is the fact that people very much tend to become addicted to the things they like most (at least at the start) not a strong indicator that it is largely brought about by good old fashioned poor life choices?

Perhaps it is in many cases, but as we have gone back to discussing specifically the term "disease" I have to repeat the position that a disease is often still a disease even if "poor choices" got you there. So if we are discussing the term "disease" itself still (though I admit we have both gone on multiple tangents along the way) then it's origin (or not) in choices is not relevant to the definition or its applicability.

Are you confusing addiction with habit? in addiction it is irrelevant whether you like it or not

Not me no. I was replying to someone else who brought up the "do it, like it, want to do it again" mode of thinking. I heartily agree in fact with what you say here.

With addiction, alcohol being a common one, the person getting addicted to it does not even have to like it. Many people turn to alcohol in times of stress or grief and so forth and they may not even enjoy it when they do.

My own sugar addictions, which I combat in an ongoing basis, mostly involve coca cola and I have very long ago realized I do not even like the taste of cola any more over their years of changing the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »
    Some of it is due to genetics.

I didn't pay much attention to this thread after my first post, but I see some think addiction is something self inflicted and has nothing to do with genetic susceptibility to addiction.
    This is wrong.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/06/genes-addict.aspx
    At least half of a person's susceptibility to drug addiction can be linked to genetic factors. Presenters at an April 8 congressional hearing outlined new research on the genetic basis for addiction and recommended ways to incorporate those findings into treatment.
    When it comes to tobacco, genetics account for about 75 percent of a person's inclination to begin smoking, said University of Pennsylvania psychologist Caryn Lerman, PhD. Genes also account for 60 percent of the tendency to become addicted and 54 percent of one's ability to quit.
    the number of a certain type of dopamine receptor, known as D2, might someday be used to predict whether someone will become addicted to alcohol, cocaine and heroin. Brain imaging suggests that people with fewer D2 receptors are more likely to become addicted than those with many of the receptors--and how many of these receptors people have is, in part, genetically determined. Of course, environmental factors also play a role, so propensity isn't destiny,

Addiction, it is like how people's genetics give them a higher or lower risk of getting a disease. One's own genetics determines to a certain degree the risk level in getting an addition.

Did you fully comprehend that you would not be able to stop when starting?

All cards on the table I myself am not 100% in agreement with calling it a disease. So my posts are about WHY they all do it, rather than why they should be doing it. For me I think when a word comes to mean too much, it ends up meaning too little. And we have one umbrella term "disease" for too many things.

To be honest, I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet. I agree with pretty much everything you've said - my issue is with calling it a disease is largely semantics and therefore most probably also largely pointless.

It doesn't really matter if you insist on calling an elephant an ant, it's still going to hurt if it steps on your toe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Everyone's circumstances are different but to say it is a disease is a stretch Imo. Drugs like heroin are extremely addictive but if you start saying it's a disease does a person addicted to weed have a disease? or a person addicted to caffeine? Where do we draw the line if we start saying some addictions are diseases and others are not.

Diabetes is called a disease but it is a condition one causes to oneself.

....... wrote: »
    Pretty much all addicts start out this way - most do not go from no addiction to full blown uncontrolled addiction overnight. For a long time most normalise the addiction and are functioning.

But for some, that stops and the addiction takes over. Wheres the tipping point? Who knows?
    It is just part of life for me, I'm 36 and I've been though the mill. I got into ecstasy in my early teens, and take drugs almost every day. As I said I function well, I'm a good provider to children. I'm a functional adult. If I was going down the needle in the arm job route it woulda happened years ago. The drink is my problem these days. I'd never get a load of sniff if I was sober.

....... wrote: »
    Pretty much all addicts start out this way - most do not go from no addiction to full blown uncontrolled addiction overnight. For a long time most normalise the addiction and are functioning.

But for some, that stops and the addiction takes over. Wheres the tipping point? Who knows?

Good point, apart that it didn't start out that way. I'm 36 now, when I was 20 I was drinking, screwing and snorting all around me and in the pub every night of the week, long before I had young Harry and later little Harriet. I realised my demons years ago, had my occasional stint of abstinence and each time just felt miserable. I just go with the flow now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement