Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 - Clontibret to NI Border [preferred route published; ABP in 2022]

Options
  • 21-09-2017 7:25pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Shane Ross has confirmed that in addition to Ardee-Castleblayney, TII have reactivated the N2 scheme from Clontibret to the border, including bypasses of Monaghan town and Emyvale. This will also tie in with the A5 dualling from Ballygawley to the Border.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-09-20a.1597

Scheme will start with feasibility study & route selection pending funding.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That's talking about the N59? I looked through the questions but couldn't find any relevant one

Is there to be a new Monaghan bypass or just upgrading the existing to 2+2?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's talking about the N59? I looked through the questions but couldn't find any relevant one

Is there to be a new Monaghan bypass or just upgrading the existing to 2+2?

A new bypass as the current one was effectively a temporary sticking plaster. I believe the new one will also let the N54 bypass the town centre.

The new roundabout on it for the fire station realistically opens the bypass to become a distributor road for the town anyway.

There was a batty local campaign to stop it when this was first mentioned, 8 years ago or so on the basis that it was "bypassing the bypass". Just like we've had to do repeatedly when the original bypass was inappropriate - Kinnegad, Swords, Drogheda, Dundalk, Limerick, New Ross....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Good to hear, I came across this which I assume is now obsolete but gives an idea of route possibilities at least. The yellow route in particular would cut loads of time off the journey

https://monaghan.ie/roadtransport/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2016/12/N2C2NIPublicConsultationNo.2BrochureEnglish630x297Web.pdf

L1011 wrote: »
    A new bypass as the current one was effectively a temporary sticking plaster. I believe the new one will also let the N54 bypass the town centre.

The new roundabout on it for the fire station realistically opens the bypass to become a distributor road for the town anyway.

There was a batty local campaign to stop it when this was first mentioned, 8 years ago or so on the basis that it was "bypassing the bypass". Just like we've had to do repeatedly when the original bypass was inappropriate - Kinnegad, Swords, Drogheda, Dundalk, Limerick, New Ross....
    I know about most of those but was there a Drogheda bypass at any stage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know about most of those but was there a Drogheda bypass at any stage?

The DC on the west side of the Boyne was considered a bypass originally.

Where's that sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Where's that sorry?
    In the town itself, maybe a mile long. There a McDonalds on it

Where's that sorry?

Called James Street/R132 here

https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=drogheda#map=16/53.7138/-6.3512

The N1 originally ran through the town centre; this inner relief road was considered a bypass. It was actually effective enough but further development ensured the need for a full bypass quick enough and that took ages.

Ah OK, as far as I know I'm too young to have not crossed the river on that bridge. :P It's fairly obvious where there were realignments in from Monasterboice but I didn't realise they built that close to the town centre so recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Ah OK, as far as I know I'm too young to have not crossed the river on that bridge. :P It's fairly obvious where there were realignments in from Monasterboice but I didn't realise they built that close to the town centre so recently.

It was 1976 I think James Street was dualled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

It was 1976 I think James Street was dualled.
    Yes, I also think it was 1976 (Narrow West Street to the Shop Street Bridge via the then new bridge). The Shop Street Bridge itself was renewed around 1981 and Mary Street was widened to DC around 1986.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII have confirmed through Shane Ross that route selection has recommenced on this scheme: https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-11-22a.105

Phases 1-4 of this scheme have now gone to tender (feasibility study, route selection, design & statutory process). The ball is now rolling on this scheme.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=128940

There was some work done on this in the past which may help fast track it: https://monaghan.ie/roadtransport/n2-clontibret-to-northern-ireland-border-rd-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Thanks Marno, great news. Wonderful to see this advancing.

Has there been any talk of eventually upgrading the 2+1 section between Castleblayney and Clontibret? I imagine it'll probably the last part of the entire M1/N2/A5 route to be fully dualed, but I believe it could probably be done at minimal cost and inconvenience, looking at the amount of land which was taken at the time it was built.

Thanks Marno, great news. Wonderful to see this advancing.

Has there been any talk of eventually upgrading the 2+1 section between Castleblayney and Clontibret? I imagine it'll probably the last part of the entire M1/N2/A5 route to be fully dualed, but I believe it could probably be done at minimal cost and inconvenience, looking at the amount of land which was taken at the time it was built.

I think they will do that as soon as the two SC sections either side are done. Aside from poor regional access in the north west, there is a major safety dividend from these two schemes due to the amount of fatal accidents on the N2.

I'd imagine Castleblayney-Ardee & Clontibrer-Border done as 2+2 by 2025 then a focus on the rest; that includes the N33.

Next up must be solving the continuing objections holding up the A5. Having continuous motorway/DC from Dublin to Emyvale is great but the glorified cattle track north of there needs doing too

Delightful that the entire of the N2 from Ardee to the border will be DC in some shape or form soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The tender below for a new bridge on the N2 outside monaghan , Why would they not have left it to be included in the N2 Clontibert to the Border?. Or will this road end up not just be retrofitting but we will see greenfield development?

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=134027&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Actually thinking about it they will have to build on greenfield as you would never fit a retrofit 2+2 on that section of road

roadmaster wrote: »
    The tender below for a new bridge on the N2 outside monaghan , Why would they not have left it to be included in the N2 Clontibert to the Border?. Or will this road end up not just be retrofitting but we will see greenfield development?

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=134027&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Actually thinking about it they will have to build on greenfield as you would never fit a retrofit 2+2 on that section of road

That bridge simply can't wait for a project that may never happen

This N2 scheme won't start until 2022 at the earliest so it's likely the cost of the bridge will have paid itself back by then

marno21 wrote: »

A Marno from your previous posts i always taught you where an optimist!

I would have bit of hope this project will go ahead with the following position being advertised currently

https://monaghan.ie/humanresources/2018/08/02/project-liaison-officer/

That is for two projects, the other of which is the one to be delivered first most likely.

• Advertisement

That is for two projects, the other of which is the one to be delivered first most likely.

Yip one man for the two projects is no issue. It just shows they are moving forward with it. I wonder what will happen at the border at auhnacloy will the road be narrowed down similar to the western end of the mullingar bypass to two lanes or would a roundabout be built just before the bridge. In an ideal world the A5 to the border would be built the same time and they would merge seamlessly together.

A Marno from your previous posts i always taught you where an optimist!

I would have bit of hope this project will go ahead with the following position being advertised currently

https://monaghan.ie/humanresources/2018/08/02/project-liaison-officer/
    Indeed but realism trumps optimism here, and if the N2 scheme got held up by NIMBYs or An Taisce and at the same time a defective bridge collapsed there would be war.

That N2 scheme won't open until 2028 or so at the current rate projects are going at.

Yip one man for the two projects is no issue. It just shows they are moving forward with it. I wonder what will happen at the border at auhnacloy will the road be narrowed down similar to the western end of the mullingar bypass to two lanes or would a roundabout be built just before the bridge. In an ideal world the A5 to the border would be built the same time and they would merge seamlessly together.
    The plan at Aughnacloy is to link this N2 scheme directly to the new A5 dual carraigeway in NI, as in they will meet at the border at the one spot, a bit like how the N1 border is handled between Dundalk and Newry. Final route selection on both schemes will be done in tandem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's hard to see how any could plan for the border, when the tory eejits haven't a clue what the border is gonna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will this be motorway/hqdc like the A5?

There should be a motorway from Derry to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Will this be motorway/hqdc like the A5?

There should be a motorway from Derry to Dublin.

It will be 2+2 Type 2 dc.

The north's HQDC is a different standard altogether; think Motorway, minus the hard shoulders and with purely Compact GSJs.

It'll be Type 2 DC, and current traffic levels of 6200 AADT along this stretch are even pushing it for DC let alone motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It'll be Type 2 DC, and current traffic levels of 6200 AADT along this stretch are even pushing it for DC let alone motorway.
    It's a stretch to see how 6k traffic usage can warrant any kind of dualling. And the section from Monaghan-Clontibret is perfectly adequate for the volume and safety record aspects. The Monaghan "bypass" itself is not exactly ideal, but a solution for N54 <-> N2 traffic would help matters in the short term much more than a better N2 bypass. Encroachment may not be an issue when population growth is lower than national average, and population is aeging. I'm struggling to see the strategic value of this improvement within the next 20 years, based on those traffic volumes and existing surface/width/safety record.

• Advertisement

It's a stretch to see how 6k traffic usage can warrant any kind of dualling. And the section from Monaghan-Clontibret is perfectly adequate for the volume and safety record aspects. The Monaghan "bypass" itself is not exactly ideal, but a solution for N54 <-> N2 traffic would help matters in the short term much more than a better N2 bypass. Encroachment may not be an issue when population growth is lower than national average, and population is aeging. I'm struggling to see the strategic value of this improvement within the next 20 years, based on those traffic volumes and existing surface/width/safety record.
    N2 is a recurring safety issue and there is a large percentage of HGVs along the route. It's also Government policy to prioritise access to the North West. The NDP includes dualling approx 75km of the N2, 35km of the N3 and 65km of the N4, along with the entire N14 in Donegal and contributing to the A5.

Advertisement