Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What gadget/device would you like to see invented?

• 21-09-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

No silly stuff like time machines or teleporters.

I want a remote control toy sub that I control from my phone. It sends live video feed from a camera to the phone too.

Comments

The Zed eyes from Black Mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

sbs2010 wrote: »

I want a remote control toy sub that I control from my phone. It sends live video feed from a camera to the phone too.

https://www.blueyerobotics.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxo3OBRBpEiwAS7X62eLgpmkEwYax01zSqheEgbWHypTIrxQzO_j6Uq0XyJKze5VuLLtK4RoCPlwQAvD_BwE

I like to make dreams come through :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Spray on condoms .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

See through mirrors.

Waterproof sponges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

https://www.openrov.com/

Easy. But all you'll see is dirty water, trolleys, and they odd black bag or suitcase left by the scissor sisters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

A time machine! Because I don't think a time machine would be is a silly idea. And I could go back in time and read the op properly and not say a time machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

X-Ray glasses :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Something to stop me having to shave every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ya know the little foot peddle on bins? Well those installed on public toilets and they make the lid go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Guilt free healthy nummy cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Central locking for a house. At the push of a button. Teek-Teek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ya know the little foot peddle on bins? Well those installed on public toilets and they make the lid go up.
    make a toilet paper glove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Seen the opposite of this in the gents of a pub in Rome. You had to sit on the bowl for the seat to stay down. T'was a good idea to stop everyone pissing all over the seat.

Also they had the flusher on the floor so you stood on it to flush instead using the handle on the cistern that everyone else touched with their pissy hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

A mind reading indicator...
    So when someone driving along decides 'ohhh he's too close to me or he looks like I could beat him in a fight etc etc I don't think I'll indicate!?'.. The indicator goes on automatically:-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A device that would allow me to go strangers houses and *beep beep* all the doors open and then rob them blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's not a gadget or device, but I'd love to see (if it doesn't already exist) a better search option when highlighting text on a page.

What I mean is, if I see the word Jenga on a webpage and then highlight the text and right click my search options are limited to 'Search Google for Jenga'.

I'd love to see that expanded and customizable to 'Search Google/Wikipedia/Amazon/etc for Jenga'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Food and Industrial Replicators like in Star Trek.

Definitely not the Replicators from Stargate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Breakfast Station-Robo Server. Basically a breakfast station that automatically cooks breakfast to the user's preference ( with adjustable timings for your eggs, rashers etc.) and pours out hot tea/coffee. Just load up the station with required goods beforehand and off you go. With built-in timer so you can have it ready first thing when you wake up.

Once cooked, the station turns off, sends a command to Robo-Server who delivers straight to you with built-in location wherever you are in house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

A device that would allow me to go strangers houses and *beep beep* all the doors open and then rob them blind.

1443_prev.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

Mini clones of celebrities and politicans, say about 3 ft tall. They would be pretty brainless, would come out of the box with a few pre-installed phrases of said person.

You'd keep them in an enclosure where they'd happily repeat their phrases to one another over and over, and you don't need to feed them or clean up after them.

Now for the good part.

As soon as you see or hear the real pat Kenny making yet another stupid statement you could pick up your mini version and slap the head off it.

The emotional release would be fantastic, or as the germans say "die unendlichenfantastichenslappenhosrten"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

okay, this is what i want and i dont know why we dont have it. an automatic tyre inflator. with 2 cars on the road and a motorbike i seem to spend my life checking tyre pressures and topping up. all the technology a car has nowadays and it wont automatically inflate when its needed. i mean how important are tyres and correct pressure? ah now, im going off on one. aint no-one got time for this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Teleporters already exist. You can get yourself a toy one here: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/construction-and-cars/bruder/bruder-1-16-cat-teleporter/p/106297?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Jyt15i31gIVzIKyCh1OmQnLEAQYAiABEgKZsPD_BwE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A self Ironing board.

You open it up, and it does all your shirts and pants for you, 100% perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

A bed that can turn into a rocket so you can go into outer space without getting out of bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

osarusan wrote: »
    It's not a gadget or device, but I'd love to see (if it doesn't already exist) a better search option when highlighting text on a page.

What I mean is, if I see the word Jenga on a webpage and then highlight the text and right click my search options are limited to 'Search Google for Jenga'.

I'd love to see that expanded and customizable to 'Search Google/Wikipedia/Amazon/etc for Jenga'.

happy xmas :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/context-search-x/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We've been hearing about flying cars since the 1960's, get fu**ing on with it already.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

emo72 wrote: »
    okay, this is what i want and i dont know why we dont have it. an automatic tyre inflator. with 2 cars on the road and a motorbike i seem to spend my life checking tyre pressures and topping up. all the technology a car has nowadays and it wont automatically inflate when its needed. i mean how important are tyres and correct pressure? ah now, im going off on one. aint no-one got time for this ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhkkTwof2I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

gctest50 wrote: »

superb stuff, thank you sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A device that provides security for all humans, allows humans to persue the activities that they enjoy the most, to spend as much time with loved ones as possible. Not too much to ask for, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

X-Ray glasses :pac:
    They exist but there are a few problems.

Obviously there's the whole cancer thing, but worse was the brand name.

Pedoscope

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They can be bricked by borked updates.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/11/lockstate_bricks_smart_locks_with_dumb_firmware_upgrade/

Or you can be locked out if the manufacturer doesn't like you
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/04/iot_garage_door_startup_bad_pr/

And that's before you consider that the Internet of Things doesn't have any security worth talking about. Smart Locks make e-voting machines look secure.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    A high end smartphone with a battery that last a week..
    There's an old joke about a Russian man carrying a suitcase in one hand and a brand new watch on the other ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NIMAN wrote: »
    Something to stop me having to shave every morning.

That has been invented already.
    It's called a beard.

Advertisement