Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triple glazing condensation on the outside. Curious

• 21-09-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

We had our kitchen patio door and window replaced with triple glazed units. Budget is tight so doing rest of house bit by bit.

With the weather cooling off we have noticed that the outside of the triple glazed units are fogged over until well into the day whereas the double glazed utility window and door are fine. So much so that we can't see out unless we go and wipe them off.

Now I know it is not an issue with the Windows and down to weather but was curious as to why it is not on the double glazed units. The back of the house is north facing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Would it not be a proof that the triple glazed windows work better ie less heat transfer to the outside layer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

It's a well known problem with triple glazed windows. On a standard double glazed unit, there's a certain amount of heat loss and on a cool day this stops condensation forming on the outside of the glass. Higher end triple glazed windows have such little heat loss that moisture condenses on the cold outer pane and forms a dew, similar to what you'd find on a car window or the grass in the morning. The good news is that yooir windows are well insulated. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything you can do to minimise the condensiation forming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Our windows in the house do the same. However it's only at night time and by early morning it's cleared up so no issue with it at all.

As others have mentioned it's a good sign to show there's less heat loss through the windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Rabbo wrote: »
    It's a well known problem with triple glazed windows. On a standard double glazed unit, there's a certain amount of heat loss and on a cool day this stops condensation forming on the outside of the glass. Higher end triple glazed windows have such little heat loss that moisture condenses on the cold outer pane and forms a dew, similar to what you'd find on a car window or the grass in the morning. The good news is that yooir windows are well insulated. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything you can do to minimise the condensiation forming

not sure of the details but some of the guys detailing cars put coating on windscreens to help reduce this issue.
    this might work on outside house winows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Pilkington and other manufacturers do ‘anti-condensation’ coatings but I doubt they would be robust enough to deal with the typical Irish building site. Probably safe enough on replacement windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 deerpark

Hi - we are about to buy windows and we are concerned about the condensation on the larger glazed units we have. The salesman suggests we should double glaze rather than triple glaze to avoid this. How bad is it for those of you with triple glazing?
    Very roughly - how many days in what months of the year?
    Salesman says September onwards and I note the first post here is September.

Tks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

deerpark wrote: »
    Hi - we are about to buy windows and we are concerned about the condensation on the larger glazed units we have. The salesman suggests we should double glaze rather than triple glaze to avoid this. How bad is it for those of you with triple glazing?

Tks all

We've only experienced it 4 or 5 mornings this year, it hasn't been that cold yet! It's only on certain aspects and is gone in a few hours. Can't say it's bothered me at all, the benefits of 3g far outweigh this minor issue imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Tks all

Walk away from that supplier and find someone else. Anyone who suggests something like that has his own interests in mind not yours.

It hardly ever happens and usually only on the west as any heat in the morning East sun clears it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deerpark

We are due to occupy in June / July and we have decided to leave the windows triple glazed. I will let anyone who would like to know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

We are due to occupy in June / July and we have decided to leave the windows triple glazed. I will let anyone who would like to know how I get on.

Good decision. Best of luck with the rest of the build. Any other questions on anything or construction concerns come back to us on boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement