Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative pedalling based sports

Options
  • 21-09-2017 10:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

so i long ago realised i'm never going to be world champion at any of the mainstream sports, and not being the competitive type doesn't help anyway.

so i was thinking of creating a niche sport, which would give me an edge as it'd allow me to get a head start on training and technique, but i need to figure out what would be workable (and myself and a few friends were discussing this a while back - creating or running a sport seems to be a surefire ticket to lots of money, cf. vince mcmahon, bernie ecclestone, sepp blatter, etc. etc.)

some suggestions for vaguely cycling related or pedalling based sports, am looking for more:

- human powered flight time trialling (may be a little steep in terms of capital investment)
    - downhill offroad unicycling
    - pedalocross
    - extreme roundabout (pedal powered roundabouts where competitor is actually sitting on the roundabout, and the winner is whoever can spin it the fastest and keep their breakfast down)

before anyone asks, yes, i've had a few beers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I look forward to being an avid supporter of whatever you come up with!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another, more controversial option, is doped cycling - where drug taking is not just allowed, but mandatory. but the drugs each cyclist takes are decided by the spectators.
    note i did not use the phrase 'performance enhancing drugs'. that would be boring.

this is another sport, like extreme roundabout, i like the idea of without actually wanting to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Downhill unicycling already exists. So scratch that one off the list.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbkL5fNgwpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Downhill unicycling already exists. So scratch that one off the list.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbkL5fNgwpg

Unicycle Everesting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

My OH was into fencing before I got her into cycling. We have often joked about combining the two into some form of bicycle jousting.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There is only one answer to your question: Surfbike.

closeup_surfbike1new.gif

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

before anyone asks, yes, i've had a few beers.
    Sorry, that's unacceptable - you can still tell the time can't you? Shirley you could have waited a couple of hours and made this a proper Friday thread:confused:

Anyway, ever thought of peddling dope?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What political involvement will there be? You do know that sports and politics are inextricably linked, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Swan pedalo racing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry, that's unacceptable - you can still tell the time can't you? Shirley you could have waited a couple of hours and made this a proper Friday thread:confused:
    tomorrow's my last day in work for over two weeks, today is a little like friday for me.
    needless to say though, after three days of a quiet week, two different issues blew up today and i'm going to have to try to get both of them put to bed before COB tomorrow. otherwise i'll be dreading going back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cython wrote: »
    My OH was into fencing before I got her into cycling. We have often joked about combining the two into some form of bicycle jousting.......

Looks fun....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not to mention bicycle archery, which given the amount of deer around Wicklow this year could make for a nice afternoons hunting followed by pit barbecue and beers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

race these things but put a few corners and jumps in

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bicycle polo.

I watched this played in the Phoenix Park a few years ago. It looked sort of fun.

Not my video, but...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is of course the football option....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Here's one that really doable. Cycle gymkhana.

It's like motorcycle gymkhana, with pedal bikes. All you need is a parking lot, a bunch of cones and a tight well designed route with a lot of turns. It will really test your power to pickup speed, bike control balance and agility. Don't need any special gear either.

Expert level would be doing the same after a number of beers.

Rules, points etc explained in this video - it really looks like a lot of fun (on a motorbike at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

positron wrote: »
    Expert level would be doing the same after a number of beers.
    As a younger moron I played the sport of "drunk squash". You really need to be young to recover from the injuries.

Advertisement