Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you live in Leftie town or Righty ville?

• 21-09-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Was moaning about "left and right" in a few threads earlier. To me it seems that people (generally) can be divided between "left" or "right" on the political spectrum.

While that's nothing new, it really does seem to reaching some kind of critical point, an extreme polarisation.

Whereas I think people maybe 10 or 15 years ago had all different shades of opinion, it seems far more black and white now. "yes or no, us or them"

Extremism. If a person says they are against social housing, for example, its fairly easy to guess where they lie on lots of other topics too. Are we really becoming that boring and predictable?

Its almost definitely an American thing that has set itself up here.

The funny thing about this manifestation of absolute identity is that it knows no boundaries. It doesn't depend on sex, doesn't depend on upbringing (as far as I can see), doesn't depend on skin colour or country of origin etc.

So is the future basically going to be a split between left and right, where each group just fecks off to join the others? So youd have left countries and right countries?

In one way it sounds fantastic, not having to hear people moaning on a day to day basis, having to watch your words and language depending who youre around, it sounds a lot more peaceful! On the otherhand it sounds like the perfect recipe for world war 3.

Last rant of a question to sum it up: Would you like to live in a left/right divided world, or do you think we're heading there anyway?

(this boils down most hot topics into one conclusion, basically. Bonus question, will we see America split up in such a way in the foreseeable future? If not why not?)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 pluto2018

Middletown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Probably a leftie town, I dont want to walk out onto a street full of sexually frustrated whitemen with moustaches and shotguns

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

pluto2018 wrote: »
    Middletown

That would be ideal of course, but I do think its fair to say that the middleground is shrinking all the time, no?

Like one of the ghost estates up in Ballybedallybob that people just don't want to live in

Probably a leftie town, I dont want to walk out onto a street full of sexually frustrated whitemen with moustaches and shotguns

You couldn't have qualified your points of view any more clearly. "probably?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Bygumbo wrote: »
    You couldn't have qualified your points of view any more clearly. "probably?"

Probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Honestly in I don't give a f vale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Most people are in the middle, it's just the vocal but very much in the minority empty vessels have more outlets to make noise these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swing(er)town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It does seem to be more of an American thing, both their left and right are pretty awful.. in Europe I'd be ok with probably anything except far right

Most people are in the middle, it's just the vocal but very much in the minority empty vessels have more outlets to make noise these days.

I used to think too, but I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, if a small group of people can coerce a large group of people....what difference does it make? If youre easily influenced you might as well not exist as have an identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Id live in righty during the week but stay weekends in leftie. Probably better parties there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

LirW wrote: »
    Honestly in I don't give a f vale

You are not living with me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Depends, what are the benefits like in the leftie town?

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Id live in righty during the week but stay weekends in leftie. Probably better parties there.

Going by the extreme natures, I don't think leftie town would have any borders whereas Rightey ville wouldn't let you back in.

Economically I'd say Rightey ville would be prosperous and strict, while leftie town would probably struggle along but have a more lenient outlook on everything.

It'd be a tough call about going to the party!

(starting to sound like the third world versus first world in a way, maybe it IS the way we're heading one way or another)

Noel82 wrote: »
    Depends, what are the benefits like in the leftie town?

Everything is for free, with the catch that it collapses within a month :P

The OT is about attitudes, but I suppose its very difficult to separate out everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

pluto2018 wrote: »
    Middletown

In the UK?
    Or Midleton in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The Wesht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

no mans land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rightyville, definitely :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We don't have first past the post. We have PR and multi-seat constituencies.

So left vs. right is meaningless as we have government by consensus ,well kinda sort of, rather than winner takes all. So you can vote for a third or even a forth party or independent and your vote still matters.

In the UK or the US there are so many safe seats that most votes don't matter. Here the final seat in a constituency is often popcorn time when you get down to the final transfers on the 15th count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think I'd class myself as centre left.
    I'd not venture too far on either side of the extremes.

We don't have first past the post. We have PR and multi-seat constituencies.

So left vs. right is meaningless as we have government by consensus ,well kinda sort of, rather than winner takes all. So you can vote for a third or even a forth party or independent and your vote still matters.

In the UK or the US there are so many safe seats that most votes don't matter. Here the final seat in a constituency is often popcorn time when you get down to the final transfers on the 15th count.

We have this weird wishy-washy system of government here, I find it very difficult to distinguish the parties on a lot of issues. But maybe that's a good thing!

Unfortunately the United States has a history of being a forerunner for anglicised countries, socially speaking.

I hope it doesn't happen here, but its hard NOT to see bi partisan politics coming here very soon. Socially, it has already arrived.

But is this simply a logical conclusion to political/social enactment, that it all coalesces into one or the other group? In my opinion it could very well be.

I know it sounds a bit mad, but I could definitely see it being the root cause of the next world war. And I definitely would put money on the United States being the first to self-divide beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I know it sounds a bit mad, but I could definitely see it being the root cause of the next world war. And I definitely would put money on the United States being the first to self-divide beforehand.

It has been in the past decades, especially in South America. Or Germany with the RAF. It's nothing new really. I'm not entirely sure if this would really lead to a world war but I see it causing major civil wars in some parts of the world.
    Not that I'd want it but I wouldn't even be too surprised if there would be some kind of genocide happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bygumbo wrote:

Collapse of our global economic and financial systems could very well be the catalyst for the next world war. Lefty here

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Collapse of our global economic and financial systems could very well be the catalyst for the next world war. Lefty here

If everyone was running around tearing their hair out because of financial collapse, the easiest scapegoat in the world would be right versus left ideology.

Just imagine the United States hitting a major financial problem (worse than anything before), its pretty easy to see how it would play out internally.

But youre right, the growing idealogical divide wont be the catalyst, but i'd say its the top contender for war (with regards western countries, and we have a 2 for 2 track record with getting the whole world involved)

LirW wrote: »
    It has been in the past decades, especially in South America. Or Germany with the RAF. It's nothing new really. I'm not entirely sure if this would really lead to a world war but I see it causing major civil wars in some parts of the world.
    Not that I'd want it but I wouldn't even be too surprised if there would be some kind of genocide happening.

South America in general has had a rough time with the americans meddling in everything. Germany and the RAF didn't actually split anything.

And I think that's the difference, north America and Europe are the stabilisers of the world, but this conflict of ideology is happening in those same places. If the stabilisers come off due to civil unrest there wont be anything to keep the world on track.

Our countries are showing the early signs of coming apart, in my opinion.

Bygumbo wrote:
    Just imagine the United States hitting a major financial problem (worse than anything before), its pretty easy to see how it would play out internally.

I suspect it may eventually happen. The US is a tinder box, won't take much to spark it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'd prefer the George Carlin option.

Wall off both towns and leave a little gap in the wall with a gate that opens for 30 seconds every month that allows people from either side to enter.

Put the whole thing on TV and make it the new hot reality show.

"From the Left to the Right"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I could argue with the neighbours in both. I guess I would be mixed race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We have this weird wishy-washy system of government here, I find it very difficult to distinguish the parties on a lot of issues. But maybe that's a good thing!
    I think it is.

We can have rainbow coalitions, now that FF and FG are sort of together it's really only SF that are improbable to be in a next government.

No extreme flip-flopping. Yes FF will try to buy an election, and FG will try to balance the budget. But far more common ground than the US or UK parties.

Here PR means the extreme views can be catered for by separate parties. SF get seats. Across the pond UKIP can get more votes than the SNP and no representation , or alternatively look at how the Tory or Labour extremists stay in the party and you get the tail wagging the dog or trying to. Look at how often the Liberals have been relevant.

Here the first item on the agenda of any new party is the split, especially on the left, and it doesn't matter because they could still form part of the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Everything is free in leftie-town and I'm entitled to live there, so... Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

meeeeh wrote: »
    I could argue with the neighbours in both. I guess I would be mixed race.

Or take the Clint Eastwood approach in A Fistful of Dollars.

Play both sides off against each other.
    Then sit back and watch the fireworks.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I suspect it may eventually happen. The US is a tinder box, won't take much to spark it

Its just one of those late night thoughts. When I think of America as it stands, I cannot see any plausible way to solve it.

If Trump runs again or not, I just don't see how anyone (on any side) is going to bring the country back together. And of course it would be myopic to say that its trumps fault, he is merely the result of the environment. The violence is on the increase.

You simply cant run a country with 40-60% against you, it has an inevitable end-point. So yeah, the cats out of the bag and tinder boxes a plenty.

Considering we speak the same language and they outnumber us like 400 to 1, its also very difficult to talk about Ireland without the implications that America has on us in these regards.

Everything is free in leftie-town and I'm entitled to live there, so... Why not?

You might want to think ahead on that one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

You might want to think ahead on that one :P

Bins collected 7 days, 24hr free bus service and if the bus isn't with you in 10 mins you're entitled to a taxi grant

Lie-in 6 days (sundays I'm woken up by the lad delivering the Sunday World)

And to think we once paid a TV licence for RTE, when were getting Jeremy Kyle for free now

It's great stuff altogether

• Advertisement

I'd prefer the George Carlin option.

Wall off both towns and leave a little gap in the wall with a gate that opens for 30 seconds every month that allows people from either side to enter.

Put the whole thing on TV and make it the new hot reality show.

"From the Left to the Right"

Any time I turn on the telly I am half expecting "the running man", reality shows are edging towards it more and more.

Keep the population dumbed down with extreme entertainment, having the inmates of Mountjoy volunteer to run a gauntlet of death and if they make it out alive they get a free house in Foxrock (which nicely segues into the 10pm slot reality show about the hilarious misunderstandings between neighbours)

Bygumbo wrote:
    If Trump runs again or not, I just don't see how anyone (on any side) is going to bring the country back together. And of course it would be myopic to say that its trumps fault, he is merely the result of the environment. The violence is on the increase.

It's very worrying to watch, it has major implications for us all. The crash of 2008 was a wake up call, not many have woken up. Be prepared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Leftie town, but I'd probobly have a second home close to Rightie ville for work and hollidays.
    If there was a nice village halfway between the two where i could go to Leftietownfor healthcare and education, but rightieville for my shopping and business enquiries, I'd take that anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Fucking middleists.

Bins collected 7 days, 24hr free bus service and if the bus I isn't with you in 10 mins you're entitled to a taxi grant

Lie-in 6 days (sundays I'm woken up by the lad delivering the Sunday World)

And to think we once paid a TV licence for RTE, when were getting Jeremy Kyle for free now

It's great stuff altogether

From my understanding of far left politics, the image of Darfur pops into mind. And on a bad day.

I can just see you walking the dirt roads complaining about the lack of free taxi only to see another blow-in take your free house. And you wouldn't have any television, you would be filmed by Rightey ville for the entertainment of their population :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Under the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The people of Lefty town would be too PC for me. I wouldn't be able to live in a place where everyone is like Ned Flanders. I would probably live in Middle Heights, the estate between Leftie town and Righty ville but is closer to Righty ville

Your Face wrote: »
    Under the sea.

Is that where you'll be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Is that where you'll be?

Yep

The people of Lefty town would be too PC for me. I wouldn't be able to live in a place where everyone is like Ned Flanders. How about living in Middle Heights, the estate between Leftie town and Righty ville?

If it came down to a choice between order and disorder, I'd rather go with order and I'd imagine that would be rightey ville, strict as it may be.

That's why its sad to see the balance of the two separating out from one another.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It does seem to be more of an American thing, both their left and right are pretty awful.. in Europe I'd be ok with probably anything except far right

the annoying thing above all else is that both of their main parties and even their fringes are all right of centre really.

It's the pointless manufactured battle that has established itself as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm too hybrid for this. A left wing town would comprise many things I do agree with, but no freedom to speak out against the things that I don't. On the other hand, a right wing town would comprise very few things I do agree with, but plenty of freedom to speak out against the things I don't.

As a natural campaigner / activist type (ENFP for anyone curious), I honestly think that even though I'm a leftie, the leftie town sounds worse. Because the few things I disagree with the left on are very, very big things (for example, the 2012+ epoch of "all men suck and if you're a man you should hate yourself a little bit" is something I find utterly repulsive) and never being able to speak out against those things sounds like hell. On the other hand, I'd always have a cause in a right wing dystopia, and in recent times it seems that the right is far more willing than the left to tolerate dissent.

So for someone like me, a town where I disagree with most of the policies but am free to campaign against them is far superior to a town where I agree with most of the policies, but get shouted down because of what I believe, or even because of I am (hello "check your privilege", "mansplaining" and "opposition-free safe spaces" >_>).

While that's nothing new, it really does seem to reaching some kind of critical point, an extreme polarisation.

Would say the opposite. We have never been so bland and centrist. In fact, anything remotely left or right wing prompts overreaction these days.

One thinks of the 30s, when tens of thousands here welcomed the prospect of outright fascism, while others travelled abroad to fight it and give their lives.

That was more polarised.

Bygumbo wrote:
    If it came down to a choice between order and disorder, I'd rather go with order and I'd imagine that would be rightey ville, strict as it may be.

Unfortunately, rightey Ville is slowly leading us all into uncertainty and probable danger which could end our species ability to survive here, naturally I'm gonna say that being a lefty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'll take my chances in the wilderness as a lone wolf. I'll raid the righties at night to steal tools and weapons.
    I'll just wander into the lefty village whenever I feel like it ( open borders) for a few vegan desserts and a bit of gay sex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement