Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Search

Options
  • 21-09-2017 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Can I use SafeSearch with chrome on a shared computer to block certain websites from appearing in search results? Or loading in the browser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can I use SafeSearch with chrome on a shared computer to block certain websites from appearing in search results? Or loading in the browser.

Just use incognito mode when, ahem, "browsing"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could prevent access to a site by adding it to the hosts file, but this would not prevent it appearing in search results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

mordeith wrote: »
    Just use incognito mode when, ahem, "browsing"

Not what I was asking.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You could prevent access to a site by adding it to the hosts file, but this would not prevent it appearing in search results

That might work, but exactly the answer I was hoping for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you have router access you should be able to blacklist sites.

Basically "parental controls".

E.G. with Virgin Media: https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/parentalcontrols/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Not what I was asking.

Maybe I'm missing something here but you haven't asked to block access to a website, just prevent any evidence of it being looked at. Surely Incognito mode will work for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

mordeith wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here but you haven't asked to block access to a website, just prevent any evidence of it being looked at. Surely Incognito mode will work for that?

Your confusing search history with search results. I don't want the browser to recommend certain sites.

Advertisement