Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 mile cycle commute 5 days a week too much for a low mileage cyclist?

Options
  • 21-09-2017 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭

So not sure if this is in the right space but I usually cycle just 8 miles a day to work and back but job has moved so am now required to commute about 20km each way Monday to Friday.
    I'm run fit but kind of injured so figured Id try the cycle.
    Would this be too much for a low mileage cyclist on a Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭conor_mc

S.L.F. wrote: »
    So not sure if this is in the right space but I usually cycle just 8 miles a day to work and back but job has moved so am now required to commute about 20km each way Monday to Friday.

On any given day, it's easily doable if you're already used to the shorter commute. You might find Mon-Fri a bit exhausting for the first few weeks but you won't be long getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, you'll probably be very tired indeed for a few weeks and then you'll get used to it. That was my experience when I went back to college: my daily commutes went from 5km or so each way to about 15km each way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm doing 19km each way, two or three days a week. it's tough on the legs, but then i do tend to push myself and really should slow down a little. might be worth considering breaking it up - if possible - to drive or use public transport on a wednesday, so you're not doing more than two days in a row?
    i used to do 20km each way four days a week, but then again, i was nearly 15 years younger at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd find it hard, especially with bad weather. I have a short commute on the bike and regret when I have to drive because of bringing tools in to work. (I have two cars)

But, you will be super fit, you will look better, you will live longer, if you have kids you will be able to play with them longer... If there's ever a post-apocalyptic event you will most likely survive and be able to fend for your family, you will have amazing thighs, you will be sharper at work, you will be mentally healthy.

Could you drive on a Friday maybe, when the traffic is lighter? I'd consider a road bike for that distance.

Much more qualified people on here for advice to be honest. Just sticking my oar in here on a long boring job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

might be worth considering breaking it up - if possible - to drive or use public transport on a wednesday, so you're not doing more than two days in a row?
    i used to do 20km each way four days a week, but then again, i was nearly 15 years younger at the time.
    John_Rambo wrote: »

Could you drive on a Friday maybe, when the traffic is lighter? I'd consider a road bike for that distance.

Thanks for the feedback and motivation :D
    I am currently trying to negotiate working in the city centre one or two days so will try and push for that. But you know yourself if people see you getting special treatment and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks for the feedback and motivation :D
    I am currently trying to negotiate working in the city centre one or two days so will try and push for that. But you know yourself if people see you getting special treatment and all that

If you're freeing up traffic by cycling you deserve special treatment!

Tell your boss Rambo say's so.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If you're freeing up traffic by cycling you deserve special treatment!

Tell your boss Rambo say's so.

:pac::pac::D He'll love that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You can do it!! I have a 20km cycle each way and I built up to it gradually, two days a week, then 3 etc. I was doing 5 days a week for a good few months but it can get tiring, especially with the wind we've been having, so I do things like get the bus one day a week and do a part drive/part cycle another day. Mix it up a bit.

Your running fitness will stand to you but your legs might feel it a bit. Use lower gears and higher cadence to make it easier on them and ENJOY :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My commute is 19km each way and I don't cycle it every day. I work 12 hour nightshifts and towards the end of the week I just feel wrecked, but saying that, I always feel guilty if I've driven more than cycled. My car park is quite far from my office so my door to door times for driving or cycling aren't too different.
    As others have said, try and build it up if you can and soon you'll hardly notice the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I had a 15km each way commute for a long time and it just became second nature to me after the first few weeks. Every couple of months fatigue would set in and I'd get a bus or a train to work for a day. The inconvenience/monotony of that one day of not cycling would always kick start me back into cycling again the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

No bother to ya.

Just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

I used to do a 20 km from just above New Ross to Waterford .and 8 hr shift in a bakery so no sitting around for sure .
    Included good climbs on rural roads and early starts and i'm no spring chicken.

So give it a try .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I went from zero to 130km per week over a couple of months easy enough. I do a 22km commute each way 3 days a week, personal commitments mean I can't go to the full 5(Thats what I tell myself anyway :)) but its definately doable but also very nice to have the car to fall back on! My commute is 35 - 45 mins in the car , 55 on the bike or 80+ via public transport so switching to the bike was a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

All of my cycling revolves around work from Monday to Friday. 287 kms this week. Sometimes its over 300 more but usually about 250/260.
    When I first started 8kms each way on a MTB killed me. You will get used to it and then more than likely buy a new bike.

Thanks for the encouragements folks, inspirational stuff. Will defo give it a go next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Any hills on the route or is it flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd say go for it. You say you are a low mileage cyclist but if fit it should be ok for you. You'll need to have all the gear for the winter to remove any potential excuses ( speaking from experience ). The bike itself should be ok - see how you go, you might want to switch to a road bike in a while. Ive a 35km each way to work, I did it 3 days a week for the summer but I'm finding it tough now. It made a huge difference to me, John_rambo ain't joking. I dropped 9kg and gained a lot of fitness. Best of luck to you.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Any hills on the route or is it flat?

Its basically from Glasnevin to Bray road. I dont think its hilly really, just a few drags.

Its basically from Glasnevin to Bray road. I dont think its hilly really, just a few drags.

It'll feel hilly every Friday! :)

My advise would be to travel light! If possible, leave everything you need for work in work. I drive once a week and then cycle the other days. When I drive I bring in a weeks worth of work clothes and I bring home the previous weeks laundry.

Best of luck!

It'll feel hilly every Friday! :)

My advise would be to travel light! If possible, leave everything you need for work in work. I drive once a week and then cycle the other days. When I drive I bring in a weeks worth of work clothes and I bring home the previous weeks laundry.

Best of luck!

Ah very good idea actually. I can usually leave hardware in work but will look at leaving clean stuff for bike in there too....somewhere :D

p.s. when I say I don't think its hilly, I mean to a cycling enthusiast. For me even going up the hill past Guild street is a struggle when i've feck all sleep.

• Advertisement

Do you know how to fix a puncture/replace an inner tube? Have you ever done it at the side of the road when it's dark, cold and wet?

It's no fun, so get your bike checked... if needed, fit new tyres, brake pads and cables.

Have you lights?

This cycling lark is complicated! :)

Do you know how to fix a puncture/replace an inner tube? Have you ever done it at the side of the road when it's dark, cold and wet?

It's no fun, so get your bike checked... if needed, fit new tyres, brake pads and cables.

Have you lights?

This cycling lark is complicated! :)

I do need to relearn to fix a puncture, last time I did i was about 14 and was using a couple of forks and a basin of water :pac:
    I got the bike serviced about a month ago. there was a buckle in it which I think came from Shelbourne Road.Such a piece of crap of a road.
    I have the lights and the gear though thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup good advice on the clothing. Ideally leave some shoes in work to avoid carrying them during the week. It's all about removing any possible excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I do a 30km round trip every day, hail, rain or sun! Shankill to Ballsbridge and I use a single speed. I have the option of taking the car but very rarely regret cycling. Most of the time it's great but occasionally, on a very wet and windy day, it can be hard work! The only time I will leave the bike at home is on a really icy morning and that happens about 3 times a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I'm a little envious of the op. I sometimes wish my commute was a bit longer on the bike, but not when the weather is bad! I'm only doing about 4 miles in total per day but sometimes would maybe like to be doing about 10 miles per day roundtrip.

I walked to work the other day for a change and while it was nice, it was so much slower. I don't walk fast at the best of times. Took the bike again yesterday and couldn't believe how quickly I did the same distance again.

My commute is a bit awkward as taking the train is actually slower as the station is about a 10 min walk from where I live and its only barely faster than walking. Driving is awkward as parking isn't cheap.

When I'm cycling to work I keep having this saying running over in my head that I heard someone say on a podcast once when they talked about cycling "bicycles are great, free to tax and they run on fat" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Is there no way you'd think of just cycling to the dart? I've done a 13k each way cycle to the foot of Dublin mountains and during the winter it wasn't enjoyable at all, esp the uphill on the last stretch. It's kid of hard to travel light as suggested cause it can be fun on sunshine in the morning and snowing on your way home.

I don't mean to be discouraging but you really have to think about the distance& weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

You will be grand. As the others say get a system in place so you are as light as possible. Also be safe - lights and don't take risks etc

I used to be able to commute by bike about 100km total per week but sometimes would add on I really miss it. I had showers and lockers at work and it made such a difference.

Enjoy and best of luck I don't think you will regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I used to commute a 60km round trip Monday to Friday. I did find it tough for the first couple of weeks but can honestly say that I can't recall ever regretting not taking the car!

There were no downsides at all really. My fitness levels went through the roof and I'd find that the physical effort on the home journey would dissipate any negative work vibes I'd endured and would invariably arrive home much fresher than if I'd used the car.

I could also justify upgrading the components on my bike! Added a new Campag 11 speed groupset, closely followed by a new frame!! Go for it, you won't regret it!

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'd find that the physical effort on the home journey would dissipate any negative work vibes I'd endured and would invariably arrive home much fresher than if I'd used the car.

This is what I'm hoping for too along with keeping the weight I'm at but eating my weight in food :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

wish I had the option of a cycle to work most days
    31km one way, along busy main roads

sometimes I drive within 11km of work and do the cycle
    usually on a Friday actually

Advertisement